• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sendou

I still don't get why you think we can't play with the japanese. I literally had an all japanese team in League a few hours ago.

They destroyed us.

You can but you need good ping to them. Basically means either west coast of the US or Australia or something. If you're European playing against Japan isn't really a thing.

ChrisD

I still don't get why you think we can't play with the japanese. I literally had an all japanese team in League a few hours ago.

They destroyed us.

Maybe it doesn't pseudo-lock in League Mode?

I can hop on Splatoon 1 right now and lobbies still fill up in a few seconds. All Japanese folk sans me, and that's totally fine. Splatoon 2, I've seen less than ten Japanese names. Even in Ranked modes. What I have seen is a lot of waiting. And lobby timeouts.

Still haven't played League Mode, so I'm just talking from Turf War/Solo Ranked experience.

Also I'm hard wired, so it's not my connection. Also haven't D/C'd once in over 110 hours of play.

Stealth edit: oh... Above answers it. RIP, I guess my ping still sucks too much for the distance.

Okay let me reword things: Nintendo please change your ping-based business, I want to play at 3AM and - understandably - very few others in a ping-search are also playing.

You can but you need good ping to them. Basically means either west coast of the US or Australia or something. If you're European playing against Japan isn't really a thing.

When I worked my way into a Japanese TW room the connection was way smoother than it is when I let Nintendo pick randoms for me. Nobody disconnected and I didn't come across any bullet (ink) sponges like I do when I play with random euros. That makes me think there's some pretty brutal geoblocking at play instead of ping-based matchmaking.

Peléo;245815180 said:
Haven't had the chance to buy it yet but I have a question for you all: Is Salmon Run as good as it seems?

Probably what I am most looking forward to right now.
Yes. When it's on I actually find myself wondering if I prefer it to the other modes. Not that they're bad - the entire game is great - but SR has a persistent sense of progression and reward that helps fend off the poor rounds and the rounds that go great are on par with the enjoyment of winning in any other part of the game.

Honestly, I'd happily pay for more Salmon Run content if I had the chance.

ChrisD

Pretty off-topic, but I just realized that I've already read about ping-based matchmaking before. On launch day, and even yesterday. Perhaps I shouldn't have been playing anyways if I couldn't remember stuff I read about just yesterday. Trouble sleeping (yet keeping the poor mindset and memory that comes with sleepiness) is fun, guys.

I'm still calling some sort of locking going on. Have no evidence like Ghirahim above, but it just seems like... I don't know. Things can't all be ping. If that is the sole matchmaker at work here, it needs revamped.

DG2ze_uU0AATp-R.jpg

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/895571166554750976

Summer vacation gears coming to Splatnet2 in the next 6 days?

Just tried Ranked for the first time and played a few rounds of Splat Zones. Something that was frustrating as fuck in one match was my team held the zone for a better part of the match, but when we lost and regained control, we had a ridiculous amount of time to hold it before it started counting down the actual score/timer again. What is the deal with that? How does it work?

I feel like they should just do a flat amount of seconds to take or regain control, not penalize the winning team with some absurd buffer clock.

Yeah, I never liked Splat Zones because of the weird rubberbanding with the timer.
It's essentially Splat Zones' equivalent to the Rainmaker/Tower resetting to the middle. Comebacks would be atrociously difficult without the penalty, and it'd be the only mode where progress made is effectively permanent. It's more balanced this way.

They destroyed us.
You may have a low enough ping to Japan to be matched with them, but I certainly don't.

8bit

Knows the Score
I got dropped into a Salmon Run on my own last night, expected to farm one egg and two grillers turned up. I think that was a clear go to bed signal from Nintendo.

DrArchon

Man, they have the Inkfall Shirt in the app now, but it's with Ninja Squid. Not sure if want. :/

Ninja Squid's disgusting. It's so easy to get kills with it. Just wait in a corner for a second or two and gank someone when they come around.

I'm not a fan of Toni Kensa as a brand though, but I guess Cold Blooded combos well with Ninja Squid.

Griss

I side-loaded that Switch Online app and it works perfectly despite the region locking. Relief! Also the features for Splatoon are really surprisingly good and thorough - I'm impressed.

So I have a question about stats - at the end of a match or on the app, you see your kills and then kills by special. Are kills total kills including special or are they separate stats?

So if I see:
Kills: 6
Special: 2

Does that mean I killed 4 people with my main / subs and 6 overall or 6 people with my main subs and 8 overall.

Also, I've tried out 4 different types of weapon now. Going through my records, my 'P-score' was shockingly low with the roller despite feeling like I was painting a ton of stuff all the time. With the aerospray, however, I've gone from like 600-700 (roller) to 1,000-1,200. And I wouldn't have noticed the difference if not for the stats screen. I guess I should stick with the aerospray for now. I felt like I absolutely sucked with the Dualies but averaged between 900-1,000. Would have sworn the roller was my best weapon, funny how that works.

Jintor

The ๖ۜBronx;245824724 said:
Avocado is one of the best things on the planet. Be careful what you say, I may have to splat you.

you've never had a smashed avocado have you

i bet you can afford a house or some shit. not like us poor inklings.

oppressed by squid boomers

Doorman

I side-loaded that Switch Online app and it works perfectly despite the region locking. Relief! Also the features for Splatoon are really surprisingly good and thorough - I'm impressed.

So I have a question about stats - at the end of a match or on the app, you see your kills and then kills by special. Are kills total kills including special or are they separate stats?

So if I see:
Kills: 6
Special: 2

Does that mean I killed 4 people with my main / subs and 6 overall or 6 people with my main subs and 8 overall.

Also, I've tried out 4 different types of weapon now. Going through my records, my 'P-score' was shockingly low with the roller despite feeling like I was painting a ton of stuff all the time. With the aerospray, however, I've gone from like 600-700 to 1,000-1,200. And I wouldn't have noticed the difference if not for the stats screen. I guess I should stick with the aerospray for now. I felt like I absolutely sucked with the Dualies but averaged between 900-1,000. Would have sworn the roller was my best weapon, funny how that works.
The "special" stat you see is not kills with special, but your number of special activations. Not every special is designed to get straight kills, after all.

Jims

What you got against my babies? :mad:

Nothing, I just like the classic setup with Ink Resistance and the Rockenburg brand. Putting Drop Roller on them feels like it's ruining the boots.

Although I'm probably just being nostalgic. Man, everyone was wearing those boots back in the first splatoon for awhile.

DrArchon

Nothing, I just like the classic setup with Ink Resistance and the Rockenburg brand. Putting Drop Roller on them feels like it's ruining the boots.

Although I'm probably just being nostalgic. Man, everyone was wearing those boots back in the first splatoon for awhile.

I mean, the normal Blue Moto Boots are really good too. Ink Resistance is a great ability to have. I just want to try out Drop Roller some more and see how it fairs. Anything that'll allow me to super jump more often and die less sounds great to me.

And if I don't like, it's not like it'll be hard to get the classic Blue Moto Boots back. Tons of people wear them.

XaosWolf

The ๖ۜBronx;245828550 said:
I think the black one is really nice, any idea on when or where they'll be available?

KoG do ship internationally but it looks like they're not up on the English site yet.

Their other Sploon shirts are up though.

KoG do ship internationally but it looks like they're not up on the English site yet.

Their other Sploon shirts are up though.
EditMode's King of Games right? Not really looked too much into it before but already heavily considering this one, having liked it in-game before knowing it existed:

08301547_57c52beb86651.jpg

08040105_55bf9150df597.jpg

Thanks for the info.

What is a better game to play with a five year old? This or Mario Kart 8 Delux?

I have a hard time believing a 5 year old would do anything but struggle with this game. There's also no "playing with" unless you just mean watching.

MK8 actually has some great hand-holding features that would allow literally anyone to finish a race regardless of age.

So I'd say MK8.

Deku Tree

I have a hard time believing a 5 year old would do anything but struggle with this game. There's also no "playing with" unless you just mean watching.

MK8 actually has some great hand-holding features that would allow literally anyone to finish a race regardless of age.

So I'd say MK8.

Thanks!

13ruce

Banned
Goddamn the webshop/store that does pop/movie/gaming culture merchandise and clothes in my country should already stock up/make Splatoon stuff D=

XaosWolf

The ๖ۜBronx;245829190 said:
EditMode's King of Games right? Not really looked too much into it before but already heavily considering this one, having liked it in-game before knowing it existed:

Thanks for the info.

Just as a heads up: may want to check the size chart and possibly go one above you usually do!

13ruce

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;245829190 said:

Thanks for the info.

Holy shit i am gonna order those soon if possible do they ship world wide?

13ruce

Banned
The ๖ۜBronx;245829890 said:
I believe so, still having a look around, here's the link:
https://editmode.jp/shop/html/en/products/detail.php?product_id=450

Ah nice i hope someone also makes those white and black vneck shirts.

And those squidkid IV blue/red big sneakers.

Damn lol rip my wallet if more stores start making Splatoon clothes.

They do, I got Marie and Callie Splatfest shirts from them earlier this year.

:O now i want those too and nice thanks will bookmark/save the link/shop.

XaosWolf

Ah nice i hope someone also makes those white and black vneck shirts.

And those squidkid IV blue/red big sneakers.

Damn lol rip my wallet if more stores start making Splatoon clothes.

:O now i want those too and nice thanks will bookmark/save the link/shop.

I think the Marie shirt might be sold out though.
Be sure to switch to the English site at the top right.

13ruce

Banned
I think the Marie shirt might be sold out though.
Be sure to switch to the English site at the top right.

Yeah i see that one supports paypal luckily. Sadly the Marie one is sold out maybe it gets new stock later so i will keep an eye on it.

Will order a couple of things end of the month:p

Damn lol would not surprised if in 2018 i have a new full wardrobe full of Splatoon branded gear/clothes damn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom