• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT| Fresh Squids 2 Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there some sort of algorithm that determines which skill level of opponents you face each match in Turf Wars?

I'm a level 19 and I'm constantly facing cold blooded killers. I can just barely hold my own most of the time.

If I switch over to my wife's account who's a level 17 and play it's like night and day.

More people are playing the objective and I can navigate around the map without feeling intense anxiety over which direction I'm going to get assaulted from next.

I could easily splat most of the players on her account but generally avoid doing so because I don't want to be that asshole ruining the experience for the types of players my wife gets matched up against.

I want to figure out how to face the same type of players she's paired against as it's a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Basically I feel like I'm playing Team Deathmatch on my account and playing what I feel like Turf Wars should be like on her account.
In turf wars, you're matched by play style, not skill level.

If you kill a lot, you'll be matched against people who kill a lot. If you just paint a lot, you'll be matched against people who just paint a lot.

That's what the developers have stated in interviews, anyway. It's probably more complicated than that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
God damn that was hype. Won my first game from forcing OT in tower control, came from like 20 points behind to win by 1.

Awesome! I won a ranked match too when we came back after only have 1 HP left in Splat Zones... or did we lose? I forget how it happened, somebody made an incredible comeback. It was exciting, even though we lost! That team did awesome!

I think I'm starting to see some turf war trolling with players who don't paint a damn thing, end up with 0 points, and just go around killing the other team. I don't know if this has been a thing for a while or not, but it happened in pretty all of my turf war matches today.

Vanilla Splattershot for Splatzones, anything rangy for Tower Control, usually splattershot pro for me.

52 Gal feels like it's got less range than last time to me, even though supposedly it's the same as the splattershot still.

Or Tri Slosher.

I believe .52Gal, splattershot and zapper all get attack range reduced in Splatoon 2, while tri slosher gets a range increase. Also attack range != ink cover range.

phanphare

Banned
I think I'm starting to see some turf war trolling with players who don't paint a damn thing, end up with 0 points, and just go around killing the other team. I don't know if this has been a thing for a while or not, but it happened in pretty all of my turf war matches today.

that means they're disconnecting during the match

Is there some sort of algorithm that determines which skill level of opponents you face each match in Turf Wars?

I'm a level 19 and I'm constantly facing cold blooded killers. I can just barely hold my own most of the time.

If I switch over to my wife's account who's a level 17 and play it's like night and day.

More people are playing the objective and I can navigate around the map without feeling intense anxiety over which direction I'm going to get assaulted from next.

I could easily splat most of the players on her account but generally avoid doing so because I don't want to be that asshole ruining the experience for the types of players my wife gets matched up against.

I want to figure out how to face the same type of players she's paired against as it's a much more enjoyable experience for me.

Basically I feel like I'm playing Team Deathmatch on my account and playing what I feel like Turf Wars should be like on her account.
There indeed is an algorithm working behind the scenes to group people of similar playstyles and experience together. Level is not the main determinant in matchmaking; level just represents how long one has played the game (though you do level up faster if you win more often).

Finally got my first S rank in a Splatoon game.

DG1L0O-VwAA6Gu7.jpg
Congrats! :)

If you kill a lot, you'll be matched against people who kill a lot. If you just paint a lot, you'll be matched against people who just paint a lot.

That's what the developers have stated in interviews, anyway. It's probably more complicated than that.

Sort of a Catch-22.

In order to win in that environment, you have to survive. In order to survive, you have to splat other players frequently. In turn, you are paired with others that also splat you frequently.

I'll have to just play a lot of matches where I avoid splatting others and get splatted a lot so I can get away from those sorts of players.

Rahk

Sort of a Catch-22.

In order to win in that environment, you have to survive. In order to survive, you have to splat other players frequently. In turn, you are paired with others that also splat you frequently.

I'll have to just play a lot of matches where I avoid splatting others and get splatted a lot so I can get away from those sorts of players.
Just use something that can ink quickly like the Aerospray or Sploosh and focus on painting the map. Swim away if you see any enemies. The curling bombs on the Sploosh are good to swim away through enemy territory.

Even if you're still getting splatted a lot at first, eventually it should start pairing you with people more focused on painting if that's how matchmaking works.

Kangi

S rank suddenly feels... easier. Granted I haven't played much of it the past couple of days, but man. Bucket mains walking face-first into my gun, Sploosh-o-matics going, "Ummm no sweetie this is MY high ground ;)", chargers with 0 kills... the heck happened? All the cool kids in S+ now?

Doorman

Ah, ok. I never saw players still rack up kills and using specials when they've dropped out.

If someone disconnects midway through a match, the game will still show the tally of their splats and specials that they'd received up to that point, the 0p thing is mostly just to show proof that they disconnected. Usually if you get zeroes across the board it means that they probably disconnected right at the word "go."

Cyanity

Banned
thanks, do you know how I get tickets for the food truck?

You can find tickets hidden throughout the single player campaign, as well as from the gatcha bonuses from doing Salmon Run!

Just tried Ranked for the first time and played a few rounds of Splat Zones. Something that was frustrating as fuck in one match was my team held the zone for a better part of the match, but when we lost and regained control, we had a ridiculous amount of time to hold it before it started counting down the actual score/timer again. What is the deal with that? How does it work?

I feel like they should just do a flat amount of seconds to take or regain control, not penalize the winning team with some absurd buffer clock.

Afaik, the penalty your team takes for losing control of the splat zone is the difference between your team's time left to win and 100. The other team doesn't get a penalty unless your team takes their splat zone back *after* they're in the lead. It's an incentive to hold the point throughout the entire match, with a steep price for failure.

bumpkin

Just tried Ranked for the first time and played a few rounds of Splat Zones. Something that was frustrating as fuck in one match was my team held the zone for a better part of the match, but when we lost and regained control, we had a ridiculous amount of time to hold it before it started counting down the actual score/timer again. What is the deal with that? How does it work?

I feel like they should just do a flat amount of seconds to take or regain control, not penalize the winning team with some absurd buffer clock.

Yeah, I never liked Splat Zones because of the weird rubberbanding with the timer.

DrArchon

Is there any point in using the normal Slosher when the Tri-Slosher exists in the state that it's in? I used the normal one for a bit to see if I could get the freshness bonus for it, but it really seems worse it just about every way. I guess its slosh goes a tiny bit farther, but not enough to make up for the fact that the Tri-Slosher gains all of that extra horizontal space with its sloshes.

Also, quick FYI for anyone with the app, they've got Blue Moto Boots with Drop Roller for sale on SplatNet. Rockenburg's a great brand, and Drop Roller's a decent ability from what I've seen, so if you want it, go get it.

AaronMT86

Figured out that for Drop Roller you just need to hold L stick forward to do a forward tumble as you land from a Super Jump. It won't allow you to do a side roll.

Jims

Also, quick FYI for anyone with the app, they've got Blue Moto Boots with Drop Roller for sale on SplatNet. Rockenburg's a great brand, and Drop Roller's a decent ability from what I've seen, so if you want it, go get it.

Please refrain from ruining the Blue Moto Boots. :p

Estoc

But I'm not trying to kill!! They just kept running in front of my gun, my trusty NES gun. This is so unfair, it's not my fault they ran in front of my guns, 10+ times, in one game... I honestly just paint. :(

Nelo Ice

Banned
28 splats in rainmaker and I was pretty much the only reason the game even hit 5 mins lol. Of course we lost.
Edit: and just had 26 splats right at their goal with nearly the whole team dead and the guy with the rainmaker site there just randomly blasting.

Makeda

I hate that I'm only level 5 yet seem to routinely come out on top of teammates who are some 10-20 levels higher than me because they get too caught up in kills rather than inking turf

totowhoa

Banned
Is the weird lag issue where you die behind a wall or whatever a way bigger issue in this game vs the first? Sorry if it's been discussed to death but I experienced this nonsense 3 times in an hour tonight (during port mackerel - more opportunity there) and it drove me nuts, it just makes me wonder how many less obvious instances of this I'm experiencing with no kill cam :/ I start doubting every death that blindsides me.

I dunno if I wanna play this game competitively now :/ The weird deaths just seem so much worse.

Maridia

I hate that I'm only level 5 yet seem to routinely come out on top of teammates who are some 10-20 levels higher than me because they get too caught up in kills rather than inking turf

Arguably, you wouldn't be able to ink turf if they weren't getting kills. There's a delicate balance to be struck between making sure that your own team is gaining territory and making sure that the enemy isn't.

Peléo

Haven't had the chance to buy it yet but I have a question for you all: Is Salmon Run as good as it seems?

Probably what I am most looking forward to right now.

Yeah, I'm still thinking it'll be Salmon Run related because on 8/12 there's a 30 hour rotation, which is unusual compared to the expected 24 hour rotations.
Good spot. Hopefully something coming for it. I'm still surprised by just how much I enjoy it. When it's on I barely touch the other modes. I think the progress toward visible rewards helps a lot, I feel a value in pressing on after a failure more.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Then it's the fountain round and people REFUSE to yell "This Way!" when the goldie appears
I still really don't understand that round. Seems to be complete pot luck, even with the whole brightest light hint. So easy to just not meet the quota cos Goldie never appears.

ChrisD

Nintendo, please let everyone play with Japan again.

Signed, someone on their ninth minute of waiting for a match, waiting on the tenth to arrive so that rotation happens and I can just give up my search without it counting as giving up.

random25

Peléo;245815180 said:
Haven't had the chance to buy it yet but I have a question for you all: Is Salmon Run as good as it seems?

Probably what I am most looking forward to right now.

It's my most played mode in S2, if it's available. So I'll recommend that mode.

Nintendo, please let everyone play with Japan again.

Signed, someone on their ninth minute of waiting for a match, waiting on the tenth to arrive so that rotation happens and I can just give up my search without it counting as giving up.

I still don't get why you think we can't play with the japanese. I literally had an all japanese team in League a few hours ago.

They destroyed us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom