• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon - Nintendo's next smash bros?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Splatoon characters would be ideal for sports such as street soccer or skateboarding. I'm sure we'll see them again.

Hoo-doo

Banned
How? It's a new IP on an abysmal-selling console featuring cartoony graphics with a young girl/squid and cover art that looks like a Nickelodeon movie.

2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

Let me be clear: I'm getting this game and hope it does well, I just don't see it happening.

Holy shit, I forgot how terrible the boxart was.

It's okay to go for a busy and colorful boxart, but this is setting off so many shovelware sirens to me personally. It even makes the characters look like some off-brand weekend project when I know they aren't.

herod

I think they should call it "Nintendo's Splatoon" or "Splatoon Wii U" or something like that. New IP like this needs a leg up, especially on Wii U.

Splatoon is going to be a flop, because it doesn't star Mario, and feature familiar Nintendo characters.

Yeah the game will bomb, and as such it'll cause Nintendo to be even more inward-looking and reluctant when it comes to pushing new IP with a budget, but having said that it'll definitely be good. I actually think it's the most exciting thing to come out of Nintendo in years.

I think they should call it "Nintendo's Splatoon" or "Splatoon Wii U" or something like that. New IP like this needs a leg up, especially on Wii U.

Hopefully they will use their name and famous IPs to promote Splatoon, kinda like put them at the same level of Mario, Link etc. Perhaps a commercial with a less cheesy version of "from the creators of..."
If Splatoon is going to be their next big thing, they should really push it hard. But I doubt they will considering they have been kinda tame promoting Smash (to the mainstream/non Wii U owners) despite the heavy hitting line-up. :/

It's not a given that slapping Mario on the box would improve sales, though.

It's not a given, but it's very, very likely in the case of this game. But I still like them trying it.

Wii Sports was the result of Nintendo making a game that wasn't for the audience that was already buying Mario. Splatoon seems to be made along the same lines. I don't think it'll sell gangbusters by any means, but I don't think we can write it off until we see how it does in the wild.

Wii Sports wasn't the result of Nintendo targeting a "non-Mario" market, at least not specifically in those terms. It was the result of them specifically creating a game they thought had as wide of appeal as possible. That's not the same thing. Targeting a "non-Mario" market describes Splatoon better than Wii Sports. I'll be pleasantly surprised if Splatoon does well, but it's no Wii Sports. It's targeting such a narrow demographic crossover (competitive FPS crossed with cartoonish presentation), and on a system with such a small market in the first place, that it's almost guaranteed to do poorly.

Hopefully they will use their name and famous IPs to promote Splatoon, kinda like put them at the same level of Mario, Link etc. Perhaps a commercial with a less cheesy version of "from the creators of..."
If Splatoon is going to be their next big thing, they should really push it hard. But I doubt they will considering they have been kinda tame promoting Smash (to the mainstream/non Wii U owners) despite the heavy hitting line-up. :/

Could they do a commercial that featured Mario and Bowser(for example), and almost like a Smash reveal trailer the Splatoon gang interrupts their fight and just overtakes everything? Or would that be considered false advertising?

JimboJones

Mario will sneak his way in through amiibo support! or not...but I wonder if what plans if any they have for amiibo guessing just costume changes or somthing.

It's not, and I think anyone who thinks it'll be that big is delusional. Quote me after it actually releases all you want if I'm wrong and I'll eat crow, this game just doesn't look like something with mass appeal. I will say that it looks like a blast to play and something I'm picking up day 1. Just not a multiplayer phenomenon on the tier of Smash and Kart.
Agreed. I think Splatoon was an experiment Nintendo is willing to ride out but it's not a major new IP.

If it were you could be sure Nintendo would put all their manpower into incorporating their roster.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
No, there is very little chance that Splatoon will end up being as popular as SSB.

But since we're on the subject, I really wish Nintendo would have a SSB type racing game. That would be tits.

Sandfox

It looks like Nintendo is going to push the game hard enough to where I see it doing decent enough depending on your expectations and it looks like something that appeals to the Wii U audience. I don't get the W101 and Bayonetta 2 comparisons.

From first hand experience with tons of hardcore Nintendo fans, this game will bomb hard unfortunately.

3rd parties unfortunately are right. The vast majority of Nintendo fans are not interested in anything but their favourite IPs, and yes that even includes being picky even with Nintendos catalogue.

I've tried to get some people excited for this game in my local Streetpass group, but man everyone just hated it or didn't care for it.
Nintendo cultivated such a toxic userbase it's hard to see how they can do anything to get out of that swamp of entitled die hard fans unwilling to diversify their gaming consumption without cutting that dead weight completely.

Anyway, I know I'm going to enjoy this game a lot when it comes out. I had a ton of fun with WiiU online games so far, so this should be no different, just that I won't have a local team but again an online acquaintances only.

Game Guru

I actually think Splatoon will at least do well relative to the Wii U's sales and, being a title that isn't the usual suspects, it will end up actually encouraging Wii U sales... Not enough to push it over the GameCube, but enough to note that people bought a Wii U for Splatoon.

Never bet against Nintendo when they take on a popular genre and shooters are a popular genre.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but all evidence of past WiiU titles sales points to this being as popular as a guy shitting in the font at a christening.

I'll be there day one, since I love bright colours, quirky worlds and characters, and most critically TPS's, but I'm well aware that I'm very much in the minority, even more so amongst Nintendo fans.

From first hand experience with tons of hardcore Nintendo fans, this game will bomb hard unfortunately.

3rd parties unfortunately are right. The vast majority of Nintendo fans are not interested in anything but their favourite IPs, and yes that even includes being picky even with Nintendos catalogue.

I've tried to get some people excited for this game in my local Streetpass group, but man everyone just hated it or didn't care for it.
Nintendo cultivated such a toxic userbase it's hard to see how they can do anything to get out of that swamp of entitled die hard fans unwilling to diversify their gaming consumption without cutting that dead weight completely.

Anyway, I know I'm going to enjoy this game a lot when it comes out. I had a ton of fun with WiiU online games so far, so this should be no different, just that I won't have a local team but again an online acquaintances only.

To a large extent I agree; especially on the Wii U. Some Nintendo fans have an almost snobbish attitude toward anything that's not Mario. Admittedly, this is partially Nintendo's fault, because they brand themselves - especially in the West - as The Mario (and Zelda ...and other stuff) Company. I mean, when most gamers hear 'Nintendo fan' I don't think it's a stretch to say most people would assume they were Mario fans; I'd go as far to say that the two are mostly synonymous.

That we have people who are angry, upset, or disappointed that Splatoon is starring something other than Mario is a testament to that. These aren't people complaining that it might have sold better as Mario, because they're armchair analysts, but people who say they would have bought it if it starred Mario but won't because it doesn't. The fact that Miyamoto said they considered shoe-horning Mario into the gameplay has only acted as some sort of rallying cry for those sort of people.

That's both a great thing on one level, but must be terrifying and/or limiting on another level as a game creator.

-MB-

What's up with all the self-fulflling prophecies in here, it sounds like some of you want this to flop bad so much.

To a large extent I agree; especially on the Wii U. Some Nintendo fans have an almost snobbish attitude toward anything that's not Mario. Admittedly, this is partially Nintendo's fault, because they brand themselves - especially in the West - as The Mario (and Zelda ...and other stuff) Company. I mean, when most gamers hear 'Nintendo fan' I don't think it's a stretch to say most people would assume they were Mario fans; I'd go as far to say that the two are mostly synonymous.

That we have people who are angry, upset, or disappointed that Splatoon is starring something other than Mario is a testament to that. These aren't people complaining that it might have sold better as Mario, because they're armchair analysts, but people who say they would have bought it if it starred Mario but won't because it doesn't. The fact that Miyamoto said they considered shoe-horning Mario into the gameplay has only acted as some sort of rallying cry for those sort of people.

That's both a great thing on one level, but must be terrifying and/or limiting on another level as a game creator.

Nintendo needs to stop pandering to those fans. It's a stagnant market with no potential to grow.
Nintendo will need tons more games like Splatoon. Regardless of comercial success. They have to start at the very bottom because there's nothing left to salvage.
For their sake I hope they continue on using their established IPs to make money to fund games that might help them cultivate a new more diverse and expandable customer base.

Nintendo needs to stop pandering to those fans. It's a stagnant market with no potential to grow.
Nintendo will need tons more games like Splatoon. Regardless of comercial success. They have to start at the very bottom because there's nothing left to salvage.
For their sake I hope they continue on using their established IPs to make money to fund games that might help them cultivate a new more diverse and expandable customer base.

Mario, I bet, pays for a lot of things at Nintendo. So I think pandering, in some forms, is a good idea. Like that Puzzle & Dragons Mario cross-over, SMB amiibo, or the badges in the (as yet Japan only) Badge Collection Center. They're clearly exploring expanding Pokemon, Mario and Zelda through various side-projects and spin offs. If someone was swayed into buying Rayman Legends because of it's Mario costumes (or any of the other numerous instances Nintendo has allowed the last few years), then that's probably worth it.

Milk that money out a little to pay for stuff like Splatoon or Code Name S.T.E.A.M. or Rusty's Real Deal Baseball - big, middle, and little new ideas. That Mario money allows them the freedom to not care as much about whether or not Splatoon is a success or not. It's probably very easy to be addicted and/or paralysed by that.

Mario, I bet, pays for a lot of things at Nintendo. So I think pandering, in some forms, is a good idea. Like that Puzzle & Dragons Mario cross-over, SMB amiibo, or the badges in the (as yet Japan only) Badge Collection Center. They're clearly exploring expanding Pokemon, Mario and Zelda through various side-projects and spin offs. If someone was swayed into buying Rayman Legends because of it's Mario costumes (or any of the other numerous instances Nintendo has allowed the last few years), then that's probably worth it.

Milk that money out a little to pay for stuff like Splatoon or Code Name S.T.E.A.M. or Rusty's Real Deal Baseball - big, middle, and little new ideas. That Mario money allows them the freedom to not care as much about whether or not Splatoon is a success or not. It's probably very easy to be addicted and/or paralysed by that.
The problem is, that they seem to still put more focus on their toxic core instead of going full steam to cultivate a new market.
This E3 will be quite telling as to where their priorities lie.

NotLiquid

What's up with all the self-fulflling prophecies in here, it sounds like some of you want this to flop bad so much.

While I would say a large portion of GAF (which still only really serves as a vocal minority at best) probably takes more pride in their armchair analytic abilities over a game's fortune, realistically there isn't that much of a precedent for a game like Splatoon to do all that well, and there's a bunch of reasons for that.

The best case scenario would be that with all the work Nintendo's put in it to act as their next "major" all-stars IP (i.e something that would be distinguishing enough to perhaps be immortalized in something like Smash Bros), it might do well enough to meet or surpass some level-headed expectations, and that it can see potential growth in terms of sequels, branding etc. on things that might not involve the Wii U, because not a lot of things are destined to do well on that.

I don't think anyone actively wants this game to fail. Many people who aren't even Nintendo fans admit that this is one of the most original things to have come out from them in some time and is a positive step forward in terms of original software ideas. The upside is that Nintendo have usually been known to make the best of what they create, and if any developer out there can recognize the potential of a great idea regardless of what impact it may have (hopefully also realizing that said idea isn't necessarily going to perform greatly based on circumstances beyond itself), it's definitely them.

noshten

A lot of negativity in this thread, I do wonder what other TPS Splatoon has to compete with on the Wii U. Especially Multiplier games like Splatoon are none existent at the moment.
There will be a serious push to spread the word to the existing Wii U owners, no doubt it won't be a system seller but it will get good numbers across the existing user base.

A lot of negativity in this thread, I do wonder what other TPS Splatoon has to compete with on the Wii U. Especially Multiplier games like Splatoon are none existent at the moment.
There will be a serious push to spread the word to the existing Wii U owners, no doubt it won't be a system seller but it will get good numbers across the existing user base.

How many Action games did Bayonetta 2 compete with?

Crema

I'm still not convinced the game will be interesting enough for a sizable community to build up around it. I get the feeling constantly holding the trigger down and just randomly spraying the environment will get old very quickly and we haven't seen anything yet to suggest the game is anything more than that.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I'm still not convinced the game will be interesting enough for a sizable community to build up around it. I get the feeling constantly holding the trigger down and just randomly spraying the environment will get old very quickly and we haven't seen anything yet to suggest the game is anything more than that.
wat

You can play Splatoon as an action game if you want. The mix of gameplay is what's brilliant about it.

noshten

Schreckstoff said:
How many Action games did Bayonetta 2 compete with?
Because Action games like Bayonetta sell millions in months on other platforms?

You cannot really compare a Platinum Action game to a TPS, the demographics and popularity of these genres are completely different.

I'd hope so, but from what I've seen (sizable group of 40 plus Nintendo fans from 16 to 40 years old) almost no one was interested.

Still, I know I'll support them. Game was amazing from what I played last year.

Because Action games like Bayonetta sell millions in months on other platforms?

You cannot really compare a Platinum Action game to a TPS, the demographics and popularity of these genres are completely different.

Splatoon isn't your typical TPS either so I don't get where you get the comparison from.

How many multiplayer focused TPS are there, how many of those sell millions in months on other platforms and how many of those feature kid friendly aesthetics?

Also isn't there also Devil's Third. I mean the single player looked horrible but the MP looked interesting

noshten

Schreckstoff said:
Splatoon isn't your typical TPS either so I don't get where you get the comparison from.

How many multiplayer focused TPS are there, how many of those sell millions in months on other platforms and how many of those feature kid friendly aesthetics?

It's a Nintendo TPS, we won't know how it will sell until it's released. My prediction is million copies to be sold by the end of 2015.
I think there is plenty of people interested in this game. Personally as a guy who hasn't played a shooter since 1.6 to get me interested in a shooter it takes something special. I think the mechanics of Splatoon are the reason why I'm excited about this game, ever since the reveal I thought about how there could be tons of interesting modes they could add-on later on. Personally I don't really care about the aesthetics - as long as it's as fun as it looked on the directs where they had teams square off against each other.

People bring up "holding a button to shoot" will get old but racing games for example require you to hold a button at all times.

Wii U is growing, thanks to its first party games. This is another potential hit, which is far cooler than Pikmin for instance. This doom talk is weird.

I guess technically the wii U's install base is growing but it's looking to be even less successful than even the GameCube and possibly by some margin. It's not exactly a healthy market for a niche new IP to try and launch into.

I think you've got to be deluded to think this doom talk is weird. The wii U is tanking badly, like not much better than dream cast levels. It's hard to paint any sort of rosy picture.

I think this game has a lot of potential. Nintendo needs to promote it heavily though. if its going to be a big hit is anyones guess.

its a good thing that is not leaving may completely barren with their releases though

I guess technically the wii U's install base is growing but it's looking to be even less successful than even the GameCube and possibly by some margin. It's not exactly a healthy market for a niche new IP to try and launch into.

I think you've got to be deluded to think this doom talk is weird. The wii U is tanking badly, like not much better than dream cast levels. It's hard to paint any sort of rosy picture.

The only way out for Nintendo is to launch new IPs trying to get a new consumer base going. Relying on their core audience is what caused them to falter into irrelevance.
The difference is in expectation. At this point they can't seriously hope to salvage the WiiU from becoming their worst failure in company history (excluding the Virtual Boy), but they can foster a new audience that actually buys different kinds of games rather than the entitled old guard that is too stuck up on their own taste to even consider anything else. Exactly the kind of fans that they are left with right now. Good to milk, but impossible to ignite growth with.

It's a Nintendo TPS, we won't know how it will sell until it's released. My prediction is million copies to be sold by the end of 2015.
I think there is plenty of people interested in this game. Personally as a guy who hasn't played a shooter since 1.6 to get me interested in a shooter it takes something special. I think the mechanics of Splatoon are the reason why I'm excited about this game, ever since the reveal I thought about how there could be tons of interesting modes they could add-on later on. Personally I don't really care about the aesthetics - as long as it's as fun as it looked on the directs where they had teams square off against each other.

People bring up "holding a button to shoot" will get old but racing games for example require you to hold a button at all times.

but that was kinda my point it's not a game that will necessarily attract the same crowd as your typical TPS.

Personally I find it to look very intriguing, yet not enough to blindly buy it.

I guess a demo pulled off well could help the game immensely.

DizzyCrow

While it probably won't be a system seller or as big as Smash Bros, I think it can reach 1 million LTD and hopefully turns into a franchise. I also hope it becomes successful enough to Nintendo use them in some (or all) of their arcade sports games instead of just Mario, something like Mario Sports Mix would be a good start.

Gsnap

Don't know. Hope it does well. But I'm gonna force my friend to get it, so there's two sales right here.

Thumbs up.

I actually think Splatoon will at least do well relative to the Wii U's sales and, being a title that isn't the usual suspects, it will end up actually encouraging Wii U sales... Not enough to push it over the GameCube, but enough to note that people bought a Wii U for Splatoon.

Never bet against Nintendo when they take on a popular genre and shooters are a popular genre.

What about this game makes you think people are going to spend $300 to play it? I think Splatoon will be solid mechanic-wise but it's not going to be a system seller like Zelda, Mario Kart, Smash, etc.

radcliff

I think one of the biggest things going against this game is its art style. It seems to be very divisive. Some people seem to love it, while others hate it. Unfortunately, I am in the latter camp. While I think the gameplay looks cool, I can't look at this game without thinking its based on some bad 90s Nickelodeon cartoon. Some of the fan art I have seen looks better than the official art, IMO. I am not saying this this be some gritty realistic looking shooter, either. Maybe cell-shaded would have worked really well.

Illucio

Banned
How? It's a new IP on an abysmal-selling console featuring cartoony graphics with a young girl/squid and cover art that looks like a Nickelodeon movie.

2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

Let me be clear: I'm getting this game and hope it does well, I just don't see it happening.

Wait. WHA? That's the box art? No shit. It does look like a Nickelodeon movie/game.... I have such high hopes for this game, and I'm buying it day 1. It simply looks like a pure fun game. I hope it gets good advertising, because this game looks too good to pass up.

LesPaul

I think that the Game will be big with people on GAF but I do not think that it will be a hit for more casual gamers just because the few that own a Wii U will probably stick to the Mario Games and others that Nintendo has already established. That said I think it will be a great game. And maybe if they do a sequel it will be more recognised by casual gamers.

Jims

Why is Bayonetta 2 regularly a comparison point in this thread? Splatoon is almost nothing like Bayonetta 2 in terms of its market appeal.

Bayonetta 2 is an M-rated title filled with blood and, uh, adult themes. The logic of, "This game is going to turn off the large family-friendly segment of Wii U" is a sound one. Splatoon has no such "problems" from a general marketing perspective. They can market it toward people who like shooters. They can market it to kids and parents who like bright, cartoony things. They can even market it to people who just dislike violence in general. Splatoon plays to way many more types of people than Bayonetta 2.

Bayonetta 2 is about as "anime" as you can get. It's like comparing How to Train Your Dragon to Attack on Titan. Let's face it, there was never going to be mass market appeal there.

Hiko

Banned
Just saw some footage of the game. There is nothing appealing about the art style. It's actually quite repulsive. And it looks and plays like that garden warfare game. This game is going to bomb hard.

Just saw some footage of the game. There is nothing appealing about the art style. It's actually quite repulsive. And it looks and plays like that garden warfare game. This game is going to bomb hard.

well garden warfare was quite succesful i think so I dont really get what you are saying.
I think one of the biggest things going against this game is its art style. It seems to be very divisive. Some people seem to love it, while others hate it. Unfortunately, I am in the latter camp. While I think the gameplay looks cool, I can't look at this game without thinking its based on some bad 90s Nickelodeon cartoon. Some of the fan art I have seen looks better than the official art, IMO. I am not saying this this be some gritty realistic looking shooter, either. Maybe cell-shaded would have worked really well.

so should it be another gears of war artstyle? sure that would sell.

Bayonetta 2 is about as "anime" as you can get. It's like comparing How to Train Your Dragon to Attack on Titan. Let's face it, there was never going to be mass market appeal there.

Well more than a 5th of all Wii Us were sold in japan so I don't necessarily get the point.

Top Bottom