• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon - Nintendo's next smash bros?

Africanus

I am expecting mediocre sales but will be pleasantly surprised if it hits one million or more. The key objective for Splatoon is to cultivate an audience, however small, for Nintendo shooters, so that the next one may have greater success on a more prominent console.

Boney

Banned
I really think they should've gone with green and purple instead of blue and orange for the boxart.

It's too busy cluttered and way too loud.

It's not doing the game any favors

Superballs

Neo Member
I still can't tell who Splatoon is aimed at.

Anyone who doesn't need an big M stamped on the front of their games. Nintendo are very inclusive with their games and the audience they target.

OT, I think the game has potential, and for sure I'm getting it really close to day 1, unless an overwhelming percentage of reviews say the game is absolutely terrible.

Personally, I don't think it matters if it's the best game ever made in the history of mankind, non-Nintendo fans have already written it off with the standard "kiddie" image that they for some reason can't stomach being associated with.

I don't think the first game is going to be a runaway success or a mad system pusher. I do think it's going to be a great long term investment for Nintendo. I'm pretty confident that it will be a well put together and polished game, and above all it's going to be fun. Those who actually play it will likely be very happy about playing it.

Of course, I can't speak of this with any certainty because I haven't so much as touched it, but looking at Nintendo's development track record, quality is not going to be the issue with this game.

At this stage, Nintendo could shit out a gold bar and the gaming community in general would have a small portion who loves it. And two larger portions who either:

A) Praise it for being high quality but won't buy it because it's Nintendo
B) Write it off as not being "Mature" and not buy it.

I'm just hoping that enough people will buy it and play it enough (assuming it's the awesome game it's being hyped up as being) and stay playing onine enough to make it worthwhile.

Hopefully Nintendo's next console addresses the marketing and popularity issues and we can get a runaway success with that.

The Boat

I think one of the biggest things going against this game is its art style. It seems to be very divisive. Some people seem to love it, while others hate it. Unfortunately, I am in the latter camp. While I think the gameplay looks cool, I can't look at this game without thinking its based on some bad 90s Nickelodeon cartoon. Some of the fan art I have seen looks better than the official art, IMO. I am not saying this this be some gritty realistic looking shooter, either. Maybe cell-shaded would have worked really well.
It's not divisive at all, the overall response to the art style was very, very positive. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's divisive, there are always people with different opinions.

Ansatz

Can someone explain this game to me? Is the goal to paint everything a certain color?

You play 4v4 matches and the team who covers the level with most paint wins.

People who suck at games can still participate and feel like they are contributing to the team by just staying behind and spraying, while advanced players can play more offensively.

Mit-

I actually don't think it looks very friendly to casuals, and with a big focus on online play, it's gonna be rough for people who suck at video games.

Unrelated but if I can play 4 player split screen online against another team I'll buy the hell out of this and play it for hours with friends.

Edit: damn, that won't be possible due to fucking GamePad features. Goddammit Wii U.

Umm... arm chair analyses aside, can we discuss how awesome hub worlds are? The fact that it has one is hype worthy, because it shows their dedication to quality.

When was the last time you saw a shooter with a hub world? Perfect Dark is the last game I recall.

Did you miss the part where he clearly said it didn't have to be gritty/realistic and mentioned cell shading as a possibility?

even if its not cellshading in a narrow sense the artstlye accomplishes what many cellshaded games go for. vibrant colors, cartoonlike look etc. i think the graphics look fine.

test_account

XP-39C²
Who care about artstyle that sell? Maybe we should never get these kind of looking games just because of sales? You guys seem to talk like some of these publishers.

I actually don't think it looks very friendly to casuals, and with a big focus on online play, it's gonna be rough for people who suck at video games.

Unrelated but if I can play 4 player split screen online against another team I'll buy the hell out of this and play it for hours with friends.

Edit: damn, that won't be possible due to fucking GamePad features. Goddammit Wii U.

Last I heard they said the gamepad was optional, and you could play it all with the proper pro controllers, so hopefully that'd work.

openrob

Umm... arm chair analyses aside, can we discuss how awesome hub worlds are? The fact that it has one is hype worthy, because it shows their dedication to quality.

When was the last time you saw a shooter with a hub world? Perfect Dark is the last game I recall.

hell yeah the Hub world looks great!

WiiU_Splatoon_011415_Plaza_Scrn02.jpg

WiiU_Splatoon_011415_Plaza_Scrn03.jpg

WiiU_Splatoon_011415_Plaza_Scrn04.jpg

This game has style and i expect it to do relatively well.

RAWi

That Hub World reminds me a lot of Nintendo Land's hub world...

Do you think they proceed from there to create this? Just a better or different version of it. It even has people walking around,

.hacked

Disappointed in the lack of coop, at least has not been mentioned yet. Was looking forward to playing one person on game pad one person on big screen like in Mario Kart and Hyrule Warriors.

I think this is a better thread to discuss that:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=931333&page=13

This thread is about sales/popularity potential.

Oops. Good call.

So back on the sales note, as a community we have to ask ourselves, is the kinds of game/risks we want Nintendo to make/take?

By that I mean:
- Brand new IP: characters, art style, gameplay, etc..
- Created by younger devs: not burdened by the traditionalist views
- AAA quality: full online/offline, hub world, customization and leveling system, multiple game modes including dedicated campaign, etc

Me personally? I think its a sign of things to come; modern features on top of refreshingly new gameplay spearheaded by the younger guys. I mean it's in the Mario Kart 8 release slot, this means that Nintendo is pulling all the stops to make this work (that's huge!!!! It's not a Miyamoto baby but something completely different)

So, minor complaints aside, the organizational shift this game shows at Nintendo should be a breath of fresh air for the "meh. Nintendo always going to Nintendo" crowd.

That Hub World reminds me a lot of Nintendo Land's hub world...

Do you think they proceed from there to create this? Just a better or different version of it. It even has people walking around,

My guess is they started with the code from Sunshine for the water gun game play (maybe the original prototype was a basic Sunshine 2v2 or something)

For the hub world I'm sure they're reusing the framework established by NintendoLand. I mean why reinvent the wheel?

So the question is, what other games will we see that beig re-used? (StarFox could utilize it in the Great Fox, Animal Crossing could build the entire game around it, new IPs could leverage it a la Splatoon)

Splatoon is Nintendo's answer to COD4 and GTA V. Considering FPS/shooter fans far outnumber action gamers, this game should sell double or even triple the Bayonetta 2 sales. It will also most likely outsell Pikmin 3 which is an RTS--a genre that has very limited audience. If Nintendo plays its cards right, I reckon Splatoon will do 1.5M lifetime sales.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Splatoon is Nintendo's answer to COD4 and GTA V. Considering FPS/shooter fans far outnumber action gamers, this game should sell double or even triple the Bayonetta 2 sales. It will also most likely outsell Pikmin 3 which is an RTS--a genre that has very limited audience. If Nintendo plays its cards right, I reckon Splatoon will do 1.5M lifetime sales.

I'm sorry, but the crowd raving over COD4 and GTAV are not the same crowd that's going to play Splatoon. Who are you kidding.

I'm sorry, but the crowd raving over COD4 and GTAV are not the same crowd that's going to play Splatoon. Who are you kidding.

This genre is about players shooting other players using dual analogue sticks. By now, they're sick and tired of seeing the same shit recycled over and over. Splatoon will be a breath of fresh air to them.

Yado

This genre is about players shooting other players using dual analogue sticks. By now, they're sick and tired of seeing the same shit recycled over and over. Splatoon will be a breath of fresh air to them.

lol, who says they're tired? Those franchises are still doing well.

No, the genre is about teens feeling mature by playing out power fantasies, and the second a game doesn't try to be uber serious they reject it.
Splatoon is closer to Team Fortress and should follow it's example... which I can't see Nintendo having the balls to.

Servbot24

Banned
There are plenty of games which could be "the next smash bros" if they featured Smash's cast. Splatoon doesn't, so it won't.

-Horizon-

Right, that's why Nintendo has to put their act together and market this thing to shooter lovers. Nintendo should hold a Splatoon tournament at E3 to get the ball rolling big time.

I kind of hope they do have a tourney at E3 like they had one for Smash. Heck, I hope they have a Smash tournament again along with a Splatoon one.

The game would've been out for a month or so (May release date) so by then, maybe there will be a good following of players who would be interested in being a part of this.

I kind of hope they do have a tourney at E3 like they had one for Smash. Heck, I hope they have a Smash tournament again along with a Splatoon one.

The game would've been out for a month or so (May release date) so by then, maybe there will be a good following of players who would be interested in being a part of this.

Exactly. As a better option, let the media duke it out in Splatoon. IGN vs Eurogamer vs...NeoGAF? :)

Oops. Good call.

So back on the sales note, as a community we have to ask ourselves, is the kinds of game/risks we want Nintendo to make/take?

By that I mean:
- Brand new IP: characters, art style, gameplay, etc..
- Created by younger devs: not burdened by the traditionalist views
- AAA quality: full online/offline, hub world, customization and leveling system, multiple game modes including dedicated campaign, etc

Me personally? I think its a sign of things to come; modern features on top of refreshingly new gameplay spearheaded by the younger guys. I mean it's in the Mario Kart 8 release slot, this means that Nintendo is pulling all the stops to make this work (that's huge!!!! It's not a Miyamoto baby but something completely different)

So, minor complaints aside, the organizational shift this game shows at Nintendo should be a breath of fresh air for the "meh. Nintendo always going to Nintendo" crowd.

That's one positive note but Nintendo will have to heavily promote the game for it not to end up as a commercial failure just because it does not have the Nintendo roster.

Penguin

If Nintendo were big into cross-media projects this could do really well.
The style and attitude reminds me a ton of "The Kids Next Door" and already has the orange for Nick.

Get them on-board to do some Splatoon shorts or something and it opens up the franchise.

I do think they should focus it on a younger generation first so they are ingrained... think harder to sell to folks who have numerous shooter options

Not at all. But will it be a fantastic game and a potential GOTY candidate when all is said and done? You betcha. I'm eagerly awaiting the official Splatoon clothing line.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Even then they wouldn't care about it. If anything, Nintendo should make Splatoon themed TF2 items to market this. Would be more of an overlap than hardcore dudebros playing COD or BF

You do realize that TF2 is a hardcore FPS game with guns, bloodspatter, gibs, knives, explosions, etcetera, right? It has a very stylized artstyle and a humor element but it is in no way aimed at children like Splatoon is.

DedValve

Banned
Good lord if Splatoon gets hats....

Actually I could see Splatoon going a F2P route with that. Leverage Nintendos other IP's and Nintendo would have one powerhouse of a F2P game if done right.

Jamix012

You do realize that TF2 is a hardcore FPS game with guns, bloodspatter, gibs, knives, explosions, etcetera, right? It has a very stylized artstyle and a humor element but it is in no way aimed at children like Splatoon is.

Lol, what? While I completely agree that there's very little to almost no overlap with the CoD/GTA crowd, TF2 is played by a lot of people who don't like the grittiness of such games, and Splatoon is bound to have a lot of overlap with that crowd. Not having guns and knives does not make Splatoon a game targeted at kids.

So what? It is aimed at people who don't feel the need to play shooters in order to prove their maturity to their pubescent peers. Aimed at children or not, both TF2 and Splatoon provide a shooter that focuses on tight gameplay, and style, not power wish fulfilment for 14 to 24 year olds.

Splatoon is aimed at people who value gameplay over presentation, thus why I personally expect this game to bomb.

Lol, what? While I completely agree that there's very little to almost no overlap with the CoD/GTA crowd, TF2 is played by a lot of people who don't like the grittiness of such games, and Splatoon is bound to have a lot of overlap with that crowd. Not having guns and knives does not make Splatoon a game targeted at kids.

But that's disregarding that those players don't necessarily have a Wii U

Top Bottom