• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon - Nintendo's next smash bros?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
As an FPS, Splatoon doesn't have guns, bullets, blood/violence, and offers a kid friendly aesthetic, ingredients that have very little mainstream appeal in this day and age. Imagine if all the weapns in Call of Duty were replaced with water guns. Mainstream appeal would drop faster than a falling rock.
It's a paintball game, which is cool by definition. I'm not sure violence, blood, is the main drawer of CoD.

maxmars

This game could end up being anywhere between Battalion Wars 2 and the original Smash Bros. I'm leaning towards the former personally.

I do hope it's going to draw people in, because COD Black Ops II servers and community will not go on forever, although it's still very much played.

taku

I don't even want to live in a world where Splatoon bombs. I am really looking forward to this game.

danmaku

It's a paintball game, which is cool by definition. I'm not sure violence, blood, is the main drawer of CoD.

It's part of the "serious-cool-military-shooter" package, together with swearing, setpieces, high tech weapons, implausible plot twists, etc. Splatoon is preaching to the converted, a shooter for people that hate shooters or are tired of conventional shooters.

Imho the best case scenario is the game developing a small but hardcore community of players that will push the competitive aspect and keep it alive. I don't see much appeal for the casuals and zero appeal for the core (but core will never buy a WiiU anyway so who cares).

Oh not at all, what I mean is mainstream appeal for most shooters these days have personalities of being rough, mature, you know all that jazz? It's what the younger generation is into. What Splatoon is doing isn't a bad thing by any chance, I just don't see it ever see it becoming huge in the shooter genre compared to Smash Bros in the fighting genre.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't even want to live in a world where Splatoon bombs. I am really looking forward to this game.

I mean if it makes you feel better, it'll likely perform decently when you factor in how tiny the Wii U userbase actually is. New IPs are hard launches on systems that are crashing and burning in balls of superheated flames, but I think this one will be 200-300k in 2015, and maybe it'll have decent legs if the word of mouth is positive and top up a bit more from there.

If Nintendo sees relatively decent numbers considering the console handicap, it's possible they'll see the series worth returning to in the future. I think it's the best genuinely new concept (that is where everything from the game world and characters to the gameplay are fresh and not recycled) Nintendo has had in ages, so I'm hoping others see that spark in this game too.

Of course it's weird you wouldn't want to live in a world where X game that is not even out yet and nobody has played in full bombs, because naturally nobody knows if it'll actually be great or not. That's a big weight to put on the value of your life for an unknown entity game ;P

E-phonk

Banned
It won't do smash or mario kart numbers, but I can see it going for a LTD above pikmin 3, for example. So let's say 400-500k. I think that would be a succes.

If they support it long enough with DLC, tournaments and marketing they can position it's follow up to be a hit, with a release on both handheld and console though.

It's part of the "serious-cool-military-shooter" package, together with swearing, setpieces, high tech weapons, implausible plot twists, etc. Splatoon is preaching to the converted, a shooter for people that hate shooters or are tired of conventional shooters.
I'd argue it's in the Team Fortress 2 category, as a fun team based shooter.

taku

Of course it's weird you wouldn't want to live in a world where X game that is not even out yet and nobody has played in full bombs, because naturally nobody knows if it'll actually be great or not. That's a big weight to put on the value of your life for an unknown entity game ;P
I have faith in humanity.. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that this game will not bomb.

Amir0x

Banned
I have faith in humanity.. In fact, I'd be willing to be that this game will not bomb.

that's more faith than some religious fundamentalists have in their God, good luck man ;)

I don't think it'll "bomb", it'll just have very tepid sales but probably enough to cover costs for itself. And that'd be a victory considering the platform.

Blunoise

I have faith in humanity.. In fact, I'd be willing to be that this game will not bomb.

i do not think it will bomb either, people will be pleasantly surprised. i believe Nintendo has a huge advertisement plan for it, especially if it is coming to Apex( and now rumor pokken as well may be there)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Splatoon is preaching to the converted, a shooter for people that hate shooters or are tired of conventional shooters.
Maybe you're right.

But it could also be the good game to attract FPS enthusiasts. Its genre is more popular than Pikmin 3 if you see my point.

It will release few weeks before E3, with lots of hype surrounding Zelda and Star Fox among other games. If Splatoon is a gem praised by medias, I believe its shooter codes will speak to the mass market: it could be the trigger for lots of gamers on the fence.

I can certainly see Nintendo pulling out the stops for promoting it.

It's getting Mario Kart 8's release slot. It was the centrepiece of their E3 presentation. They're rumoured to be taking it to APEX. It's been an ever present in their Directs and their PR.

I think there are legitimate questions about whether it will do well, but I don't think it's reasonable to doubt that Nintendo are backing it more than any new IP in an age.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe you're right.

But it could also be the good game to attract FPS enthusiasts. Its genre is more popular than Pikmin 3 if you see my point.

It will release few weeks before E3, with lots of hype surrounding Zelda and Star Fox among other games. If Splatoon is a gem praised by medias, I believe its shooter codes will speak to the mass market: it could be the trigger for lots of gamers on the fence.

marc^o^ man, it ain't happening. Shooter fans are not going to spend $200 minimum just to play a colorful paintball game, no matter how much the media praised it.

Wii U won like half the top ten GOTY awards on GAF this year, has been universally praised across the media, and had the two biggest games it's ever likely to get released and nothing much changed. Splatoon ain't gonna be the one to make any special splashes bro. Shooter fans might be willing to take an experimental dive if it was on a system they already owned, but Splatoon is basically going to have to pick from the people who already own the system. 300k sales tops, with 500k lifetime over the rest of Wii U's life.

Maybe we'll get some Splatoon Amiibos that sell 2 million though ;P

phanphare said:
it might bomb to your average neoGAF user but I'm sure this game will be a success for Nintendo

What does that mean? What do you think is a 'success' for Nintendo vs. a 'bomb' for a NeoGAFer?

Forkball

This is a day one purchase for me unless it turns out to be terrible. I think a lot of Wii U owners will take a chance with this title if Nintendo pushes it enough and it gets good reviews. I don't expect Mario Kart sales, but if the gameplay is solid enough it could support a community since it's very different from other multiplayer titles on Wii U.

thefro

I think expecting it to match Smash in its first installment is a little much, but it'll be a big franchise for Nintendo going forward.

It seems like they're taking the best of other popular shooters and adding some Animal Crossing twists.

Micken

Banned
It seems people just can't tell a good game when they see one...

I want to believe Splatoon will do well. It should, it looks amazing. But how can it? It's a game whose mechanics are based on colors. That's enough to repel just about any dudebro who might take interest in its gameplay.

Though, I do see a lot of love for the game online... And I've seen a number of comments from clearly out-of-the loop people ("Man, I wish this game had online", or "Just as long as there's single player..."), so it's not like only the hardcore Nintendo fans care about it.

Speaking of "hardcore Nintendo fans", I wonder how much of the Wii U's userbase they fill up?

Meier

Can Nintendo position splatoon to do for them with the shooter genre what smash did for them as a fighting game?

Focusing on this part of your post, I think you might be on to something with this.

It has all the warning signs of a bomb. I will eat my latex catsuit if this charts in the UK top 40 on launch week.

Of course it will chart in the top 40. That's a silly post. But "success" is really based on sales in the US and/or Japan as those are far more visual markets.

I got a Wii U for Christmas and this game fell in my radar not to long ago. I am going to buy it day 0, hope it wont bomb.

The artistic direction is out of this world.

Too bad my interner connection is 10 years in the past, I doubt I will be able to play online multiplayer

kitsuneyo

Seems like a game that would benefit from long term support, with DLC, new maps, costumes etc over the next two years. Keep existing players interested and bring new ones in, to build a community. Needs good online features. Don't think Nintendo will go that route.

phanphare

Banned
It seems people just can't tell a good game when they see one...

I want to believe Splatoon will do well. It should, it looks amazing. But how can it? It's a game whose mechanics are based on colors. That's enough to repel just about any dudebro who might take interest in its gameplay.

Though, I do see a lot of love for the game online... And I've seen a number of comments from clearly out-of-the loop people ("Man, I wish this game had online", or "Just as long as there's single player..."), so it's not like only the hardcore Nintendo fans care about it.

Speaking of "hardcore Nintendo fans", I wonder how much of the Wii U's userbase they fill up?

why would this game be relying on "dudebros"? you think that's the target market of this game?

That's true, but TF2 is a free PC game. The console market is much harder for such unconventional games. At least, that's my impression.

TF2 did not start out that way

It has all the warning signs of a bomb. I will eat my latex catsuit if this charts in the UK top 40 on launch week.

surely you don't actually think it can't even make the charts? even Wonderful 101 debuted at #14

Bayonetta 2 didn't and that was a sequel to a established franchise that got rave reviews and plenty of marketing :/

Bayonetta 2 debuted #6, #7 if you go by all-formats....

I can guarantee you that won't happen

How? It's a new IP on an abysmal-selling console featuring cartoony graphics with a young girl/squid and cover art that looks like a Nickelodeon movie.

2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

Let me be clear: I'm getting this game and hope it does well, I just don't see it happening.

Amir0x

Banned
neoGAF might see a number and interpret it as underwhelming whereas Nintendo might be thrilled with it

That's vague. I'm sure Nintendo won't be releasing any PR where they say "Splatoon sales were so disappointing", so I'm not sure how we'd gauge the honesty of their reaction to their products game anyway. Silence I guess would indicate them not being happy?

NeoGAF is not some punch drunk hater, in the world of modern games where budgets can be quite high a game selling 200k or 300k usually is not good by any standard. You usually cannot make much if any of a profit at that rate with modern budgets.

That said, given we have no idea what the budget for this game is, it's possible 200 or 300k sales would be OK, but I do think you'd be exaggerating greatly if you think Nintendo would be "thrilled" by those numbers. Those are numbers not even a parent could be thrilled by ;P

I never thought about Splatoon Amiibos, I kinda hope we get some now.

I think the Squid Girls design are the most iconic designs from Nintendo in a generation, so I'm hoping for someone to sell a figure of this quality for them because I'd totally display it. The Amiibos are a too low quality for my tastes and so far for me have close to no meaningful utility in games either, so I'm hoping I can find a high quality figurine design of the Squid Girls.

E-phonk

Banned
That's true, but TF2 is a free PC game. The console market is much harder for such unconventional games. At least, that's my impression.

It is now, but it wasn't when it launched. I'd also argue the console market, especially nintendo's console, is more open to a friendlier version of the team-based shooter compared to the more gritty ones out there.

Again, I don't expect it to do amazing, but I think pikmin3 is the title to beat to be considered a succes for me.

phanphare

Banned
How? It's a new IP on an abysmal-selling console featuring cartoony graphics with a young girl/squid and cover art that looks like a Nickelodeon movie.

2717093-spratoonbox.jpg

Let me be clear: I'm getting this game and hope it does well, I just don't see it happening.

and? that sounds like a pretty good fit for a Nintendo console. all I'm saying is that it is asinine to think this game will bomb like the W101 did.

That's vague. I'm sure Nintendo won't be releasing any PR where they say "Splatoon sales were so disappointing", so I'm not sure how we'd gauge the honesty of their reaction to their products game anyway. Silence I guess would indicate them not being happy?

NeoGAF is not some punch drunk hater, in the world of modern games where budgets can be quite high a game selling 200k or 300k usually is not good by any standard. You usually cannot make much if any of a profit at that rate with modern budgets.

That said, given we have no idea what the budget for this game is, it's possible 200 or 300k sales would be OK, but I do think you'd be exaggerating greatly if you think Nintendo would be "thrilled" by those numbers. Those are numbers not even a parent could be thrilled by ;P

ok maybe not "thrilled" haha

Blunoise

Bayonetta 2 didn't and that was a sequel to a established franchise that got rave reviews and plenty of marketing :/

thats becuz the "true" bayonetta fans boycotted and didn't want it to succeed because it was not on their console of choice

and? that sounds like a pretty good fit for a Nintendo console. all I'm saying is that it is asinine to think this game will bomb like the W101 did.

Of course it's a great fit.

Not asinine at all to think it will bomb. I understand (based on your avatar) if you personally want the game to succeed.

phanphare

Banned
Of course it's a great fit.

Not asinine at all to think it will bomb. I understand (based on your avatar) if you personally want the game to succeed.

oh I definitely want the game to succeed ;p

still though, you brought up the W101 as a comparison. that's freaking ridiculous. I'm not going to save your posts or anything like that but just keep an eye out for sales numbers for the game when they're available. I mean, they've already promoted this game more than W101 by a very large margin and it's only January.

Micken

Banned
why would this game be relying on "dudebros"? you think that's the target market of this game?

No, I don't think that's the target demographic, but what is? Kids? I know it's terribly cliche, but a lot of them do want to play "mature" games like CoD and distance themselves from "kiddy" games like Splatoon. The only people I can see buying this game is the few kids left who embrace their age, older gamers who feel their console of choice is lacking the fun they desire, and the hardcore Nintendo crowd. My use of the term "dudebro" was very loose there, as well... I was referring to all gamers who only tolerate "mature" games, even the more "hardcore", "real" Xbox One and PS4 gamers.

My point is, really, that it could go either way at this point. Real helpful, I know. :p

still though, you brought up the W101 as a comparison. that's freaking ridiculous. I'm not going to save your posts or anything like that but just keep an eye out for sales numbers for the game when they're available. I mean, they've already promoted this game more than W101 by a very large margin and it's only January.

Will do.

Just curious: Where is this being promoted? I haven't seen anything.

Hiko

Banned
I think they made a huge mistake by not making this a new Mario series. I see this appealing to only a small set of the hardcore nintendo crowd.

New IP only makes sense if there is sales potential. People aren't going to buy into a new IP just because it's a new IP. Otherwise it's better to stick to old IP.

Micken

Banned
I think they made a huge mistake by not making this a new Mario series. I see this appealing to only a small set of the hardcore nintendo crowd.

New IP only makes sense if there is sales potential. People aren't going to buy into a new IP just because it's a new IP. Otherwise it's better to stick to old IP.

What, so there should never be any new IP? Watch_Dogs, Titanfall and Destiny say hi.

Top Bottom