• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Azure J

Most of these changes are terrible.

It's obvious that Nintendo is going to continue to nerf things that don't require nerfing, buff things that don't deserve buffing, and totally ignore the fundamental problems in Splatoon.

Lag cheaters, Squid Partiers, and the complete lack of bots.

Care to tell me why buffing abilities that saw zero use in interesting manners is a bad thing? There were no nerfs either so I'm not really sure what's being addressed there either.

Leatherface

There were no nerfs either so I'm not really sure what's being addressed there either.

Well bombs/seekers/mines were kind of nerfed as a result of a buff. Kind of bummed that my special is not as effective anymore if you have bomb sniffer buff. Bombs should wreck shit, no exceptions! Where is my tee-shirt that will absorb 40% damage from people who shoot me while bubbled? Stupid bubble! :)

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Care to tell me why buffing abilities that saw zero use in interesting manners is a bad thing? There were no nerfs either so I'm not really sure what's being addressed there either.

Two maps were nerfed to make them easier for scrubs to play.

Leatherface is right, bombs and seekers essentially received a nerf.
And buffing Haunt the way they did effectively nerfs point sensors and echolocators.

And Inkzooka and Bomb Rush absolutely did not need a buff of any kind.

ffdgh

There are what, 16 maps in Splatoon now?

Why can't we have 2 technical maps with choke points?
Hey the developers had to think something was amiss for them to go and change the layout of those 2 stages to their splat zone variations. Doesn't help that any decent charger can shut down those maps from half way across the map lol.

Besides there's still bluefin and port...and musem...walleye....saltspray, skatepark etc.

Ataru

Unconfirmed Member
Hey the developers had to think something was amiss for them to go and change the layout of those 2 stages to their splat zone variations. Doesn't help that any decent charger can shut down those maps from half way across the map

Please... the only reason they dumbed it down was because (some) players complained. Same reason we got the weapon nerfs.

It was quite easy to get thru the choke points if you properly used the right specials (Inkstrike, Killer Wail, Inkzooka, Kraken, etc) and a little teamwork.

Please... the only reason they dumbed it down was because (some) players complained. Same reason we got the weapon nerfs.

It was quite easy to get thru the choke points if you properly used the right specials (Inkstrike, Killer Wail, Inkzooka, Kraken, etc) and a little teamwork.
Man, I loved not being able to move past 1/3rd of the map if I didn't have a Killer Wail charged and then have to hope that the 3 second opening I got was enough to run across the map, along with hoping that my teammates, who I have no real way of communicating with, cooperated during that 3 second opening.

I loved the old version of Towers so much, it's such a shame they changed it.
I could actually win the vast majority of the time on that map in Turf Wars with randoms but I basically had to camp in this one spot the entire time. It was dumb and not very fun but I play2win so I did it anyways.

Specials help, but making specials mandatory to break into an area that's locked down by a charger is rather unsatisfying. Intercepting the chargers before they reach their perch is extremely impractical on towers and malls, so the only pragmatic counter-play is to build up special before pushing mid. Is there any reason why this scenario needs to be so easy to set up, yet so difficult to break though, while also commanding that much attention?

Blues1990

I wish there was an option to play this game with people in my region, as I love how "fair" it is when I will unload on someone & they will only pop 10 seconds AFTER I explode. And they only use a smudge of ink. :/

Pokemaniac

I wish there was an option to play this game with people in my region, as I love how "fair" it is when I will unload on someone & they will only pop 10 seconds AFTER I explode. And they only use a smudge of ink. :/

Depending on which region you live in, this may actually make things worse. I've generally observed that connection issues tend to proliferate more during Splatfests.

J@hranimo

Banned

Yeah...as far as this game and the matchmaking are the way it is then we'll have to wait until the sequel for better online options.

L95

Oh, I didn't know there was gonna be maintenance....

IDK about the maintenance or if that was my WiiU being silly, but it did make me draw this angry angry Dynamo girl lol

gDrBg2y.png

Apparently, not pushing the objective below 30 on purpose in order not to activate the enemy team's Last-Ditch Effort ability is a thing now in Ranked Rainmaker:
https://www.twitch.tv/2dos/v/53328385
If you can see that you're fucked and about to die anyways, as was the case here, then that is a really good idea, especially if you saw that one of the opponents had a Last-Ditch Effort hat.

Still... lmfao, that guy actually did that so soon into the patch. Hahahahaha

Nintendome Squid Science 2.6.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T19MkTTaU

Why didn't Nintendo leave well enough alone. I never bothered with the meta game and just use what I like, but that sniffer and haunt buff, why! Why even include the inkmine in the buff since it's already such a weak sub compared to other bombs.

I do like that recon will show equipped weapons. I was also a fan of old Moray Towers even without being a charger user. It's a fun stage, and one person can defend the home turf by them self. Arowana can go fuck itself. It is just too narrow/enclosed, and once good teams control the choke point it's hard to come back. Moray Towers was the right way of creating a choke point, and Arowana was the wrong way to create a choke point. Even with the changes I'm sure I'll still heavily dislike Arowana.

Nintendome Squid Science 2.6.0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3T19MkTTaU

Why didn't Nintendo leave well enough alone. I never bothered with the meta game and just use what I like, but that sniffer and haunt buff, why! Why even include the inkmine in the buff since it's already such a weak sub compared to other bombs.

I do like that recon will show equipped weapons. I was also a fan of old Moray Towers even without being a charger user. It's a fun stage, and one person can defend the home turf by them self. Arowana can go fuck itself. It is just too narrow/enclosed, and once good teams control the choke point it's hard to come back. Moray Towers was the right way of creating a choke point, and Arowana was the wrong way to create a choke point. Even with the changes I'm sure I'll still heavily dislike Arowana.

This was a gear and map patch. Weapons and subs may come in later.

Moondrop

Banned
Apparently, not pushing the objective below 30 on purpose in order not to activate the enemy team's Last-Ditch Effort ability is a thing now in Ranked Rainmaker:
https://www.twitch.tv/2dos/v/53328385
Hilarious, but I don't buy that this is a good strategy. In the video that squid could've made it onto the ramp, pushing the counter into the 20s or even teens. You never know when a push will be your last opportunity to advance the ball. And you're going to throw that away to prevent maybe a couple of your opponents from being a bit more efficient and respawning one second faster?

I'm glad all these abilities were buffed to diversify the meta. But they're weapon and team composition-specific. None of them are straight OP from my testing. Not LDE, not tenacity, not bomb sniffer.

Haunt is the most interesting because it diversifies the Cold-Blooded meta. If y'all gals and tentateks want to take back the aggressive upper-hand in exchange for the full duration of my point sensors, go right ahead. My teammates will get you if I don't.

KooopaKid

Banned
With this update, the matchmaking seems logical now finally!
I like all the changes they made to the abililities, it encourages to use the less used ones now.

ChrisD

E-Liter mains are nuts man
Like I've seen Tentateks and Gals and Dynamos running all this new stuff

Then you got Squid Girl Captain over here just like three months ago

Smh

SMH

For other loadouts, I plan on doing some more experimentation to see what I might like.

For Rapid Blaster Pro Deco though, I think I'll find it hard to branch out very much. Damage Up is pretty important for the Rapid Blaster family; without it, you will be getting 4HKOs or higher most of the time, which is really bad.

ChrisD

I'm liking Last Ditch Effort and Haunt. It's like a big "Screw You" to the enemies for marking me, and then if things go awry it gets even funner.

Still haven't tried Recon! I need to get on that tomorrow. Regiruler made a good point for it with Inkbrush Noueveau, so that's what I'll try it with.

I was also a fan of old Moray Towers even without being a charger user. It's a fun stage, and one person can defend the home turf by them self.
The issue wasn't that one person can defend the home turf by themselves. Which is still the case BTW; you just have to actually move now.

The issue was that a good sniper, generally an E-Liter, could defend not just their home base but the middle and a significant portion of the enemy's base all by themselves. Again, they could defend a good part of the enemy's base without leaving their own turf; that's dumb. At higher levels of play, Turf Wars Moray quickly devolved into one E-Liter trying to get to the sniping spot before the enemy's E-Liter while everyone else tried to get their specials so they could actually fucking do something.

Like yeah, the map's fun at Splat Fests-level of play. But in better rooms the map was a boring campfest as long as there's at least one good E-Liter in the room.

ChrisD

Towers is only barely more "fun" to play on now. I don't know why I thought it'd be some big change considering I also hate the map in all Ranked modes.

I have a relatively small amount of Ranked sets compared to my whatever I feel like at the time in Turf War, but there's still some variety. I can't imagine using one set for that long. Though at this point it'd probably feel weird for you to change gear, wouldn't it? Kind of like how some people will use the same avatar on a forum for ten+ years.

Regiruler

Octoling Gear represent.

The console stayed at home again so I unfortunately can't try the gear changes (I had 1 main 2 subs of Sub Saver so I wanted to see if I got any improvement).

DangerMan

Banned
How come every update makes the game's netcode worse than the last? Balance adjustments seem fine but I'm no Splat Master 9000 or anything, matchmaking adjustments have greatly increased communication errors. I also miss the old days where ranked was only splat zones and leaderboards at the end of a match were based on number of splats...

How come every update makes the game's netcode worse than the last? Balance adjustments seem fine but I'm no Splat Master 9000 or anything, matchmaking adjustments have greatly increased communication errors. I also miss the old days where ranked was only splat zones and leaderboards at the end of a match were based on number of splats...

Ever since I switched to a wired connection, I've only got disconnected once during mid-match. My teammates usually drop out like flies which can get annoying. Are you using a wireless connection?

Also, the game isn't even a year old, so isn't it a bit early to be reminiscing about the "old days"?

Moondrop

Banned
First gear with triple unfavored subs. 3% odds. Thank you Nami!
Sweet. Mine have triple ink saver main, but none of my weapon sets really need it- or last ditch effort. Thinking of going back to the shades though because they're just that fresh.

Oh and I love the new Moray Towers.

J@hranimo

Banned
Some things never change.

Taking a break from Splatoon because of some hand pain, so I made a thing. Might go back and tweak it, though that remains to be seen. Good enough for now!

That's hilarious. Will reference this a ton! oh and hope your hand feels better soon.

The new Splatfest is basically ranked mode with turf war rules.

Your starting fest power depends on your rank.

C-~C+ 1000
B-~B+ 1200
A-~A+ 1400
S,S+ 1600

I'm at A rank, starts at 1400, winning gives you 10 power and 7(5+2) fest points.

noshten

New Splatfest for Europe/Oceania: Hoverboard vs. Jet Pack
https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/708608722621374464

starts Saturday March 19th 19:00 CET

Europe finally getting an awesome Splatfest, I expect this one to be very difficult to call.

Some things never change.

Taking a break from Splatoon because of some hand pain, so I made a thing. Might go back and tweak it, though that remains to be seen. Good enough for now!

That was awesome

Top Bottom