• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

EulaCapra

Just watched some videos, so you earn 9 fest points each wins if you have really high fest power. Also JP splatfest result with 100 players with highest fest power in each teams. Dat 2595.
Thank you, Google Translate.
Owb1dhO.png

I'll really like these Splatfest changes if it does work out that I can reach Queen faster. It can feel like such a long grind when you're not really in the ideal mood for it.

Blues1990

Will you:

POUND THAT ASS

Or:

CHERISH THAT ASS

Marie: "So, what is your stance on this, Callie?"

Callie: "Given my horrible luck with the recent Splatfests, the chargers have pound my mound. Yourself?"

Marie: "You know what they say: Cherish what can't be replaced."

ChrisD

Edit: I didn't see the above Google Translate. Looooooool.

So with the new matchmaking, I guess 3v4's don't get any leeway anymore. Lost the full 4 points for a game where our LuNeo ragequit midway through (I'm assuming, anyways, since they went 1/10).

Also I haven't played Tower Control in so long. Five LuNeos, two E-Liters, and my Mink was the first game. Thanks heavens for the new pairing system giving us both a sniper each, but jeez at the LuNeo count. And they all had the exact same hat and shoes. :X

Edit because nobody else has posted so I can't make this its own post:

Opening Gambit is just... It's great. Getting a flawless open with it is so satisfying, and if you can get into a good position extremely rewarding. Used it on Mall (which, may I add, is pretty dang fun now!) and made a Zerg Rush attempt every time. After four or so experimental roll outs, I found the one that worked best. Few more games passed and I got THE open. Made it to their base's left high platform in 22 seconds. From there I held position until the clock hit 30, and only then did they finally kill me.

We actually almost lost because while I held everyone off (getting 10 kills in the process), our side didn't even make it to middle (uhhh). Thankfully, the coverage of their base was rather thorough and we got a win by 2%.

Yeah. Couldn't do that with Swim Speed or Run Speed. So fun, new Gambit.

Moondrop

Banned
So with the new matchmaking, I guess 3v4's don't get any leeway anymore. Lost the full 4 points for a game where our LuNeo ragequit midway through (I'm assuming, anyways, since they went 1/10.)
FWIW, I had an epic 3v4 two days ago that ended in a loss of 2 points. We stopped their splat zone counter at 13 and then took the lead with 12! But then they came back and won in overtime. I got 20 kills with the custom blaster and fully expected to receive 20 points and a plaque for exceptional carrying had we pulled it out.

ChrisD

Aw man, too bad about the loss. Cool battles lose some luster when they end a loss.

So it's a YMMV situation, or it depends on when the D/C happens. The latter is the one that makes sense, but this is the game where people lost points for weeks if they left lobbies too quickly at the Rematch screen. That makes a lot of things sound reasonable heh.

Ugh. Getting multiple unstable connection / com errors al of sudden after playing an hour without problems..
I wonder if something nearby is messing with my Wi-fi connection..

ChrisD

Alright they definitely did something with rating. Game started 3v4, and I still lost 4 points when the inevitable loss happened.

Was anything in the patch notes on this?

Saro

Alright they definitely did something with rating. Game started 3v4, and I still lost 4 points when the inevitable loss happened.

Apparently it's based on how long the person was playing for before the DC happens to them.

So knowing Nintendo, it's probably 30secs in and you lose one point after that -4. In your case, Nintendo pls.

ChrisD

Apparently it's based on how long the person was playing for before the DC happens to them.

So knowing Nintendo, it's probably 30secs in and you lose one point after that -4. In your case, Nintendo pls.

Ninty, it doesn't matter how long they were playing. If someone D/C's the game is not fair. End of.

And you're probably right on both accounts. ;-;

Looking at some of the player names...

what?

Gotta' love Google Translate!

ss-hikaru

Gotta' love Google Translate!

Japanese names tend to be interesting even without Google Translate
"ketsu" LOL
:p It's fun reading them while you are waiting in the lobby. Of course a lot of them are about food, especially squid based ones. Also quite a few One Punch Man and JoJo references. What gets me are the random phamaceutical drug ones like Ibuprofen and Paracetemol (in katakana). And since Japanese characters let you write so much more you get lots of "don't kill me please!", "I'm too weak", "use my beacons!", "shit at aiming Shinji", "I am five years old" kinda sentences. I'm probably just too easily entertained haha.

So, I like the color of the snowman team, but I get the feeling that they're gonna lose big time. Normally, I'd choose sandcastles because I used to have fun making them when I was little, but the color seems boring. =/

Man how frustrating.... i am trying to climb the ranked ladder now and for the life of me i just can NOT get past B-!!

It's even more frustrating when i am pretty much always the best player in my team and constantly do my part, get tons of kills, keep winning splatzones etc. but in the end we almost always get our asses handed to us as a team.

Like this, it's pretty much impossible to climb the ladder! Does this mean that i am constantly going up against organized teams of friends etc. or is it just REALLY bad luck that i get stuck with a bunch of suckers on a constant basis LOL ?

Just needed to vent after my 5 game in a row losing streak now ugh

It actually sounds like really bad luck. The entirety of B rank is actually pretty terrible to be in overall. A- isn't all that much better. What weapons do you usually use?

That was literally my reaction to Callie's comment.

Sandcastle here, but that's mainly because being in California like I am I've never seen snow.

Frankly, I think it's something the media made up.

Bahahaha, I know the feeling. What's snow? Was it that strange liquid that fell from the sky a few days ago? =P

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!

Pretty sure the losing team still loses all the points it would have had no players DC'ed. The change is that the winning team doesn't get as many points.

ChrisD

Pretty sure the losing team still loses all the points it would have had no players DC'ed. The change is that the winning team doesn't get as many points.

Okay

Now I'm just laughing

"Screw you, losers, screw you, winners... Screw all of you. I'm done with this job."

ChrisD

Again, I've had a 2 point loss since the patch and several 1 point losses before it.

Before patch a loss was always -1 if you weren't fairly matched. Was with me, anyways, minus an anomaly once or twice. Even to see a -2 says they changed it.

I just watched an S+ lobby allow the RM to walk right up our side alley unopposed.

We lost in seconds.

I have Opening Gambit, so I rushed to their side and inked a path. Guess I should have stayed back under the assumption that an S+ lobby doesn't know about the side path.

wait

StAidan

Before the patch, the losing team would get a -1 rank point ONLY if a teammate disconnected before the match began. So a DC ten seconds in would still get you the full -6 / -5 / whatever depending on your rank.

After the patch, the loss is weighted by how long you were down a player. In my experience, a DC within the first minute gets you -1 point, and within the first two minutes gets you -2 points. I haven't seen any DCs after the two-minute mark since the patch.

I end up playing a match with a DC'd teammate about once a day, so I unfortunately have a fair amount of experience with this.

New Splatoon merch in Japan!

This time it's prizes for Taito's crane games. That means these probably won't be available through the usual retail outlets, so get looking on eBay/Japanese auction sites if you want them!

First up: Juicy Squid Mascot (イカしたジューシマスコット)

They're 7cm tall and stretch like crazy! Purple and green release in the fourth week of March, followed by orange and purple in the 4th week of May.

Video showing off their juiciness

Second: Splat Roller Cleaner (スプラローラークリーナー)

The Taito website says that it cleans City Clothing (市服) so I'm thinking this is a Lint Roller! It measures in at 3.8cm x 16cm, so you probably shouldn't use this for your fresh inkling cosplay. Releases in the 5th week of April.

I'm pretty keen on that Splat Roller to get Judd's my cat's hair off my clothing :p

Regiruler

This time it's prizes for Taito's crane games. That means these probably won't be available through the usual retail outlets, so get looking on eBay/Japanese auction sites if you want them!

Is this the same taito that makes space invaders?

Why can't they go back to game development. I want Extreme 3, and that can't be hard to make.

Lint roller looks cool though.

First up: Juicy Squid Mascot (イカしたジューシマスコット)

They're 7cm tall and stretch like crazy! Purple and green release in the fourth week of March, followed by orange and purple in the 4th week of May.

Video showing off their juiciness

Second: Splat Roller Cleaner (スプラローラークリーナー)

The Taito website says that it cleans City Clothing (市服) so I'm thinking this is a Lint Roller! It measures in at 3.8cm x 16cm, so you probably shouldn't use this for your fresh inkling cosplay. Releases in the 5th week of April.

I'm pretty keen on that Splat Roller to get Judd's my cat's hair off my clothing :p

Heh. that Splat lint roller might come in handy

Speaking of merch

Splatoon fan book hitting Japan on March 23rd
The book contains all sorts of details on in-game weapons and gear, as well as some manga, interviews with celebrity Splatoon fans, a word from the devs and much more! There's even a special Splatoon-themed bandana included

http://www.4gamer.net/games/260/G026082/20160314011/
http://gonintendo.com/stories/254004-splatoon-fan-book-hitting-japan-on-march-23rd

sample pics

StAidan

So, I made another S+ attempt last night during the Port/Museum Zones rotation. I had a pretty smooth ride up to S 96, then with one win left to go, the game proceeds to throw everything in the book at me -- giving me chargers that can't hit the broad side of the Booyah Base, setting me up against a team of walls, wails, and krakens in Port Mackerel, etc.

So suffice it to say, I ended the night a little salty and S 70.

However, the evening did give me the following match in which I pulled out the most intense overtime win I've had in a long time, with a 20/7 kd ratio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nFajQuRd3c

No posts for the new Splatfest?

Wonder which side is more popular this time? Feels like a more even split will happen.

Personally it's hard to decide. I'm from Connecticut and attempted a snowman several times when I was young. I also don't like the beach and never really went. Yet my family is from India and I always liked the sand around my families' houses.

If you ask me which I'll rather do now I'll think maybe build a sand castle? Requires water. I don't think I'm. In the mood to activate go play in snow until I have kids.

Hmmmmm...

Pokemaniac

No posts for the new Splatfest?

Wonder which side is more popular this time? Feels like a more even split will happen.

Personally it's hard to decide. I'm from Connecticut and attempted a snowman several times when I was young. I also don't like the beach and never really went. Yet my family is from India and I always liked the sand around my families' houses.

If you ask me which I'll rather do now I'll think maybe build a sand castle? Requires water. I don't think I'm. In the mood to activate go play in snow until I have kids.

Hmmmmm...

With the new matchmaking system the impact of popularity on the win results may be lessened. From what I just played, I got matched with more equally skilled people than normal.

EulaCapra

I thought Snowman would be more popular (and hence lose per stupid no popularity multiplier), but I open up the plaza, and it's a whole bunch of Sand Castle shirts.

Top Bottom