• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Doorman

From the tales of gears, I went from this: [pic]
To this: [other pic]
I think it's an improvement. Nothing more fun than having a evil green sweater to go with the evil green bubble weapons (mink zini and green bucket)

The most evil thing about this is that you overwrote a triple bomb range sub. With the lack of brand bias I'd love to have a shirt like that at some point.

Moondrop

Banned
I'm dirty jealous of some of those off-probability combos.

My current freshest off-probability combos are the firefin visor with special charge main/special duration subs and the carnivore tee as defense up main/swim speed subs. And for a long time I rocked the amiibo girl headpiece with swim speed up main/special charge up subs.

Triple subs is an oft unspoken yet vital ingredient in freshness.

I'm dirty jealous of some of those off-probability combos.

My current freshest off-probability combos are the firefin visor with special charge main/special duration subs and the carnivore tee as defense up main/swim speed subs. And for a long time I rocked the amiibo girl headpiece with swim speed up main/special charge up subs.

Triple subs is an oft unspoken yet vital ingredient in freshness.
The firefin visor is something I wouldn't mind ordering cause that sounds like a really good combo!

Jims

L-3 Nozzlenose D is a really fun weapon. It feels like a mobile version of the CJS. Cranking up that Run Speed feels so good.

Do you guys like Bomb Range Up with it? My goggles have triple Run Speeds, but can't tell if that extra Burst Bomb range actually gets a Nozzlenose anything. Good for chasing people who are getting away? Harassing snipers, maybe?

tsundoku

Wait why would you use runspeed with a Nozzlenose, I though runspeed was literally only useful for continuous fire guns like Splatling SSJ etc. If you're swimming around and double tapping people don't you want swim speed?

Jims

I was thinking Run Speed to maximize one of the Nozzlenoses' notable strengths. Each Run Speed you add is really noticeable on the thing. They feel more like guns designed to strafe all over the place, rather than bounce and out of the ink quickly (like a Splattershot). Are they supposed to be played really up close? Maybe I'm zoning too much with it. I find close encounters with Tentateks really challenging with it.

Swim Speed Up would be a much more balanced build, though. That's something new to try.

Moondrop

Banned
Do you guys like Bomb Range Up with it? My goggles have triple Run Speeds, but can't tell if that extra Burst Bomb range actually gets a Nozzlenose anything. Good for chasing people who are getting away? Harassing snipers, maybe?
The L3D is so versatile, it really depends which aspect you want to emphasize- main, sub, or special. In my build that is all about the burst bombs, I have an even split of bomb range up, damage up, and ink recovery up. In that build, the main weapon is basically a sidearm to finish 'em off. But if you were to build around strafing with the main gun, then yeah, go for run speed.

I suppose a hybrid build between bomb range up and run speed could work, but as you note, the bombs would be mostly for pressure. You really need damage up to get them to kill consistently.

Kito

Unconfirmed leak of new weapons:

Volume 1
Splattershot: Splat Bomb, Inkstrike
Splattershot Pro: Suction Bomb, Bomb Rush
Squiffer: Suction Bomb, Kraken
Slosher: Sprinkler, Echolocator
Bamboozler: Sprinkler, Inkzooka
Inkbrush: Burst Bomb, Bomb Rush
Splash-O-Matic: Splat Bomb, Bubbler
Rapid Blaster: Burst Bomb, Inkstrike

Volume 2
Splat Charger: Splash Wall, Inkstrike
Splat Roller: Disruptor, Inkzooka
Blaster: Seeker, Echolocator
H-3 Nozzlenose: Squid Beakon, Kraken
Dual Squelcher: Disruptor, Bubbler
N-Zap: Splash Wall, Inkzooka
Carbon Roller: Squid Beakon, Bubbler
Sploosh-O-Matic: Seeker, Bomb Rush

Jims

The L3D is so versatile, it really depends which aspect you want to emphasize- main, sub, or special. In my build that is all about the burst bombs, I have an even split of bomb range up, damage up, and ink recovery up. In that build, the main weapon is basically a sidearm to finish 'em off. But if you were to build around strafing with the main gun, then yeah, go for run speed.

I suppose a hybrid build between bomb range up and run speed could work, but as you note, the bombs would be mostly for pressure. You really need damage up to get them to kill consistently.

Yeah, it's surprising how versatile the weapon is. I think the Burst Bombs combined with the fire rate gives it a really distinct playstyle.

Played around with a couple load outs and they all play a little differently. A Run Speed/Bomb Range setup is really great for going against opponents head-on. You can spam the Nozzle repeatedly, strafe around, throw Burst Bombs, and keep people from approaching. Good build for poking and harassing. I found Swim Speed to be more effective with Damage Up (and Ink Resistance), playing it more ninja-like and aggro. Becomes a weapon about surgical strikes and less of a prolonged encounter. Damage Up/Bomb Range Up hits a happy medium between the first two. The Damage Up helps with the close encounters but the range makes it good for zoning and directing enemies. I really liked this setup on Moray Towers and Hammerhead Bridge.

N-Zap: Splash Wall, Inkzooka

Yummy. A Dual Squelcher with a Bubbler could be sick.

Aldric

If this list was true l'd be incredibly salty at that new Sploosh set and at the fact the goddamn roller gets the set l wanted.

New Splash would pretty much make the Jr obsolete and Rapid Blaster with burst bombs sounds ridiculous.

Moondrop

Banned
New Splash would pretty much make the Jr obsolete
Yeah, that alone makes me skeptical of this "leak" (well that and the lack of sourcing :p). I believe in the dev's sense of balance, and this is basically a straight upgrade. Though I acknowledge there are some similar situations already, e.g. tentatek splattershot and mini splatling.

Although roller + disruptor and carbon + bubble could bring me back to rollin'...

J@hranimo

Banned
Oh yeah, that weapon list. I doubt it's real but it sure is fun to entertain.

Inkbrush with burst bomb rush was an idea some of us in the SplatGAF Discord talked about. I think it'll compliment it so well.

I hope the new rapid blaster has beakon/kraken. That would help it so much imo.

Sploosh with seeker rush sounds so awesome. An army of seekers with the mobility of ten sploosh? Kreygasm

And honestly I'd use that new H-3 build unironically. It's such a bad weapon overall that it might as well be delegated to some sort of support kit with kraken :p

Oh yeah, that weapon list. I doubt it's real but it sure is fun to entertain.

Inkbrush with burst bomb rush was an idea some of us in the SplatGAF Discord talked about. I think it'll compliment it so well.

I hope the new rapid blaster has beakon/kraken. That would help it so much imo.

Sploosh with seeker rush sounds so awesome. An army of seekers with the mobility of ten sploosh? Kreygasm

And honestly I'd use that new H-3 build unironically. It's such a bad weapon overall that it might as well be delegated to some sort of support kit with kraken :p

Exactly. =D At least you can play keep away with the extended range of the H3. What I REALLY want to see is a mobility buff and a shot interval decrease. With the range buff, there's at least a tiny reason to use it over the L3. Increasing mobility and decreasing the time between shots would be a godsend for the H3. That, or swap the L3D's kit with the H3D's kit and I'd be happy.

Aldric

Exactly. =D At least you can play keep away with the extended range of the H3. What I REALLY want to see is a mobility buff and a shot interval decrease. With tge range buff, there's at least a tiny reason to use it over the L3. Increasing mobility and decreasing the time between shots would be a godsend for the H3. I still need to think about what it needs exactly.

lt needs to be able to land the three bullets more consistently. There's nothing worse than shooting at someone and only landing two hits because he slightly strafed. ln theory the H3 is supposed to sacrifice firerate/mobility for power, but in practice you have to shoot two or even three bursts to kill, making it completely worthless compared to the L3.

Moondrop

Banned
lt needs to be able to land the three bullets more consistently.
I second this. Which translates in practice to increased projectile velocity and/or reduced interval between projectiles.

Alternatively, they could increase the range even more, in line with the "charger of the shooters" concept.

Increased mobility or reduced time between shots would help, sure, but both of those parameters must always be greater than those of the L3, essentially by definition.

J@hranimo

Banned
Exactly. =D At least you can play keep away with the extended range of the H3. What I REALLY want to see is a mobility buff and a shot interval decrease. With the range buff, there's at least a tiny reason to use it over the L3. Increasing mobility and decreasing the time between shots would be a godsend for the H3. That, or swap the L3D's kit with the H3D's kit and I'd be happy.

Since I've ironically put more time than anyone should into the H3 nozzlenose, I'm personally ok with it's range now. Like you said before, they need to help make the shots connect more for guaranteed ohko bursts.

Oh, did I mention that a Bamboozler with Sprinkler and Inkzooka would be madness!?!?! I'd love it actually.

Moondrop

Banned
Reddit corroborates the leak with the addition of food-themed names and Japanese text. (I personally refuse to link to reddit.)

If this is indeed for real, I will be maining either one of the rollers, the inkbrush burst bomber, or the jr-o-matic. Guess I'll focus on practicing with those base weapons.

phanphare

Banned
oh man, if that's real I'm switching to the rapid blaster with based bombs and inkstrike for splat zones. holy shit, that's gonna be good.

Started playing this again after a break of a couple of months. And finally the struggle has ended, S+ rank reached:

p3282056ahor2.jpg

This was my very first online shooter so I'm happy I got so far. My Wii U can retire now, I'm ready for NX. I wasn't active here but for the next game I'll probably join SplatGaf ;-D

Some wishes for Spla2n:

- more substantial single player campaign
- make turf wars more interesting, after playing the ranked modes, turf is pretty boring
- all modes in Splat Fests
- this has improved, but still: better match making
- much bigger Inkopolis with more to do (stores, mini games etc.)
- more vertical maps like Moray Towers
- more maps with moving platforms, and changes like dropping water levels
- more ranked mode(s)
- more maps in rotation
- 2 player online mode like Mario Kart

J@hranimo

Banned
Started playing this again after a break of a couple of months. And finally the struggle has ended, S+ rank reached:

p3282056ahor2.jpg

This was my very first online shooter so I'm happy I got so far. My Wii U can retire now, I'm ready for NX. I wasn't active here but for the next game I'll probably join SplatGaf ;-D

Some wishes for Spla2n:

- more substantial single player campaign
- make turf wars more interesting, after playing the ranked modes, turf is pretty boring
- all modes in Splat Fests
- this has improved, but still: better match making
- much bigger Inkopolis with more to do (stores, mini games etc.)
- more vertical maps like Moray Towers
- more maps with moving platforms, and changes like dropping water levels
- more ranked mode(s)
- more maps in rotation
- 2 player online mode like Mario Kart

Holy crap, congrats! That's impressive, CDS is a solid kit but the weapon sometimes leaves some to be desired.

That's too bad you are stopping to play Splatoon judging by your post. SplatGAF is still very active in the discord and we have another CDS main. If you ever wanna play again you're more than welcome haha.

ss-hikaru

Where are you? Haven't seen you. Is the A jungle so thick and dark you have lost your way?

Up until Easter holidays I was playing every night but mostly ranked so you wouldn't have seen me. I'm back to A+ and gonna play more conservatively now :p Hopefully I'll be back on discord soon...

Unconfirmed leak of new weapons:

Volume 1
Splash-O-Matic: Splat Bomb, Bubbler

Volume 2
Carbon Roller: Squid Beakon, Bubbler

While I'd love more weapons with bubble, the splash kit is pretty much just the jr and I'd hate to go up against carbons with bubbler... Gimme dat DS tho XD

Edit: just realised there are no splatlings on that list :( Really hoping it's fake now XD

ss-hikaru

I know it's fake (sorry, was more playing along with the whole 'if it were real' for fun), but there are bound to be some lucky guesses on there :p I wonder who came up with the names though (as seen on Reddit), Potato Splash-o-matic just sounds so lol.

Holy crap, congrats! That's impressive, CDS is a solid kit but the weapon sometimes leaves some to be desired.

That's too bad you are stopping to play Splatoon judging by your post. SplatGAF is still very active in the discord and we have another CDS main. If you ever wanna play again you're more than welcome haha.

Thank you. CDS is the best weapon for my play style, there are others that might be "objectively better" but I found CDS the best for me. It's fast, has good damage, decent range and a very useful sub/special combination. Killer Wail is the most versatile special, I think. It's especially awesome in Rainmaker. Aim and time right and you can stop the enemy team from progressing or getting the rainmaker, even when all your team mates are splatted and/or you're very far away. You can destroy the rainmaker's shield easily and quickly even if you're by yourself. You can take out annoying ranged users from far away. In Tower Control, depending on the map, it's just as useful for preventing the other team from getting the lead. Though I often use the Tri-Slosher in Tower Control, it has crazy "splatting potential" on the tower since sloshers cover so much area with their ink (and the Tri is very fast), combined with the Bubbler it's a very capable weapon for this mode.

I might play again, I've quit this game before and came back. And I admit, S+99 would look great above my Inkling xD. I love the intensity of S matches, it can get really crazy at times. Amazing game.

Geg

Congrats, I approve of S+ CDS. It's my favorite weapon and is the best fit I've found for my playstyle too but after getting out of the A+ skill range I feel like it's harder to use against people who have gotten really proficient at other weapons. I tend to switch between it and the regular DS a lot now depending on the map & mode, though I stopped playing solo ranked entirely back in October when I reached S rank.

Personally I only use the normal DS for rainmaker rather than the custom though. I feel like echolocator is infinitely more useful for making big pushes because it lets the rainmaker carrier know (if they're smart) which areas are too dangerous to go into and where they can safely go to make big strides in points. Sometimes that can mean the difference between taking the lead or staying behind in points

Moondrop

Banned
Aww, it's probably fake isn't it? I started to believe and spent last night practicing dodging bullets with the inkbrush.

Question: what's the best way to ink with rollers? With the carbon, I feel like the movement speed is fast enough that you can either roll or flick interchangeably to cover turf. But with the basic rollers, I feel compelled to only flick like a dynamo, or else I'm just slow-moving bait.

Moondrop

Banned
I suppose I could try to time whether rolling or flicking fills up the special bar faster... I'll report back later.

Sorry for double-post; thought I was editing.

I main the Krak-On Splat Roller and I always take the road less traveled when inking the floor. If I die, I either jump to my beacon where I left off or take a new path to ink.

With wide maps like Piranha Pit and Blackbelly Skatepark, I tend to flick my ink instead of rolling. Whereas with narrow maps like Flounder Heights and Walleye Warehouse, I roll around to paint the floor.

Moondrop

Banned
Thanks for the feedback, silenttype01. My experiment is presented below:

Study: Which is better for inking with rollers, rolling or flicking?
Hypothesis: Flicking will cover turf faster than rolling for the standard roller.
Methods: I used the splat roller in the training room with 3 mains of Ink Saver (Main) and 1 sub of Special Charge Up. This weapon/gear combo was chosen so I could fill the special gauge on one ink tank. After practicing each sequence, the time to fill the special gauge was recorded for 5 trials of each technique.
Results: Rolling filled the special gauge in 14.41 ± 0.06 seconds. Flicking filled the special gauge in 9.37 ± 0.13 seconds.
Conclusion: Flicking covers turf faster than rolling by a factor of 2:3. Though there may be some circumstances in which it is better to roll, such as narrow paths.

ss-hikaru

Tried out the orange nzap last night, the fire rate is so damn fast o_O And it's got the same gear set as the DS. I've found my new weapon to practice in turf! Wonder why I never picked it up before...

Yes. T.S. Eliot came up with that only because he was a mediocre Splatoon player at best.

I saw you in turf last night, tried to join you twice but each time it kicked me to a different lobby? Either that or you left and then joined a new lobby. I dropped to try join you again. Then you left for good :( I feel like recently whenever I try to join you in turf it never works out XD

Regiruler

Dynamo Rollers make for such godawful teammates

I swear they're all braindead (maybe this charger won't shoot me as I slowly approach him in this corridor)

ChrisD

Dynamo Rollers make for such godawful teammates

I swear they're all braindead (maybe this charger won't shoot me as I slowly approach him in this corridor)

It's funny/sad how many players take literally the saying that Dynamo is nothing but standing in the same place flicking all game.

totowhoa

Banned
Holy shit. So my connection was fine ( 30d / 5u / 10 ping ) ... but I played two matches with different builds just now and my movement was FUCKED. I had less than half speed swimming or running, but I'd randomly get a half second of normal speed here or there for an instance.

It felt like trash. Everybody else appeared to be playing just fine though. Any idea what the heck is going on here? Anybody else experience this? I shut the game down mid-match for the first time ever because I couldn't do anything but hurt my own team. It was infuriating, it felt like somebody had used a disruptor on me the whole time!

Nico_D

I saw you in turf last night, tried to join you twice but each time it kicked me to a different lobby? Either that or you left and then joined a new lobby. I dropped to try join you again. Then you left for good :( I feel like recently whenever I try to join you in turf it never works out XD

Really? Probably stupid players in the rooms so I'm skipping from one to another. Also, trying out all the different weapons - including Aerospray - just for fun.

Let me know when you're on so I won't leave.

Kito

That sounds as dumb as a charger with Inkzooka.

Splat charger's biggest issue is E-liter and wall/inkstrike is perfect for the range issue.

Inkstrike would be good in TC/RM when you're about to make a push and need to target the untouchable E-liter, and wall for SZ so you can protect your camping spot.

ryan299

So my little brother got this game for his birthday and I've been playing it. It's really awesome. I just think the games are too short and respawn times are too high bc of how short the game is. Also having to sit through the news is annoying and just a stupid thing.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So my little brother got this game for his birthday and I've been playing it. It's really awesome. I just think the games are too short and respawn times are too high bc of how short the game is. Also having to sit through the news is annoying and just a stupid thing.

You will learn to love the Squid Sisters. And choose a side.

Callie's side

So after maining DS, .96 GD, and now at Rank A constantly getting my ass handed to me by rollers, i've decided to retry Roller myself.

I went for the Gold Dynamo but MAN is it crap for my playstyle :((( It's so unbelievably SLOW to roll and to set up a distance shot that's it's unbearable for me :(

What is the best compromise for a roller that has speed AND 1 shot kills (rolling over someone as well as a splash shot from afar)?

Aldric

So after maining DS, .96 GD, and now at Rank A constantly getting my ass handed to me by rollers, i've decided to retry Roller myself.

I went for the Gold Dynamo but MAN is it crap for my playstyle :((( It's so unbelievably SLOW to roll and to set up a distance shot that's it's unbearable for me :(

What is the best compromise for a roller that has speed AND 1 shot kills (rolling over someone as well as a splash shot from afar)?

Carbon roller. It's relatively mobile, kills super fast with its flick (shortest ttk in the game with the .52 Gal) and can fight at mid and long range with its sub (burst bombs) and special (inkzooka). It's one of the best weapons in the game and very common in higher ranks. lt can't one shot people by rolling on them but it's really not an issue with all the other tools at its disposal.

backlot

I don't think Carbon is actually one of the best weapons in the game. It can be good but it really depends on teammates for support. This is an issue that all rollers have because if your team can't maintain map control you can't do anything. They can't really get kills by going head on against shooters so if there's no ink for you to swim in you're going to feel really useless.

In solo ranked, you don't want to have to depend on your teammates. It makes using rollers really difficult. Dynamo is probably the best just because of how quickly it can cover turf to regain map control but if you're set against it then try Krak-On Roller or Carbon and learn to abuse Kraken and Zooka. Regular Splat might work in some rotations but I think the other two are more consistent.

Top Bottom