• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

ss-hikaru

Really? Probably stupid players in the rooms so I'm skipping from one to another. Also, trying out all the different weapons - including Aerospray - just for fun.

Let me know when you're on so I won't leave.

I'm in a bit of a try out different weapons phase too :) I'll let you know when I'm on...once I get my phone and discord back -_-

Moondrop

Banned
I don't think Carbon is actually one of the best weapons in the game. It can be good but it really depends on teammates for support. This is an issue that all rollers have because if your team can't maintain map control you can't do anything. They can't really get kills by going head on against shooters so if there's no ink for you to swim in you're going to feel really useless.

In solo ranked, you don't want to have to depend on your teammates. It makes using rollers really difficult. Dynamo is probably the best just because of how quickly it can cover turf to regain map control but if you're set against it then try Krak-On Roller or Carbon and learn to abuse Kraken and Zooka. Regular Splat might work in some rotations but I think the other two are more consistent.
What you say about map control and solo ranked is true, but it goes for virtually all short range weapons as well. Hell, there are only a handful of weapons in the game that can retake a map single-handedly, through their combination of inking and multi-kill potential. And perhaps the reality that these do mostly coincide with the top meta weapons refutes my point, but I don't think "carrying capacity" should be the only factor in determining weapon viability.

At some higher level of play in which your foes all achieve some level of competency, I believe you must rely on your teammates- or at least put them in a position to more easily succeed. That's how I've tried to play with tri-slosher and now with custom blaster.

Regarding the carbon roller, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, it has the well-roundedness to fight at all ranges plus the mobility to perhaps retake map control solo. But it lacks support abilities (disruptor, point sensor, bubbler, and echolocator being my favorites) to make teammates better. Sure is fun and potent though.

Blues1990

It was incredibly aggravating, but after hours of yo-yo-ing back and forth between 20-90 (along with getting a winstreak of 24 matches), I'm one rank away from joining the S Rank crowd. Until then, I'm pretty happy with my 8+ win-streak to reaching A+ Rank.

bNkVvbv.jpg

I was also wondering if I could get some feedback for the build that I have. I love using the Hero Replica gear, specifically the Hero Shot Replica and the Burst Bombs, as it feels satisfying to smash a whole team during the Bomb Rush. But I feel like I'm not strong enough to deal with the enemies that can pop me with one or two shots. Any suggestions?

v0KGOim.jpg

DjRalford

Since when has teabagging been a thing in splatoon?

Not played for a good few months but never had it happen before, now it seems to be every game.

phanphare

Banned
I was also wondering if I could get some feedback for the build that I have. I love using the Hero Replica gear, specifically the Hero Shot Replica and the Burst Bombs, as it feels satisfying to smash a whole team during the Bomb Rush. But I feel like I'm not strong enough to deal with the enemies that can pop me with one or two shots. Any suggestions?

you should try stacking damage up, it'll make your burst bombs more effective

I'm a splattershot main and I typically roll with two damage ups, two swim speed ups, and two defense ups. that seems to work really well.

Kito

At least 2x damage up is a must for any weapon with burst bombs. An eccentric build using 2x ink saver sub, to go from four to five burst bombs, is becoming popular. Other useful abilities for Hero Shot are bomb range, ink recovery, swim speed, and run speed (in that order). A gaffer took this weapon to S+ so keep at it!

backlot

What you say about map control and solo ranked is true, but it goes for virtually all short range weapons as well. Hell, there are only a handful of weapons in the game that can retake a map single-handedly, through their combination of inking and multi-kill potential. And perhaps the reality that these do mostly coincide with the top meta weapons refutes my point, but I don't think "carrying capacity" should be the only factor in determining weapon viability.

At some higher level of play in which your foes all achieve some level of competency, I believe you must rely on your teammates- or at least put them in a position to more easily succeed. That's how I've tried to play with tri-slosher and now with custom blaster.

Regarding the carbon roller, I'm of two minds. On the one hand, it has the well-roundedness to fight at all ranges plus the mobility to perhaps retake map control solo. But it lacks support abilities (disruptor, point sensor, bubbler, and echolocator being my favorites) to make teammates better. Sure is fun and potent though.

Carrying capacity is all that matters in solo ranked because your teammates will always be unreliable. A lot of weapons can work really well in squads when you can pick your teammates but if you want to do well consistently in solo ranked you have to be able to carry.

Kito

In solo, carbon is as much as dead weight as inkbrush, it's always bound by the ink of teammates. Carbon deco however, is far superior and unique, the only seeker + OHKO weapon. Seekers were made for this weapon.

J@hranimo

Banned
It was incredibly aggravating, but after hours of yo-yo-ing back and forth between 20-90 (along with getting a winstreak of 24 matches), I'm one rank away from joining the S Rank crowd. Until then, I'm pretty happy with my 8+ win-streak to reaching A+ Rank.

Congrats! I used to be a splattershot main myself, I still use it but not as often as usual.

Definitely invest in bomb range up and damage up. Both will be very essential with taking enemies out from afar. Next, I'd say get some movement perks. Both swim speed and run speed up are great for it, but I'd put more focus on swim speed since that overall just helps in more cases. After that it's all about your wits and sanity to make it to that S rank!

ChrisD

If nothing has changed, A+ is harder to get out of than S. You can be an excellent player and it'd still be hard to get out with how many A+ players... shouldn't really be there. Godspeed, Blues. With enough time I'm sure you'll make it.

Bomb Range Up is fun, and Damage Up is really handy, as everyone else has said. If you just like that set for the good aesthetics, you could try re-rolling the Shirt for some more Damage/Bomb Range?

ChrisD

Nah, S rank is a bitch to get out of because of the point weight.

Ehh... I guess starting from 30 points makes a big difference in the speed of things. I'm thinking from the perspective of having 70 points already. Having a cushion makes things easier on the stress.

And A+ was months ago, so things very well may have changed. It'd be weird if they didn't.

Aldric

If nothing has changed, A+ is harder to get out of than S. You can be an excellent player and it'd still be hard to get out with how many A+ players... shouldn't really be there. Godspeed, Blues. With enough time I'm sure you'll make it.

l've made it out of A+ 5 times. On the same account.

l can't for the life of me maintain my S rank though, let alone reach S+. l guess that makes me a S- player.

Moondrop

Banned
I too am stuck in A+. But I'm gonna stick with my custom blaster "empowerment" strategy a little longer before succumbing to the carrying meta.

I've been practicing with the splattershot/splatterscope (I know it's not really meta). I tried to learn squiffer first but this feels like I'm actually part of charger wars. I think I'm getting the hang of anticipating and releasing rather than waiting for my crosshairs to change. And I love using splat bomb rush to cover my mistakes.

Is there a consensus on scope or no scope? I'm not so concerned about the FOV limitation because I try not to stand there with my laser hanging out anyway. I like using the zoom for timing, but I could give it up.

Robotguy

I too am stuck in A+. But I'm gonna stick with my custom blaster "empowerment" strategy a little longer before succumbing to the carrying meta.

I've been practicing with the splattershot/splatterscope (I know it's not really meta). I tried to learn squiffer first but this feels like I'm actually part of charger wars. I think I'm getting the hang of anticipating and releasing rather than waiting for my crosshairs to change. And I love using splat bomb rush to cover my mistakes.

Is there a consensus on scope or no scope? I'm not so concerned about the FOV limitation because I try not to stand there with my laser hanging out anyway. I like using the zoom for timing, but I could give it up.
Scope is meta. Non-scoped is pretty uncommon in the higher ranks and competitive.
Personally I only play no scope because I can't deal with the scope's autozooming, but I'm not really a charger person anyways.

Scope seems more popular by a large margin.

I'm a strong anti-scope supporter, at least on the Splat Charger and Kelp Splat Charger.

Blues1990

At least 2x damage up is a must for any weapon with burst bombs. An eccentric build using 2x ink saver sub, to go from four to five burst bombs, is becoming popular. Other useful abilities for Hero Shot are bomb range, ink recovery, swim speed, and run speed (in that order). A gaffer took this weapon to S+ so keep at it!

Congrats! I used to be a splattershot main myself, I still use it but not as often as usual.

Definitely invest in bomb range up and damage up. Both will be very essential with taking enemies out from afar. Next, I'd say get some movement perks. Both swim speed and run speed up are great for it, but I'd put more focus on swim speed since that overall just helps in more cases. After that it's all about your wits and sanity to make it to that S rank!

Bomb Range Up is fun, and Damage Up is really handy, as everyone else has said. If you just like that set for the good aesthetics, you could try re-rolling the Shirt for some more Damage/Bomb Range?

All of this info is incredibly helpful. Thanks to all who chipped in. :D

I'll wait until the next Splatfest to get some snails to roll for better gear, as I don't have enough cash to take the risk of losing what I already have. At least I have 2x Damage already for the shoes, so I'll roll again to get 3X Damage. I just need to roll for another Bomb Range Up & some Ink Saver Sub Badges. Swim Speed Up would be more helpful, as I rarely travel in my kid form and it seems that the Run Speed Up doesn't increase overall strafing.

So, in order: Bomb Range Up x3, Damage Up x2, Ink Recover Sub & Swim Speed Up x2 are the key abilities for the Hero Shot Replica build? There is also Special Duration Up, but I guess that ability is more useful for the Bubble Shield than for me to chuck more bombs.

And despite getting other gear that can cover my bases, I love the aesthetics of the Hero Replica Gear for the time being. With that said, any recommended gear that can help me get the best out of this build will be most welcome.

Doorman

So yeah it finally happened.
WVW69jEBQQMj5L_EYl

After being stuck around A+ 50 for a nice long time (my longest stint in any rank so far, by far, I'd play a session and wind up right back in the 45-50 range) I somehow went on a tear in Piranha Pit splat zones. Being able to defend the close-side zone mostly solo proved to work out nicely, and the last round to rank up in particular felt so good, aim and movement were really dialed in. Might never play that well again now that it'll be higher competition, lol.

At any rate, I finally completed the challenge to myself to make it to S completely solo, as I wanted to know I could hang in the game well enough to make it without resorting to squad carries. Finally I'll be able to squad without worrying about tanking my rank and losing potential earnings!
Next step is to finally settle on some other weapons that I can be effective with. Every time I think I'm close with something, I go on a bad run that has me questioning everything. The regular splattershot is especially guilty of this pattern of being awful then suddenly great for a couple rounds and right back to awful again. Sub-goal remains coming up with some sort of viable Custom Jr. build...because yeah.

ChrisD

All of this info is incredibly helpful. Thanks to all who chipped in. :D

I'll wait until the next Splatfest to get some snails to roll for better gear, as I don't have enough cash to take the risk of losing what I already have. At least I have 2x Damage already for the shoes, so I'll roll again to get 3X Damage. I just need to roll for another Bomb Range Up & some Ink Saver Sub Badges. Swim Speed Up would be more helpful, as I rarely travel in my kid form and it seems that the Run Speed Up doesn't increase overall strafing.

So, in order: Bomb Range Up x3, Damage Up x2, Ink Recover Sub & Swim Speed Up x2 are the key abilities for the Hero Shot Replica build? There is also Special Duration Up, but I guess that ability is more useful for the Bubble Shield than for me to chuck more bombs.

And despite getting other gear that can cover my bases, I love the aesthetics of the Hero Replica Gear for the time being. With that said, any recommended gear that can help me get the best out of this build will be most welcome.

I'd be afraid of rolling a 2 out. It's pretty dang close to 3, so unless you really want to test your luck I'd probably hold onto the two 2Subbed pieces.

If you played Spyke Simulator(TM) like Jeff Vader and didn't have to worry about those things then it'd be different.

J@hranimo

Banned
So yeah it finally happened.
WVW69jEBQQMj5L_EYl

After being stuck around A+ 50 for a nice long time (my longest stint in any rank so far, by far, I'd play a session and wind up right back in the 45-50 range) I somehow went on a tear in Piranha Pit splat zones. Being able to defend the close-side zone mostly solo proved to work out nicely, and the last round to rank up in particular felt so good, aim and movement were really dialed in. Might never play that well again now that it'll be higher competition, lol.

At any rate, I finally completed the challenge to myself to make it to S completely solo, as I wanted to know I could hang in the game well enough to make it without resorting to squad carries. Finally I'll be able to squad without worrying about tanking my rank and losing potential earnings!
Next step is to finally settle on some other weapons that I can be effective with. Every time I think I'm close with something, I go on a bad run that has me questioning everything. The regular splattershot is especially guilty of this pattern of being awful then suddenly great for a couple rounds and right back to awful again. Sub-goal remains coming up with some sort of viable Custom Jr. build...because yeah.

Huzzah! Now you can squad with people!

Played Splatoon again after 3 weeks, I don't know how to win in this game now. lol

Also Splatoon JP didn't announce fest last week, which they should've done. Neither did they announce fest today. So the update might be next week?

Nico_D

Moondrop said:
Is there a consensus on scope or no scope?

Quartz is right, scoped is more popular. On some maps I do suffer from the extra range scope gives to E-Liter: for example Mahi Mahi and Ancho-V. It's nothing which can't be solved by getting into a better position. And scopeless should always be able to beat scoped one-on-one because of the possibility to keep the charge.

I'd be afraid of rolling a 2 out. It's pretty dang close to 3, so unless you really want to test your luck I'd probably hold onto the two 2Subbed pieces.

If you played Spyke Simulator(TM) like Jeff Vader and didn't have to worry about those things then it'd be different.
Spyke Simulator is the only way to play Splatoon 😏

YN12

Banned
Would probably be best if you tried single player first.
It does a pretty good job of getting you ready for multiplayer

I will. I was a bit unsure if I should get the game so late in the WiiU's life, but I finally caved in, thinking that at least I will enjoy the single player even if the MP goes dead.

I will. I was a bit unsure if I should get the game so late in the WiiU's life, but I finally caved in, thinking that at least I will enjoy the single player even if the MP goes dead.

Believe me. Multi is far from dead.
Getting a match usually takes only a short amount of time.
You can even ask Splatoon gaf for a match after you get used to stuff

I found single player pretty enjoyable too though.

J@hranimo

Banned
Finally got the game...downloading it now. Anything I should know before I start?

First, welcome!

Second, as some have said, definitely play the single player. It's relatively short but fun and it'll get you primed for multiplayer. Splatoon is far from dead, it's what keeps the Wii U alive for the most part haha.

Doorman

If nothing else, there are definitely still armies of Japanese players that still play this, and more often than not there's something going on here or on the SplatGAF discord server. Don't be concerned about running into empty lobbies.

The only real downside to getting into the game this late is the fact that nearly all of the content's been out for some time now, so you're going to wind up with a lot more options unlocking as you make your way up the early levels, and you'll be dealing with the newer, trickier maps right at the jump. It'll take some getting used to, but remember that you can try out new weapons in Sheldon's store without buying them to get a feel for their ranges and power and so forth.

Lastly, when it comes to equipping gear, just remember that
freshness counts.

YN12

Banned
If nothing else, there are definitely still armies of Japanese players that still play this, and more often than not there's something going on here or on the SplatGAF discord server. Don't be concerned about running into empty lobbies.

The only real downside to getting into the game this late is the fact that nearly all of the content's been out for some time now, so you're going to wind up with a lot more options unlocking as you make your way up the early levels, and you'll be dealing with the newer, trickier maps right at the jump. It'll take some getting used to, but remember that you can try out new weapons in Sheldon's store without buying them to get a feel for their ranges and power and so forth.

Lastly, when it comes to equipping gear, just remember that
freshness counts.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind! Really excited to have finally got the game.

Kito

After almost a month since the ability buffs, I'm curious if anyone has seen haunt or bomb sniffer in the wild? It seems only tenacity and ink saver sub saw usage increase. Gambit and LDE were initially popular then died.

J@hranimo

Banned
I still use Opening Gambit, and I've more or less stopped work on Last Ditch Effort. Comeback is underrated imo, but is a slightly watered down Tenacity.

I'll put more time into Recon when the Wasabi Shot comes out. I'm actually pretty excited about that weapon lol.

ss-hikaru

Ended up on a full bubble turf match last night haha. Classic Squiffer + Zink Mini + Splattershot Jr + Trislosher Noveau VS 3x Splattershot Jr + Trislosher Noveau. It very much was a match of don't bubble until the enemy does....lol... While I love bubble I wouldn't say it was very fun :p

ChrisD

After almost a month since the ability buffs, I'm curious if anyone has seen haunt or bomb sniffer in the wild? It seems only tenacity and ink saver sub saw usage increase. Gambit and LDE were initially popular then died.

I still run Gambit and LDE in Splat Zones, depending on which map is in.
I use Haunt a fair bit, depends on if I expect BB-E-Liters in the rotation (though C-E-Liter has been taking most of their play lately).
If I'm not using Mink or Jr. (which is almost never) I use Bomb Sniffer.

But as for seeing anyone else? After a week things went right back to old Meta. So to reply to your discussion point, no. Not seen any of them in weeks.

WVW69jEoMVIXCLGlw-

Ok, this right here took me nearly all day to finally get the third sub. I think i'm about 2 steps from quitting the spyke simulator ride.

J@hranimo

Banned
WVW69jEoMVIXCLGlw-

Ok, this right here took me nearly all day to finally get the third sub. I think i'm about 2 steps from quitting the spyke simulator ride.

That is a lie and you know it :p

Speaking of gear, if I can get a damage up shirt with triple swim speed and finally get the final swim speed up sub on my plum casuals then I'll have my ideal gear set for rapid blaster!

Looking at this: http://splatoonmaps.github.io/
Why no Port Mackerel/Saltspray Rig TC since October 2015?
No Piranha Pit/Blackbelly Skatepark/Saltspray Rig Rainmaker since February?

Can't they fix all that (don't even know what's wrong by the way) instead of removing them from the rotation? It shouldn't take half a year.

Top Bottom