• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon | Review Thread

I'm trying to think of a similar situation happening with another publisher (when the game is still tehnically competent, and the publisher has been upfront for weeks or more that conent would continue in the months after release), because I'm not sure I agree that they'd be immediately torn apart. Especially in Nintendo's case, where they aren't repeat offenders.

The only similar situation I can think of is Titanfall which initially didn't have much content when it first launched. It currently has a higher score than Splatoon on Metacritic.

chixdiggit

To those that played the demo...
I simply can not stand aiming with any dual stick controller. I have a WiiU but have never played anything I had to aim with. Do I have a realistic option to play this without using the dual stick controller??

NotLiquid

I simply can not stand aiming with any dual stick controller. I have a WiiU but have never played anything I had to aim with. Do I have a realistic option to play this without using the dual stick controller??

The only available option is gyro on the Wii U Gamepad. Many people prefer this option but quite a few don't care for it.

Regarding the rolled out content, I know Destiny got a lot of criticism for doing something similar but that was more with regard to the single player & story being incomplete. Are all of Destiny's expansions paid dlc or are they free like Splatoon's?

They're paid. Splatoon to my understanding is free.

bart64

Banned
Since I wrote this review for Ars Technica, here's the corresponding explanation (also in the review) -

"You'll want to switch to joystick-only controls as quickly as possible for one reason: the motion controls will frequently turn your joystick off in the heat of battle, effectively making it impossible to quickly turn around when, for example, a paint-rolling opponent is about to run you down."

Did you try using the y button for quick 180s? I'm pretty sure that's faster than turning around with analog. I haven't played enough to be sure, but I would bet that in the end the gyro people will have the advantage just based on the ability to quickly make fine adjustments.

Shauni

Are you asking if it's compatible with the Wiimote? No, it's not.

Kriken

Regarding the rolled out content, I know Destiny got a lot of criticism for doing something similar but that was more with regard to the single player & story being incomplete. Are all of Destiny's expansions paid dlc or are they free like Splatoon's?

The criticism toward's Destiny's content was it was repetitive (Bullet sponges galore), and the story was awful. The criticism towards the first expansion didn't feel like it was worth the money
I haven't been keeping up with House of Wolves, but iirc, that one was decent despite lacking a raid

AdanVC

lmao this thread.

DQ9VV8y.png

Hahahaha Salt-oon! Available as DLC soon.

Super Macho Man

Neo Member
Pre-loaded and ready to go for tomorrow evening. It's scoring as I expected it would, but at the end of the day, the way it feels when I play it is more important than what any review would say. Was in the last test fire and myself and my girlfriend enjoyed the hell out of it. Easily my most anticipated release of the year since Zelda got pushed into next year.

The criticism toward's Destiny's content was it was repetitive (Bullet sponges galore), and the story was awful. The criticism towards the first expansion didn't feel like it was worth the money
I haven't been keeping up with House of Wolves, but iirc, that one was decent despite lacking a raid

A lot of the criticism was the shortage on content too. And in a couple months they already had you paying for more content.

Mask

I've been having a ton of fun with it. Up to level 5 at the moment, kinda annoying that the matchmaking tends to distribute the higher level players all on one team, makes it impossible to win sometimes.

Ansatz

People and reviewers don't seem to understand the concept behind arcade games. It's all about the number of maps, having endless weapon/character customization options, plenty of xp bars to fill and online modes to choose from. This all results in low quality and inbalance of the gameplay, it's the shitty bigger is better mentality all over again.

It's like you want games to be like WoW where the small ammount of substance the game actually has is bloated to last infinitely longer than it should. The replay value should be judged based on how much fun the core gameplay is, not how much (pointless) stuff there is to do. Just think about any competitive game out there, like how Counter Strike is based on the same mode and 5 core maps you play over and over since 15 years back.

Honestly Splatoon didn't catch on with these reviewers because there are no skinner box elements to it which means the game has no addictive quality. Mario Kart 8 also had this very same issue, they complained about how little stuff there is to unlock and how it needed more content for them to jump back into it.

Wow, I'm actually kinda surprised by the scores. Was expecting more of a mix bag but it's a lot more positive than I thought it would be. I really hope this sells well since a lot of Nintendo's new IP usually do less than stellar than many of their old ones.

Neoxon

Wow, I'm actually kinda surprised by the scores. Was expecting more of a mix bag but it's a lot more positive than I thought it would be. I really hope this sells well since a lot of Nintendo's new IP usually do less than stellar than many of their old ones.
That's why Nintendo advertised the shit out of this game.

Converse

Banned
I just wanted to say that I really like that Paste Magazine review. It's few and far between that I see any piece about gaming so well written (most reviews are so full of re-cap content and tropes they numb my mind before I get to the conclusion). Very nice little piece, and it gets me even more excited for Friday.

Bamboo Boy

Neo Member
I have to agree that FOR NOW the game is really light in content for 60 bucks. Yet, I have the money and I want to play it, so whatever. Conclusion? You can waste your money in whatever you want.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Now we're talking! Good to see strong reviews from sites I'm more familiar with!

Going to have to nab this for sure now.

JDSN

Banned
First it was amiibos. Now splatoon. There better be a rehab center for this kind of stuff.

The two minutes time is a blessing for Nintendo, it makes gaming in short bursts possible and it makes team coordination less prominent, the great hud helps a lot too.

The two minutes time is a blessing for Nintendo, it makes gaming in short bursts possible and it makes team coordination less prominent, the great hud helps a lot too.

I agree, I actually think the time(isn't it 3 minutes??? maybe not) is pretty dam smart.

It could be a bit longer but it seems to hit some magical sweetspot.

Cleve

Wow, glad to see it's reviewing well. I'm a bit surprised given the launch content, but I guess that is par for the course with shooters these days.

Maybe this paired with the aggressive marketing they've been doing will show some real results for Nintendo.

noshten

Cannot wait for Zero Punctuation video to be made.

Just the intro would be

"here is a game that asks the hard questions.
I'm a kid or are you fucking kidding me with your marketing Nintendo
Go sit in the corner and explain yourself yourself
A game about small boys and girls,
who turn into squids to spill bodily fluids across a map."

Cannot wait, it's going to be hilarious.

latest

KooopaKid

Banned
People and reviewers don't seem to understand the concept behind arcade games. It's all about the number of maps, having endless weapon/character customization options, plenty of xp bars to fill and online modes to choose from. This all results in low quality and inbalance of the gameplay, it's the shitty bigger is better mentality all over again.

It's like you want games to be like WoW where the small ammount of substance the game actually has is bloated to last infinitely longer than it should. The replay value should be judged based on how much fun the core gameplay is, not how much (pointless) stuff there is to do. Just think about any competitive game out there, like how Counter Strike is based on the same mode and 5 core maps you play over and over since 15 years back.

Honestly Splatoon didn't catch on with these reviewers because there are no skinner box elements to it which means the game has no addictive quality. Mario Kart 8 also had this very same issue, they complained about how little stuff there is to unlock and how it needed more content for them to jump back into it.

The addictive quality are the core mechanics, the controls and the visual/aural feedback.
It's the perfect one-more-go game. Not for getting new gears, not for filling a bar, just for the fun of the battles.

That's pretty much the case for all IP, not just Nintendo's. By the time sequels roll around, it's got a much bigger buzz and public awareness.

With that in mind, I fully expect Nintendo to keep this franchise moving. It's unique, highly visible, critically adored and fills a huge gameplay gap in their library.

What I'm saying is Spla2n on NX is going to be fuck-awesome.

chixdiggit

The only available option is gyro on the Wii U Gamepad. Many people prefer this option but quite a few don't care for it.

Sorry for the dumb questions but I am not too knowledgeable on the WiiU
So like using the tablet? Like tilting it? Or like swiping fingers? Or using the control stick?

Are you asking if it's compatible with the Wiimote? No, it's not.
Hmm seems kind of an odd thing to leave out...

NotLiquid

Sorry for the dumb questions but I am not too knowledgeable on the WiiU
So like using the tablet? Like tilting it? Or like swiping fingers? Or using the control stick?

Yeah, it's basically tilting.

XszMuk.gif

While the gyro is on you can assist horizontal camera control with the right stick and reset the position with the Y button. I'm not the biggest fan but many people like it once they get used to it.

atr0cious

Yeah, it's basically tilting.

XszMuk.gif

While the gyro is on you can assist horizontal camera control with the right stick and reset the position with the Y button. I'm not the biggest fan but many people like it once they get used to it.

Just so you know you don't have to do that lateral motion. My shoulder is fucked so I really can't and I use the thumbstick for left and right while barely turning my wrists. Turning the sensitivity up to +1.5 lets you move super quick, and the quickturn/calibration button takes cares of the rest.

Top Bottom