• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon singleplayer campaign announced

The music is a bit less restrained than what I'm used to from Naganuma. Or, you know, the musicians working on this game could be really into his style, just like we are. Whatever happens, we're gonna enjoy the end result.

Neff

This trailer was jam-packed with moments where I saw things I didn't understand, but wanted to because they looked incredibly interesting and novel. Pure Nintendo.

60FPS footage of this game looks absolutely great. Nintendo needs to really promote the crud out of this title. The game looks gorgeous and FUN.

Silky

Banned
Disappointed. Would love to see their resources focused mostly on MP, but hey, they gotta sell the game.

Lijik

It sounds like him man. That style is hard to imitate.

I kind of disagree. The rock song it opens with could definitely pass as Naganuma but everything after sounds like WarioWare or something filtered through The Wub Machine generator. Its still rad but definitely has more of a experimental nintendo vibe than Naganuma.

Disappointed. Would love to see their resources focused mostly on MP, but hey, they gotta sell the game.
MP arenas probably needed the most deliberation, whereas these levels are strings of ideas that you might see in, say, a Mario game. Which isn't surprising, as this began as a Mario prototype before morphing into a shooter.

Mesoian

KuGmhV7.png

Someone needs to ask if it's him.

This is mean.

Someone tell him he's being mean.

Courage

See, if this was some third party studio with a lukewarm track record, I'd be skeptical too. But this is a in-house Nintendo game we're talking about. They're gonna nail it regardless.

The written language in this world deserves some respect of its own as far as design goes:

e9d7d02a3ed782910d225e44bd0da029.png

I swear this language borrows enough from every written language style and mixes them all together expertly enough where Japanese and English readers alike would swear that they would be able to read it if they only had a longer look at it.

Not to mention the comic frame to the right in the image above looks more manga-esque whereas a lot of the wall graffiti looks western-influenced.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Don't forget you can watch in 60fps in Chrome!

The visual style they're going for looks great and is enhanced by the unusual music. Love the creativity I'm seeing. They showed some new gameplay mechanics, the grenade has been turned into a big ball (maybe it's a different weapon?), skin color customization. I was hoping for 1st quarter 2015 but it looks like they've got some games lined up already and I'm sure it will benefit from extra time in the oven.

I'd love it if the glyphs and spoken noises form a language we could learn and use, but that doesn't happen very often, not even in Nintendo games (SFA's Dinosaur cipher doesn't count). At least we get to choose how our homo blooper-us looks.

Josh5890

I hope it is co-op if it hasn't been announced yet. Either way it will be a blast.

So what are we calling ourselves, Splat-gaf?

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
It's hard to tell how involved the campaign will be. Bosses? Narrative? Unique levels? I'm not sure if it's just a bunch of squid bots hanging around in the multiplayer stages.

I love the idea behind Splatoon because it's so typical Nintendo.

"Some people are bad at shooters. Those require a high level of skill and when most unskilled players try to play, they can't shoot the targets. They just end up shooting the wall."
"Okay. Let's make a game where you're supposed to shoot walls."

It's hard to tell how involved the campaign will be. Bosses? Narrative? Unique levels? I'm not sure if it's just a bunch of squid bots hanging around in the multiplayer stages.
None of the arenas have open voids like the (admittedly) few stages we've seen here. That alone changes the dynamic, though whether there are unlimited respawns or lives is unknown. I'd like to play with restrictions, but not all players will.

mclem

Let's be honest, there's no way that Nintendo would have released this game without single player content.

While that's true, I was expecting something perhaps akin to, say, Quake 3; a single player campaign fundamentally made up of multiplayer against bots. This is a *lot* more involved than I was anticipating.

wsippel

Banned
They've shown a few what I assume are bosses and one boss fight I think. Also, some of the stages don't appear to be symmetric, so there seem to be specific single player (and maybe co-op) stages. And NPCs.
And hats.

Ranger X

So NOW there's something for me in this game. YAY!

Can't wait, I hope this single player mode isn't just an afterthought.

Courage

While that's true, I was expecting something perhaps akin to, say, Quake 3; a single player campaign fundamentally made up of multiplayer against bots. This is a *lot* more involved than I was anticipating.

Is it though? It probably trains you on paint placement and how to traverse through the environments efficiently. Seems like a perfect way to warm you up to the game.

The Old Inkling seems to have an important story role, if the trailer editing and appearance in the manga says something. Maybe he'll be the Yin to the cat referee's Yang.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dang, that music is catchy.

Seeing a single player campaign really has me interested in this now. I liked the idea, but as someone that's not big into games that's focused more on multiplayer than single player, I feared it wasn't gonna be for me.

Also why did I get a Super Mario Galaxy/Sunshine's Fludd-less level vibe from some of those levels?

Edit: Hey, pause the trailer at 1:26. Bloopers from SMB &.....OCTOROKS FROM ZELDA? Granted, they are octopus-like creatures. Heh, imagine if this whole Squids vs. Octopus war started because of the Bloopers & Octoroks.

DJ88

Why do I instantly feel a JSR vibe from this? It's a good feeling.

EDIT: My bad, I misunderstood that Naganuma was doing the music from some of the posts.

Kouriozan

I love the idea behind Splatoon because it's so typical Nintendo.

"Some people are bad at shooters. Those require a high level of skill and when most unskilled players try to play, they can't shoot the targets. They just end up shooting the wall."
"Okay. Let's make a game where you're supposed to shoot walls."
I laughed x)

What's this, a shooter with no shitty scripted set pieces? No boring open world with vast areas of nothing? Level design in my single player campaign? Music? Not buying.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
They've shown a few what I assume are bosses and one boss fight I think. Also, some of the stages don't appear to be symmetric, so there seem to be specific single player (and maybe co-op) stages. And NPCs.
And hats.

The platforming / diving aspect seems rather unique, and would be a huge missed opportunity if it isn't integrated into the campaign levels. But I just don't know how much time and resources they are devoting to the campaign. Is it just a quick response or something intricately planned?

superbank

The definition of front-butt.

Singleplayer looks to be unique areas different from the multiplayer levels. MP are large arenas that facilitate freedom of movement and ability to shoot at other areas from multiple places on the map. The SP levels look like small inter-connected areas, linear progression going from start to finish. Or maybe even some Mario Galaxy influence using jump pads to jump between "islands".

The platforming / diving aspect seems rather unique, and would be a huge missed opportunity if it isn't integrated into the campaign levels. But I just don't know how much time and resources they are devoting to the campaign. Is it just a quick response or something intricately planned?

Oh I see where you're coming from. That, I don't think anyone can say but EAD. For me though as long as it feels fleshed out when I play it, I won't care if they rushed to add it or planned from the beginning. From what we see in the trailer though it looks like thought was put into it, tons of interesting mechanics and puzzles.

K.Sabot

I actually was not watching the stream and had audio only for most of this trailer and was like "what is with this mainstream style The Books music playing".

Upon full viewing of 60 fps I am truly converted to buying the fuck out of this.

Solidsoul

Banned
I personally have trouble seeing the appeal of this game, but nonetheless i'm really happy for everyone who does that they are also getting a single-player portion. More bang for your buck it seems, awesome.

Top Bottom