• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

Sure, because we all know that low latency and a huge amount of tickrate issues like tradekills, kills from enemies not even facing you, hitscan-issues and so on are hotfix-material. The game is incredible in it's design, but the technical side is so flawed, it just cannot win any multiplayer category as of this day. Maybe they make some huge improvements till next award season, then we can debate this again. Rainbow Six: Siege Vanilla has not earned any multiplayer award.

...some of those are hotfix material, yes. Not sure what you're trying to say?

A lot of that can be improved to a great extent without touching the tickrate. DICE did a lot to work on and minimize kill trades, insta-kills, etc. with BF4 even prior to their tickrate upgrade.

I understand what a difference a good tickrate can make. DICE had to completely rebalance their weapons after their tickrate improvement because everyone was killing each other so quickly. However, the lower tickrate didn't make BF4 a shitty game at launch--the server issues did.

I don't know if the tickrate, or general server issues, are a bigger deal on PC than console. I know it can be felt more, since PC plays a lot faster, typically, but I have yet to have a significant amount of bad/unfair deaths in Siege on X1.

Basically: we're less than a week into Siege's release. It's way too early to know how much is unfixable or a "technical mess," especially when unverified figures like 15hz rates are thrown around.

Ouroboros

Just bought this game over the cyber monday sale. Couldn't be happier with my purchase, though local multiplayer is somewhat lacking.

El Sabroso

Destiny TTK is my best shooter of the year with BLOPS 3 being the best Multiplayer. Though now I am interested in checking out Splatoon. The vids and reviews just didn't sell me on the game.

is better to search for a friend who has it and just watch him/her play a little, give it a try and see what is really good, game is super fun

Justinh

Congrats to Splatoon! This game was never really on my radar, but I guess I'll have to check it out down the line, I just feel like I don't have the time right now for another game. Even if the play sessions might be bite-sized.

I might be alone but one thing I don't agree with this game is the exclusion of Off Tv Play.

It should have it.

Even if I can't use the functions of the Gamepad.

Or they could do a work-around.

Moltenix

Well deserved. I've never been a big multiplayer guy especially when it comes to shooters but can't get enough of Splatoon.

Avalt

I found the controls to be the biggest issue with the game. I wish I was one of the lucky ones who could just get used to the motion controls :(

Rewards well deserved thou.

gogogow

Definitely, although I suspect some of the people celebrating Splatoon's victory haven't played the titles that didn't win, so...

Not sure why that would matter. You don't need to have played the other nominees to be happy for Splatoon's win. Being happy is better than being salty. I have both Black Ops 3 and Splatoon since launch and i've put in way more hours into Blops3 than Splatoon and in a way shorter timframe, because that's more my kinda game. But I understand why Splatoon won and i'm happy it won. Nintendo definitely deserve recognition for making such an innovative and fresh game.

Some people needs to show some sportmanship. All these console and franchise wars are so childish.

Nosgotham

I found the controls to be the biggest issue with the game. I wish I was one of the lucky ones who could just get used to the motion controls :(

Rewards well deserved thou.

i just turned them off. i usually love motion controls but only having it in one axis was too weird for me.

timshundo

This is such good news. Other than the soccer car arena game the other nominees all looked interchangeable. The industry needs some shake-ups.

The people on here that haven't played the game and were pissed about the on-disc DLC and dismissed the game immediately at launch are misguided, especially because no DLC/update content has been paid (the game doesn't have any paying/microtransaction mechanisms).

The game is something new entirely for the genre and having all 14 maps we have now at launch would have been way overwhelming for the majority of people who don't feel the need to have that much variety at launch. Their slow rollout of content has kept the same audience engaged for over half a year as well as provided enough game-changing content to allow tactics/gameplay to evolve over time and not get boring.

The other nominated shooters are in a map quantity war because their game mechanics have been the same for a decade and it's one of the biggest ways to keep their returning audiences engaged. 5 maps at Splatoon's launch was fine.

woodland

Very little content in the beginning combined with a dev dictatorship of playlist maps? I'm fine with it winning best shooter, but best multiplayer? Really?

Rocket League deserves that far and above any other this year. Insanely fun game, cross-play to keep it better, good replay system, constant, literally constant, dev support, and finally custom games.

Eh, whatever. Awards are usually pretty ridiculous.

Alias03

better than judging Splatoon with 0 experience.
Lets be honest, CoD base game hasn't really changed.

My entire point was saying that so on that point I agree with you, but your second statement makes its pretty obvious you don't play COD... Am I wrong?

Exile20

Very little content in the beginning combined with a dev dictatorship of playlist maps? I'm fine with it winning best shooter, but best multiplayer? Really?

Rocket League deserves that far and above any other this year. Insanely fun game, cross-play to keep it better, good replay system, constant, literally constant, dev support, and finally custom games.

Did you play Splatoon at any length?

phanphare

Banned

you praise rocket league for its constant support yet criticize splatoon for its constant support?

woodland

you praise rocket league for its constant support yet criticize splatoon for its constant support?

Rocket League doesn't limit its players to a certain amount of maps available every x rotation, and didn't three months to add a significant amount of content.

I'm not saying it's a bad game - I love it, but best multiplayer went Rocket League has many more options is a bit silly. I remember arguing with you in Splatoon threads before release about no voice chat ;P, which Rocket League has lol.

CrisKre

This is IMO, very well deserved. This game is designed masterfully, and is quyite frankly crack in video game form.

phanphare

Banned
Rocket League doesn't limit its players to a certain amount of maps available every x rotation, and didn't three months to add a significant amount of content.

I'm not saying it's a bad game - I love it, but best multiplayer went Rocket League has many more options is a bit silly. I remember arguing with you in Splatoon threads before release about no voice chat ;P, which Rocket League has lol.

not sure what you mean with this, splatoon has been adding content since it released

also it just goes to show that enticing gameplay can make up for a lack of features

Twitch chat sure was a fun read when they announced the win :/

I haven't played Splatoon yet but it looks like a blast and I'm so happy for that team.

Louis010

Banned
I haven't played splatoon yet other then the beta test play or whatever that was (I refuse to pay 60$ for a multiplayer only title, Nintendo refuses to drop there prices) but halo 5 might be the best multiplayer game I've ever played so either splatoon is GOAT (which I doubt based on my limited playtime) or halo got robbed.
Splatoon has a story mode... Also I never get this logic, I'm sure you would pay for a single player only game, so why not multiplayer?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
That it is, but also a new territory and genre for Nintendo that had netcode problems, serious balancing issues, etc. You put it side by side with the more tenured developers in this genre and its problems...let's say 'were'...apparent.

Best new IP by far though. The next game is going to be magic.
I almost never had any net code problems with splatoon fyi, balance is also pretty good, it wasent long ago when everybody thought rolled were OP only for them to get shut down Even beyond that, about a month of 2 ago there was a re entry balance patch out.

I want it but for SP and some occasional play, so the price affects my decision to buy. I know it deserves it, in my case it is relative to play time.
How long is the SP?

SP is great as a warmup but also to show off the potential of the mechanics in a platforming and action game realm. There is a ton of potential going on here and I don't think it's acknowledged often enough. I'm really hoping single player gets the time and attention it deserves in future Splatoons.

Also, an incredible boss fight.

Probably 5 hours to beat the whole thing, a little more if you want to collect all the scrolls. Which you'll probably want to do.

Madness

Best multiplayer you can argue about fun being perhaps the biggest REASON to win, but when you're arguing Best Shooter overall, you have to take into account everything from campaign, voice over work, story, writing, level design, art design, sound design, gun play, multiplayer modes, etc.

Splatoon comes up woefully short in these areas, especially compared to Halo 5 and Black Ops 3.

phanphare

Banned
Best multiplayer you can argue about fun being perhaps the biggest REASON to win, but when you're arguing Best Shooter overall, you have to take into account everything from campaign, voice over work, story, writing, level design, art design, sound design, gun play, multiplayer modes, etc.

Splatoon comes up woefully short in these areas, especially compared to Halo 5 and Black Ops 3.

it quite clearly doesn't though

I'm thrilled that a creative and mechanically brillant game is getting the recognition it deserves.

It's the cure for all the me too shooters that have been trying to make Infinity Ward's game from years ago.

If the mechanics were more transferable to existing games you'd see everyone copying the shit out of this game.

CrisKre

Nah. Its funny, when they first announced it and stated they wanted it to be to shooters what Mario Kart was to racers many scoffed it off, yet here we are.

Would've given it to Rocket League. Both games are great, mind you, and they're both very fresh MP games, but for me a big part of multiplayer games is letting the player play in the way they want. Splatoon likes to restrict people too much in what modes and maps they play, and the fact that Splatfests disable the vast majority of online MP options over the course of an entire weekend is just horrible.

RL is just seamless. You can play the game literally however you want, especially now with the added options. Private or public matches, you can jump in and out of parties with any combination of online and splitscreen, not to mention PS4-PC cross-platform play. RL's strength is paying close attention to all of these options, whereas Splatoon continues to fall into the more typical trappings of modern MP games where there's big blind spots in play options for people, even after the updates (though it has gotten much better with Squid Squads and the like). In my opinion, and I realize it's not that important to everyone, that's what gives RL the edge for me.

noshten

I almost never had any net code problems with splatoon fyi, balance is also pretty good, it wasent long ago when everybody thought rolled were OP only for them to get shut down Even beyond that, about a month of 2 ago there was a re entry balance patch out.

Nothing is really overpowered, there are optimal weapons for certain modes/maps.
E-liter at higher echelons and Gal/Wall was the closes we had to OP weapons across all maps/modes.

Right now it's just individuals that make certain weapons OP:

Dude Scope Gif:
OXnl5P.gif

Jims

I think it's cool that two of the more elegant game concepts were vying for Best Multiplayer Game. You take one look at both Rocket League and Splatoon and immediately get what it is. The both feel like concepts that should have been done ten years ago. But both games offer depth and strategy that makes higher-level play possible. Not to knock the other three games on the multiplayer list, I just find it neat that we have two games like Rocket League and Splatoon in 2015.

massoluk

Banned

No, I don't think so. The SP can held its own just fine, it delivers one of the more amazing boss fights in shooter genre. The campaign reminds me of the first Portal game. The art and sound design earned many praises. The gun play is innovative, dynamics, yet accessible. Multiplayer modes are improving day-by-day.

Halo is better and more fully featured than Splatoon and probably should have won those awards, but I'm not mad that Splatoon won them. I really like Splatoon.

prag16

Banned
The game really fell short for me in a few areas. What ultimately caused me to stop playing it regularly was the horrendous restriction of two maps per mode for four hour windows. Really kneecapped the experience for me. I know I'm in the minority there among current company though.

Regardless, I'm glad it gets the recognition, because it actually brought new ideas to the table, and succeeded with a lot of what it attempted, rather than just being the same as everything else out there.

BokehKing

Banned
I think the problem is no one is going to go out and buy a wii u to play splatoon (I sold my wii u to my friend her for kids)

I have played it at their house.....its just one of those games it's fun but far from being more fun than rocket league

It would be like giving Ori game of the year, it's a little silly

Let's all hope the NX is a more traditional system with a regular game pad and splatoon 2 launches early

Hold on there. You don't need to consider voice over, story, and art design to win best shooter. The game just needs to be the best shooter to be the best shooter.

To be fair, folks do seem very happy with the multiplayer in Call of Duty this year, even those who have played for several days worth of hours.

I loved Black Ops II's multiplayer and its Zombie mode.

I haven't played III but it looks great in multiplayer as well(don't give a shit about singleplayer Call of Duty).

So I have a lot of respect for those as multiplayer games(especially Treyarch ones).

You won't see me saying that they are the same ol, same ol as a negative because they are slick and fun.

I think the problem is no one is going to go out and buy a wii u to play splatoon (I sold my wii u to my friend her for kids)

I have played it at their house.....its just one of those games it's fun but far from being more fun than rocket league

It would be like giving Ori game of the year, it's a little silly

Let's all hope the NX is a more traditional system with a regular game pad and splatoon 2 launches early

Splatoon was one of the first games I picked up when I got my Wii U. It was a large enough reason for me, ofc I knew I got other Nintendo games, but up until splatoon, I didn't feel the need to buy a Wii u

I loved Black Ops II's multiplayer and its Zombie mode.

I haven't played III but it looks great in multiplayer as well(don't give a shit about singleplayer Call of Duty).

So I have a lot of respect for those as multiplayer games(especially Treyarch ones).

You won't see me saying that they are the same ol, same ol as a negative because they are slick and fun.

Blops 3 is an amazing game this year. I was pleasantly surprised. Probably the best shooter and multiplayer game I've played this year.

Top Bottom