• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon wins 'Best Multiplayer' and 'Best Shooter' @ TGA 2015

I think the problem is no one is going to go out and buy a wii u to play splatoon (I sold my wii u to my friend her for kids)

I have played it at their house.....its just one of those games it's fun but far from being more fun than rocket league

It would be like giving Ori game of the year, it's a little silly

Let's all hope the NX is a more traditional system with a regular game pad and splatoon 2 launches early
Firstly, does that mean we should judge based on whether or not people are buying systems to play these? Who's buying a PS4 for Rocket League, or CoD. How many people went out to get an Xbone just for Halo 5 when they likely did it for the MCC. What point are you making there?

Also, why couldn't Ori win GOTY? It's an excellent game.

Nameless

The sound design in Splatoon makes me want to stab something, anything, with a very large screwdriver and I have no idea why besides maybe latent mental illness.

Anyway, not really my cup of tea from what little I played but people seem to love it.

ffdgh

I say congrats. Always nice to see splatoon get some love.

Late reply but I prefer highly skilled competitive shooters. Not saying Splatoon is not as I don't know for sure, but from the outside it doesn't seem to be that way. Also maybe because it is just different and unique. Which I suppose is a good thing these days.

Oh you'd be surprised how complex things can get. People hiding in the tiniest puddles, hiding on walls, crazy bomb aim.

T.O.P

Banned
Congrats, i played the game briefly at a friend's house and had a blast, fantastic art style as wellingtonia

Exile20

Late reply but I prefer highly skilled competitive shooters. Not saying Splatoon is not as I don't know for sure, but from the outside it doesn't seem to be that way. Also maybe because it is just different and unique. Which I suppose is a good thing these days.

"highly skilled competitive shooters" what does that mean anyway cause the typical shooters are ADS and shoot and whoever dies first.

Splatoon is all about outsmarting you enemy. It is not shoot everything that moves. It is about ambushing, finding alternate routes, judging distances, actually having time to make a decision, using your weapon to its advantage especially when all are so different, using your special at the right time, etc.

Mory Dunz

tumblr_n45mt8V8441qmj3m3o1_250.gif

wildfire

Banned
Nothing is really overpowered, there are optimal weapons for certain modes/maps.
E-liter at higher echelons and Gal/Wall was the closes we had to OP weapons across all maps/modes.

Right now it's just individuals that make certain weapons OP:

Dude Scope Gif:
OXnl5P.gif

Considering how much slower the zoom in is over Quake I'm really impressed with his or her precision.

He's one of, if not the best player(s) in the West right now.
I pretty much can't approach him at all when I play him in tourneys.
(That's not even his main btw)

Speaking of which what are some major tournies coming up besides the one Nintendo is hosting?

Kimawolf

Nothing is really overpowered, there are optimal weapons for certain modes/maps.
E-liter at higher echelons and Gal/Wall was the closes we had to OP weapons across all maps/modes.

Right now it's just individuals that make certain weapons OP:

Dude Scope Gif:
OXnl5P.gif

yeah... see thats some crazy level of skill right there. No way i'd want to run into a player like that lol,

But congrats Splatoon, you did something super unique and fun while being easy to play for beginners and...judging by the GIF, something for really skilled mmo players too.

I'm in team why. I didn't play splatoon until this week because it looked boring. My friend bought it black Friday so I tried it. Played about 5 games to get a feel for the game and whatnot. I honestly hate this game. Literally nothing was interesting to me. I just don't get it.

Best multiplayer was definitely rocket league for me and best shooter...well I only played base Destiny and a bit of blops3... I do love blops3 zombies though actual multiplayer is mediocre.

The sound design in Splatoon makes me want to stab something, anything, with a very large screwdriver and I have no idea why besides maybe latent mental illness.

Anyway, not really my cup of tea from what little I played but people seem to love it.
Splatoon music and sound effects are great you probably have a terrible taste.

I might be alone but one thing I don't agree with this game is the exclusion of Off Tv Play.

It should have it.

Even if I can't use the functions of the Gamepad.

Or they could do a work-around.

Do you own Splatoon? If not, I don't think you realize what you're asking for.

The game is built around two screens. A number of specials would be completely unusable (ie ink strike), rendering a large portion of the game's weapons effectively unusable. Other major abilities (super jump) would take far longer to execute, putting you at (again) a huge disadvantage compared to other players.

These aren't features that can just be disabled or worked around--they're core aspects of the game. I'm sure that a sequel or alternate version of the game could be adjusted to work with one screen, but as it stands, this would create an extremely inconsistent experience for anyone playing without the TV.

Robotguy

Speaking of which what are some major tournies coming up besides the one Nintendo is hosting?
The next major western Splatoon tournament is Inkstorm 3. December 12th-13. Inkstorm usually has most of the top western teams and a few top teams from Japan. The other big tournament series is Booyah Battle, but I don't believe Booyah 5 has been announced yet. There are also many smaller tourneys like the Splatoon Community League biweeklies.

These are all online. There's not much in the way of local Splatoon tournaments outside of Japan at the moment.

Best Shooter I agree. Would given Multiplayer to Rocket League and Indie to Undertale.

But you know how much these award shows care all about presentation.

I don't love, love Splatoon as much as a lot of people do, but I'm so happy for its success and recognition. Sells millions of copies on a dead system and scoops up awards over established genre juggernauts like Call of Duty and Halo, I hope this sends a message to Nintendo: Don't be afraid to let younger, relatively inexperienced developers experiment with new ideas and new IP for big, important games.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
Legit awards were legit.

Kenai

I don't love shooters and Splatoon isn't my GotY, but it came close and the only shooter that I will keep playing from time to time for the foreseeable future. Which by itself is amazing.

Great game, no complaints.

ffdgh

I'm in team why. I didn't play splatoon until this week because it looked boring. My friend bought it black Friday so I tried it. Played about 5 games to get a feel for the game and whatnot. I honestly hate this game. Literally nothing was interesting to me. I just don't get it.

Best multiplayer was definitely rocket league for me and best shooter...well I only played base Destiny and a bit of blops3... I do love blops3 zombies though actual multiplayer is mediocre.

Gotta say it's going to take more than 5 matches to get a good grip of the gameplay.

Leatherface

"highly skilled competitive shooters" what does that mean anyway cause the typical shooters are ADS and shoot and whoever dies first.

Splatoon is all about outsmarting you enemy. It is not shoot everything that moves. It is about ambushing, finding alternate routes, judging distances, actually having time to make a decision, using your weapon to its advantage especially when all are so different, using your special at the right time, etc.

In fact I would say Splatoon is deceivingly deep in the skill department. Do not be fooled by it's whimsical appearance. It is a cut throat game that is easy to pick up and difficult to master. It's a game that manages to go beyond the typical conventions usually associated with an online shooter, which is what makes this so special. The fact that Splatoon stands tall and unique in a sea of copy cat shooters is a feat in itself. ;)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Is it a shooter though? News to me as I only roll people, sometimes dump paint on them with a bucket.

Neoxon

Splatoon honestly had Best Shooter in the bag due to how much it shook up the genre. Best Multiplayer in my eyes was a toss-up between this & Rocket League. Either way, I'm happy with the result.

If it weren't for Bloodborne, Splatoon would be my GotY. It's incredible and I'm so happy it's getting some recognition from the press.

Azure J

I have to admit, the reactions to that Dude gif are great. :lol

There is a lot to the game and things only get scarier
(more awesome)
the further you go.

Exile20

The Wii U bundle that I ordered should be arriving in the next few days. Looking forward to playing some Splatoon.

Join us on the Discord server to voice chat and squad up easily.

Check the link for details on downloads, rules, etc

http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=174018831

Please quote to see the Discord invitation
↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
QUOTE ME!!!
↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

Do you own Splatoon? If not, I don't think you realize what you're asking for.

The game is built around two screens. A number of specials would be completely unusable (ie ink strike), rendering a large portion of the game's weapons effectively unusable. Other major abilities (super jump) would take far longer to execute, putting you at (again) a huge disadvantage compared to other players.

These aren't features that can just be disabled or worked around--they're core aspects of the game. I'm sure that a sequel or alternate version of the game could be adjusted to work with one screen, but as it stands, this would create an extremely inconsistent experience for anyone playing without the TV.

Of course I own it and not being able to use the ink strike or warp wouldn't bother me.

A lot of the time I use neither.

It takes two lines of code to make a game Off Tv.

I understand its their vision and I respect that but I'd rather have these inconveniences and be able to play Off Tv than not being able to.

Gsnap

In fact I would say Splatoon is deceivingly deep in the skill department. Do not be fooled by it's whimsical appearance. It is a cut throat game that is easy to pick up and difficult to master. It's a game that manages to go beyond the typical conventions usually associated with an online shooter, which is what makes this so special. The fact that Splatoon stands tall and unique in a sea of copy cat shooters is a feat in itself. ;)

Honestly, it's not even deceivingly deep as much as it is obviously deep. Which is why it's such a shame to see people write the game off so easily. Just watch one video. Its depth should be apparent to anyone actually willing to think about it for more than a second, rather than immediately writing it off based on its aesthetics. Ink has several purposes and each one is significant to the flow of the match and the shape of the terrain. Killing, map control, healing, reloading, stealth, traversal. When, how, and where you shoot influences all of these aspects not just for you, but for your teammates and enemies as well. This was all apparent from the beginning when we first learned how ink worked in comparison to normal bullets.

There are other, less obvious things of course. Like how great the maps are and how the individual map elements influence things (grates, uninkable surfaces, etc.), how wide a varied the weapon selection is. And how much gear affects things.

But when you just consider how many different things the player is influencing by performing the primary act of "shooting", the depth is obvious. It's well deserving of the title "best shooter".

someday

Banned
I agree. I fell in love with this game after almost a year of playing Destiny. It was just so much fun but still got my blood boiling while playing. I curse more in Splatoon than I do in Black Ops 3 or Iron Banner. I think it deserved the awards as much as any other more traditional shooter. Free maps and monthly events are a nice bonus that keeps the game feeling alive.

Leatherface

Honestly, it's not even deceivingly deep as much as it is obviously deep. Which is why it's such a shame to see people write the game off so easily. Just watch one video. Its depth should be apparent to anyone actually willing to think about it for more than a second, rather than immediately writing it off based on its aesthetics. Ink has several purposes and each one is significant to the flow of the match and the shape of the terrain. Killing, map control, healing, reloading, stealth, traversal. When, how, and where you shoot influences all of these aspects not just for you, but for your teammates and enemies as well. This was all apparent from the beginning when we first learned how ink worked in comparison to normal bullets.

There are other, less obvious things of course. Like how great the maps are and how the individual map elements influence things (grates, uninkable surfaces, etc.), how wide a varied the weapon selection is. And how much gear affects things.

But when you just consider how many different things the player is influencing by performing the primary act of "shooting", the depth is obvious. It's well deserving of the title "best shooter".

Obvious to you maybe. Even I was skeptical about the depth until fully investing the time to play it. At first glance to a lot of people it could appear as a shallow kiddie shooter where everyone simply splashes paint on each other. I think you're right though in that most don't give it the time of day to see further than the surface aesthetics before writing it off.

I agree. I fell in love with this game after almost a year of playing Destiny. It was just so much fun but still got my blood boiling while playing. I curse more in Splatoon than I do in Black Ops 3 or Iron Banner. I think it deserved the awards as much as any other more traditional shooter. Free maps and monthly events are a nice bonus that keeps the game feeling alive.

oh man the trash I shout at my TV while playing this. I accidentally called my girl a "cunt" once in the heat of battle haha (we have two wii U's to play together).

flozuki

Please explain..
I literally laughed and turn the awards off when this was announced.

What is there to explain? It is fresh, runs smooth, has superb gameplay and one of the best boss fights in a shooter I have ever seen.

Best multiplayer you can argue about fun being perhaps the biggest REASON to win, but when you're arguing Best Shooter overall, you have to take into account everything from campaign, voice over work, story, writing, level design, art design, sound design, gun play, multiplayer modes, etc.

Splatoon comes up woefully short in these areas, especially compared to Halo 5 and Black Ops 3.

Excuse me, but what is more important than having fun when enjoying a game. Since you are mentioning campaigns, the campaign of BO3 is one of the worst things I have ever played...the story...the dialogue... I mean come on, seriously :-D And Halo unfortunately had nice cinematics, guided by levels that are either badly designed, just a shallow copy of earlier games without the good parts (I think it had 2 to 3 good missions, the rest left a lot to be desired or was plagued by copy and paste design). What is wrong with the AI? Oh, and don´t forget the missions that took 2 to 3 minutes and were counted as full missions. What a joke. MP is pretty solid though.

Nickie

Neo Member
I think it's cool to think about the fact that run, reload and crouch are all on the same button. It's little things like that I just can't help but love.
Wow, I never even realized it, but you are absolutely right!... Haha!

Fishlake

Nice to hear that it won some categories. It is the first shooter I've enjoyed in years.

I typically avoid the genera but ended up getting it because it was so different then anything else.

The final boss is amazing and I was doing him once a day as a warm up.

I had to stop playing it to focus more on my studies but I believe i was at B+ in ranked. I don't think I will be getting any higher though as I don't think i have the reaction speed to be great at it.

Hopefully the next one will have 2 player play online like Mario Kart 8. That is the one thing I really wish it had.

Great game and it offers such a neat twist to the shooting genera.

Gsnap

Obvious to you maybe, but at first glance to a lot of people it could appear as a shallow kiddie shooter where everyone simply splashes paint on each other. I think you're right though in that most don't give it the time of day to see further than the surface aesthetics before writing it off.

That's what I'm saying. People get stuck in their ways, don't pay attention, and write it off. All it takes is watching a gameplay video or two and actually paying attention to see that the game has depth.

But either way, it's nice to see Splatoon rewarded for its achievement.

I think it's cool to think about the fact that run, reload and crouch are all on the same button. It's little things like that I just can't help but love.
Wow, I never even realized it, but you are absolutely right!... Haha!

And climb and heal (well, faster healing). Low complexity with high depth. It's a beautiful thing.

Well deserved i must say.
Why is taken king there? It's just DLC, kinda like the Oscars giving out nominations too old movies because they now have a Directors cut.
Was there anything else that could take its place? In any case at least it isn't as bad as best fighting game which had two fillers; a game whose servers are being turned off and a promising alpha.

and the fact that Splatfests disable the vast majority of online MP options over the course of an entire weekend is just horrible.
While I hate to be one of those pedantic people a Splatfest lasts 24 hours*. There are 48 hours in a weekend. Also, Splatfests seem to be becoming less frequent (tomorrow will mark a 5 weeks gap between ones in America). I can understand the sentiment on being restrictive with content though. However, no restrictions can be just as bad like in UT99 where deck 16 and facing worlds felt like the only two stages most of the time (many other shooters suffer from so many maps to play but only few are ever chosen, also ghost populations in many game play modes).

*-What depends on region. America goes for 00:00-23:59 Europe goes for 18:00-17:59 both starting on Saturday.

Is it a shooter though? News to me as I only roll people, sometimes dump paint on them with a bucket.
Best painting game:
Art Academy Atelier
Pokemon Art Academy
Splatoon
erm, MS Paint?
I failed as at least one of those was 2014

Kangi

Innovative gameplay, solid design, high skill cap, constant stream of updates, a surprisingly good single player campaign, and overall, just a blast to play... when your teammates aren't driving you to drink heavily.

The brilliance of ink as a mechanic can't be overstated. There's so many things to consider when you're shooting, whether it be shooting to kill, shooting to block a path, shooting for points, shooting for map control, shooting for your own mobility, shooting to make squid paths for your team, shooting to climb up a vantage point, shooting to recover health... There's so much weight behind just hitting that button and shooting ink.

timshundo

I think you're right though in that most don't give it the time of day to see further than the surface aesthetics before writing it off.

My cousin walked into the room as I was playing it over Thanksgiving break and said "I heard this game was really stupid. Why is it so colorful? Have you even played call of duty before?" laughed and walked out.

Robotguy

Also stealth, if you move slowly enough/ use ninja squid, and accelerated health regen.

My cousin walked into the room as I was playing it over Thanksgiving break and said "I heard this game was really stupid. Why is it so colorful? Have you even played call of duty before?" laughed and walked out.

Your cousin hit the triple whammy.

That trifecta is not likely to be topped for some time.

Top Bottom