• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Blacklist (anti)hype thread | Experience All 5 Stages of Ironside Loss

FrsDvl

I really want to get this on Wii U. But since I'll be getting it mainly to play Spies Vs Mercs, I'm not sure if the Wii U would be the right system to get this on. Would I be better off getting it on PS3 or 360,where I'm guaranteed there will be a decent amount of people online, I don't know. I'm liking the Gamepad features they've shown off so far. I also really like to support Ubi on the Wii U. I suppose I could always pick it up on ps3 or 360 if the Wii U version is going to suck for playing online, since this game will probably bomb anyways....

mikeGFG

Banned
This is actually probably a better preview of Blacklist than I could ever come up with.

http://www.pcgamesn.com/hands-splinter-cell-blacklist-sort

splintercellblacklistc5.png

This is the greatest gaming preview I have ever read.

Did you ask anything about the visuals? Resolution, framerate?

Nah, I personally don't have any expectation of those things to be better, so I didn't ask about those. In fact, if I switch to WiiU, it would for the features I did ask about and I would expect, in exchange, a version that will almost certainly run worse than every other version. In the case of ubi ports (AC3) and unreal titles (arkham city), both ran worse than their 360/ps3 counterparts, and I wouldn't expect that to change now given the WiiU's sales. I didn't expect him to tell me that haha, so I just left it.

For me, it's really the appeal of being able to play spy vs mercs, and the co-op content, with a friend beside me, without split screen getting in the way. I would sacrifice the better online community and better running game for that. I have friends who will play with me if I hand them a controller, but they won't buy their own copy, not fans on that level. I reaaally want to see the co-op content this time.

Gbraga

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| we are blacklist
splinter cell \ot\ blacklist
Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| ROFL, dad!!

I think the proper conjugation is "absolved". I'll think on that one.

I actually had a list of them I think I will post when I get home tomorrow, see if any of them pan out :p

Oh, that's nice to know, thank you. It felt wrong but I didn't know what to use.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, how the hell did I think it was anything else? Jesus Christ.

Just bought it, by the way, I hope it's as dumb as the previous game. I loved playing The Bourne Conviction, great game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Feels weird to be hyped for a Splinter Cell game. I can't remember this feeling.

Me neither. My dad got me Chaos Theory a loooong time ago on Xbox and I didn't know what it was. Popped it in and to this day still in my top 10 games ever.

Skipped the 360 version of Double Agent and also Conviction. Blacklist looks awesome.

Sober

So I said I had a bunch of taglines I came up for the OT, problem is I hate most of them, but here they are. Lemme know if any of them are decent, or if you come up with a better one.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT|

• Splinter Cell Redefined
  • Stealth Action Redefined ... Again
  • Chaos Theory Modernized
  • Chaos Theory is ten dollars on Steam
  • Chaos Theory was eight years ago
  • You can have your Chaos Theory and Conviction it too!
  • An airstrike is stealthy if you mute the game sound
  • Stealth fans wanted
  • Stealth is not a nice thing
  • Stealth just ain't what it used to be (kinda already using this elsewhere)
  • Still not your grandma's stealth from back in the day
  • Warning: Contains trace amounts of stealth gameplay
  • It's about action
  • Just a different Canadian as Sam Fisher's voice
  • All Michael Ironside complaints go in here
  • Will the real Sam Fisher please stand up?
  • Just Sam Fisher, some maps and a bunch of bad guys
  • Sam Fisher is dead,(load last save)long live Sam Fisher (spacing to meet character limits)
  • The Twelve Days of Terrorist-mas
  • This isn't the Chaos Theory sequel you're looking for
  • Crouching Panther, Hidden Fisher
  • Coming out of retirement and feeling like a new man
  • Sam Fisher heeding the Call of Duty
  • *YOU* are Sam Fisher, because Michael Ironside can't be

(Yes the severe lack of taglines about SvM means ... there isn't enough hype for a separate SvM thread)

Gbraga

Chaos Theory is ten dollars on Steam
Chaos Theory was eight years ago
An airstrike is stealthy if you mute the game sound
Warning: Contains trace amounts of stealth gameplay
Sam Fisher, some maps and a bunch of bad guys

Those are pretty good imo, had a good laugh with some of them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
SC Blacklist |OT| Still has that cool sound when you turn night vision on

But i do like Crouching Panther Hidden Fisher as well!

spanks

You guys reckon it's worth waiting for the next-gen versions?
I'm thinking there might not be enough people online (for Spies vs Mercs) compared to 360/PS3.

Sober

You guys reckon it's worth waiting for the next-gen versions?
I'm thinking there might not be enough people online (for Spies vs Mercs) compared to 360/PS3.
They haven't officially announced it yet to be cross-gen (well, excluding WiiU) but it'd be silly not to have a XBONE/PS4 sku to keep the multiplayer community up or going or something. PC might work out better since it doesn't have this problem, as long as it's not P2P matchmaking or something.

They really haven't said much on how PC SvM is going to work.

Otherwise, WiiU probably looks a tad graphically meh, and the 360/PS3 (well no PS3 footage shown) looks like hot trash already whereas the PC versions will have all the fancy DX11 stuff and high-res textures, which seem to be the source of many screenshots but not videos...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SC Blacklist |OT| Stealth Action Redefined: Stealth Optional...

Go with this or SC: Blacklist |OT| Blacklisted Stealth Whitelisted Genocide

(I'm getting the PC version for free from Nvidia so I guess I shouldn't complain too much about the lack of Stealth since it isn't wasting my money for that expectation...)

Sober

Ready to write this off but after seeing the Dog and Ghost video. I'm sold
It's pretty impressive watching the AI work with the dogs and move into a different state of alert and look for you rather than bark = REMEMBER THE AIRFIELD. If just watching guards and dogs team up seem pretty good then it must be even more insane when it is multiple human guards being coordinated either by a witness or a leader to search for you, etc.

I also like how the detection arcs play with alertness, it seems a full white means they will get suspicious and search for a bit while they only start shooting when it blinks red. There seems to be more subtlety built into the system than meter = full, play ui_detected_element (it seems like the words "detected" don't appear on the UI)

Sober

Some more preview vids from Robert Cram

Panther: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alrX65NLH7U
Assault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70aQz2Im93k

It seems like all those 4 vids (the other two above) were played on Perfectionist mode (the M&E gauge is missing), so it's surprising how well he did considering how fast the AI will spot things on that difficulty or how deadly the AI/damage gets, especially even if you are geared for it.

Also it looks like no frontal takedowns in Perfectionist, at least not when the guards are fully alert (there's a moment in the assault vid where he tries and the guard breaks the grab attempt).

Looks like Assault might be decent fun, it definitely looks like it requires more movement than skirting behind the same chest high wall a bit for a better angle as you are really outnumbered and you still need to rely on your agility to get out and relocate before shootbanging again.

Some more preview vids from Robert Cram

Panther: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alrX65NLH7U
Assault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70aQz2Im93k

It seems like all those 4 vids (the other two above) were played on Perfectionist mode (the M&E gauge is missing), so it's surprising how well he did considering how fast the AI will spot things on that difficulty or how deadly the AI/damage gets, especially even if you are geared for it.

Also it looks like no frontal takedowns in Perfectionist, at least not when the guards are fully alert (there's a moment in the assault vid where he tries and the guard breaks the grab attempt).

Looks like Assault might be decent fun, it definitely looks like it requires more movement than skirting behind the same chest high wall a bit for a better angle as you are really outnumbered and you still need to rely on your agility to get out and relocate before shootbanging again.

Can't wait. Trying to do the all hunter maps on realistic achievement this week to keep me busy and even that is proving solid haha the third or 4th section of russian embassy hates my guts. Trying to play ghost style on perfectionist is going to be something else. Getting more and more excited for this as the weeks go on.

Gaz_RB

Playing through the series getting ready for this. It's fun, but going to make the Ironside replacement more jarring.

PS: Don't pick up the Splinter Cell HD collection for the PS3

Gaz_RB

How come?

It's just kinda lazy.

Chaos Theory is fine, but I've had real framerate issues on the other two. Which makes no sense. Everything else with the collection is fine with me. Lack of multiplayer is a bummer but doesn't really bother me too much.

Sober

Dunno how fast he's pumping them out but here's another one about Perfectionist difficulty.

Also shows for real you can disable some HUD elements. Waypoint looks like fair game although the guy playing it might just like it enabled. Also seems appropriately sneaky, finally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5K_UAHZkzY

Top Bottom