• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

shocky2002

Neo Member
So the doctor at the beginning was going to perform plastic surgery on Venom because he assumed he was the real BB and needed a face change to get away from people that want him dead? So, if he had gone through with that surgery, Big Boss's plan of creating a Phantom of himself would've been effectively ruined. BRAVO KOJIMA

News Bot

Banned
I actually like the idea of Big Boss as a somewhat cowardly manipulator who puts a fall guy in his place and runs things from the shadows, lying and deceiving his way through history.

I'd be a little more receptive to the idea if Big Boss was ever portrayed this way at any point in the series' history. In reality he's been portrayed as the polar opposite, right up until Ground Zeroes. But literally all of a sudden he turns into his own antithesis (Zero) for no good reason and half of his legend isn't even his.

What happened to "let's take on the fucking world" Big Boss from the end of Peace Walker? First sign of trouble and he checks right the fuck out, that's what.

packy34

So the doctor at the beginning was going to perform plastic surgery on Venom because he assumed he was the real BB and needed a face change to get away from people that want him dead? So, if he had gone through with that surgery, Big Boss's plan of creating a Phantom of himself would've been effectively ruined. BRAVO KOJIMA

I'm sure there's more to it than that. What we have now are bullet points, not fine details.

Fury451

Banned
I'd be a little more receptive to the idea if Big Boss was ever portrayed this way at any point in the series' history. In reality he's been portrayed as the polar opposite, right up until Ground Zeroes. But literally all of a sudden he turns into his own antithesis (Zero) for no good reason and half of his legend isn't even his.

What happened to "let's take on the fucking world" Big Boss from the end of Peace Walker? First sign of trouble and he checks right the fuck out, that's what.

Well, yeah, that's actually a good point. I'm not too keen on how that sounds, especially because (just having refreshed myself on GZ), he hid nukes and shredded documents- that indicates aspects of character that do seem to be suddenly dropped for what may amount to a half-hearted "good guy all along sorta" revelation, which is dumb. I kinda liked the justification for that with Ocelot, but the idea that the two most iconic bad guys in the series were retroactively good, and pinning it all on the now super villain levels of contrived evil Zero is pretty hackneyed and sentimental.

Huh, so the Ahab had a plastic surgey to look like Big Boss before the events of TPP and that controversial doctor was going to change his facae again thinking he was the real Big Boss? I didn't pay attention to the streams. If Ahab was a medic before, this must have a use for the story, he could do something like plastic suregery on himself or sth elese. Tbh, I wasn't surprised to know (get confirmation) that we play a non Big Boss, itw as hinted many times, from the 2013 trailers when Kaz said what about hima nd the camera moved back to him, and the lost arm, difefrent voice, Ishamel having Kiefer's voice etc.. so many clues at that time.

Justified

The Doctor did do the surgery, he made the medic look like Big Boss

Ralemont

not me
Well, yeah, that's actually a good point. I'm not too keen on how that sounds, especially because (just having refreshed myself on GZ), he hid nukes and shredded documents- that indicates aspects of character that do seem to be suddenly dropped for what may amount to a half-hearted "good guy all along sorta" revelation, which is dumb. I kinda liked the justification for that with Ocelot, but the idea that the two most iconic bad guys in the series were retroactively good, and pinning it all on the now super villain levels of contrived evil Zero is pretty hackneyed and sentimental.

I'm really failing to see how this ending makes Big Boss a sorta good guy all along.

shocky2002

Neo Member

Kojima had the entire plot laid out for him, but he opted to go this way because he knew he couldn't write a straight forward, compelling revenge tale with realistic human motivations. So he copped out with this instead.

You mean Big Boss and Ocelot right?

Fury451

Banned
I'm really failing to see how this ending makes Big Boss a sorta good guy all along.

Well, it's only based on what I know from this. Maybe I'm way off, but if it isn't actually him that did the Outer Heaven thing, he's been mostly a shadow man that hasn't really been the hands-on villain that he seemed? He would be more of a fringe villain in that case, while the actual "bad guy" who we thought was Big Boss was doing all of the actual dirty work.

Edit: Post below mine by News Bot greatly clarifies my initial point.

You mean Big Boss and Ocelot right?

I did, in the sense that they were more consistent driving and seen/visible forces after the end of MGS4 laid it out. But it has been awhile, I may be mistaken.

News Bot

Banned

Because all the atrocity committed in his name is never actually committed by him. His speech about being viewed as a terrorist suddenly becomes irrelevant because he's actually too afraid of living that role, but for some reason it's fine to use a twin. Just as long as he doesn't have to lift a finger all's well. Contradicting his entire character.

I wouldn't call him a good guy but he's certainly not what the entire series has built him up as either, the formation of which was the whole point of this game. His character progression no longer makes any sense and is in stark contrast to how we've already seen him.

But nope evil twin.

BlueWord

So from the leaked infos, Ahab is the one sinking to the abyss creating all this madness later than Solid Snake faced. Does that mean the Big Boss we saw dying in 2014 in MGS4 is Ahab and Not Big Boss and Big Boss is still alive ? Oh Kojima, you will neevr let Big Boss die don't you?

I assume that (2014) Big Boss was the real deal. It looks like Venom Snake is the shortcut Kojima is using to explain the pretty radical heel-turn BB makes between PW and MG1 – essentially, it wasn't the REAL Big Boss, but a fake one who did all that evil shit.

Not that the Big Boss we saw in MG2 was much better, but I think – given the insight that game gives into his motives – it's a little easier to see Naked Snake in that Big Boss.

Presumably the third ending will tie up the remaining the threads there.

vano89

Neo Member
Can I add something to the discussion here? I'm not so sure that the real BB is such a bad character after all.

Think about it: he is badly wounded after the helicopter explosion, so Zero, in name of their friendship (well they founded the Patriots together after all), saves him.
Skullface and XOF "rebellion" proves to be a great danger (he even infects Zero with the parasites...) so Ocelot, Zero and Kaz decide to "use" the medic that was on the chopper (badly wounded himself) as a body double for BB, knowing that he is the only one that has the influence to create a new army of mercenaries and fight the XOF.
He has a sort of "placebo" effect on the troups, I mean it's like having an army with Napoleon at its lead...

The real BB probably isn't so happy about it when he awakens from the coma but maybe he understands he is too important to risk his life (hell, Zero even makes sons and a clone from his DNA...) or, and I hope so, he is still in a bad shape when Phantom BB escapes from the hospital, so having a body double is the only way to have a "fighting" BB back on the field as soon as possible.

And about that pic of the real BB with Ocelot... yeah he looks healthy enough to take the place of his body double, but remember that we played at least 40 missions with Phantom BB when we discover this (it has been confirmed that you don't need to finish the game to see the "secret ending") so at least one year has passed (the dog goes from puppy to adult in this time) and you can easily imagine the risks of replacing someone after so much time!

Think about it: you create a body double of yourself and let him live your life (real life I mean) for an year, he does your job, hangs out with your friend, girlfriend and so on.. how can you imagine to know everything he did up to the single details? You can mistake a lot of things and so reveal that the guy they have been living with wasn't you in the end...

So real BB waits until Skullface and XOF are defeated to come back... but then MB gets infected and so Phantom has to kill everybody... and so becomes the "monster" that will create Outer Heaven in MG.
It's something that nobody expected and that's why real BB spares Phantom life (it would make sense to kill you body double if you plan to come back), he feels guilty for that poor medic...

It's all my idea of what could happen in the game, can't wait to see if I'm right or if BB is really a coward asshole as you guys think!

Because all the atrocity committed in his name is never actually committed by him. His speech about being viewed as a terrorist suddenly becomes irrelevant because he's actually too afraid of living that role, but for some reason it's fine to use a twin. Just as long as he doesn't have to lift a finger all's well. Contradicting his entire character.

I wouldn't call him a good guy but he's certainly not what the entire series has built him up as, the formation of which was the whole point of this game. His character progression no longer makes any sense and is in stark contrast to how we've already seen him.

But nope evil twin.

Big Boss is just the Madara/Kaguya of the video game universe:

134418906958.jpg

News Bot

Banned
It was too much for Big Boss to handle being cloned but having one of his most trusted men subjected to fall guy status through forced surgery and manipulation is fine and dandy?

vano89

Neo Member
It was too much for Big Boss to handle being cloned but having one of his most trusted men subjected to fall guy status through forced surgery and manipulation is fine and dandy?
Well he got cloned without his permit and back then he was totally fine, I mean he wasn't dying.
The body double thing is different: he was badly injured and XOF/Skullface are an immediate threat so I can understand why he accepted

So this is another MGS2 scenario, you leave the main character after playing with him for a short time in GZ (the short time we play Solid Snake in Tanker chapter in MGS2) then it is revealed that we play another fake Snake here in TPP (Plant chapter in MGS2, Raiden is first referred as Snake). So all people at MGS2 time were ranting about such change and felt kinda betrayed for not playing the iconic charismatic character but instead a new rookie. Will you do the same now after knowing you won't be playing Big Boss in TPP? Or you can forgive Ahab since he will turn into the charismatic Big Boss all of us knew (or believed he was)?

Justified

So from the leaked infos, Ahab is the one sinking to the abyss creating all this madness later than Solid Snake faced. Does that mean the Big Boss we saw dying in 2014 in MGS4 is Ahab and Not Big Boss and Big Boss is still alive ? Oh Kojima, you will neevr let Big Boss die don't you?

I think Venom aka Phantom Snake was the one who build Outer Haven, and is kill in MG1.

Afterward Punished aka Conniving Snake fled to Zanziba Land with FOXHOUND, and the know timeline continues from there.

webrunner

if you think about it, they couldn't do a MGS2 style twist of a completely different character because people would stream it immediately, you couldn't take a screenshot of the game without spoiling it.

this way they get an MGS2 style twist without it being a VISUAL spoiler

if you think about it, they couldn't do a MGS2 style twist of a completely different character because people would stream it immediately, you couldn't take a screenshot of the game without spoiling it.

Yep good point ans smart idea from Kojima.

News Bot

Banned
Well he got cloned without his permit and back then he was totally fine, I mean he wasn't dying.
The body double thing is different: he was badly injured and XOF/Skullface are an immediate threat so I can understand why he accepted

They're an immediate threat but he lies beside his own body double for nine years and ends up getting caught in an XOF attack anyway?

Come on dawg.

cerulily

I don't really see why people find the body double part that BAD. There are real life precedents for such a thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_decoy

Although i'm trying to not read most of the other spoilers, this one I find actually intriguing, as I like the idea that Big Boss was only the soldier we know him to be due to circumstance, and not through some genetic determinism. (and human perseverance and agency against genetic determinism is a theme that runs through most of the series)

BlueWord

Honestly, it seems kind of lame that Kojima would go for the same trick a second time. That said, I think it can be excused if it ultimately serves the themes of the story, and isn't simply a surprise for the sake of itself.

As many in this thread have said, it does pose some interesting questions. Seeking revenge for a crime you believe to have been committed against you, only to discover that those memories belong to someone else? It seems like a reflection on the motives of soldiers in general, who are generally neither the direct victim of the initial action nor the beneficiaries of the conflict in which they serve.

EVH

This is obviously the biggest and last kojima touch to the series.

Not sure what to think about it, but being the real Big Boss just a man on the shadows for what is supossed to be the biggest title of the series and the main game for the character, I'm confused. And I'm just wondering why, because I cannot think about anything else that to justify these crappy 20 last minutes in MGS4.

vano89

Neo Member
They're an immediate threat but he lies beside his own body double for nine years and ends up getting caught in an XOF attack anyway?

Come on dawg.
That's why I think that the real BB is not in full shape when he saves Phantom... he's still injured and can't simply leave the place...
Or maybe he is there to protect Phantom, knowing how important he is for the plan... but if that's the case why Zero didn't inform him of Quiet coming to "activate" his body double by trying to kill him?
Sounds strange... maybe Quiet was going to actually kill Phantom thinking he was the real BB, so are we sure she is a Zero agent after all?

See? Even if we know the big secret of the game there are still a lot of stuff to discover!

News Bot

Banned
I don't really see why people find the body double part that BAD. There are real life precedents for such a thing https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_decoy

Although i'm trying to not read most of the other spoilers, this one I find actually intriguing, as I like the idea that Big Boss was only the soldier we know him to be due to circumstance, and not through some genetic determinism. (and human perseverance and agency against genetic determinism is a theme that runs through most of the series)

Probably because the circumstances are ridiculous, it contradicts the character and it contradicts the entire series lore.

Big Boss was a legendary soldier through genetic determinism due to his soldier genes. Kojima just can't ever make up his mind whether he wants genes to be a factor in someone's life or not, he's been stumbling around on the subject since MGS1. The truth is that genes are a major factor in someone's life, they are the very building blocks of life itself. The point MGS2 and the end of MGS1 make is that genes don't determine how someone lives their life, which is true.

Venom Snake being a perfect double of Big Boss is completely implausible. So he's a lookalike? Okay, chances are very slim but not impossible. So he sounds just like him? Even slimmer chances of that. So he's got the exact same skills and mannerisms despite being nothing but a field medic prior to being in a 9 year coma? Even slimmer. So he's got soldier genes too? Nope. It's utterly contrived and far too convenient to be good writing. It's nothing more than a cop-out because Kojima has become too attached to the idealized version of Big Boss he's cultivated. He's become Big Boss: afraid to take risks despite all the talk.

That's why I think that the real BB is not in full shape when he saves Phantom... he's still injured and can't simply leave the place...
Or maybe he is there to protect Phantom, knowing how important he is for the plan... but if that's the case why Zero didn't inform him of Quiet coming to "activate" his body double by trying to kill him?
Sounds strange... maybe Quiet was going to actually kill Phantom thinking he was the real BB, so are we sure she is a Zero agent after all?

See? Even if we know the big secret of the game there are still a lot of stuff to discover!

Does it really matter if all you're discovering is dog shit?

This is obviously the biggest and last kojima touch to the series.

Not sure what to think about it, but being the real Big Boss just a man on the shadows for what is supossed to be the biggest title of the series and the main game for the character, I'm confused. And I'm just wondering why, because I cannot think about anything else that to justify these crappy 20 last minutes in MGS4.

Big Boss just proved to be more a politician than a legendary soldier. It doesn't make him look any smaller or worse, on the contrary, it just adds to his image of the legendary influential leader, and now he is the leader of the leaders: The supreme Boss who controls Big Boss himself.

What really pisses me off is that the medic in Ground Zeroes just happens to sound exactly like the same person they then choose to be a body double for a few years later, and is right next to them at the precise moment they are needed.

vano89

Neo Member
Does it really matter if all you're discovering is dog shit?
Yes, because IMO the whole idea of a body double is not so bad as you think, doesn't go against the main motif of the whole series...

As cerulily said BB has become an hero because of circumstances, not for some "genetic destiny"...
Solid Snake was supposed to be inferior to Liquid but won against him, Big Boss was a trainee of The Boss but managed to kill her, Solidus was the exact copy of BB himself but got killed by Raiden, a former child soldier who got simply trained.
So if you see things this way an anonymous soldier that takes the place of BB, the legend himself, simply is the last proof that you can "become whoever you want" sort of thing, there is no predestination!

News Bot

Banned
What really pisses me off is that the medic in Ground Zeroes just happens to sound exactly like the same person they then choose to be a body double for a few years later, and is right next to them at the precise moment they are needed.

This is how you can easily tell that Kojima conjured the body double plot first and then wrote everything else around it. It's hard to write a story that doesn't rely on rampant contrivances and conveniences when you're dead-set on implementing a shitty idea at any cost because you think it's ground-breaking.

Yes, because IMO the whole idea of a body double is not so bad as you think, doesn't go against the main motif of the whole series...

As cerulily said BB has become an hero because of circumstances, not for some "genetic destiny"...
Solid Snake was supposed to be inferior to Liquid but won against him, Big Boss was a trainee of The Boss but managed to kill her, Solidus was the exact copy of BB himself but got killed by Raiden, a former child soldier who got simply trained.
So if you see things this way an anonymous soldier that takes the place of BB, the legend himself, simply is the last proof that you can "become whoever you want" sort of thing, there is no predestination!

No, it is just as bad as I think. Your example is barely a comparison.

Solid Snake, Big Boss and Raiden were never "anonymous soldiers." They were specifically groomed for combat. They won because, surprise, genes aren't status buffs. Venom Snake was groomed for stitching people up. You CANNOT "become whoever you want", this was never the point of any of the stories. Could the medic become a legendary soldier? Sure, he could, but it would require much, much, much, much more than what the game depicts--- where he's a medic right up until going into a nine year coma, losing most of his memory, but when he wakes up he's immediately Big Boss? There is no logic here at all.

EVH

Let's not assume that the real Kojima is actually the boss of Konami and that he is firing his double then.

Erigu

Trying not to read every single post until I have the game, but it looks like I called most of the big twist over two years ago, then?

1) In the scene where Big Boss is said to be in a coma, Kaz's "what about him?" hints at a third (unseen) wounded man being present.
2) We're seeing that scene from the third man's point of view. And when Punished Snake then wakes up (nine years later, apparently), we're seeing things from his perspective. Third man = Punished Snake?
3) Punished Snake has a piece of shrapnel in his skull. It's already there when the hospital is under attack (you can see it under the bandage). There's no piece of shrapnel in Big Boss's skull when he falls into a coma.
4) Punished Snake somehow still has his head bandaged after nine years of coma. Maybe that's from a wound sustained during the attack of the hospital (and that may also explain the sudden piece of shrapnel, but would the staff really have the time to deal with something like that in those circumstances?). Maybe that's from some other, recent procedure.
5) When the hospital is under attack, Punished Snake is helped by a mysterious man who calls himself "Ishmael". "Ishmael"' seems to have the same voice as Punished Snake (Kiefer Sutherland), his face is completely hidden by a bandage, he says at one point "I" but immediately corrects to "we", he points to Punished Snake when he's asked who he is, and he doesn't seem willing to offer much needed physical help. A theory is that "Ishmael" is a figment of Punished Snake's imagination. Could be because of that piece of shrapnel, could be because of that Psycho Mantis-looking boy, could be because Punished Snake has identity issues.
6) Kojima might be trying to reference Metal Gear Solid's Fox Hound members once again (after the BB Corps in Metal Gear Solid 4). Eli most likely is Liquid Snake. Ocelot obviously is Revolver Ocelot. Quiet is a female sniper like Sniper Wolf. Code Talker seems to be a native American shaman like Vulcan Raven. The floating boy with the gasmask might be a younger Psycho Mantis. All that's left is Decoy Octopus. Maybe Skull Face is filling that spot. Maybe Punished Snake is a Big Boss decoy.
You seem to be suggesting that the horn means that the fellow in Afghanistan can't possibly be Big Boss
No, I'm just saying there are good reasons to suspect a switcheroo, there.

Do you think that the real Big Boss is still in a coma in 1984
How would I know? Could be in a coma, could be in hiding for some reason...

and this new guy is going around pretending to have just woken up?
I don't think he would be pretending. I think he would have to actually believe he's Big Boss. And that might just have something to do with this possibly imaginary "Ishmael" guy.

Why did the instigators of this plan to make a Big Boss body double wait nine full years to put the plan into action?
Depends on what that they'd be trying to accomplish, how difficult it would be to turn another guy into a Big Boss double...

[And boy, if you think the double theory is ridiculously far-fetched, I may have far worse right here: what if Kojima is actually *gasp* planning ahead a tiny bit, there? I know, I know. I don't quite think that's likely, myself.
At some point down the road, Big Boss will have to be both back in the States as the Fox Hound commander and at the head of Outer Heaven. And I guess a second Big Boss might actually come in handy, there...]
There was no Fight Club-esque twist regarding Ishmael: he was very much there and not just a hallucination, but aside from that...

Guess Kojima should have been more careful with his trailers... Just getting rid of that "what about him?" line would have helped a lot, I think.

cerulily

Probably because the circumstances are ridiculous, it contradicts the character and it contradicts the entire series lore.

Big Boss was a legendary soldier through genetic determinism due to his soldier genes. Kojima just can't ever make up his mind whether he wants genes to be a factor in someone's life or not, he's been stumbling around on the subject since MGS1. The truth is that genes are a major factor in someone's life, they are the very building blocks of life itself. The point MGS2 and the end of MGS1 make is that genes don't determine how someone lives their life, which is true.

Venom Snake being a perfect double of Big Boss is completely implausible. So he's a lookalike? Okay, chances are very slim but not impossible. So he sounds just like him? Even slimmer chances of that. So he's got the exact same skills and mannerisms despite being nothing but a field medic prior to being in a 9 year coma? Even slimmer. So he's got soldier genes too? Nope. It's utterly contrived and far too convenient to be good writing. It's nothing more than a cop-out because Kojima has become too attached to the idealized version of Big Boss he's cultivated. He's become Big Boss: afraid to take risks despite all the talk.

While I don't really think your last paragraph substantiates anything really (as I provided a link, doubles have been used for hundreds of years, and are usually fine in real life (so why is it implausible for a game?)

Secondly, "Big Boss was a legendary soldier through genetic determinism due to his soldier genes. " Is just plain wrong. This is never substantiated in MGS3 at all. Big Boss was the right man at the right time, that is all. Only Solid and Liquid in MGS1 addressed this factor, and the entire twist of that game was that Snake was the inferior clone, but through force of will overcame the determinism of Big Bosses supposed "perfect soldier genes". The entire point being that human will and agency can overcome fate.

I find it funny how we found out in Neogaf that this hospital scene takes place In Cyprus and that was 2 years ago thanks to electricity sockets in the game. Praise the gaffers. XD

KOMANI

KOMANI
I like this. Is there a Xbox One version?
there is. I got mine off the reddit version off the neogaf thread.... Then tinkered around with it. If you want me to adjust one for you, let me know. But I'm going to warn you, I want to include the whole Shinkawa illustration, because the one above cuts the whole right side of the drawing .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom