• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

tmtyf

Anybody try just standing in the corner after answering the phone? Iono can't play since spouse sleeping and ps4 in room :(

Lot's of stuff changes between the tape/real world so I don't think the logo stands out.

Regardless of it not being there in the past, its a logo with a very clear symbol and name written in duct tape, which isn't used elsewhere. Honestly it could just be a clue to where you find the lock pick, but it certainly stands out against everything else. No wear or tear or makrs on it like everything else in the kitchen, the logo and company name clear on a bit of duct tape, rather vibrant yellow symbol on it.

Especially being as the company its advertising is also on the splash screen/credits. Remember, P.T did something very similar with "1137" and Trees. Not like i'm saying this is the exact same, but there certainly is precedent.

When you're watching the video tape, in the kitchen, behind the sink/microwave area is a lock pick. You can use the lock pick on a drawer on the other side of the table in the kitchen. That unlocks the Axe for you in the present day.

This is about as far as we've gotten.

Hey thanks.

Spoo

I can't believe Resident Evil finally trumped Silent Hill in puzzle difficulty

I so proud

Assuming that there is more to be found (that is significant, like a new area or ending), I think it stands to reason that in a post PT world, whatever someone tries to do next in the style of PT is going to be more mechanically obtuse and weird. Because, they know we've seen this kind of "thing" before, and they have some idea of how long it took us to deal with PT, which was much faster than Kojima et. al., expected.

Boke1879

I feel like we're all missing something incredibly obvious.

But it's hard to assume that when you have tons of people playing it and just as many people discussing it. You would think by now someone would have brute forced their way through it. Or you never know. There probably isn't shit else to do with the axe or the finger.

According to someone on reddit:

"nokarmawhore 3 points 8 minutes ago
Has anyone gone back and forth between time trying to get the camera man upstairs?
Get the fuse and insert it into the fuse box
Get the wire cutters, get the tape then go upstairs and drop down the 3rd floor stairs
Play the tape
Get the lockpick and unlock the drawer
Stop the tape, get the axe and play the tape again
Suddenly the stairs are dropped down during tape gameplay?...
Just my crazy theory. Wish I could try this out!"

But it's hard to assume that when you have tons of people playing it and just as many people discussing it. You would think by now someone would have brute forced their way through it. Or you never know. There probably isn't shit else to do with the axe or the finger.

At this point I think we can only proceed by playing RE 4, 5 and 6 on the PS4...then changing the date on the PS4.. then speaking to "dad" before he grabs you using a ps4 mic.. then maybe something changes ....

Spoo

Has anyone gone back and forth between time trying to get the camera man upstairs?
Get the wire cutters, get the tape then go upstairs and drop down the 3rd floor stairs
Play the tape

This wouldn't make a lot of sense. The lowering of the attic stairs takes place in the future from when the tape is recorded, so unless of course we're dealing with some rift in time shit it wouldn't matter.

Also, stopping the tape completely reverts the tape to back at the beginning of the sequence. So if that does play into the solution, it'll be actual fucking hell testing things because of how much time that dialogue takes.

On a German Resident Evil Facebook page they keep insisting us to look carefully at the umbrella helicopter picture when people ask them about the axe or finger ...
I wonder if there's a way to look up and see a helicopter outside in the VHS after viewing the photo? I'm not sure what that would achieve, but it could be a [far fetched] beginning to a series of events.

Intestine, Bowels, Guts. Seems to be a general term.
No, I know what an intestine is. I'm just wondering if it's referring to the cows in the hall leading to the backdoor.

Play the tape

Nope , I am sure I have manipulated this and nothing changes in the video ....

I wonder if there's a way to look up and see a helicopter outside in the VHS after viewing the photo? I'm not sure what that would achieve, but it could be a [far fetched] beginning to a series of events.

I gave that a try, even cranked my sound up to see if i could hear a helicopter and nothing. Waiting a good while too.

I feel like I'm even behind everyone else... I am still messing around on a third time, and I'm looking through every nook and I still haven't found a fuse...or gotten up to an attic that I've seen people mention...I still haven't seen this helicopter picture or phone. What am I missing...

Play the tape
I tried something like that earlier, it didn't work. The fuse isn't there in the tape version, and the stairs aren't down.

This wouldn't make a lot of sense. The lowering of the attic stairs takes place in the future from when the tape is recorded, so unless of course we're dealing with some rift in time shit it wouldn't matter.

Also, stopping the tape completely reverts the tape to back at the beginning of the sequence. So if that does play into the solution, it'll be actual fucking hell testing things because of how much time that dialogue takes.

Well the new theory is that you have the power to manipulate the video because the phone call clues you receive ....

I feel like I'm even behind everyone else... I am still messing around on a third time, and I'm looking through every nook and I still haven't found a fuse...or gotten up to an attic that I've seen people mention...I still haven't seen this helicopter picture or phone. What am I missing...

You've seen the end of the VHS tape? At the start of a new cycle, open the secret passage yourself, before watching the tape and you'll find the next bit from there.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
Once my roommate gets off the PS4 I'm going to play with headphones.... I think I'm missing some sound cues

When you start a new run activate the secret switch in the fireplace before going into the VHS World

You've seen the end of the VHS tape? At the start of a new cycle, open the secret passage yourself, before watching the tape and you'll find the next bit from there.

I actually tried opening the passage before watching the tape on my second play through, and it didn't let me until after I watched the tape again...

Darn. Thanks for letting me know, I won't bother to pitch a tent out there now.

I mean, you never know. Maybe it requires a really specific point of the demo for it to trigger anything, but i spent quite a while exploring this theory.

I actually tried opening the passage before watching the tape on my second play through, and it didn't let me until after I watched the tape again...

It will, you just have to stare right at the handle. The prompt is a little finicky. Though, not in the VHS, they other fellow with you always has to interact with it there.

Under the fireplace

Kinsei

Banned
You guys ever get a "Stoning" message. I got that at the end of the table in the room with the TV.

Yeah. It's on the table in the middle of the room and then it gets put in front of you when you finish the tape. It's clearly a reference to PSLAM 137:9 but what it has to do with solving the riddle is anyone's guess.

gafneo

Banned
How'd you not get caught after answering the phone?

I make sure that I activate the manikin that appears behind you once you turn around from entering the top of the stairs. Now look at the 3 manikins to the left. They are turned away, now look again. They are looking at you now. Now get the phone to ring and come back. Answer it and duck away from the manikins. Also helps if you kill some with the axe. The 3 can't be killed though. Stay down and you will make it. If you hang around wondering aimlessly, the fam guy catches you. There is room to breath if you can figure out the next step.

Tain

I had the opposite experience. Opened it immediately. It doesn't show the prompt until you're pretty close, though.

Astral Dog

I make sure that I activate the manikin that appears behind you once you turn around from entering the top of the stairs. Now look at the 3 manikins to the left. They are turned away, now look again. They are looking at you now. Now get the phone to ring and come back. Answer it and duck away from the manikins. Also helps if you kill some with the axe. The 3 can't be killed though. Stay down and you will make it. If you hang around wondering aimlessly, the fam guy catches you. There is room to breath if you can figure out the next step.

what happens if he doesnt catch you?

Top Bottom