• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

Certainly if a show airs that's blatantly unfinished it's not going to give your studio a good reputation, which is fair. I just think people should remember that it's not necessarily the case that the people making the show wanted that to happen. See also: BD fixes.
It's not even that the show is unfinished, it's that its production is built in such a way that it's frustratingly off kilter in a blatant way. There's plenty of shows that barely look like they're animated, or ones that look like they're animated in a way that are meant to peak at their climaxes, but looking at the dissonance between Rolling Girls huge bombastic sequences and the pitiful scenes Jarmel posted is another level. I could be speaking out of turn here, but it appears to be neglectful. They trade what could be decent character animation and serviceable action scenes to instead have these big showy gif-able cuts.

I'm sure not every person working on the show wanted it to turn out this way, but looking at Studio WITs building MO (and other shows/studios recently that have adopted this in a big way), its a worrying trend.

I dunno, i guess it's no different than a show front loading its budget. It's just aggravating when there's clearly great talent being utilized.

I tried saying it ealier, but most of the complaining about it is way overblown. I'm not saying the last episode didn't have issues. There were about 4-5 parts where it was clearly unfinished. But we're talking about brief 1 - 3 second cuts in the first place. The other 98% of the episode looked great. When you starting comparing it to stuff like Wizard Barristers (spoilers), then just...no.
Didn't see you post this. Yeah, I haven't watched RGs myself, so I'm only taking what anecdotal evidence others have.

Cornbread78

YUKI YUNA IS A HERO:1-12

Cajun, you've done it again. I can't believe I just finished a series about a bunch of little "Magic Girls!" Dammit, my man card is now gone forever into the abyss, I must now walk on some burning coals and drink a 12 rack tonight.

In the end, I'm glad I stuck it out through the final episode since this series was the polor opposite of Madoka in terms of story execution, tone, and world. Yuki Yuna is a Hero had a good story, very likeable characters, and "God bless" that ending, seriously... Amazing, just wow...
Now I have to go back a couple pages and pick from the new recommendations to watch on Crunchy. I must say, the 48 hour guest pass has been great and really shows how good the streaming can be without commercials interupting the stream, and/or crashing it during play several times, having to watch those same commercials over and over again to finally start watching the show again.

Yona for sure, but I'll have to look up at those other save the princess types with a god love story built in as well.

Baalzebup

The time for all kinds of endings, huh.

Shirobako 24

This was a bit more of a coasting episode, since the major issue was taken care of on the last one. The Initial D part was good lulz, having Ema also shedding some tears for Zuka had some feels to it and Aois speech, while a bit too much, worked okay.

The series as a whole, was really enjoyable. Also, funny story, did ya'll notice who the cameraman for the picture of the whole crew was? :p

Aldnoah Zero 24

That was... average? Tied up the loose ends and had a decent duel between the two leads. It didn't commit any real ending atrocities, but didn't do anything more than a basic wrap up.

Log Horizon S2 25

And this here, while a cliffhanger ending due to running out of material to cover, was a better ending. Some patented Shiro-awesome, some comedy, found out about Krusty. I guess now we'll wait 5 years for the next season or something.

... I guess it's time to get some more Bloodborne done and then return to the glory of Cross Ange.

Moving over my post from the old OT.

Fairy Tail - 226 (Omake)
37vvdD1.jpg

Thank f*ckin god this filler arc is over. Next week starts a new arc. New opening too. Tackey & Tsubasa better not mess this up.

Jarmel

Banned
For someone to say that most of RG 12 looked great, must have super low standards. The rest of the episode was barely passable, and I'm being generous.

Cornbread78

The time for all kinds of endings, huh.

Log Horizon S2 25

And this here, while a cliffhanger ending due to running out of material to cover, was a better ending. Some patented Shiro-awesome, some comedy, found out about Krusty. I guess now we'll wait 5 years for the next season or something.

... I guess it's time to get some more Bloodborne done and then return to the glory of Cross Ange.

My Knight, The last few episodes are pretty good for Cross Ange; do not be afraid.

Also, they better hurry up with all the LH crap, that show is awesome. We need a console game based on it with online MMO gameplay. Non Cannon storyline if needed. I mean, with all the classes, abilities, special moves and that world..... They can make it work really easily. Base it on Akihibara, and everyone can buy their own home there anddecorate it ala. the WKC Geonet. The guild hall would work the same as a meeting place for members of that guild with a common room to work together with other guilds for raids, Like a living "LFG" area. They would just need to make the raids doable within 2 hours like the way Destiny has them set up to allwo more people to try them out. That "common area" could also work like PS home as well... such potential, but alas, I digress, that would just be too much awesome in one game...

Off to die more in Type-0...

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Cannot wait for Fate/stay night!

Best anime of 2014, looking to continue the tradition in 2015.

HYPE

It's not even that the show is unfinished, it's that its production is built in such a way that it's frustratingly off kilter in a blatant way. There's plenty of shows that barely look like they're animated, or ones that look like they're animated in a way that are meant to peak at their climaxes, but looking at the dissonance between Rolling Girls huge bombastic sequences and the pitiful scenes Jarmel posted is another level. I could be speaking out of turn here, but it appears to be neglectful. They trade what could be decent character animation and serviceable action scenes to instead have these big showy gif-able cuts.

I don't think that if Rolling Girls had not gotten strong animators to animate the nice looking cuts it had, it would magically look fine throughout. The rushed schedule would still be there, they just would have gotten weaker animators to get through stuff and the show would have looked worse throughout. Maybe if they had made it a show of stills and talking heads, they could have made consistently decent looking character art, but that wouldn't have genuinely improved the show.

Overall, I'm sure the production team had a certain standard starting out, but once they got behind they couldn't get themselves back out and they had to increasingly cut corners just to get the work out there on time. The only solution would have been to delay the show, which in an ideal world would have happened. The problem there is that production committees generally want to see a return on their investment as soon as possible, and so delays are difficult to come by unless you get unusually understanding and compliant producers (as was obviously the case for Mushishi, for example). The anime industry has been one of cutting corners all the way back to Osamu Tezuka. I'd like to see that change, of course, but I don't know how it could be done without the whole system collapsing.

Quasar

So this weeks episode of ANNcast and its low price on Amazon ($10) got me to buy the new 3rd Edition of The Anime Encyclopedia. Even if the opinionated style kind of rubs me the wrong way with respect to encyclopedias.

I must say I'm not entirely happy with it from my brief look. What seems to be missing entries is one issue (no entry for Kimi ni Todoke for instance), but that might be part of a naming issue and that its there I just don't know what name to look for. As the forward notes they use the most well known/official western versions of names so I'm frequently having trouble finding things as I'm frequently used to common westernised names on the internet rather than official western names.

The other issue is I think the kindle format. There is no full index of entries just a link for each letter in the TOC, and the search inside the kindle app seems totally useless - probably due to the size of the tome - supposedly over a million words so doing a title search takes forever. So if i want to find a title, the only real way is to select the starting letter and then page through till I get to the entry I want. I guess what would have been better was some dedicated app. That way they could include art and maybe video too.

In any case, I'd be a bit more annoyed if I had forked out for the hardcover version. And I'm a bit more reticent to encourage my local library to order a copy. Which is disappointing as I'd like to support all the hard work that would have gone into such a massive project.

cajunator

Banned
Rolling Girls END

The only thing remotely good about this ending was the fact that squidgirl actually went home instead of that typical cop-out where the alien girl chooses to stay. Why exactly ma-chan and the tough chick kept their powers isn't even explained its just they needed their powers at that moment so they had them.

Fuck this show. If it had just been about super-powered girls and guy beating the crap out of each other and trying to steal land and stuff it would have been better.

So if it was like Kill la Kill?

sonicmj1

Aldnoah Zero END

An ending hadn't made me feel like I completely wasted my time watching a show since Mine Fujiko. And now I feel like I completely wasted my damn time. Everything is closed and resolved, but nothing meaningful occurs. The completely inconsequential nature of the final space battle is an apt metaphor for the vacuous, empty turmoil of this show's plot.

Maybe I owe Urobuchi Gen an apology, because while his writing has its flaws, failures like this show that he's clearly better than most other writers working in this industry.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Samurai Flamenco 1 - 3

Holy shit this series is fun. Flamenco is a sincere dude despite how weird his ideals are. I'm glad Red Axe came into the picture looks like he's finally gonna learn to be able to hold his own in a fight because I can totally see him getting his ass kicked so easily could get boring.

Also the OP and ED are top notch.

I think my shit streak is finally coming to an end.

Aldnoah Zero END

An ending hadn't made me feel like I completely wasted my time watching a show since Mine Fujiko. And now I feel like I completely wasted my damn time. Everything is closed and resolved, but nothing meaningful occurs. The completely inconsequential nature of the final space battle is an apt metaphor for the vacuous, empty turmoil of this show's plot.

Maybe I owe Urobuchi Gen an apology, because while his writing has its flaws, failures like this show that he's clearly better than most other writers working in this industry.

The episodes he wrote were the only time this show wasn't a trainwreck.

Samurai Flamenco 1 - 3

Holy shit this series is fun. Flamenco is a sincere dude despite how weird his ideals are. I'm glad Red Axe came into the picture looks like he's finally gonna learn to be able to hold his own in a fight because I can totally see him getting his ass kicked so easily could get boring.

Also the OP and ED are top notch.

I think my shit streak is finally coming to an end.

Your joyful innocence amuses me. Please, continue.

cajunator

Banned
I'm surprisingly hyped for this:

This was my childhood right here. Damn. Can't believe they gonna make a new story with the old cast.

Also gonna watch the second season of Daiya no Ace, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Oregairu, Owari no Seraph and Shokugeki no Souma. This looks like one of the best seasons for me so far with a healthy mix of Shounen, Comedy, Slice of Life and Romance. :D

is that the cencoroll character designer?

Hell yes it is! This already nearly killed me.

Jesus christ this is adorable as fuck I can't wait

I knowwwwww!
I have been squeeing about it since it was announced. I want figurines of them.
this show will hit my wallet hard.

Moaradin

An unexpectedly awesome part of Ping Pong was the use of Mandarin for certain characters. That's something that will, unfortunately, probably be lost in the dub, despite it sounding alright.

It shouldn't be too hard to get someone who speaks Mandarin and English here. I wish they would go that route.

Mitch

Banned
Durarara x2 - 12

SURE I CAN WAIT UNTIL JULY....

Watching Sloan and Varona get their asses handed to them was very entertaining.

This season... hmm. Well, Kyoukai no Rinne is a must-watch of course, it's Rumiko Takahashi. I'll also defintiely watch Romantic Comedy Snafu S2, the first season had some good episodes (and some bad, but more good). Also I'm definitely going to watch Yamada and the Seven Witches, it's a pretty good manga.

For bad harem-action, Dungeon no Deai should be that, and there's also more High School DxD.

Otherwise... Nanoha ViVid... maybe? If it's good. Oh, and Houkago no Pleiades is getting a TV series? That's random... might watch, the OVA from several years back was decent.

Full Spring Schedule

Full? But neither the Winter nor Spring schedules mention the existence of the Saki Achiga-hen OVA which released earlier this month. Not quite full. :p

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Log Horizon S2 End

Well I guess everything was wrapped up nicely. Shiroe is one of the few anime characters to choose the third way in this all or nothing situation and it worked.
Crusty carrying around that mutilated arm is unnerving.

From what I hear, there isn't enough material for a third season so I guess it will be a while before everyone goes back to living in the database.

WonderzL

Banned
WAIT what happened to Lupin ;______;

Edit: BTW, only watching Ore Monogatari because it's from the same people from Chihayafuru so that'll be exactly what I like probably. The rest I'll wait for impressions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sword Art Online Ii Episode 1:

Well, that was a pile of boring and stupid from one of the most blatant Gary Stu characters ever conceived, this show has not lost one beat in that regard.

Cornbread78

Sword Art Online Ii Episode 1:

Well, that was a pile of boring and stupid from one of the most blatant Gary Stu characters ever conceived, this show has not lost one beat in that regard.

Lol, season 1 is definitely better, but season 2 has some really good moments, especially arc#2/3

wonzo

Banned
VOTOMS 38-41

votoms41.jpg

feels p. good to be out of recap jigoku and be thrown into the space tatooine/fotns final stretch

rip in piss ypsilon

cj_iwakura

Mononoke 06, Faceless Monster - Act 1

This show reminds me a lot of Serial Experiments Lain. Visually striking and very thought-provoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom