• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Exactly that kind of thing. I'm certainly not going to put on my nerd hat and declare which works are obscure enough to be considered overlooked but it would be stuff like:

- Toward The Terra

So is that actually good? This is like the first time I've heard positive things about it.

Aldnoah.Zero - 24

Dude the ending sucked. Slaine just gave up, I expected him to rally the remaining Vers forces (those who just wanted to fuck up Earth, as was stated by the new Cruhteo dude) and continue the assault.

Edit: Honestly, A/Z should be renamed to "Fuck Slaine." I can't even see a general cliche moral theme to this show.

JCG

So is that actually good? This is like the first time I've heard positive things about it.

The manga is a dated but very influential classic. In short, Toward the Terra is pulp sci-fi done quite well and with obvious shoujo sensibilities.

The TV series is very good and expands on certain characters. I especially liked how both versions included a quasi-generational aspect to the story.

Aldnoah Zero 24 END

I almost thought they were going for a Zero Requiem ending where it was all a big facade and Slaine failed and gave up on purpose so they could have peace.
They even played chess

I can clearly see where you'd get that impression, but It would have felt out of place here, especially for someone like Slaine. The guy was capable of backstabbing and lying, but just doesn't have enough stage presence for villainy on such a scale. Plus he was already serious about climbing up the political ladder, which is more of a Suzaku-style attitude. And it would have meant less suffering for him too, which is something A/Z cannot allow.

cHinzo

I'm surprisingly hyped for this:
itPw3ii.jpg

This was my childhood right here. Damn. Can't believe they gonna make a new story with the old cast.

Also gonna watch the second season of Daiya no Ace, Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works, Oregairu, Owari no Seraph and Shokugeki no Souma. This looks like one of the best seasons for me so far with a healthy mix of Shounen, Comedy, Slice of Life and Romance. :D

Without a doubt, that's a loss. Hell we had a finale in Death Parade that consisted of
a person committing suicide because they lost their unique 'characteristic'.
Ed is considered a prodigy and has spent most of his life delving into alchemy for multiple reasons. It's very much a part of who he is as a person. Even after the finale he's still extremely interested in alchemy and is traveling to other countries to expand his knowledge. Truth says Ed at the finale "Will you degrade yourself to being a normal person?" This was very much a loss for him.

The whole thing was a riddle and Ed found the correct answer. Yes at the beginning, he would have probably traded his arms or his legs. In chapter 28, he says, "Whether it's my arms or my legs. I can even give you my heart". He didn't even consider trading his alchemic gate. All the human transmutation alchemists were focused on using alchemy to tread on 'God's territory' and Ed was the first person to figure out that the solution isn't more knowledge or power. Ed realizes that he doesn't need to depend on alchemy and that even with his dependency he still couldn't do all the things he wanted such as saving Nina, so he trades it away. At the end, Truth says, "That is the correct answer alchemist".

There's a difference between something being resolved off-screen and not resolved at all. If you introduce a plot point, then you should resolve it in some fashion. That's just basic economy of storytelling. Now if the storyteller doesn't want to include extra information in a finale because it would hurt pacing, that's a separate issue. Also if your character arcs are unfinished, then you somewhat fucked up with the setting and staging of your story. There might be more for them to learn or grow but there should be clear development on their part.

What? This is almost completely asinine. The whole point of a conclusion is closure. 3:10 to Yuma(2007) ends with the villain essentially winning but there's closure in that the son is proud of his father. It's a good ending not because Wade gets away but because Evans redeemed himself.

You are delving way too deep into the action functions of the way things work in the show imo. Ed found the correct answer because the show gave him the correct answer. You agree that from the very begging Ed would've done that trade. The fact that he "didn't consider it" doesn't really mean much as to my point of it not being much of a loss. The Death Parade argument is good, but still people commit suicide because they get dumped, so I don't think "What people commit suicide over" to be a great indicator of what a genuine fundamental loss is. My argument isn't that there was a loss, but much like the pretty, smart, super athletic girl from a Shoujo manga whose only negative trait is that she "can't talk to boys", I'm not really buying the sense that the scales are evenly tipped at all. The things gained were much too great.

Things can be resolved in the future. A story with a side character who still has things he needs to do isn't a wasted one. Each character should have an identity of their own and a goal. A simple example would be one of a sports show which has a character put in the hospital and when the main character sees him before the finale he overhears the doctor saying there is a chance he might need to get his leg amputated. Just because the show leaves it hanging whether the surgery was necessary in the end doesn't mean that the staging was messed up. It means that the writer wanted to gain something else from the scenario.

Closure for whom? Whether closure is gained is based on the nature of what the story wants to tell, and I'd argue it isn't related at all to what plot points are left unresolved. Does Zeta Gundam not have a conclusion because it doesn't neatly tie up everything? Or No Country for Old men?

Let me reiterate my points
1. Wrapping up everything in the finale isn't necessary and can be very detrimental to the story.
The finale of the show is centered around the MC and his own personal arc coming to a conclusion. Making all other character to arcs everything else ends at this occasion means you are warping the entire universe to revolve around the MC rather than making the MC merely a part of this universe.

2. I did not like the ending of FMA.
I want to specifically state this as a separate point because I think it is getting mixed in with the point above. I personally feel that the ending was way too happy, way too morally white and way too cliched. Accomplishing your long set out goal completely, saving the world, discovering the the truth of something countless others have tried to decipher, getting the girl and losing basically nothing for it. I am not a fan of this sort of ending. And then we add in the fact that everyone else basically gets this same happy ending, there are no arrangements of convenience, no one plotting for a power vacuum to take over the reigns, no hanger ons still pining for the way things used to be. In fact everyone has become bestys,
Scar isn't angry anymore, Fire hands even gets his goddamn eyesight back, Havoc gets cured, Greed says he'll look after China girl, No womb woman is fine etc etc
. It's a fairy tale ending.

Cornbread78

Log horizon S2 - 25

I now cry , because log horizon gave us 4 freaking raid in this S2 and most of them were good. that last one was excellent.

Season 3 when ?

not much to say except that putting
krusty with kanami was an excellent move , he speculate witch gril will get him first , unaware that a certain princess is still craving for him.

Just finished this as well, there is no way the series ends here. There is waaaay too much material availible for them to use, especially with the
Kanami and Krusky cameos
at the end.. I can't wait until S3, this show is awesome..!

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I heard steins gate be getting a prequel?! im hyped. any other news i missed? its honestly too hard having a job and juggling all the threads i go to lol

Midonin

Go! Princess Precure 09

That party had a lot of appearances from minor characters, including Yuuki and Kisaragi. A boarding school kinda forces it, but it makes me happy we may have a recurring side cast again. Also, the HaruMina yuri levels were off the charts in this episode, including Haruka promising to become Minami's "knight". Maybe it's because I've been watching and am nearly done with Utena, but that just sings yuri to me. Also, Minami is afraid of ghosts. So we learned that.

Next week: The MacGuffin Merchandise hunt continues.

Just finished this as well, there is no way the series ends here. There is waaaay too much material availible for them to use, especially with the at the end.. I can't wait until S3, this show is awesome..!

The problem is they ran out of books to adapt, so to see another season soon one of the following will have to happen

1) The author of the books goes into double over time and starts putting out new books every month

2) The author of the books doesn't care about future seasons spoiling the books, and gives the anime team the upcoming drafts of where the story goes

3) Filler gecko ending/season, which would probably be terrible

Clov

Funimation also got the Yuki anime, as expected. I'm more surprised by them getting Show By Rock! Seemed like something Sentai would go for. It doesn't seem like something they'd release on BD either, but maybe they'll prove me wrong. They have before.

Visual Kei is reason to watch especially for Shingan Crimsonz! And the utpri representation in this anime.
Features Kishow Taniyama (Uta no Prince-sama’s Natsuki Shinomiya, Bakumatsu Rock’s Ryoma Sakamoto, Kuroko no Basket’s Tatsuya Himuro) as lead guitarist and vocalist, Crow!

Features Mamoru Miyano (Uta no Prince-sama’s Tokiya Ichinose, Free!’s Rin Matsuoka, Death Parade’s Harada) as lead guitarist and vocalist, Shu Zo!

Midonin

Funi's been getting much more aggressive with their licensing. Though CR still has a pretty good selection of shows itself this season, and hopefully in the coming one.

Cornbread78

The problem is they ran out of books to adapt, so to see another season soon one of the following will have to happen

1) The author of the books goes into double over time and starts putting out new books every month

2) The author of the books doesn't care about future seasons spoiling the books, and gives the anime team the upcoming drafts of where the story goes

Well, the author must have already completed the whole story and all the arcs by now, especially by the way S2 ended. They left the plot wide open with sooooo much room for growth all over the place. Has there been any word on the completion or release of the books? Sounds like the screwed up the release pacing and they should have timed it out much better, lol. It's really going to suck waiting a year + for new episodes of an ongoing series..

World Trigger Episode 23
CBOV9IzXEAAwJ4b.jpg

Hyuse finally showed up. Theres always something really fascinating seeing your favorite manga characters get animated. I cant wait until we get a few more episodes into this invasion arc.

Quasar

Log Horizon 2.25 - And so the dark times begin. Surprise ending that. Though nice if thats the last ever episode. We got one final look of everyone.

Quasar

2 seemed to have happen with this season, after all the latest book published this month covers the Kanami stuff we saw in S2. Though Mamare actually puts early drafts up on the web anyway.

I doubt that will happen with a S3.

How embarrassing. Having these really big highs and then super drastic lows is the worst kind of production schedule. It seems shameless, and like you don't give a shit about your product.

I don't know if it's fair to say that last part. I mean, if the production team didn't care at all about what they were making, there wouldn't have been those highs in the first place. It's just that there's not much you can do if the producers don't give the director and animators enough time to do a decent job.

Funimation also got the Yuki anime, as expected. I'm more surprised by them getting Show By Rock! Seemed like something Sentai would go for. It doesn't seem like something they'd release on BD either, but maybe they'll prove me wrong. They have before.

The latter is a Shochiku license, which Funi is pretty much the only NA company they work with. Might have been a partner deal w/Rolling Girls, but I doubt it. (possibility does exist though)

Mature

I don't know if it's fair to say that last part. I mean, if the production team didn't care at all about what they were making, there wouldn't have been those highs in the first place. It's just that there's not much you can do if the producers don't give the director and animators enough time to do a decent job.
That's why I said it seems that way. Regardless of whats actually happening behind the scenes, it's a really bad look for your show. Even more so when those highs exist.

That's why I said it seems that way. Regardless of whats actually happening behind the scenes, it's a really bad look for your show. Even more so when those highs exist.

Certainly if a show airs that's blatantly unfinished it's not going to give your studio a good reputation, which is fair. I just think people should remember that it's not necessarily the case that the people making the show wanted that to happen. See also: BD fixes.

It's not like having a sub for both is that expensive

It's not that expensive, but Funi's service is kind of shitty. If they don't get anything I absolutely have to see the same day it airs, I'm probably going to drop my sub (I really just got it for Yurikuma). Having everything on Crunchyroll just makes things easier.

Serious

I tried saying it ealier, but most of the complaining about it is way overblown. I'm not saying the last episode didn't have issues. There were about 4-5 parts where it was clearly unfinished. But we're talking about brief 1 - 3 second cuts in the first place. The other 98% of the episode looked great. When you starting comparing it to stuff like Wizard Barristers (spoilers), then just...no.

Narag

@WTK
Studio Ghibli documentary The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness (Yume to kyôki no ohkoku) is now on Netflix.

Ace of Diamond 75
CBORvC_UMAARU6j.png

They could have advanced the story a bit more. But the full version to the OP was nice over some training moments, and there was some Raichi and Mei moments, as well as Sawamura on Furuya so it wasnt bad at all.

Hoping for a lot for next season, really good.

Go! Princess Precure 8

Lyge3rU.jpg
XvgsizW.jpg

Haruka looked like she was going to fuck up Pafu for staining her dress

Haruka wanted to make a dress and got scolded by Minami. And Kirara shows doubts in HaruHaru's capabilities when she denies Kirara's help in making her dress while keeping everything schoolwise under control.

It was for the most part, a Kirara and Haruka episode, with Kirara actually arguing with Minami over Haruka's well being. It really felt like Kirara and Minami are portrayed as Haruka's older siblings in this particular episode.

The fight though caused quite a bit of issues with me though. Primarily because it was like... Twinkle wanted to be useful, only for Mermaid to go "NO, STATUS QUO IS PRIORITY". I found it ridiculous that a wall of food trays was enough to trap in two Precures to be on standby. Precures, who are capable of jumping VERY HIGH! And on top of that, despite being exhausted, Flora got the kill. This instilled some anxiety, but GoPri! 9 seems to be reassurance for me.

Go! Princess Precure 9

A Minami episode, one that tells us of her dreams, her family status, and even a fear. A slew of side characters introduced (even the baker girl who didn't even communicate with the cast) were back for the ball. Even... the bully was there and apparently two new dudes.

In all honesty, despite how Minami was portrayed as mostly boring at first, this episode, as well as her eating a donut, is doing numbers to raise favoritism, and probably actually makes us wonder the true intent of Cure Mermaid's design (warning).

And, surprise sakuga. In fact, I think Cure Mermaid might be the animation lord for GoPri, which is rather surprising actually given the trends.

http://a.pomf.se/symhnp.webm

The ending to the episode was the cherry on top, one that makes my goggles explode, as seen in the images posted for the episode. She actually denied a dude's invitation to dance so she could dance with HaruHaru. Something HapCha didn't do. Speaking of which

HappinessCharge! Precure Ningyou no Kuni no Ballerina

2VpNz7S.jpg
Z7eMs7s.jpg

God fucking DAMN IT Seiji

It is pretty sad to know that this movie didn't succeed. Because it is on the Good side of Precure movies. In fact, I'm willing to say that unlike a couple of Precure movies I have in mind (DX2 and Splash Star's movies), HappinessCharge's movie really captured the aspects about the four Precures and put them to good use.

This scene in particular. Has some relatively simple lines. However, it shows off the difference between Yuuko and Iona, compared to Hime and Megumi. The latter two being completely swept up in the moment, as well as Hime living up to her dreams as well. Yuuko and Iona, however, are clearly shown to be the brains out of the four, showing just how observant both of them are. And Yuuko has actually been displayed to be both observent, and... practically motherly in the show proper as well.

As for Hime... she has so many faces in this, it is utterly staggering to even screencap them all. To be frank though, I will say that one of the reasons why I was looking forward to seeing this movie was not to finally close the chapter of HappinessCharge Precure after it went too hard with its romance and ultimately faltered due to how it was going to be. It was the dress designs and the change of the overall design that did it

Focusing more on the general plot and whatnot, rather typical stuff, but I think what I liked is that paying attention... really helps. And sets you up on what to expect, what the cause is, and general conditions

While this would obviously be explained later in the movie so that the characters in the movie understands what is going, as well as the kids, the scenes at the beginning of the movie tells you EVERYTHING you need to know about Tsumugi's condition, as well as the cause of it. This as well as the Yuuko/Iona scene were probably my two favorite scenes. It does just enough in my eyes.

I think another thing I like is while the elements of romance are there, it's not overbearing, and not even the focus of the movie. Hell,
Blue gets locked up almost immediately, and Seiji gets locked up as well.
It honestly feels like HappinessCharge when it was good before all the overbearing love triangle shit happened.

I think one thing it also shows off is just how lackluster HappinessCharge's Stock footage quality is. It might be the lighting differences, but the actual footage looks a lot better than the stock footage on AVERAGE.

If there was one thing that bugged me about this movie though, it is the ending
Or rather, throughout the movie, Tsumugi reveals to Cure Lovely that she cannot dance in real life and over the course of her being in the hospital/home, she eventually had no friends. These friends of course, do show up occasionally through the movie once shit was getting real.

Now then, once everything was solved, Tsumugi wakes up and cries... possibly due to her dolls not coming back to life. She didn't attempt to walk or anything, but it just cuts to her recital, as well as the "friends" waiting to see. I honestly wish they fleshed it out here but of course, we're stuck with 70 minute Precure films :/

All in all, a good Precure film, and canon as well since Tsumugi is seen in the ending of HapCha, as well as Prince Zeke appearing in Hime's dreams.

And yes, Seiji, Horses do in fact, exist.... you shit.

Looking forward too seeing more of Durarara in the Summer. Pretty awesome.

Now Aldnoah... I'll be honest I didn't think it was bad, but I also didn't think it was good either. I don't know how I feel about it lol.

Baalzebup

Wait which post?

I feel like I watched the 00 movie almost 2 years ago. Just remembering it reminds me that I wish to triple down on what I have said before: Gundam 00 is the absolute worst Gundam product ever made. Yes, even worse than Stardust Memory, AGE, and Destiny combined.

Oh come on. Nothing is worse than AGE. NOTHING! The whole arc involving Kio was pure, distilled ass and it even torpedoes both of the elder Asunos with its stupid nonsense. The final duel between Asemu and Zeheart was such a fucking anti-climax... gaah, it hurts to even remember it.

Even the 00 movie had some really slick fighting in it, even if was shit otherwise. AGE, at the end, couldn't even get that right.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Okay guys, I have a few series I plan to watch over the next little while, I don't think they're all terrible this time though:

Samurai Flamenco
G Gundam
Grisaia No Kajitsu

I've watched bits of pieces of G Gundam but not the whole thing, watching it with a group of friends.

Grisaia I've seen 3 episodes already, I'm intrigued but I know it will turn to shit.

Samurai Flamenco I haven't seen a thing but it feels like this one could be good.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Okay guys, I have a few series I plan to watch over the next little while, I don't think they're all terrible this time though:

Samurai Flamenco
G Gundam
Grisaia No Kajitsu

I've watched bits of pieces of G Gundam but not the whole thing, watching it with a group of friends.

Grisaia I've seen 3 episodes already, I'm intrigued but I know it will turn to shit.

Samurai Flamenco I haven't seen a thing but it feels like this one could be good.

Dump Grisaia because it's shit, watch the other 2.

Samurai Flamenco
G Gundam
Grisaia No Kajitsu

G Gundam is a great show.
Samurai Flamenco is super enjoyable and fun.
Can't say on Grisaia.

Narag

Samurai Flamenco
G Gundam
Grisaia No Kajitsu

Watch samflam and g gundam, skip the third.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Samurai Flamenco
G Gundam
Grisaia No Kajitsu

Samurai Flamenco is great. It's my 2014 AOTY contender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom