• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere - 9

I swear, if Tori
actually becomes king by the end of this first season, I'll probably laugh my ass off.

Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere - 10

I swear, if Tori doesn't pull off some kind of giga attack or SOMETHING by the end of this first season, then I'll might just flip a desk. I mean, he's the main character next to Horizon and we've yet to see ANYTHING from him at this point other than his hijinks.

He certainly is a special kind of main character in that regard,

CDiggity

Rolololling Girls 7-12

I picked this back up because enough people I knew bugged me to no end. And I totally regret doing that.

I have plenty of rules when watching anime, but one of the top ones is that if I ever think "I do not care what happens to these characters" for an extended period of time, that's grounds for an immediate drop. I don't care if the show is well animated or otherwise pretty to look at. Unless the series is designed to showcase the animation or another aspect, the story and characters comes first to me. And Rolling Girls was really bad in both of these departments.

It's a total mess. It uses the first two episodes as a prologue of sorts, but doesn't really establish our main cast until the end, which leaves you wanted the people showcased in those episodes and not the four we are left with. They then spend six episodes chronicling their adventures, except not really as they showcase more interesting side characters while not giving our core 4 much to do except sit around and look cute. And even then, the series was not good at playing it's emotional cards so even when the situations of the side characters are resolved, I'm like K and nothing else. And then in the last four episodes, we are supposed to believe the relationship between the core four as there are cracks, breaks and fixes in the group. NO, they didn't earn that, stop trying to make me care. Also there are robots and aliens and other things with like 3-4 plots going on at once...what?

It's a show that's unclear on what it's supposed to be and has all the wasted potential in the world, and all the good animation in the world (besides episode 12 cause YIKES that was bad) or cover songs or cute girl smiles will not fix that.

Yona of the Dawn 13 Dub

For the most part I really like the dub voices, Sabat as Hak took a bit of getting used to (bit deeper then I was expecting for Hak). Ian Sinclair is fantastic as Gija and Monica Rial nails Yona being able to flip from sweet to serious to comedy when the scene needs it.

The actual episode was pretty good if slow, feel like recruiting the blue dragon is taking longer then it should, though thankfully the next episode preview seems to imply that plot is quickly resolved.

Durarara x2 12

Damn this was a good ending to this arc and the first cour. Mikado
stabbing Aoba with a pen, then immediately changing back to his kind persona hinting at his descent into madness
, and then Izaya
finally getting his comeuppance for being a bit too manipulative behind-the-scenes and getting stabbed.

Meesh

Looking forward, with insane fan lust, Rinne. Please be so good!! Also will hit Ninja Slayer even though it's a little too colourful for the subject matter in my humble opinion, could be a good romp. Is Gangsta slated for spring as well? Got my peepers on that one :)

Looking forward, with insane fan lust, Rinne. Please be so good!! Also will hit Ninja Slayer even though it's a little too colourful for the subject matter in my humble opinion, could be a good romp. Is Gangsta slated for spring as well? Got my peepers on that one :)

Gangsta is summer.

Log horizon S2 - 25

I now cry , because log horizon gave us 4 freaking raid in this S2 and most of them were good. that last one was excellent.

Season 3 when ?

not much to say except that putting
krusty with kanami was an excellent move , he speculate witch gril will get him first , unaware that a certain princess is still craving for him.

Yona of the Dawn 14 Dub

Blue Dragon gets a name and we very quickly get out of the cave. Shina needs to start speaking with the rest of the cast or I feel he's going to be a very boring character in the various group scenes. At least we're wasting no time getting to the green dragon.

It's slated for Summer and have you already seen the PV, it's looking real good. I just hope Manglobe can do justice to the manga.

Aldnoah Zero 24 (End)

Well that was pretty terrible, even for this show.

Just what? Felt so anticlimactic. I'm just gonna pretend the last episode of this show was episode 12.

If only it stayed as amazing as episode 3. Sigh.

Rolling Girls END

The only thing remotely good about this ending was the fact that squidgirl actually went home instead of that typical cop-out where the alien girl chooses to stay. Why exactly ma-chan and the tough chick kept their powers isn't even explained its just they needed their powers at that moment so they had them.

Fuck this show. If it had just been about super-powered girls and guy beating the crap out of each other and trying to steal land and stuff it would have been better.

Rolling Girls END

The only thing remotely good about this ending was the fact that squidgirl actually went home instead of that typical cop-out where the alien girl chooses to stay. Why exactly ma-chan and the tough chick kept their powers isn't even explained its just they needed their powers at that moment so they had them.

Fuck this show. If it had just been about super-powered girls and guy beating the crap out of each other and trying to steal land and stuff it would have been better.

I stopped following this around episode 6. Guess I shouldnt bother with it anymore?

Hellsing Ultimate - 01 & 02

Well I said dayum. I came in expecting some sort of Hugh Jackman Van Helsing.

jlehjr.gif

Every character in this show looks to be some sort of bad ass. And they all seem to know they are because they always have a shit eating grin.
The dialogue is very.. raw and it doesn't spare on the gore and blood either. But yeah, the action is very entertaining and over the top. Animation is great. The VA and the sound in general is splendid as well.
gFQfWTq.jpg
uA7v0GD.jpg
M2R9yJU.jpg

Ameeeeeeeeeen

JCG

Aldnoah Zero really was a complete disappointment. For my money, both Gundam SEED (not Destiny, mind you) and Code Geass had much better endings. Heck, I'd easily recommend watching Gundam 00 over it, even with the movie. This was rather lifeless in comparison. I guess the end of Valvrave was similarly underwhelming in a way, but somehow felt slightly less pointless.

Haven't seen the final episodes of G-Reco yet but it sounds like Tomino's story basically just stops all of a sudden too. Perhaps he originally wanted the show to be twice as long or something? We may never know.

Articalys

Sounds like I made the right call dropping Rolling Girls after episode 2. Most of the rest of what I was watching turned out pretty good.
Even though it's a fake quote, it still isn't wrong.

---------------------------

LIST:
Yukarin and Otaku Husband S2 because it's only three minutes every week
Yuki-chan because we're never going to get S3 and this is the next best thing
Kinmoza S2 because KAREN DESS
Mikagura because it looks fun and should be better than the last Vocaloid song-based series we had
Euphonium because do I even need to say it?
Nisekoi S2 because I'm not suffering enough with the manga
and finally Souma because the manga seems popular and I need something with Matsuoka in a lead role

There's some other stuff I'm interested in (Danmachi, Gunslinger, Plamemo, Show By Rock, Pleiades, Punchline), but I'll throw it all in backlog and marathon later if I hear favorable impressions. There's also Oregairu and Grisaia S2s, but I need to brush up on what happened in the first seasons before I jump back in, especially in Oregairu's case. And then there's UBW, where I still haven't even watched S1, but once I get around to it I'll start catching up with S2 as well.

Dropping from 10 shows down to 6-8 weekly should be a bit better.

Who knows when I'm going to find time for all the backlog stuff though...

Mr.Jeff

I thought Jeff dropped it on ep 8.
I plowed through the rest this week. Mostly good fights, adequate tournament series, awful writing.

To clarify a little, I don't mean to imply that all the anime on that list are rubbish. Far from it, there's plenty of good titles listed there. However, I believe that a list should serve a pretty clear purpose. So a list of "overlooked" anime should probably be made up of actually obscure anime, not stuff like Utena and Baccano.
So perhaps things along the lines of Fantastic Children and Trapeze?

More S;G milking. Maybe the result will actually be good for a change.
Can't be any worse than the film can it?

Serious

I stopped following this around episode 6. Guess I shouldnt bother with it anymore?

It depends why you stopped. If it's because you liked the first two episodes and were disappointed it wasn't all flashy action, then no, don't bother.

I loved the show. I liked the focus on the background characters, I liked the characters themselves. I thought the first two episodes were okay, but could tell that if that arc went any longer, I would have dropped it fast. The focus switch to the "useless" characters, and going from more of an action show to more of a travelling, "coming of age" story was a huge improvement for me.

But it looks like I'm in the minority there.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
i tend to not watch shows till they are done airing, now with winter season wrapping up and lots of 1 and 2 season shows ending what's gaf recommend out of the last 2 seasons (anything streaming in the usa).

Just finished Your lie in April, started Shirobako next I think I'll start Log Horiozon S2. Anything else I should bump to top of my list, Death Parde looks interesting as does rolling girls.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aldnoah Zero 24 (End)

Well that was pretty terrible, even for this show.

Just what? Felt so anticlimactic. I'm just gonna pretend the last episode of this show was episode 12.

If only it stayed as amazing as episode 3. Sigh.

So, what have we learned from Aldnoah.Zero and Psycho-Pass? YOU KEEP GEN UROBUCHI ON THE PROJECT, OR ELSE.

TUSR

Banned
included the known air dates for all the shows this season in the second post.

holla if i missed something.

JCG

So, what have we learned from Aldnoah.Zero and Psycho-Pass? YOU KEEP GEN UROBUCHI ON THE PROJECT, OR ELSE.

Well, they could have at least aimed for Gargantia levels of being okay though. That did have Urobuchi writing the last episode after all.

i tend to not watch shows till they are done airing, now with winter season wrapping up and lots of 1 and 2 season shows ending what's gaf recommend out of the last 2 seasons (anything streaming in the usa).

Just finished Your lie in April, started Shirobako next I think I'll start Log Horiozon S2. Anything else I should bump to top of my list, Death Parde looks interesting as does rolling girls.

Death Parade is great, forget about Rolling Girls. Yuri Kuma Arashi seems to be well liked though I haven't really watched it yet. If you like magical girl shows I would also recommend Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

Warnen

Death Parade is great, forget about Rolling Girls. Yuri Kuma Arashi seems to be well liked though I haven't really watched it yet. If you like magical girl shows I would also recommend Yuki Yuna is a Hero.

Cool, I did watch Yuki Yuna is a Hero right before Your lie in April. Death Parade gets a bump up my list.

Shounen Hollywood is a really good, overlooked examination of the idol industry and of dreams achieved and frustrated. The writing, done by a novelist and ex-idol who knows of what she speaks and can state it eloquently, is superb. The characters are likable and well-rounded. Plus there are fascinatingly unique uses of the TV format, such as one episode that consists entirely of a play the main characters put on. It's definitely worth checking out if you have any interest in character drama.

Tuck

Pretty sure it was doomed from the start. Inaho was an awful awful lead character.

No scratch that, he isn't even a character. He's a piece of cardboard in the shape of a person.

Jex

So perhaps things along the lines of Fantastic Children and Trapeze?

Exactly that kind of thing. I'm certainly not going to put on my nerd hat and declare which works are obscure enough to be considered overlooked but it would be stuff like:

- Anne of Green Gables
- Goenzosama
- Fantastic Children
- Tenamonya Voyagers
- Requiem from the Darkness
- Toward The Terra

etc etc

Warnen

Shounen Hollywood is a really good, overlooked examination of the idol industry and of dreams achieved and frustrated. The writing, done by a novelist and ex-idol who knows of what she speaks and can state it eloquently, is superb. The characters are likable and well-rounded. Plus there are fascinatingly unique uses of the TV format, such as one episode that consists entirely of a play the main characters put on. It's definitely worth checking out if you have any interest in character drama.

Thanks didn't even have this one saved to my list. I'll check it out.

Aldnoah Zero 24 END

Mehhhhhh.
I'm surprised they actually ended it and had no s3/movie tie in and since Slaine just gave up there won't be a Slaine's Counterattack, dude never should've been the villain if this is what we got. Fight had good animation but was pretty lackluster.

The most memorable thing about this show for me will probably be that people actually took sides on two shitty characters like they were compelling or something.

Holy fuck, this Rolling Girls finale is on the level of the TV version of later episodes of Wizard Barristers.

Good lord WIT.

So Duckroll anime of the season? Started off with great sakuga and then ends on a 60 second still frame?

lololol so glad I dropped this

Is Cinderella Girls worth picking back up?

I'm behind by like three episodes.

It's alright but it's my first idol show so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Aldnoah Zero really was a complete disappointment. For my money, both Gundam SEED (not Destiny, mind you) and Code Geass had much better endings. Heck, I'd easily recommend watching Gundam 00 over it, even with the movie. This was rather lifeless in comparison. I guess the end of Valvrave was similarly underwhelming in a way, but somehow felt slightly less pointless.

I almost thought they were going for a Zero Requiem ending where it was all a big facade and Slaine failed and gave up on purpose so they could have peace.
They even played chess

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom