• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vito

Banned
You have to set your system time to JP to see it though

aaekjx.jpg

Come on.
Alchemy is a defining trait for Ed, hell it was his primary trait. The speech to Rose makes this crystal clear. I think you missed the whole point of the Truth segment. Ed has progressed as an individual and doesn't need alchemy anymore compared to when he was younger because he has friends and doesn't think so highly of himself anymore. He damn near compared himself to God in his introduction.

Well a strong point of fiction is that it's not reality. Having unresolved plot points for the sake of having unresolved plot points is disgusting in my book. That's on the level of Mac Walter's "Speculation for Everyone".

So he went from being
a super special prodigy to being normal
and that's supposed to be an actual loss? Compared to things he gained? Seriously?

What do you mean he "Progressed as an individual"? Are you claiming that if he was given the option
to trade in his alchemy for his brother
at the very start he wouldn't have taken it? I highly doubt that. It wasn't just a good deal, or a great deal, it was a genie in a bottle style, get whatever you truly desire deal.

Unresolved plot points allow your story to feel more realistic and not have the entire universe hang on the action or inaction of the central character (assuming that the end of the central character's story is the end of the entire thing). By leaving some characters in the middle of their journey you show that the world doesn't revolve around the main character allow events to reverberate across multiple arcs without taking them over and merging to one silly finale where inevitably the good guys win.

And that of course is exactly what has to happen in that scenario, the main characters have to win, or else things are unresolved and therefore "disgusting". So you've completely boxed in the writer to either switch the entire focus to be what the bad guys do after they win, or make the good guys win, like every other story aimed at teens, where they save the world, get the girl (and the childhood friend no less), and barely lose anything for it.

Log Horizon Season 2 END

It ended with such an amazing battle that showed off so much about what I love about MMOs. And now the wait begins. It hurts because I loved this show so much and there certainly is more story to tell, but I wonder if we'll ever see a season 3. I will hope against hope that it happens.
Oh and glad my curiosity about what happened to Crusty and Misa's arm have been satisfied.

Pooya

that ending is booooooring, good thing there is cross ange finale coming up. aldnoah zzzzz they left a lot of things open I guess, they can make whatever sequel they want but not sure many people would pay to see it...

I guess the first 3 episodes were fine and interesting enough and I like the character designs, otherwise it was just an ugly show that was all tease with zero pay off.

Is this just a case of bad adaptations with Chaos;Head and Robotics;Notes or are the VNs bad too? I was always interested in checking out the Chaos;Head VN.

The Chaos;Head anime had one of the most butchered adaptations ever. Not only was the animation and art style terrible, they cut out many pivotal scenes, added anime-only filler episode, and completely missed out on the tone of the VN.

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 12 A Tragedy

0eazs.gif

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.😑

I don't know whether I should be laughing or crying at this ending. Like WTF even as a manga reader I'm confused on how they jumbled all this mess together. They pretty much skipped most of the content Ishida wrote in his draft. They thought they were pretty slick by tricking people with the promotional poster on who Kaneki was carrying, yeah no. This is how I pretty much felt (Spoilers) http://i.imgur.com/uLBNFWs.jpg, truly a fuckin tragedy. Oh well at least the ending art and song was throughly enjoyable.

Wait..............
YzS9IPv.jpg

Now they are trolling people with a Re adaptation, the nerves of this Studio.

Ahahahahaha Fuck you Pierrot fuck you. You already butchered Tokyo Ghoul and now your gonna try to butcher the sequel Re as well, heh heh screw you.

Is Tokyo Ghouls the must bungled manga to anime adaptation ever created?

Stardust Crusaders 36

Ugh the Oingo Boingo comedy episode worked well as a one off, bringing it back with Hol Horse as a two part is just aggravating.

Log Horizon 2 25
It was a decent finale. It tied most of the loose ends and it was a cool raid boss fight. However, this final was pretty much tying everything together, nothing too earthshaking was revealed and there wasn't really any character development. It was too straightforward with just defeat the thing

Is Tokyo Ghouls the must bungled manga to anime adaptation ever created?

Stardust Crusaders 36

Ugh the Oingo Boingo comedy episode worked well as a one off, bringing it back with Hol Horse as a two part is just aggravating.

You could say all of the manga from Young Jump that gets an anime adaption are pretty much mediocre/shit.

• Terra Formars
  • Kingdom
  • Tokyo Ghoul
  • Brynhilder
  • Gantz
  • Zetman
  • Rozen Maiden

Thats all I could think up, but there's more. So RIP Umaru chan and OnePunch Man adaptions since they belong to Young Jump magazine.😌

Tenumi

Banned
Nisekoi: 07

Congrats, Nisekoi, on introducing a character that is completely built to bug and annoy me and turn them into a sympathetic character that I can't help but like!

Midonin

Dog Days'' 12

If the first season was about tension between the two countries and the second introduced a third country unaffiliated with the other two, where to go from there? Expanding on the world outside, the world above and the world of the past was a good choice for this season. Flognarde feels much more fleshed out, with plenty of lands for more adventures, and more opportunities for everyone. Even Leaf's brief appearances show that the rest of Genoise have their homelands that are ripe for storytelling.

I love the imagery of space whales - and loved it in Fantasia too - so the final arc winds points with me, and the battle of everyone against the demons at the start of the show was fun. It's sort of about monster busting, but even the monsters are sympathetic. There is war and battles, but it's closer to sporting events than it is actual war. If there's anything to describe Dog Days, I'd say that it's pleasant. A very pleasant season, and with spring and summer and fall covered, I hope the staff has at least hashed out an idea for a winter season. Four seasons for a show like this wouldn't be shabby at all, and I'm sure Nana Mizuki's star power alone can carry it to that point.

It not being licensed for streaming in America was odd, but I'm not going to miss out on watching it. Wonderful little season, and I hope it gets a fourth one.

Jarmel

Banned
So he went from being
a super special prodigy to being normal
and that's supposed to be an actual loss? Compared to things he gained? Seriously?

What do you mean he "Progressed as an individual"? Are you claiming that if he was given the option
to trade in his alchemy for his brother
at the very start he wouldn't have taken it? I highly doubt that. It wasn't just a good deal, or a great deal, it was a genie in a bottle style, get whatever you truly desire deal.

Unresolved plot points allow your story to feel more realistic and not have the entire universe hang on the action or inaction of the central character (assuming that the end of the central character's story is the end of the entire thing). By leaving some characters in the middle of their journey you show that the world doesn't revolve around the main character allow events to reverberate across multiple arcs without taking them over and merging to one silly finale where inevitably the good guys win.

And that of course is exactly what has to happen in that scenario, the main characters have to win, or else things are unresolved and therefore "disgusting". So you've completely boxed in the writer to either switch the entire focus to be what the bad guys do after they win, or make the good guys win, like every other story aimed at teens, where they save the world, get the girl (and the childhood friend no less), and barely lose anything for it.

Without a doubt, that's a loss. Hell we had a finale in Death Parade that consisted of
a person committing suicide because they lost their unique 'characteristic'.
Ed is considered a prodigy and has spent most of his life delving into alchemy for multiple reasons. It's very much a part of who he is as a person. Even after the finale he's still extremely interested in alchemy and is traveling to other countries to expand his knowledge. Truth says Ed at the finale "Will you degrade yourself to being a normal person?" This was very much a loss for him.

The whole thing was a riddle and Ed found the correct answer. Yes at the beginning, he would have probably traded his arms or his legs. In chapter 28, he says, "Whether it's my arms or my legs. I can even give you my heart". He didn't even consider trading his alchemic gate. All the human transmutation alchemists were focused on using alchemy to tread on 'God's territory' and Ed was the first person to figure out that the solution isn't more knowledge or power. Ed realizes that he doesn't need to depend on alchemy and that even with his dependency he still couldn't do all the things he wanted such as saving Nina, so he trades it away. At the end, Truth says, "That is the correct answer alchemist".

There's a difference between something being resolved off-screen and not resolved at all. If you introduce a plot point, then you should resolve it in some fashion. That's just basic economy of storytelling. Now if the storyteller doesn't want to include extra information in a finale because it would hurt pacing, that's a separate issue. Also if your character arcs are unfinished, then you somewhat fucked up with the setting and staging of your story. There might be more for them to learn or grow but there should be clear development on their part.

What? This is almost completely asinine. The whole point of a conclusion is closure. 3:10 to Yuma(2007) ends with the villain essentially winning but there's closure in that the son is proud of his father. It's a good ending not because Wade gets away but because Evans redeemed himself.

Tuck

Log Horizon 2 - END

Oh, I don't want it to be over. So many awesome developments were happening.The characters are all so lovable. Sure it didn't have an even somewhat reasonable budget but damn it all if it wasn't fun to watch. I desperately want to know what happens next, but I doubt there will be another season. A shame - I hope one day, at least, I get to hear the end of the story.

I was a little disappointed that Crusty was with Kanami however.... not as hype as I had hoped.

Log Horizon S2 Finale

S3 when?

I know that it's probably 1-2 years away, but they need to make another season ;-;

Log Horizon has become one of my all time favorite series, I can't wait to pick up the rest of the series on Blu Ray once S2 comes to the US and will buy the novels as well.

SHONEN HOLLYWOOD -HOLLY STAGE FOR 50- Episode 25 Even If There Comes a Day We Close Our Eyes

Eternally never ever indeed. Shonen Hollywood will always live on in my heart. Although it was just mainly talking for this episode it was so good and inspiration, and all my happy tears at the end of it. Tesshie even.

I loved the comedy too, their impersonations were wonderful, Shunshuns made me laugh a lot and seeing Makki do like Kira, lol.

2nd best idol anime Ive seen, up there with Utapri for me. 10/10

Hugstable

Banned
Yuru Yuri s1e2

iMlOhj7mVh6sT.jpg

iozPJFww5BwW0.jpg

ize3HFxjaq00X.jpg

I think I have a new favorite girl. <3

Haha Yuru Yuri is pretty funny. I still think my favorite characters were Ayano, Akari's Sister Akane and Sakurako. I still think it's strange how all my favorites from YuYu aren't main characters (well Ayano pretty much is after a bit haha). I think out of the mains though, I always like Akarin.

I gotta start watching and catching up on anime again. Been so busy that I haven't had much time to watch anything the last month or so and my CrunchyRoll subscription lapsed. Oh well time to get it back and start watching. Probably start watching Shirobako again, haven't watched it since Episode 11 or 12 (the first half)

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul Root A 12 A Tragedy

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.&#65533;&#65533;

I don't know whether I should be laughing or crying at this ending. Like WTF even as a manga reader I'm confused on how they jumbled all this mess together. They pretty much skipped most of the content Ishida wrote in his draft. They thought they were pretty slick by tricking people with the promotional poster on who Kaneki was carrying, yeah no. This is how I pretty much felt (Spoilers) http://i.imgur.com/uLBNFWs.jpg, truly a fuckin tragedy. Oh well at least the ending art and song was throughly enjoyable.

Wait..............

Ahahahahaha Fuck you Pierrot fuck you. You already butchered Tokyo Ghoul and now your gonna try to butcher the sequel Re as well, heh heh screw you.
(TG manga spoilers)That delicious double entendre.

Aldnoah. Zero 24

It was a big meh but at least it concluded without any giant cliffhanger.

The final battle was especially lackluster, Slaine's precognitive abilities just turned off because reasons. For a show that relied so much on Inaho's keikakus thie way they resolved this fight was just poor. Yuki's, Rayet's and Inko's battle was off panneled and so was Harklight's. Blergh. Glad it's finally over.

(TG manga spoilers)That delicious double entendre.

Aldnoah. Zero 24

It was a big meh but at least it concluded without any giant cliffhanger.

The final battle was especially lackluster, Slaine's precognitive abilities just turned off because reasons. For a show that relied so much on Inaho's keikakus thie way they resolved this fight was just poor. Yuki's, Rayet's and Inko's battle was off panneled and so was Harklight's. Blergh. Glad it's finally over.

The Pierrots truly get the last laugh.

Sterok

Not sure what I'll watch this season. Probably Yuki for Haruhi, but aside from that I'll probably wait for reactions. But I've finally gotten to watching something that I've been putting off for way too long.

Fate/Zero 1

I've seen the original Fate/stay Night, so there's a lot of familiar faces and names. Including little Rin, aka best tsundere. Time to see what's up with the famous Kiritsugu. Always nice to see Kotomine. Poor Walter. Easy to see the kid is way over his head. Kariya is screwed. Which happened even faster than I thought. Zouken is even more... charming than I had imagined. 4 servants at once. Huh.
Gilgamesh looks as fearsome as ever. And of course, who can forget King Arthur-waifu.

Midonin

Rolling Girls 12

The point is that they weren't the powered ones. The important ones. Making the girls superhuman would've gone against what the show was doing. And I liked it. It kinda reminded me of Kyousougiga meets Sengoku Collection, with a hint of Americana thrown in to capture the majesty of Route 66, just transposed to Japan. I've never really seen an aesthetic quite like this one. The series of short stories varied in terms of how interesting they were, but the finales, the rock and roll show especially, were usually pretty entertaining. I'm also okay with the four main girls - Chiaya and Nozomi were the most important, and their story resolved nicely enough. It's a curio for sure, but I like curios. They get to be that way by having ambition, and I can't fault Rolling Girls for being unambitious.

Tuck

Garo - END

This series was an absolute joy to watch. It started out somewhat unoriginal - especially the introduction of the villain. The villain was also very much "evil for power" or "Evil for the sake of being evil," but I think the actor really sold the character - the VA work for Mendoza was terrific, and really gave him presence.

The second half of the series was even better than the first, with the show several times going in a direction drastically different than what i expected. Things got a bit weird near the end with German acting strange, but the show recovered. And with several major character deaths, and the final little detail of
Leon's flames being protection, not revenge
, the second half of the show became much more original and memorable than the first half.

Visually, the show was a mix. Sometimes it was a real treat, and the some scenes are very nicely done, with impressive imagery. Of course the big thing here is the use of CG in many of the combat scenes, which is really too bad. The CG *mostly* blends in alright, though it looked overly wonky in a few scenes. At least it allowed the show to have a lot of action, but it were the fully 2D fight scenes that were the best (
Leon vs Alfonso
was pure hype)

Overall, this series gets a very high recommendation from me. I eagerly await season 2 and the movie.

A.

phaze

Mononoke 1-2
I didn't know Witcher anime already existed, I would have tackled this sooner had I only known.

Going into this show blind, I was pretty much fooled by the artstyle and did not anticipate something so ... creepy and unsettling. One scene in particular was just ... brrrrrr. Really good direction, great background art and a surprising amount of animation given to it. I don't know if there will be some more overarching story but at least they're devoting more than 1 episode per each Mononoke. Show looks like a keeper so far.

kewlmyc

Aldnoah Zero 24

Well that was lackluster and doesn't make much sense when you think about it. I'm just glad it's over.

cajunator

Banned
Not sure what I'll watch this season. Probably Yuki for Haruhi, but aside from that I'll probably wait for reactions. But I've finally gotten to watching something that I've been putting off for way too long.

Fate/Zero 1

I've seen the original Fate/stay Night, so there's a lot of familiar faces and names. Including little Rin, aka best tsundere. Time to see what's up with the famous Kiritsugu. Always nice to see Kotomine. Poor Walter. Easy to see the kid is way over his head. Kariya is screwed. Which happened even faster than I thought. Zouken is even more... charming than I had imagined. 4 servants at once. Huh.
Gilgamesh looks as fearsome as ever. And of course, who can forget King Arthur-waifu.

Episode 1 was given mixed reviews. Most said it was too lengthy and tedious with all that exposition. If you enjoyed it then you are really in for a treat.

cajunator

Banned
At the risk of masturbating my own ego I confess I actually do think I'm hilarious when I'm pissed off about anime. Like, at the time I'm just pissed, but that Clannad post has some fucking golden lines.

Corvy kun we love you when youre pissed at anime. You are adorable :)

Aldnoah Zero 24

Well that was lackluster and doesn't make much sense when you think about it. I'm just glad it's over.

Thats been a prevailing theme from the very beginning. With Aldnoah powers being equivalent to basically fucking magic and Mars having proven that they're capable of interplanetary travel they could have just as easily terraformed Mars and colonized the solar system without ever needing Earth in the first place. A more interesting show with more capable writers would have probably focused on the nature of the whole Aldnoah thing to begin with and explored the avenues of Dr. Troyard's original research. Instead we got an excuse for Inaho to show off how much more capable he is than everyone everywhere every episode.

I gave up looking for things to make sense within the context of the larger picture of the show a long time ago.

Aldnoah Zero - 24 [End]

I don't usually feel like I've wasted my time after watching something. And I've watched a lot of mediocre shows.
But after this episode the only thing that was on my mind was; That was it?

Jarmel

Banned
Holy fuck, this Rolling Girls finale is on the level of the TV version of later episodes of Wizard Barristers.

Good lord WIT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom