• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I'm kind of surprised everyone isnt like aniplex now given how its turned into a collectors market and everything being streamed.

Most companies haven't turned to that approach entirely, but Aniplex's success has definitely had an effect on them. We're seeing companies like Funimation and Sentai also releasing big collector's editions alongside their standard releases for big titles (such as Funimation's BD run of Darker than Black S1, limited to 5000 copies or so).

That's kinda how I see the people who shit on the PONYCAN.US releases too. It's clear that there's a dedicated group that will pay $10+ an episode on bluray.

I feel that Pony Canyon is a bit of a different case; Aniplex succeeded because they had big, popular titles to get people to buy them. Outside of Euphonium, Pony Canyon's titles don't have that popularity factor. That's why I don't think they're nearly as successful. I hope they're able to keep hanging in there; their continued existence within the US market may hinge on Euphonium.

Speaking of Aniplex, their livestream is now! Time to annoy them about stuff they don't want to release.

Gvitor

Tsubasa Chronicle ep.1
latest

So I picked a random show off my "Plan to watch" list and this one hot pulled. I know absolutely nothing about it, but that was an interesting opening episode to start a season off with. They give you a little background info and boom, right into it... The immediate plot brought me right to Tales of Hearts/ Symphonia, but we'll see what happens. Does anyone know what to expect with this one? Is it any good?

God, I watched this so long ago, I barely remember it. I do recall it being good (and the first two short arcs are specially enjoyable), but the thing that stuck with me through all these years is the OP song. I love it.

IIRC It's only 25 episodes long and the manga continues way past it. I don't remember if I ever finished it or if it does have a proper ending though.

Fantastic Children 24

Wait a second.
You can't have young Soran look and sound exactly like Thoma, and then turn around and say that Thoma's actually the reincarnation of Seth. That's just being deliberately deceptive!

But man, the universe in Fantastic Children sure is cruel.
First Seth watches Tina suffer and ignore him on Greecia, then he's brought back as Thoma on Earth just so he can watch her suffer and ignore him all over again. What a life!

Exactly my feelings when I watched it last year. :(
Being
Thoma/Seth
is suffering.

Taruranto

Fantastic Children 24

Wait a second.
You can't have young Soran look and sound exactly like Thoma, and then turn around and say that Thoma's actually the reincarnation of Seth. That's just being deliberately deceptive!

But man, the universe in Fantastic Children sure is cruel.
First Seth watches Tina suffer and ignore him on Greecia, then he's brought back as Thoma on Earth just so he can watch her suffer and ignore him all over again. What a life!

It's obliviously the author did him on purpose.
You expect Thoma to end up with Helga just because he's the main character? That's not what the story is about, ah!

Needless to say, a lot people cried NTR and the like. :p

You are almost done, don't forget to check out the Extended Ending, it's not included in episode 26 and it's very important.

Exactly my feelings when I watched it last year. :(
Being
Thoma/Seth
is suffering.

Seth killed his best friend and condemned the woman he claimed to love to years of suffering while he got away with it on Earth and leads a very peaceful like tho' :p

Tsubasa Chronicle ep.1
latest

So I picked a random show off my "Plan to watch" list and this one hot pulled.

WHY

God, I watched this so long ago, I barely remember it. I do recall it being good (and the first two short arcs are specially enjoyable), but the thing that stuck with me through all these years is the OP song. I love it.

IIRC It's only 25 episodes long and the manga continues way past it. I don't remember if I ever finished it or if it does have a proper ending though.

25? Dont you mean 52 Did you not watch season 2? or the ovas.

I liked TRC anime and the manga, still top 5 best manga ever (actually top 3) for me, one of the first manga I finished buying to completion.

Deadly

Tsubasa Chronicle ep.1
latest

So I picked a random show off my "Plan to watch" list and this one hot pulled. I know absolutely nothing about it, but that was an interesting opening episode to start a season off with. They give you a little background info and boom, right into it... The immediate plot brought me right to Tales of Hearts/ Symphonia, but we'll see what happens. Does anyone know what to expect with this one? Is it any good?
It's good but I think half the 2nd season is filler. The OVA's are really good though since they address very crucial storylines. Like said it was never completed and you'd have to read the manga to know the rest of the story. Also have to add that the story becomes very confusing and convoluted at a certain point.

The show is also alot more enjoyable if you're familiar with CLAMP's previous works.

Gvitor

25? Dont you mean 52 Did you not watch season 2? or the ovas.

I liked TRC anime and the manga, still top 5 best manga ever (actually top 3) for me, one of the first manga I finished buying to completion.

Say what now

I was pretty sure there was only one season.

I also bought the manga back then (still have the first volumes) and a bunch of other CLAMP works as well. TRC is one of the manga I really want to get back to, eventually. But now I might just (re)watch the anime first.

Fantastic Children 26 END

This is the epitome of earning your bittersweet ending.
Everyone goes their separate ways and loses their memories of the past. At least Tina finally got to reencounter Soran at the end.

While some aspects of the visual design and direction could have been sharper or tighter, this was a strong show overall. It knew what it wanted to say and said it.

Seth killed his best friend and condemned the woman he claimed to love to years of suffering while he got away with it on Earth and leads a very peaceful like tho' :p

Seth made an impulsive mistake, but he was under extreme emotional pressure at the time. Tina herself acknowledges that she hurt Seth, and so unintentionally helped push him to do what he did. And as for condemning Tina to suffering, by the time the transfer was being made the soldiers were already breaking through and would surely have killed Soran anyway even if Seth hadn't done so. The transfer wouldn't have gone smoothly in any case. It's pretty obvious that Seth/Thoma cares deeply for Tina/Helga, and vice versa, even if their relationship can't be one of reciprocal love.

You are almost done, don't forget to check out the Extended Ending, it's not included in episode 26 and it's very important.

What is this Extended Ending? I'm not sure if it's on my DVDs.

Edit: OK, I found it. It doesn't really add anything, but it's kind of sweet, especially
seeing Flo reunited with her father, given the earlier scene involving him.

Kabaneri 2

Absolutely. Glorious.

Aside from the jaw dropping art and animation, I absolutely love the sounds in the show. Every shot and slice have tremendous impact and you really feel it. Hearing steam and guns reloading or metal doors and cranks move is extremely satisfying.

Also helps that the two MC are pretty competent and get shit done.

I'm fully expecting a massive dip in quality but until then, this show fucking rules.

Bungou Stray Dogs 3

That was a legit shounen fight. Neat!

So was Akutagawa's namesake a murdering asshole in real life as well or are they just making him a brutal villain for the hell of it?

Bungou Stray Dogs 3

That was a legit shounen fight. Neat!

So was Akutagawa's namesake a murdering asshole in real life as well or are they just making him a brutal villain for the hell of it?

No, but

Wikipedia said:
Akutagawa had a highly publicized dispute with Jun'ichirō Tanizaki over the importance of structure versus lyricism in story. Akutagawa argued that structure, how the story was told, was more important than the content or plot of the story, whereas Tanizaki argued the opposite.

The Lost Village 4
CgsOWRwWYAApRZY.jpg

Mitsumune Speedstar scenes have the most refreshing and actually down to Earth dialogue among everyone,
and then how they both were thinking of each other and telling others of each other when they were separated
. Again it keeps things grounded while everyone is out saying some insane stuff (lovepons execute nonsense, purrsons shooting, etc).

Ending
giant mitsumune, what?

kewlmyc

The Lost Village 04

I'm actually starting to like this, at least for the mystery part of it. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed like a lot of anime mysteries tend to do.

ConRevo 16

This episode fell flat for me because this confirms it is going in the direction I hoped it wouldn't and is now a lesser show in my eyes because of it. Pretty disappointing.

Clov

Aniplex seems to have diverted the Q&A to be about some dub actors, cleverly dodging my Mushishi questions. I'll be back for the next one though!

Cornbread78

My Bride is a Mermaid ep.16
Yet another "transfer student" lol.... yeah, not so much. Good to see San can really weilding a sword to save the day, lol.

Futurecard Buddyfight: DDD (Triple D) Episode 4
CgsW4sAWIAE6GTX.jpg

Tasuku Ryuenji is too cool with his guns and then when the Crossnizing happened.
I wonder if it is possible to do all that damage in one turn IRL

BIG Z is next week!!!!!

Narag

ConRevo 16

This episode fell flat for me because this confirms it is going in the direction I hoped it wouldn't and is now a lesser show in my eyes because of it. Pretty disappointing.

It reaffirms the message of the last episode far more than confirms the future direction of the show. It also resonates with episode 9's message that these supposed gods amongst men can't solve all the world's issues because of this greater natural order that surpasses understanding. If anything, it's going to be as duckroll said and this culmination of humanity reaching for the stars to match this period of the Showa era.

Mailbox

Hundred episode 3

Okay, finals are behind me, and I’ve had a few days of rest, so let’s chip away at this piece of shit.

While I didn’t get to it in my previous episode assessments, let me just say that I absolutely hate the character designs of the Cat-girl (Her name is fucking Mai-mei… its like someone heard someone mispronounce meme and said “yeah that’s what we should call her”) and the Black Butler reject (Chris). They don’t fit, and the proportions are all weird on those two. Its very very jarring when they are on screen, but HAY we see them on screen together here! This episode doesn’t start off strong, lets just say that…
Anyway, we see a look at the first “Savage” other than the one in the flashback and its… lackluster to say the least. Kinda boring looking. Very generic, insect big-enemy looking creature. We see it clearly and then they change the camera angle for no discernible reason only to go “Its Huge! A Giant!” Well no shit. When was there a small savage? We’ve never seen one, how could we assume there would be small ones? Well, right after that we get a back and forth of characters going “you’re not going, yes we are” which doesn’t tell us anything about the characters. Its just fluff writing.

Then we get the opening. I must say, I actually like the OP in this show. The visuals... some of them could be better. That’s all I’ll really say about it. The scene after the OP isn’t bad, just mission exposition. We get into the actual battle. Defeating these “Savages” actually doesn’t look that hard, if the people fighting them weren’t so damn incompetent. Most of the issues arising from these fights seem to be incompetence or lack of contingent planning, which for a military-esque mission like this, is pitiful.

I’ll get back to that in a second, but let me just say that the exposition in this show is kinda bullshit WHILE its being demonstrated. “A Savage’s skin is said to be as strong as steel, but an attack from a Hundred can slice it like butter” is said just as a strong energy blast does nothing but break the glass-like weakest part of the savage (which is shielding the core… kind of a huge design error, eh?). We then see the green-haired side character pierce the core with a drill weapon (not quite like butter), and then immediately exclaim “Did you see that, Emile Crossforde?!” which made me question her sanity, intelligence, and the writing in general. Why does she say this? Emile is still on the plane, waiting to deploy. Sure she doesn’t like Emile, but just piercing a core like that isn’t very impressive. If she had done that single handed and the Savage wasn’t tied up and incapacitated, then sure go and gloat. But here it just looks really petty. Maybe that’s what they were going for, but I doubt that. I think the writers wanted to write her as “proud”. I didn’t get that here. This is only 7 minutes in.

Emile then pushes Hayato off before being clear for deployment and whatever, slight comedy and mid-air planning. Nothing offensive. But then we’re given a few shots that screw with the constancy of the toughness of the Savages. We see that Emile’s blasts do… nothing (I get that she’s putting up a smokescreen, but why?), then Hayato’s slash cracks the glass-like core shield, but then Emile slices off the Savages arm no problem. This begs the question, are slices stronger, or are blasts? Because Queen Drill’s blast decimated the shield, but left everything else without a scratch, but slashes seem to have the opposite effect. They seem to be have an easy time taking apart limbs, but have problems with the shield. Whatever, just something dumb I noticed.

We see that one of the side-character’s abilities (a poor man’s Chain Jail) is inconsistence in tying up enemies, and so shit hits the fan. Because of this, the 2 side characters are out of the fight and Queen Drills tries to use here supped up suit thing to finish the job. We then see that she doesn’t have enough energy because of the fight with Hayato in episode 2 (HOW WAS THIS NOT CHECKED PRIOR TO DEPLOYMENT?!). To be fair we do see that Savages do have the power to do strong energy blasts, so maybe they kind of are a threat… but still… We then see Hayato saving Queen Drills while grabbing her side boob, because why not. And Queen Drills falls more in love with him for saving her and princess caring her and side boob grabbing her because why the fuck not? Both Queen Drills and Hayato then shield from a blast from the Savage, and while this should have been kinda cool, I couldn’t help but wonder why the hell was he still carrying her? He had ample time to put her down. We’re halfway through the episode now, I’ll speed thing up now.
Emile ends up holding her own a little and then gets into danger. Hayato then remembers that Emile is really, wait for it, EMILIA (dun dun DUN!) who was the girl in the first part of episode 1 (not like anyone didn’t know at this point). How do they show that she’s a girl? By ripping her battle uniform to show side boob, of course! Hayato saves her, goes berserk like in episode 2. He goes nuts and is about to throw a red spirit ball until Emilia comes up and kisses him, which calms his shit down. She even gets some tongue in there. Hayato is now able to control his supped up form and defeats the savage (The “Hayato goes nuts to win” formula is very apparent here… I don’t expect that to change). Everything's over, Hayato is exhausted and Queen Drills is flustered over the kiss and the fact that Emilia is a girl. They return to Mother Base and Hayato and Emilia talk. Here we hear all the exposition: Hayato and Emilia are infected with the Savage virus which normally kills people, and if not makes them go nuts when close to death. The only way to stop them from going nuts close to death is through heavy training or through kissing someone whose virus isn’t active (because why not).

Narag proposed that this might be foreshadowing for Emilia to go nuts with no one able to help her, but that doesn’t hold water here. The only way for her to not get help is if Hayato also goes nuts at the same time. At that point everyone would be just fucked and honestly, that would be a LOT more interesting that what we have so far. Sort of a 2 lovers turned monsters destroying the world story. I’d actually enjoy it if that’s how they went, but that would be giving the writers and scenario builders way too much credit.

Well, after that whole shtick, we then get some hammy kissing romance BS from Hayato and Emilia as she “administrates her inactive virus” into him. At this point, we are 22 minute into the episode, the credits are about to roll, but 1 thing that I saw in pictures hasn’t happened yet. Suddenly, in the 11th hour, Queen Drills enters the room to see Emilia on top of Hayato (because why not), then Hayato tries to get up and trips on Emilia (because why not), and then lands on Queen Drills. Lips locked, boobs grabbed. Because, why the fuck not? Everyone’s slightly flustered and everything that you’d expect from an anime like this that would happen, happens. But we do get a good slight gag from the hall mates.

And that’s the episode. I promised a long write up, and here it is. Around 1300 words. Its good to be back.

4fd7dfe82a623286076bfd698ae134b8bae7110f_hq.gif

This anime is so shitty. I love it.

I'll talk about the other episodes I've watched since last week later.

Mayoiga 4

None of these 30 peoples standing around having a conversation scenes do anything for me. The show is a lot more interesting when it's not trying to cram in an interjection from every worthless character.

Mayoiga 4

None of these 30 peoples standing around having a conversation scenes do anything for me. The show is a lot more interesting when it's not trying to cram in an interjection from every worthless character.

Agreed. They could cut half the cast and replace them with clones of execution-tan and cat/gun girl

Cornbread78

Lost Village ep.4
Oh my. I guess things
are really getting started now, damn. We have giants and dead baby ghosts and so e enormous beast going after that group.
It's so crazy it's almost amazing, lol.

Gunbuster
For something produced in the 1980s, it's alright. It was kind of obsessed in trying to make everything enough sense with even little short episodes explaining concepts in the universe, but there were several instances where it just doesn't make actual sense not even before getting to Gunbuster. Like why would they use tiny electrified staves instead of energy guns. How can make something that not only compressed Jupiter's mass into the size of the moon but also pull it across the galaxy but not make another gunbuster in that time. Why are they trying to build my belief in this world and then try to suspend it the next moment?
Noriko is pretty unlikeable until she gets into Gunbuster. She is just so whiny and the show doesn't show her having any redeemable charasteristics until then. The other characters are also pretty bland. Kazumi has only the character traits of a mother-like character and liking the awful Coach. The Coach is just terrible. Jung started as a friendly rival but she just kind of fades into the background after Gunbuster is introduced.
The final episode turning black & white and lacking details and even had scenes of no real animation. Pretty cool except for when Noriko ripped open her shirt to take out the engine. The time dilation is actually pretty cool here in that it implies that humanity still remembers them even though Japanese seems to be a dead language by that point

Diebuster
Honestly much better than the original (even discounting the animation as Gunbuster was done 15 years earlier on much tighter budget) with characters with some depth, throwing away the time dilation and much of the pseudo science as well as most of the abject fanservice (save for the first and final episode).
It also builds itself effectively around the world of Gunbuster while still being distant enough to almost be a selfcontained story. It makes many callbacks including the space monsters and the busters but, has very little of the structure. While the males aren't great, the main cast doesn't really stay attached to them like in the original and romance subplot is very minor and dropped before the last couple of episodes. The relationship between Nono and Lal'C is an enjoyable one especially that finishing blow.
As for the animation, it was pretty damn good. Definitely got some Gurren Lagann feelings. The fight in the first episode really showed that it was going to be a completely different work and the space monster being in the old art style was a nice touch as well as the final scene being Gunbuster's final scene but from Earth's surface

Gunbuster
For something produced in the 1980s, it's alright. It was kind of obsessed in trying to make everything enough sense with even little short episodes explaining concepts in the universe, but there were several instances where it just doesn't make actual sense not even before getting to Gunbuster. Like why would they use tiny electrified staves instead of energy guns. How can make something that not only compressed Jupiter's mass into the size of the moon but also pull it across the galaxy but not make another gunbuster in that time. Why are they trying to build my belief in this world and then try to suspend it the next moment?

Noriko is pretty unlikeable until she gets into Gunbuster. She is just so whiny and the show doesn't show her having any redeemable charasteristics until then. The other characters are also pretty bland. Kazumi has only the character traits of a mother-like character and liking the awful Coach. The Coach is just terrible. Jung started as a friendly rival but she just kind of fades into the background after Gunbuster is introduced.
The final episode turning black & white and lacking details and even had scenes of no real animation. Pretty cool except for when Noriko ripped open her shirt to take out the engine. The time dilation is actually pretty cool here in that it implies that humanity still remembers them even though Japanese seems to be a dead language by that point

I will never understand this sentiment. The first three episodes of Gunbuster go to great lengths at describing just how harsh and dangerous the reality of fighting the space monsters are and just how painful time travel can be. And in the second episode this happens to Noriko just after she learns about her father's fate.

So what if she's acting "whiny"?. It's a normal freaking human reaction.

Episodes 4-6 of Gunbuster wouldn't be nearly as powerful or meaningful had it not been for how Noriko acted in the first three episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom