• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joker Game 3

Someone liked The Bourne Identity. I would have preferred it if the amnesia wasn't played painfully straight, but I actually ended up liking this episode. It was well made at least, having pretty sharp direction and nice animation. It also showed its short story roots by being successfully self-contained, even if it didn't bother to flesh out the French characters (which I doubt the original did either; the twists were textbook Christie-style writing of characters serving the plot). I'm in for more.

Gunbuster

For something produced in the 1980s, it's alright.

What is this nonsense?

kewlmyc

Mayoiga 04

This show rules. Legitimately great. Enjoyed the hell out of that cliffhanger.

AFWOU4Rl.png

Also badass.

Best girl.

ibyea

Banned
Joker Game 3

Someone liked The Bourne Identity. I would have preferred it if the amnesia wasn't played painfully straight, but I actually ended up liking this episode. It was well made at least, having pretty sharp direction and nice animation. It also showed its short story roots by being successfully self-contained, even if it didn't bother to flesh out the French characters (which I doubt the original did either; the twists were textbook Christie-style writing of characters serving the plot). I'm in for more.

Yay I am not alone.

Mayoiga 04

Some more of these dumbasses better start dropping because holy shit this group of people is the worst. MC better get fukken rekt by the end of this show because he is the worst of the bunch.

Why do these shows always depend on the group being the worst of humanity?

Lain

Kiznivers 1-2

Apart from liking the char design, I can't really say anything positive about this show. I dislike the premise and I dislike what's been shown so far, like the teachers, the annoying girl in charge, the interactions, the I know about you but I'm not gonna tell you except half tell it for the watchers thing.

ibyea

Banned
Lost Village: 4
I was like, "hmmm, this episode really reminds me of another show, what was it?"

Mayoiga 4

The Lost Village
is starting to sound like Lost, I hope it ends better

And heh, this post nails it.

While the characters are stupid and obnoxious and all that this episode was also weirdly competent at times considering how insane and stupid the other episodes were. Things got actually tense and creepy. It was sort of like a creepypasta legend kind of thing. It helps that this episode didn't go as overboard with the characters compared to before. That said the bar has been set so low that I guess my mind latched on to anything remotely competent, since there still are plenty of laughable moments.

Dresden

Kuromukuro - 3

Characters getting to breathe a little. I guess the next ep will have more of that fish out of the water stuff, which is predictable but also enjoyable in that expected way.

Mayoiga 04

Some more of these dumbasses better start dropping because holy shit this group of people is the worst. MC better get fukken rekt by the end of this show because he is the worst of the bunch.

Why do these shows always depend on the group being the worst of humanity?

Because a group of normal people wouldn't be stupid enough to go on "a tour to start a new life in a place that nobody even knew existed".

Narag

Sakamoto 2
Feels like some effort was made in adaptation as opposed to the episode 1 zero effort approach. I didn't realize how bad the volleyball gag dragged things down either until it was gone and a more traditional episode format was in place. Maybe there's hope for this yet.

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 04

I'm not sure if its the manga or not but I didn't really enjoy this as much as I've seen some other people. It looks great and the first person Zaku cut in the 1st episode was dope but they should've focused more on that and the Jazz and not the garbage character interactions and dialogue that make even the worst Gundam series look natural. It honestly just dragged the whole thing down for me.

I hope Crossbone isn't like this.

ibyea

Banned
Concrete Revolutio: 16
I checked to see if a winter olympics took place in Japan in Showa 47. It did indeed! And in the same city, Sapporo, as in the show too. Furthermore just as in the show, there were three skiers who got gold, silver, and bronze each. So yeah, interesting fact of the day.

This episode didn't reach the amazing height of the previous two episodes, but it was a great episode. Furthermore it was a great extension in terms of themes of the previous episode.

duckroll

Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt 04

I'm not sure if its the manga or not but I didn't really enjoy this as much as I've seen some other people. It looks great and the first person Zaku cut in the 1st episode was dope but they should've focused more on that and the Jazz and not the garbage character interactions and dialogue that make even the worst Gundam series look natural. It honestly just dragged the whole thing down for me.

I hope Crossbone isn't like this.

If you're hung up on the dialogue and the characters all being garbage people and the entire scenario being engineered to showcase how garbage people can fight garbage wars, there's no way to get over it unfortunately. That's just the sort of story Thunderbolt is. I don't really think there's anything more unnatural about it than any other UC Gundam series though. It's just that the tone here removes all filters and pretense of these being likeable people or their motivations being pure in any way. It's the worst of what war has to offer and in the end there is no real victory.

I will never understand this sentiment. The first three episodes of Gunbuster go to great lengths at describing just how harsh and dangerous the reality of fighting the space monsters are and just how painful time travel can be. And in the second episode this happens to Noriko just after she learns about her father's fate.

So what if she's acting "whiny"?. It's a normal freaking human reaction.

Episodes 4-6 of Gunbuster wouldn't be nearly as powerful or meaningful had it not been for how Noriko acted in the first three episodes.
I realized there clearly needed to be a transition and I'm not knocking it on that but it felt the need to rely on a protagonist that was useless and emotionally weak when there are other ways to make the transition effective. She also lacks depth in that she feels like if you made a generic girl protagonist. Before Gunbuster she can summed up as a stereotypical girl with some determination and afterwards, she is just more determined and brave now. She's effective as a symbol but not much more
Diebuster makes an effective transition using Lal'c feelings from after meeting Nono to seeing Nono take on the Space Monster to the final confrontation showing a range of emotions. It takes a lot more words to describe her and she effectively changes throughout the story.

What is this nonsense?

The 80s can be good but, the clearly some things like the uniforms and some undertones were on the wrong side of the 80s. The animation is pretty good, I was more knocking it on its plot and it being a product of its time in ways.

If you're hung up on the dialogue and the characters all being garbage people and the entire scenario being engineered to showcase how garbage people can fight garbage wars, there's no way to get over it unfortunately. That's just the sort of story Thunderbolt is. I don't really think there's anything more unnatural about it than any other UC Gundam series though. It's just that the tone here removes all filters and pretense of these being likeable people or their motivations being pure in any way. It's the worst of what war has to offer and in the end there is no real victory.

It feels like the worst of the UC Gundam character stuff without any of the positives. It has been a long time since I watched the UC Trilogy and CCA though. I like the premise and the amputee stuff but I don't think that's given enough room to breathe beyond just being there.

duckroll

It feels like the worst of the UC Gundam character stuff without any of the positives. It has been a long time since I watched the UC Trilogy and CCA though. I like the premise and the amputee stuff but I don't think that's given enough room to breathe beyond just being there.

Yes, it -is- the worst of UC Gundam character stuff. That's sort of the point. There aren't really any positives to the characters, but that very much depends on whether you need to not hate characters to enjoy a narrative. These are conceited, self-serving people who make bad decisions and then try to justify them in their own ways. There are no heroes and the entire conflict in the sector doesn't even have much of a point. I liked that!

pbayne

Gundam Thunderbolt 4

Huh they actually
let Zeon win? I thought it would draw/there are no winners type scenario.
I guess the main thing that drove the show was the rivalry between Daryl and Io and to the shows credit it did a great job of presenting them as polar opposites of each other and built up their final confrontation well. The final scene though, I admit i am just really sick of the "we're more similar than you think" trope.
I guess with that tease at the end the manga must go on? It would be interesting to see how they go from there considering the fights seemed so pointless and futile. Its like both sides were just throwing human sacrifices at each other.

Hamst3r

Eureka Seven - Finished this earlier today. It was okay. It's like everyone graduated with honors from Blame Everything On Yourself academy, with a masters in Not Talking Or Listening To Others. The reluctant and impulsive protagonist thing get old after a while. The trio of kids were also around way too much. Perhaps I got my hopes up a bit too much after the more surreal/intense parts of episode 12 and 20, and again with episode 44. I was ready for it to go there, but it never really did. It teased the darkness and never delivered it. And that ending felt insulting, like
the whole thing being Dewey's plan, the Nirvash suddenly talking, the heart on the moon, Renton and Eureka falling to earth and then...what?
Anyway, it was okay. If this was the good part though, I really don't need to watch the follow-ups.

JCG

Not surprisingly, nintendoman58 already said the gist of what I would have brought up about Gunbuster earlier.

Eureka Seven - Anyway, it was okay. If this was the good part though, I really don't need to watch the follow-ups.

Oh, you certainly don't. It's better for your mental health that way.

Probably wouldn't hurt quite as much if you didn't like the original show a lot though.

Ascheroth

Mayoiga #4

This was actualy legit tense and exciting towards the end. I'm also thinking
illusions or something, considering everyone is seeing (and maybe even hearing) different things? Rememer Maimai said it sounded like a person to her, and then she saw a giant Mitsumune. And Busdriver saw his dead daughter, which could mean that it has something to do with love/affection.
But who am I kidding, it's going to be something really dumb, lol.
The incompetence of everyone is so glorious.

Anyway,
Hyouketsu-kun
better not be dead!

Mayoiga 4

You know what would have been cool? If they killed like half the cast on their little expedition so there'd be more time to strengthen the absolutely worthless central characters. But no, they decide to drag it out by setting up stupid mysteries and a tension-sapping cliffhanger while the central cast remains worthless. And I guess we're all just going to ignore the crazy strangling girl because why not.

Another was a thousand times better by this point.

duckroll

LOST (village) - Episode 4

One of the best shows airing this season by a country mile. An abandoned unmarked middle of nowhere country mile. With bears. And ghosts.

The large cast of characters to bounce reactions off for every random little thing is what makes this show. Splitting them into two groups is a good idea too, since it restricts information flow to drive more ~drama~ down the line. There's a great sense of not knowing what will happen next, but whatever does happen always ends up being hilarious.

Mizushima direction + Okada emotions is a match made in hell... the hell we deserve. :D

Quasar

LOST (village) - Episode 4

One of the best shows airing this season by a country mile. An abandoned unmarked middle of nowhere country mile. With bears. And ghosts.

The large cast of characters to bounce reactions off for every random little thing is what makes this show. Splitting them into two groups is a good idea too, since it restricts information flow to drive more ~drama~ down the line. There's a great sense of not knowing what will happen next, but whatever does happen always ends up being hilarious.

Mizushima direction + Okada emotions is a match made in hell... the hell we deserve. :D

I am liking it. Still liking Macross and Flying Witch more though. Very lost like...at least based on my vague memory (which given I bailed after 2-3 seasons is pretty lited).

And yeah, I like spitting them up.

Qurupeke

Mayoiga 4

Great episode. This was very intense and then such a weird cliffhanger.
Considering that Mai Mai is a tsundere to Mitsumune and the driver's daughter appeared, I wonder if something you like manifests on these mountains, but different. Or it could just be a wild, giant Mitsumune.Also, RIP Hoketsu kun.
Next episode can't come soon enough!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom