• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fantastic Children 23

The simplistically textured CG that has become more prevalent these past few episodes, though still inconsistently applied, really does not look good. I guess the production ran out of time to keep all the mechanical objects 2D.

While this series has been good about building up slow atmosphere, when events get more heated and immediately intense, such as the midseries climax with Kirchner or the finale happening now, the direction can be a bit sluggish. The repeated cuts between inside and outside the jettisoned section of the spaceship plummeting into the ocean started to make it feel like that longest fall ever in that one episode of Noragami, only without the comedic self-awareness. Lingering on startled faces works in some cases, but in others I really feel like people should be reacting more quickly. Still, Gherta's realization was cathartic, even if it took up less time than I expected in an episode named after her, and it looks like Thoma will be having his next episode.

Gvitor

Titan of the Iron Fortress 02

This is such a beautiful show. The MC saying he'd save them all and laugh from the afterlife that everyone got saved by a kabane was pretty good.

So I'm now fully caught up with the My Hero Academia manga.

Current thoughts:

tumblr_mynr34DRlu1rqfhi2o1_250.gif

Why must the anime only be 13 episodes.

Gvitor

Because there's apparently not enough anime in this season...

Ping-Pong 01

This is the greatest thing I've ever watched.

Fantastic Children 24

Wait a second.
You can't have young Soran look and sound exactly like Thoma, and then turn around and say that Thoma's actually the reincarnation of Seth. That's just being deliberately deceptive!

But man, the universe in Fantastic Children sure is cruel.
First Seth watches Tina suffer and ignore him on Greecia, then he's brought back as Thoma on Earth just so he can watch her suffer and ignore him all over again. What a life!

JCG

So, RightStuf's new e-mail revealed what their best-selling anime has been so far this year!

Some of these aren't really surprising (Eva, Death Note). Others are a little more; I'm definitely surprised that Zeta Gundam is doing so well! Judging by the upcoming ZZ BDs, it seems as though Sunrise and RightStuf's releases of the series have been successful enough to get other big entries on BD.

Another surprise for me is Higurashi, since it did very poorly for both Geneon and Funimation when it originally released (in both volumes and the complete series edition). Not sure what happened there.

I certainly can't complain about Gundam doing well, although Zeta wouldn't be a priority purchase for me right now. Higurashi is presumably a case of accumulated demand. That said, this is likely one of those sales rankings where the gap between positions is rather significant.

They could have at least made it 2-cour to end it with the sports festival arc!

The Nichigo timeslot My Hero Academia is running on is in a bind right now since Iron-Blooded Orphans needs to come back on it in the fall, and the TBS producers must have also wanted to get in some Arslan and Seven Deadly Sins before that happened. As it turns out, My Hero Academia is shaping up to be possibly the lowest rated show ever to air in the timeslot, so TBS won't have much motivation to fund more of it.

Thankfully smarter plans were made.

I don't know.
Deku's fight with Todoroki in the tournament IMO would have been a much better way to end the first season than the Villain Invasion arc.

I think it'd be a much more hype way to leave things off before taking a break for season 2.

So, RightStuf's new e-mail revealed what their best-selling anime has been so far this year!

Some of these aren't really surprising (Eva, Death Note). Others are a little more; I'm definitely surprised that Zeta Gundam is doing so well! Judging by the upcoming ZZ BDs, it seems as though Sunrise and RightStuf's releases of the series have been successful enough to get other big entries on BD.

Another surprise for me is Higurashi, since it did very poorly for both Geneon and Funimation when it originally released (in both volumes and the complete series edition). Not sure what happened there.

Ladies Versus Butlers' performance must explain why Media Blasters is still hanging around, and why they're releasing more titles on BD lately.

I guess people that complain about aniplex prices end up buying the animes anyways.

The Nichigo timeslot My Hero Academia is running on is in a bind right now since Iron-Blooded Orphans needs to come back on it in the fall, and the TBS producers must have also wanted to get in some Arslan and Seven Deadly Sins before that happened. As it turns out, My Hero Academia is shaping up to be possibly the lowest rated show ever to air in the timeslot, so TBS won't have much motivation to fund more of it.

I refuse to believe that MHA will not get a second season sooner or later given how popular the manga is.

Shokugeki no Soma did horribly and that's getting a season 2 this summer!

I refuse to believe that MHA will not get a second season sooner or later given how popular the manga is.

Shokugeki no Soma did horribly and that's getting a season 2 this summer!

Shueisha might have motivation to fund more My Hero Academia anime if they think it will further promote the manga and help their bottom line. In that case, they may end up finding a late night timeslot to air it in instead.

Big Order 02

LOL WHAT AM I WATCHING THIS KID IS TOO MUCH BAHAHAHA. Sure, have this girl
forcibly be with him at all times and develop feelings for him, while staying a yandere
ahaha. Oh man this is so bad. So, so bad ahaha.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Terraformars REVENGE 4

So china brings out their B.O.W. and instantly raises the killcount multiplier by 2X. SSSensational!

Also, mhmm this ED. Woof

Clov

I guess people that complain about aniplex prices end up buying the animes anyways.

There's a reason Aniplex of America is still in business; their products sell! I'm sure the people who complain about their prices make good on their promises and don't buy their products, but in the end they simply don't matter. Aniplex produces a lot of popular stuff both in Japan and overseas, and the big fans of those works buy them up regardless of price.

Grexeno

Thankfully smarter plans were made.
No, their hand was forced due to timeslot issues.

Only people who haven't read the manga say they couldn't have made a 2-cour show, and they're always wrong. They would have if Arslan and Gunam weren't there first.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I wish we knew how Shueisha thinks, because Kingdom deserves its 3rd anime season, Bleach needs its continuation, Tokyo Ghoul needs its third anime, and Saiki Kusuo needs its anime :(

Bleach will probably need to finish before it gets a continuation. I mean it's sales haven't been great for a while Kubo's chapter pacing is the reason why the anime got into the mess it's in, probably want to ensure they won't be catching up with Kubo. this is all assuming they can even be bothered continuing the anime.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No, their hand was forced due to timeslot issues.

Only people who haven't read the manga say they couldn't have made a 2-cour show, and they're always wrong. They would have if Arslan and Gunam weren't there first.

As I understand it this isn't going to be the only season of MHA.

Fantastic Children 25

I had to laugh when Cooks stormed in, did the whole "Hands up, I'm a detective!" routine, and then got unceremoniously shoved aside like the clueless guy he is. Seems like his only purpose for being there was to get a gun into Dumas' hands.

There's a reason Aniplex of America is still in business; their products sell! I'm sure the people who complain about their prices make good on their promises and don't buy their products, but in the end they simply don't matter. Aniplex produces a lot of popular stuff both in Japan and overseas, and the big fans of those works buy them up regardless of price.

They need to treat my series better. So far Ive still only have three anime from them (BLue Exorcist, DRRR, and P3M), meanwhile the stuff Id buy if they released them in quality I want continues to grow

-BLast of Tempest - released as sub only dvd only ;/
-Mekaku City Actors - streaming only
-Day Break Illusion - streaming only
-Mahouka Koukou - sub only BD
-Valvrave - sub only

I can only pray God Eater is released. Charlotte too and Gunslinger Stratos.

Quasar

I'm kind of surprised everyone isnt like aniplex now given how its turned into a collectors market and everything being streamed.

Thoraxes

That's kinda how I see the people who shit on the PONYCAN.US releases too. It's clear that there's a dedicated group that will pay $10+ an episode on bluray.
They need to treat my series better. So far Ive still only have three anime from them (BLue Exorcist, DRRR, and P3M), meanwhile the stuff Id buy if they released them in quality I want continues to grow

-BLast of Tempest - released as sub only dvd only ;/
-Mekaku City Actors - streaming only
-Day Break Illusion - streaming only
-Mahouka Koukou - sub only BD
-Valvrave - sub only

I can only pray God Eater is released. Charlotte too and Gunslinger Stratos.

Reminds me I need to finish purchasing the rest of Mahouka.

Aki-at

D-Frag 4-5

So Sean Connery retired to become a Japanese school teacher huh? This show is a lot of laughs, loving it so much. Poor Kenji being forced to eat food off the floor haha.

JoJo: Diamond in Unbreakable - 4

I really was expecting the egg to save the day ha, another fine JoJo episode.

Narag

Danball Senki 38

Ban had his damn innocence stolen. Fight in this wasn't something plot relevant but was awesome nonetheless.

Cornbread78

Tsubasa Chronicle ep.1
latest

So I picked a random show off my "Plan to watch" list and this one hot pulled. I know absolutely nothing about it, but that was an interesting opening episode to start a season off with. They give you a little background info and boom, right into it... The immediate plot brought me right to Tales of Hearts/ Symphonia, but we'll see what happens. Does anyone know what to expect with this one? Is it any good?

Sterok

Ojamajo Doremi 13

Doremi is really freaking out over tests. She's in for an uphill battle later in life. Shining glasses Hadzuki is a beast. Aiko however is the true genius, seeing the examiners' plan coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom