• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT| Get a Season So Complicated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tanaka 3

I can't disagree of being so full you're sleepy AF.

Also LMAO at the board game against the bully. This show really does shine when they bring in a third character to balance stuff out with the rest of the cast.

edit: also it seems to be like it'll be a running joke that whenever the class president appears the camera and show just focuses on her or some shit.

Haifuri 03

dZElngi.jpg
B7NojCG.jpg
Best anti-submarine battle in the history of anime.

e_i

HaiFuri episode 3

Dirty boys, how dare you dirty up my all girls battleship waifu anime.
Mmmmm, striped high-thighs

Sterok

Kiznaiver 3

Tenga and Nico are the best. Not the first reaction I'd expect from all that pain.

Hai-Furi 3

Supplies are going to be their biggest problem. If they can't dock they can't get more arms or food. Sub battles are very tricky. Wonder what the logic of them being all boys is. German girl's name is way too long.

Narag

Danball Senki 44

Show ended up being this wonderful super robot complement to what GBF brought later. In fact, it's actually a super robot show in disguise despite how it begins. I'll probably make a better case for this all later but the show delivered in ways I couldn't have expected.

Danball Senki 44

Show ended up being this wonderful super robot complement to what GBF brought later. In fact, it's actually a super robot show in disguise despite how it begins. I'll probably make a better case for this all later but the show delivered in ways I couldn't have expected.

The game opening made its super robot nature clear upfront.

So does anyone listen to a ton of Jpop, anime stuff due to watching a lot of anime? It seems to have taken over what I used to listen to. I have like a 300 song playlist with OP, ED, instrumentals and it just gets bigger each season :v

pbayne

Kiznaiver 3

The rest of the cast need to step their game up. Nico and Tenga carry the show at the minute.
Glasses girl debunking last weeks cliff-hanger felt a bit cheap but there definitely is something more to that to be revealed. I guess she could have just been lieing.
That ending...was not very subtle lol.

phaze

Sakamoto 02

Continues to be painfully unfunny. Dropped.

Ghost Attorney 04
1jdj5t.gif

I was supposed to leave it after last week but I wanted to see this case resolved. And I'm really glad I did cause this outside of the other nonsense, this episode had a literal ghost taking over a body of living person and asspulling a resolution to a 2 episode long case. 12/10 you can't make this up.

Also, dropped for good hopefully.

Tanaka-kun 03
This show would be better if they erased Ohta and Tanaka and just focused on the rest of cast. I like the newest arrival and her interactions with Miyano but that's still not enough to make me put up with Tanaka&Ohta's dullness. Dropped for now, might return at some point later.

The animation in the Ace Attorney anime is so consistently bad I love it

That is supposed to be this head shake:

y639jE0.gif

No no no no no.

Ace Attorney 4

No Turnabout Sisters theme. No Turnabout Sisters theme. No Turnabout Sisters theme.
I was willing to tolerate a lot of the bad moments if I could at least get some good music remixes out of it, but this is disappointing.

This adaptation is turning out to be a bigger disaster than I thought it would be.

Not having the Cornered theme was bad enough, but now a line has been crossed.

Play the games instead folks.

Ascheroth

So does anyone listen to a ton of Jpop, anime stuff due to watching a lot of anime? It seems to have taken over what I used to listen to. I have like a 300 song playlist with OP, ED, instrumentals and it just gets bigger each season :v

Yep. Anime has a lot of awesome music. OPs, EDs, instrumentals, soundtracks..

"What is the most German name we can think of"

Well, every name is related to the Kaiserliche Marine, while Wilhemina is the female version of the name Wilhelm - the German Kaiser.

Afterall WWII didn't happen, the Great War didn't happen. There are no planes but they are still using zeppelins.
Lore deeper than the one of the Dark Souls series.

phaze

Kiznaiver 03

Please someone confirm that there's loads of quality in this show. No one seems to mention it and it's making me feel like I'm going full Nico.

----

But other than that, this is honestly my AOTS so far. It thankfully doesn't take itself too seriously(and when it does it has yet too descend into territories where it would bother me), has a funny and likeable cast of characters - Tenga and Nico are indeed the comedic highlights but I like pretty much everyone as of now. Their dialogue and interactions are a joy to see. And that ending
KuGsj.gif
Forgive me Trigger&Okada for daring to doubt you.

Hai Furi Ep 3

The realest war anime.

Another great fight mixed with more crew building and the new german cew member Winner Brown Sugar Ingemar is to be our hyper-competent transfer student. No cliff hanger this week which makes a nice change but I feel the plot is starting to close in. I particularly appreciated that they used the real life limitations of a Japanese destroyer in the ASW role to set up a scene when
the I201 gets the jump on the Harekaze to fire it's final brace of torpedoes.

They take the time to establish that they can't track the I201 while moving at any speed faster than slow ahead but they can't adopt the standard ASW pattern of dashing, coasting while listening, attacking, repeat as they only have 1 depth charge. Forced to run they can't track I201 allowing it to get close for a final brace of torpedoes (which the crew have been counting how many I201 had fired). Supplies and contemporary tech defined the fight and how it was fought, the circumstances of the final blow were silly (if vaguely plausible) but everything that led up to it was justified without the need for pseudo-science or 'just because' in service to the plot.

It was attention to the detail of the tanks and their limitations that was part of what made me like Girls und Panzer so much and it's even more central here. This is what I like in this kind of 'cute girls do military stuff' show and a big part of why I can't get on with some others.

pbayne

Texhnolyze 9-10

56aIoJs.png

This guy in two words: Fucking scary.

Feels like the end of an arc and surprisingly Ichise, the MC, is amazingly detached from almost the entire main plot of the show. If anything Yoshii has dominated the show so far. The fact that's he's an "outsider" of the city instantly marks him as special and he works well as an agent of change. I wonder why exactly he did the things he did? I get that he was tired of the city people living stagnant, repressed existences but its still unclear what he stood gain from his actions?

phaze

Texhnolyze 9-10

56aIoJs.png

This guy in two words: Fucking scary.

Feels like the end of an arc and surprisingly Ichise, the MC, is amazingly detached from almost the entire main plot of the show. If anything Yoshii has dominated the show so far. The fact that's he's an "outsider" of the city instantly marks him as special and he works well as an agent of change. I wonder why exactly he did the things he did? I get that he was tired of the city people living stagnant, repressed existences but its still unclear what he stood gain from his actions?

There will still a bit of light shed on his character further from where you're in.

Qurupeke

Kyousougiga 0-1
Alright, I'm not sure what episode 0 was but it was insane. I guess this was in media res, so things will become more lively soon. And some very good animation too. Episode 1 was kind of disappointing after that, but it was to be expected, as it just gave some context to the narrative.

Anyway, great characters, cool setting, good action, stunning visuals... I think I'll like it. And there are black rabbits to this show too, I'll take this as a good sign.

jonjonaug

Cyborg 009 vs Devilman 1-3: My thirst for more Devilman anime hasn't been this strong since I watched the second OVA like ten years ago. The fights that had Devilman in them were some real excellent stuff, some of the best I've seen in years. 009 cast was in it too I guess.

Kyousougiga 0-1
Alright, I'm not sure what episode 0 was but it was insane. I guess this was in media res, so things will become more lively soon. And some very good animation too. Episode 1 was kind of disappointing after that, but it was to be expected, as it just gave some context to the narrative.

Anyway, great characters, cool setting, good action, stunning visuals... I think I'll like it. And there are black rabbits to this show too, I'll take this as a good sign.

Episode 0 is actually the original pilot ONA from 2011. It's more like a proof of concept and doesn't directly fit into the continuity of the TV show proper.

pbayne

There will still a bit of light shed on his character further from where you're in.

Thats good to know. Its obvious he had some kind of personal grudge against Oshino as well, so i wonder what the reason for that was.
Its odd that
Ichise was the one to finally stop him when he had no real stake or reason to(though i think thats maybe what I thought that he is also a character with the ability to break out and "change" things). I guess he might have felt indebted to Oshino but eh...its hard to really understand a reactionary character like Ichise.

Despite the quantity of quality shows, there are still a lot of anime ass anime shows this season.

I just watched the most recent episode of The Asterisk War, because I heard it had some impact frames. (I like impact frames. It's fine. It's not a problem.)

I shouldn't be surprised, but that was some anime ass anime right there.

phaze

Thats good to know. Its obvious he had some kind of personal grudge against Oshino as well, so i wonder what the reason for that was.
Its odd that
Ichise was the one to finally stop him when he had no real stake or reason to. I guess he might have felt indebted to Oshino but eh...its hard to really understand a reactionary character like Ichise.

Ichise really likes punching things and Yoshii happened to be in near vicinity.
I don't actually remember enough to make head of tails of that situation now, though I think I recall being a bit puzzled as well.
Curious how you will react to some things at the beginning and middle of the next arc.

I've come to just avoid anything that has an LN source with 1 guy and multiple girls as the main characters. Life is much better that way. If I do watch a show like that, it's because it gets universal praise (ie Konosuba).

So Re:Zero, Asterisk War, and Hundred all go on my "avoid like the plague" list for the season.

A wise rule but Re:Zero is actually pretty decent so far and I usually avoid or immediately drop things of its ilk. It's been getting quite a bit of recognition I think so at least keep it on your radar for a bit.

kewlmyc

Despite the quantity of quality shows, there are still a lot of anime ass anime shows this season.

I just watched the most recent episode of The Asterisk War, because I heard it had some impact frames. (I like impact frames. It's fine. It's not a problem.)

I shouldn't be surprised, but that was some anime ass anime right there.

I've come to just avoid anything that has an LN source with 1 guy and multiple girls as the main characters. Life is much better that way. If I do watch a show like that, it's because it gets universal praise (ie Konosuba).

So Re:Zero, Asterisk War, and Hundred all go on my "avoid like the plague" list for the season.

Mailbox

KIZNAIVER Episode 3

Okay, I think I'm liking this show more and more as the episodes progress.
The definitely use a lot of character tropes that I usually would either find annoying or just barely tolerable, but here I actually like these characters. Especially Nico. In other anime her kind of character would have drove me up a wall, but for some reason I adore her. Maybe its the fact that she's such a self conscientious kind of goofball that I can find her action endearing and not annoying.

The
paingasm
at the end was a fun surprise :p

The whole "they have to survive the summer" idea works well to make this a 12 episode anime. To add to the whole "survive" thing, I also decided to actually watch the ED instead of skipping it, and I'm gonna call it now:
One of the main male characters dies.

Really bizarre way of looking at things since Re:Zero has been legit good (last episode was great) so far.

Also, by doing that you miss some nice shows that play with the formula in nice ways, like Rakudai.

Eumi

Ok, so I really didn't like the first 2 episodes, but I think it was just I don't like how they introduced everyone. Now that's out of the way, this show is actually a lot of fun. Hopefully it can stay the course and not become super convoluted.

As a side note, I really hope we get a second ending featuring the guys. Like, the girls are fine but they've got nothing on the guys, so it almost feels like a waste to not focus on them. I need some sexy shots of the new guy.

kewlmyc

Really bizarre way of looking at things since Re:Zero has been legit good (last episode was great) so far.

Also, by doing that you miss some nice shows that play with the formula in nice ways, like Rakudai.

If Re:Zero keeps getting good word of mouth, I'll check it out. But yeah, I'm not really checking out Chivalry of a Failed Knight just because the main two characters get together.

Kiznaiver 03

This is my second most favourite show of the season so far, after Kabaneri. The characters are super interesting
LOL at the 7th dude though
, the show and animation is gorgeous, the plot and their interactions is intriguing and best of all: the funny moments are actually funny! I agree with those saying that Nico is pretty great. I usually hate these character archetypes in anime, but put together it makes for a lot of fun. Also this show has my personal OP of the season, so there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom