• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Ok, Netflix will release first 13 episodes of Kuromukuro at July 4.
http://fightingfornippon.com/kuromukuro-has-netflix-date/
And
I talked with Netflix Support to confirm any further details on the subject and while they couldn’t specifically confirm the release format yet, they noted that

"-it’s very likely that the next episodes will continue to be added weekly right after they’re broadcasted on the channel!"
Let's hope it's real.

Btw they keep the toyama map in "o", that's pretty cool since they didn't ruin the title design.

Taruranto

Bartz of the New Sun
japanese_book_of_the_new_sun.jpg

Cool FFV spin-off?

So, my biggest disappointment of the season: My Hero Academia.

I was loving this show. I really was. First three episodes we're knocking it out of the park for me. It made me pick up the manga and catch up with the source material and I loved that too.

But of course, there were comments criticizing the show for its pacing, animation, characters, melodrama, etc. At first I just chalked it up as the usual hyperbolic statements (along with some good criticisms, don't get me wrong) but the more people defended against the criticism and the more people criticized it the more my enjoyment of the anime was slowly sucked out.

I stopped watching the show weekly and whenever I think about doing so again all the fighting I've seen in this thread just comes back to me. No matter how much I may enjoy the show in spite of whatever flaws it has I'm finding myself physically unable to feel good about enjoying it.

I watched that bit in episode 12 with All Might and it was fantastic to me. I loved it. But I can't feel good about that. Because the hatred, vitrol, and hyberbolic statements made in this thread over the course of the season is what I always end up thinking about at the end of the day regarding this show. "It's a boring waste of time", "If you don't like it you've watched too much anime to appreciate solid storytelling", "At this point it's legitimately bad", "what's with all the hyperbole", etc.

I wanted this show to be that show that anyone can look at and agree was all right. Obviously there'd be people who wouldn't like it and will voice their opinions on it and move on, but overall would still be enjoyed here. I know there's still a fair number of people in this thread that feels that way, but I just know that the instant someone makes another critcism on it is just going to spark another slapfight.

What should have been a show that gave us good feelings about ourselves only gave us people fighting, throwing labels on each other, calling people defensive, and just an overall sense of negativity regarding this show from both sides. It makes me unable to truly enjoy the show.

And I don't like how that feels. :(

So, my biggest disappointment of the season: My Hero Academia.

I was loving this show. I really was. First three episodes we're knocking it out of the park for me. It made me pick up the manga and catch up with the source material and I loved that too.

But of course, there were comments criticizing the show for its pacing, animation, characters, melodrama, etc. At first I just chalked it up as the usual hyperbolic statements (along with some good criticisms, don't get me wrong) but the more people defended against the criticism and the more people criticized it the more my enjoyment of the anime was slowly sucked out.

I stopped watching the show weekly and whenever I think about doing so again all the fighting I've seen in this thread just comes back to me. No matter how much I may enjoy the show in spite of whatever flaws it has I'm finding myself physically unable to feel good about enjoying it.

I watched that bit in episode 12 with All Might and it was fantastic to me. I loved it. But I can't feel good about that. Because the hatred, vitrol, and hyberbolic statements made in this thread over the course of the season is what I always end up thinking about at the end of the day regarding this show. "It's a boring waste of time", "If you don't like it you've watched too much anime to appreciate solid storytelling", "At this point it's legitimately bad", "what's with all the hyperbole", etc.

I wanted this show to be that show that anyone can look at and agree was all right. Obviously there'd be people who wouldn't like it and will voice their opinions on it and move on, but overall would still be enjoyed here. I know there's still a fair number of people in this thread that feels that way, but I just know that the instant someone makes another critcism on it is just going to spark another slapfight.

What should have been a show that gave us good feelings about ourselves only gave us people fighting, throwing labels on each other, calling people defensive, and just an overall sense of negativity regarding this show from both sides. It makes me unable to truly enjoy the show.

And I don't like how that feels. :(

I'm starting to feel you put too much emphasis over the opinions of others. If you really can't deal with negativity I'd suggest making an OT for the anime itself and sticking to discussing that show in there. More often than not the OT is much more positive than this thread.

One Punch Man wasn't particularly loved in this community but I knew they simply have no taste for sweet caped baldy, so I kept discussion in the OT which is almost unanimously positive outside except for the occasional sexualization/fan service argument.

sonicmj1

Mayoiga END

With this show finished, I'm reminded of what someone (Branduil?) said about Blood-C: The Last Dark. Blood-C was all about promising a "normal" supernatural action-show atmosphere before subverting it with horror. So how do you surprise people again? You create the promise of a horror atmosphere, and then deliver absolutely nothing.

Well played, Mizushima. I have been shown who is the boss.

Mayoiga END

With this show finished, I'm reminded of what someone (Branduil?) said about Blood-C: The Last Dark. Blood-C was all about promising a "normal" supernatural action-show atmosphere before subverting it with horror. So how do you surprise people again? You create the promise of a horror atmosphere, and then deliver absolutely nothing.

Well played, Mizushima. I have been shown who is the boss.

The show is so strangely/ineptly plotted that I could almost believe that this was the intent behind it.

Oh shit

Orange was always this highly rated Manga I always meant to read. Maybe I'll give it a go in Anime form and when it eventually doesn't end I'll go to the manga

My most disappointing show of the season, and I don't think I'm alone on this, is Kagewani II. The lazy writing, the boring monster designs, the sudden genre shift, the little aside episodes desperately trying to capture what made the first season great. The fact that it feels difficult to get through a 7 minute episode. Everything about it feels phoned in. It is almost impressive in how fast the quality drops from the first season. From now on, when you see someone starting to watch Kagewani, you tell them not to watch the sequel. You tell them to watch the first season, enjoy it, and stop.

Jintor

nintendo, dude, you gotta disconnect your own personal enjoyment of things from the opinions of others. if the world hated what i loved i would take their view into account and maybe it would force me to take a more critical eye over the work, but ultimately I am my own person and my tastes are my own and fuck everyone else into the sun.

jgminto

A lot of people on Twitter seem to love Mayoiga for whatever reason, so Mizushima did reach some kind of audience at least.
When the show focused on the interactions of the group, full of people whose only similarity is their unique social absurdities, it made for engaging interactions. I'd compare it to a show that's created for scenes of social unease but instead of unease, Mayoiga's clashes of ego are entirely absurd and stilted. You'd regularly have characters leading group conversations in completely unrelated or tonally clashing tangents which were compelling to watch. When it actually tried to focus on a specific plot and tone, pushing the enjoyable aspect of the show aside, it became much less interesting..

blurr

Out of the three I've watched I guess Kiznaiver was kind of disappointing for me, had a very interesting setting, fun set of characters but less than interesting drama. It wasn't disappointing to an extent that I regret picking it though, it had its moments.

nintendo, dude, you gotta disconnect your own personal enjoyment of things from the opinions of others. if the world hated what i loved i would take their view into account and maybe it would force me to take a more critical eye over the work, but ultimately I am my own person and my tastes are my own and fuck everyone else into the sun.

seriously, listen to this guy here

don't get worked up about cartoons themselves, value the experiences they give

Sölf

Is this the same kind of "censoring" that people rallied against for FE:Fates, or is it something that I should actually be worried about if I intend to get the game?

I think it's worse than Fate, because it makes like no sense. You get the "obvious" censores, like changing some revealing outfits. But it's not for all and only sometimes. Then you get stuff like aging the characters up by 1 year from 17 to 18 where Nintendo even changed voiced lines for that change. Then you have pictures changed because they show bikini models to show them in different outfits.

FluxWaveZ made a good post, that basically had all the know things from one thread in it. It won't completeyl destroy the game, but I have no idea WHO they actually want to make happy with these changes. And some of them look just bad, like this fucking wedding dress. That just simply looks lazy as hell and makes no sense. And since they didn't censor all, it all just seems completely random and unnecessary. I mean, why even age the characters up, if an outfit with cleavage gets censored anyway?

Jintor

nintendo censorship/localisation is really weird. personally i don't think it's worth the outrage (and it's definitely not worth the fucking stupid death threat/gg bullshit that comes with it) but they never really seem to apply it consistently or with some kind of throughline that makes any of it make sense

Gungrave 6

I think Brandon talked more in this episode than the entirety of the previous five. Impressive.

This episode was filled with the kind of pleasant scenes which help make me care about the characters. It's especially interesting to see Big Daddy be such a sympathetic figure. There was some subpar character art and animation (the fishing scene looked pretty wonky), but the editing in the party scene was effective.

Sölf;207871892 said:
I think it's worse than Fate, because it makes like no sense. You get the "obvious" censores, like changing some revealing outfits. But it's not for all and only sometimes. Then you get stuff like aging the characters up by 1 year from 17 to 18 where Nintendo even changed voiced lines for that change. Then you have pictures changed because they show bikini models to show them in different outfits.

I guess rerecording a couple Japanese lines is cheaper than recording an entire English dub, but I'm still surprised Nintendo of America bothered to go to so much trouble. It's really odd for a super-niche game that clearly isn't targeted at mainstream consumers.

Brought to us by the director of Terraformers and Texhnolyze :).

Hamasaki is a talented, if quirky, director, and he can do good work with the right material.

Sölf

nintendo censorship/localisation is really weird. personally i don't think it's worth the outrage (and it's definitely not worth the fucking stupid death threat/gg bullshit that comes with it) but they never really seem to apply it consistently or with some kind of throughline that makes any of it make sense

Yeah. And, well, the fact that Nintendo said that Atlus handles the whole thing. Which I just highly doubt, because they never touch any of their Persona or SMT games or whatever they release over here. Not even the ones on Nintendo Consoles, like Stella Glow. Which has characters looking like this (and she is awesome btw).

Wanderer5

Whenever I think about nintendo censorship to these type of games, this always come to mind.:p

18mh2vvu82yrtjpg.jpg

It funny and sad that it kind of worse lol.

Sölf

Whenever I think about nintendo censorship to these type of games, this always come to mind.:p

18mh2vvu82yrtjpg.jpg

It funny and sad that it kind of worse lol.

It's sad because we are basically back in the SNES era. Their censorship more or less completely disappeared after that, but came back with a vengeance in recent years.

Jintor

FE:F I see a reason for, but why censor SMT:#FE at all? It's not big enough to get mainstream attention and it's not lewd enough to get mainstream attention either

Wanderer5

I find it particularly funny that they are raising character ages, and yet all this censoring still lol. Just seems really pointless, especially for a very niche game like this.

And that wedding dress change lol. It not like her boobs are bursting out, but anyway (lol just notice the arms too, wth nintendo).

Aki-at

Oh wow Nintendo covered the arms in her wedding dress haha.

Is even skin bare arms too much for children to take these days.

Jintor

I would love to discover what the corporate mechanism for deciding on localisation changes is especially in regards to censorship. I don't believe Nintendo is deaf and dumb, but I do believe that once they've made a decision there's probably a corporate memo along the lines of "Don't contradict the party line or get bopped boi" so the inner workings can never be exposed.

blurr

Not entirely unrelated: I went through the localization specification document from a let's say "reputed" client for the game I'm working on, there is an insane amount of details and standards one has to follow right from the design phase. I am glad I am not working on the UI front very much although I might have to contribute to some of the text/writing (which I'm excited about though).

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Bakuon end
Today we learn that ye shall not disturb Jesus when he's buying a gravure magazine, else he slap you and throw you into another dimension. I also want to believe that Raimu manage to return Hane to normal world by having a Stand battle with Jesus off-screen. And then, everyone lives happily ever after.

Medetashi, medetashi.

When i first read the source, i thought it's going to be like K-ON!, but with bike instead of band. I was wrong. It started out normally enough, then it all changed with the existence of talking bike and Jesus. Yeah, the adaptation was mediocre, it's fun but not something that i will rewatch or anything. The anime also cut some of the best jokes from the manga (that part where they decide to do Mad Max drama was hilarious)

Beyond the Boundary 04

Labyrinth's concept was interesting if visually uninspired. Decent episode actually.

This show might hold my attention if the male characters weren't insufferable.

Quasar

Bakuon! 12 -
The return of Baita! Huzzah! What a vengeful God though

KumaMiko - End - A sad end, though I'm not sure they meant me to take it that way.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh wow Nintendo covered the arms in her wedding dress haha.

Is even skin bare arms too much for children to take these days.

The silly thing is, watch the Treehouse stream of this and there's loads of skin on show. One character even leans over to show off her cleavage! The changes are nonsensical.

Sölf;207872951 said:
It's sad because we are basically back in the SNES era. Their censorship more or less completely disappeared after that, but came back with a vengeance in recent years.
And yet you have people celebrating this step backwards because they get to 'stick it to the weebs'.

Jintor

Well when the censorship opposition basically conflates itself with or is overtaken by gg or associated elements, it's really easy to just react against that style of argument

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
One Punch Man wasn't particularly loved in this community but I knew they simply have no taste for sweet caped baldy, so I kept discussion in the OT which is almost unanimously positive outside except for the occasional sexualization/fan service argument.

Huh? I saw praise everywhere.

I actually enjoyed My Hero Academia. Didn't know anything about it going in and I don't really watch many shows if this ilk, so it scratched an itch. I know some people didn't like the pacing, but they seemed too focused on the number of episodes and how much story the show needed to cover. Since I don't know the story I simply took it as it came. There are no parts I want them to rush to like a lot of the detractors seem to.

Top Bottom