• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

phaze

Last time I'll ask this, but does anyone know of a good 12 episode "Let's Watch" candidate that we haven't discussed? It'seems impossible for everyone to agree, but there's gotta be something that could be fun/interesting that hasn't aired recently and available via legal streaming services.

House of Five Leaves
Aku no Hana
Hataraku Maou-sama

The latter two don't have cleat cut definitive endings but at least in the case of Maou, it being a comedy, it doesn't really detract from the show and from what i rwmwmber the end was pretty satisfying.

HoFL is great little show but i fear it's too mellow to warrant much of a reaction from the crowd. Maou has a potential to be crowdpleaser i'd say.

JulianImp

I would recommend trying Servant x Service as it have a legal streaming services (crunchyroll) and it's very short (13 episodes). Also, I never watch it yet but would like to go watch it as I just finish reading the manga. Would like if other people join me watching it.

That gif is probably not representative of the show as a whole, but boob-related gags are one of the anime trops I just can't stand at all.

I remember Ben-To being pretty fun, but I have no idea if and where it streams.

What in the world did I just watch? It was really weird, but not in a good way... at least that footage made it seem like a generic shonen battle show with a random and strange premise.

Wanderer5

Any impressions on Boy and the Beast? Thinking of renting it soon. Enjoyed both Summer Wars and Wolf Children (liking the latter more between the two).

javac

I still need to watch House of Five Leaves. Unrelated but...

I just found out that this is a thing. Oh man RIP my wallet.

Oniisama e... COMPLETE Blu-ray BOX
Release Date: October 4, 2016
Run Time: 997min
Audio: Japanese Linear PCM · Stereo
Subtitles: Japanese
Format: 5 Disc (Discs 1 to 4: 8 episodes each, Disc 5: 7 Episode + Bonus Footage recording) / Dual-layer (BD50GB Blu-ray)
Price:
BD @ Amazon.jp: ¥ 31,324 ($301)
wd1aLjk.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Pretty movie but it's one of Hosoda's weakest.

javac

Anime comes to the Wii U this week with Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE. Still not sure if I should keep my pre-order...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'd probably watch this show if catboi was the focus.
A grossly underserved market, to be sure.
Actas was paid upfront a flat fee for the animation, and they went over that amount during production of the film.

Yeah, I see now.

It's too bad. I'm sympathetic to the animators but the realities of the business are hard to ignore.

I only mention this because it aired around the same time as Aoi Hana, but I feel like history has shown that this is the better yuri anime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispered_Words

I mean Aoi Hana has the prestige, and the anime at least tries to be more satisfying than the manga, but it just wasn't as satisfying as Sasameki Koto.

I'm also reminded of that gif meme that 7th (who dat???) posted ages ago where the Sasameki Koto girls tell the Aoi Hana girls that they are better are being lesbians. lol

Of course if you've already seen it, it's kind of moot.

While I prefer Aoi Hana to it (even when that was ending right in the middle of nowhere) I really did enjoy Sasameki Koto, too. Even read the manga afterwards which was merely okay. I think the anime really benefits from strong direction.

And damn if it doesn't have some of the best Engrish in anime.

Hi guys,
I really need some recommendations.

I feel like there are a lot of classics I missed but also some new and popular shows that I've never heard of. So far my list is

Excellent-tier

Hajime no Ippo
Naruto
Berserk (Manga)
One Punch Man
Attack on Titan

Good-tier

Dragonball Z
Ace of Diamond
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note (Manga)
Golden Boy
The Vision of Escaflowne

I-didn't-enjoy-this-tier

No Game No Life

So this list should give you an idea of what I enjoy. The anime should have a deep, rich story preferably with some twists.
I also like lighthearted stories (but they shouldn't involve young girls with almost no clothes on).

So what can you highly suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Jex

If I've learned anything from this thread it's that the cat boy market is currently being grossly under-served.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I prefer Aoi Hana to it (even when that was ending right in the middle of nowhere) I really did enjoy Sasameki Koto, too. Even read the manga afterwards which was merely okay. I think the anime really benefits from strong direction.

And damn if it doesn't have some of the best Engrish in anime.

It's funny because the SK manga basically ended with a
gay wedding
, which is probably the most definitive ending for a yuri manga outside of the ones where they do a few extra pages showing the characters 10 years in the future.

Hi guys,

I feel like there are a lot of classics I missed but also some new and popular shows that I've never heard of. So far my list is

[snip]

So this list should give you an idea of what I enjoy. The anime should have a deep, rich story preferably with some twists.
I also like lighthearted stories (but they shouldn't involve young girls with almost no clothes on).

Thanks in advance!

That's a pretty broad question, but I can see the sort of shows you're likely to enjoy. I would recommend checking out the following:

Baccano
Blue Exorcist: The Movie
Code:Breaker
Dirty Pair
Fate/Zero
Fullmetal Alchemist 2003
Gankutsuou
Garo the Animation
Haikyuu
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure TV
Kaiji
Majin Bone
Skull Man
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Tsuritama

That should be enough for starters.

phaze

Hi guys,

Excellent-tier

Hajime no Ippo
Naruto
Berserk (Manga)
One Punch Man
Attack on Titan

Good-tier

Dragonball Z
Ace of Diamond
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note (Manga)
Golden Boy
The Vision of Escaflowne

I-didn't-enjoy-this-tier

No Game No Life

Thanks in advance!

Fate/Zero
Gurren Lagann
Full Metal Allchemist:Brotherhood
Katanagatari maybe (warning for loads of dialogue)
Kyousougiga

Cornbread78

So who would be in if we did Servant x Service or Hataraku Maou-sama (Devil is a Part Timer)?

One of those should work.. Number game now, lol.

Hi guys,

Excellent-tier

Hajime no Ippo
Naruto
Berserk (Manga)
One Punch Man
Attack on Titan

Good-tier

Dragonball Z
Ace of Diamond
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note (Manga)
Golden Boy
The Vision of Escaflowne

I-didn't-enjoy-this-tier

No Game No Life

Thanks in advance!
How long a series are you willing to sit through? If you can handle hundreds of episodes, I'd recommend One Piece and Gintama

Hi guys,

Excellent-tier

Hajime no Ippo
Naruto
Berserk (Manga)
One Punch Man
Attack on Titan

Good-tier

Dragonball Z
Ace of Diamond
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note (Manga)
Golden Boy
The Vision of Escaflowne

I-didn't-enjoy-this-tier

No Game No Life

Thanks in advance!

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Mobile Fighter G Gundam
Eureka Seven
Shin Mazinger Z

Ascheroth

Hi guys,

Excellent-tier

Hajime no Ippo
Naruto
Berserk (Manga)
One Punch Man
Attack on Titan

Good-tier

Dragonball Z
Ace of Diamond
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Death Note (Manga)
Golden Boy
The Vision of Escaflowne

I-didn't-enjoy-this-tier

No Game No Life

Thanks in advance!

Phew...

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
JoJo
Fate/Zero
Majin Bone
Danball Senki
Code Geass
Gintama
Haikyuu

for a start.

Wow so many quick replies. Thanks guys! Seems like I won't have much free time for the rest of my life. :p

How long a series are you willing to sit through? If you can handle hundreds of episodes, I'd recommend One Piece and Gintama

I actually forgot to add One Piece to my post. I enjoyed it a lot when I was younger but then it took some directions that I didn't like. I tried to watch it again a couple of years ago but it's nothing for me anymore, sadly.

Ascheroth

Wow so many quick replies. Thanks guys! Seems like I won't have much free time for the rest of my life. :p

I acutally forgot to add One Piece to my post. I enjoyed it a lot when I was younger but then it took some directions that I didn't like. I tried to watch it again a couple of years ago but it's nothing for me anymore, sadly.

One Piece was probably the anime that got me into watching anime. The german opening was the best.
But funnily enough I haven't watched it in ages and don't really feel the need to with how Toei apparently keeps dragging it. The manga is still worth it though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Man, Ristorante Paradiso is a neat show to watch too. Particularly if you have a thing for older Italian Men in glasses.

JulianImp

Half-priced bentos are serious business.

One Piece was probably the anime that got me into watching anime. The german opening was the best.
But funnily enough I haven't watched it in ages and don't really feel the need to with how Toei apparently keeps dragging it. The manga is still worth it though.

I stopped watching long-running series that haven't been concluded after getting completely burned out by Detective Conan. Stuff such as FMA:B and Space Brothers were fine because both had been completed a long time before I even got around to watching them.

As for manga, I did fill my luggage with ¥108 manga an LNs when I visited Japan for a reason, and it's that local releases take forever, are expensive and are also limited to extremely popular series, making them a no-go for me.

But we were talking about Sasameki Koto, which apparently was removed from CR's catalog a couple years ago. I can watch Aoi Hana eps with my premium CR subscription as long as I go through a VPN, but Sasameki Koto shows no episodes in its show summary page even when using one.

How about a Love Live watch, then everybody can catch up before the new generation of idol overlords ;p

But we were talking about Sasameki Koto, which apparently was removed from CR's catalog a couple years ago. I can watch Aoi Hana eps with my premium CR subscription as long as I go through a VPN, but Sasameki Koto shows no episodes in its show summary page even when using one.

Oh, ok. My bad.

John Blade

So who would be in if we did Servant x Service or Hataraku Maou-sama (Devil is a Part Timer)?

One of those should work.. Number game now, lol.

I would join you for the Servant x Service watch as I own the DVD but never have a chance to watch. Also, this is an easy watch based on what I read in the manga.

Hm, what's this show airing next season?

Looks pretty generic! What's it called?

Ange Verge? Well its got the name Ange in it so that's immediately a bad sign. Still, you never know.

What's it about?

ANN said:
The story of the Ange Vierge trading card game follows what happens when "Hairou" portals suddenly open, fusing three different worlds together. As a result, various mysterious "Exceed" powers are awakened in teenaged girls. An academy for these so-called "Progress" girls is built on the isolated Seiran Island in the Pacific.

Also sounds pretty generic!

Based off a trading card game? Huh, WIXOSS was also based off a trading card game. Oh dear...

Then again, I shouldn't judge a series pre-emptively on that basis alone. It might still be worthwhile!

Who's directing on it?

xjGDEcA.png

Hm, well. A directorial debut should be interesting. Well this show has set off a couple warning signals but it might turn out to be a decently fun magical girl battle show even if the PV looks like a LN show without a male MC. Perhaps I'll give it a shot-wait a minute...

5b6JRl0.png

Oh my. Well working on Aldnoah Zero isn't a good sign. I wonder what else he...

haf4I8s.jpg

Honey and Clover 3

I'm not sure if it was like this in the original manga or if this is a feature of the adaptation, but there's been a strange disconnect between each episode so far, where it feels like an indeterminate time has passed and character relationships have slightly altered without us seeing them. It makes it hard to get into the flow of the series. Also, the focus has felt divided between a lot of different characters, and because of that I feel like I don't have a good enough grasp of them individually or their relationships with each other to take the sudden romantic drama at the end of this episode seriously. I don't really know either of these women who are in semi-romantic relationships with Mayama; what am I supposed to feel when one of them completely breaks down in jealousy at the other? There's still attractive art and creative direction moments, but the second and third episodes have made it difficult for me to be invested in the show even after liking the first episode so much. There's just too much narrative weirdness going on.

Honestly, I fear watching this is dampening my enthusiasm for the upcoming March Comes in Like a Lion anime. Hopefully this series finds its footing soon, or perhaps this is just a flawed adaptation.

Sölf

What in the world did I just watch? It was really weird, but not in a good way... at least that footage made it seem like a generic shonen battle show with a random and strange premise.

Yes, that's pretty much it. I watched that because the premise was so stupid that I just HAD to watch it. But in the end, it's completely forgettable imo. It's one of those totally average shows.

Sölf

Anime comes to the Wii U this week with Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE. Still not sure if I should keep my pre-order...

I have it pre ordered and will play it, censored or not. Will post updates in here, because it's basically an anime anyway.

Cornbread78

Honey and Clover 3
Honestly, I fear watching this is dampening my enthusiasm for the upcoming March Comes in Like a Lion anime. Hopefully this series finds its footing soon, or perhaps this is just a flawed adaptation.

Add some sidestepping, backpeddling, lots of crying, and a a little bit of Friends and that's what you can expect through 2 seasons. You do learn a lot about the characters along the way, but the anime is a lot more about self discovery and personnal growth then the ships they dangle in front of you lead you to believe. Oh and a lot of drama/melodrama along the way.

Ascheroth

Sölf;207840641 said:
Yes, that's pretty much it. I watched that because the premise was so stupid that I just HAD to watch it. But in the end, it's completely forgettable imo. It's one of those totally average shows.

I don't know, I watched it 5 years ago and still remember it occasionally, so it had to do something right for me at least.
But to be fair, I remember nothing besides of the general premise and that it had some really cool action scenes despite (or because? xD) it's premise.

Fun fact: It's made by David Production before they made JoJo.

Line_HTX

Okada Gundam 03

That cold-blooded, glorious payback execution-style... So good.

Kudelia figeting like a tsun there, LOL

JulianImp

Hm, what's this show airing next season?

Looks pretty generic! What's it called?

Ange Verge? Well its got the name Ange in it so that's immediately a bad sign. Still, you never know.

What's it about?

Also sounds pretty generic!

Based off a trading card game? Huh, WIXOSS was also based off a trading card game. Oh dear...

Then again, I shouldn't judge a series pre-emptively on that basis alone. It might still be worthwhile!

Who's directing on it?

xjGDEcA.png

Hm, well. A directorial debut should be interesting. Well this show has set off a couple warning signals but it might turn out to be a decently fun magical girl battle show even if the PV looks like a LN show without a male MC. Perhaps I'll give it a shot-wait a minute...

5b6JRl0.png

Oh my. Well working on Aldnoah Zero isn't a good sign. I wonder what else he...

haf4I8s.jpg

That last image sums up my thought exactly. That story summary's straight out of a post someone made mocking the "one day <technobabble> appears and grants teenagers powers, so a school is built for them" in here, it's amazing!

OODA! Pursue your dreams and make more crappy anime!

Sölf;207840878 said:
I have it pre ordered and will play it, censored or not. Will post updates in here, because it's basically an anime anyway.

Is this the same kind of "censoring" that people rallied against for FE:Fates, or is it something that I should actually be worried about if I intend to get the game?

Wanderer5

Looks like Crunchyroll is going to reveal some of their simulcasts tomorrow. Looking forward to what they are going to have (beside Berserk which is already confirmed).

Cornbread78

Hundred-END
Well that was an interesting way to end the anime. At least it was at a good stopping get point and wasn't mid-arc or something super frustrating. Overall, the show was trash, but I'll put it under the "entertaing" trash category because the show managed to take your normal LN trash scenes and amplify them (see double boob grab/kiss to end an episode). We even had a effeminate boy/girl/princess
kissing scene
to end things on the perfect note..

Looks like Crunchyroll is going to reveal some of their simulcasts tomorrow. Looking forward to what they are going to have (beside Berserk which is already confirmed).

I'Lloyd make snow avatar bet with you that they get Rewrite and Planetarian as well.

Mob Psycho 100 will probably go to Funiversity

Orange probably to Crunchy

Quasar

I guess sequels to things they have plus adaptations of manga they have.

Top Bottom