• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Jintor

Hosanna being a pianist and Thoraxes uh, a conductor (?), they ended up appreciating the enormous attention to detail in this show so much, they almost died.

Oh god lol.

Been a while since I played my clarinet, through just wrapping episode 2 (lol!), I am already grinning so much.XD This is looking to be a lot of fun.

Edit: The memories already hit me by this in the opening alone:

Reeds! I kind of remembered that I ended up going up to hardness 5 (reeds have a scale of 1-5 from soft to hard) decently fast .XD

And course this has to be the first title card that comes up first.

Yea, Euphonium reminded me of school Piano club days - we, especially I was nowhere near professional but I was interested in the instrument. There was a band as well but it wasn't really a club.

yeah as a violinist/pianist I don't have a direct connection to band days (our orchestra was never as competitive as the jazz ensemble or the concert band) but the general feel of things is pretty similar.

Russ T

Banned
man anime really has warped some people's brains if they think that image looks lewd!!

edit: also as a high-school band member (trumpet!) i'll pitch into the consensus that sound! euphonium is really dang good

it brought back so many memories, in a good way

mmm can't wait for s2

Mailbox

Idk why I just get a weird vibe from that show, even knowing it doesn't do it on purpose. Single parent/teacher hanging out with a teenager girl/student on off hours... even with the little kid there, and no malicious intent from him and all, I can't be the only one being kind of put off by the premise right?

Well, I've seen some other comments about that elsewhere, so there might be some stuff going on.

I've been reading the manga (crunchyroll has a translated version via their manga service) and there really isn't any perverted or dumb shit in here. Its really about a single father who is trying to fill the hole in the family that was left by his wife dying by learning how to cook well. The highschool student's mom owns a restaurant (or was it a cafe) so the highschool student and the father learn to cook better together and learn to get through their problems as well.

outside of
her eventually developing a crush on him
, there is nothing else going on really.

This will be a wholesome anime.

goddamnit japan! please let it be wholesome

As wholesome as Usagi Drop :)

quaser pls

Its not the second half of Usagi Drop. Don't expect that kind of fuckery, or any fuckery what so ever.

outside of
her eventually developing a crush on him
, there is nothing else going on really.

This will be a wholesome anime.

Well, I mean, there's been people here that's been put off (at least slightly) from Non Non Biyori because of Hotaru so who knows

Jintor

i can't tell you how much i love food stuff in anime.

weird i haven't bothered to sit down and watch shoku yet. No shonen void in my heart right now. (Also I kind of honestly just want a straight up animated cooking show, but that probably has the marketability of a dead squid)

Mailbox

Well, I mean, there's been people here that's been put off (at least slightly) from Non Non Biyori because of Hotaru so who knows

Those people have problems.

i can't tell you how much i love food stuff in anime.

weird i haven't bothered to sit down and watch shoku yet. No shonen void in my heart right now. (Also I kind of honestly just want a straight up animated cooking show, but that probably has the marketability of a dead squid)

Half of each chapter of Amaama to Inazuma is basically a recipe guild (Edit: or should I say as close to a recipe guild as you can get in a manga without it getting boring). Unless they heavily cut that stuff from the anime, this might be as close as you get to a cooking show.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Terraformars REVENGE END

x38XszH.jpg

Meanwhile on neogaf...

Nothing but setup to the inevitable Season 3, where they crank it up to 13 and shit hits space.

Firemind

man anime really has warped some people's brains if they think that image looks lewd!!

edit: also as a high-school band member (trumpet!) i'll pitch into the consensus that sound! euphonium is really dang good

it brought back so many memories, in a good way

mmm can't wait for s2
yes please

let kyoani produce another entirely forgettable anime

Mailbox

Anne-Happy episodes 7-12(END)

I'm not gonna say this anime was bad, it really wasn't. However it was basically the epitome of disappointment. Through-out the entire series we are given slight glimps and hints at something maybe a little deeper. I remember people here thinking after a few episodes that we might get a School-live level twist or something sinister might be a foot, but nothing really ends up happening. All we end up knowing is that the teacher has some combat/ military training, and the school is wayyyy too well funded for what its doing. And the show acknowledges these things, but does nothing with them. Even that character whose face is hidden in the OP doesn't get properly revealed. It just feels like there was so much potential for interesting (if potentially dumb) ideas to have happen, but we get basically nothing but randomness and oddities.

Basically, if you don't wanna read the top paragraph: The dark undertones of the show go NOWHERE.

I also have issue with how, outside of Ren and Honoka, each character's "quirk" is just that. A quirk. Never expounded on. Its like you give characters traits where they can grow and have arcs and maybe make them quite interesting but, again, nothing comes about them. The whole "being in love with an illustration" thing? Nothing really changes. Getting lost? Nothing really changes. etc etc etc. The only character that seems to have any change with them (outside of some cliche tsundere stuff) is Hibari in how she see's herself. However, considering that Botan has a lot more self-hate issues that she does (and, of course, nothing about that changes as the series progresses), it feels kind of hollow as a result. Hibari's change in the series feels choppy, regardless. Rather than her gradually feeling more comfortable with herself its more just a few moments in the series where they kind of force her to see herself in a better light. Nothing really wrong with that, but considering the studio has so many opportunities to give good character development to these characters and chose not to... well... I guess I'm just kind of salty. I think more character development and maybe smarter character development would have been nice.

In the end it felt like the studio wanted to do something interesting and slightly out of left field here, but were stuck with what they had. And the show suffers for it.

I wouldn't recommend it. Watch School-live instead.

Euphonium is the savior from Chuunibyou though.
I will always maintain that Chuunibyou season 1 is legit good, and that season 2 is bad.

Cornbread78

Nijiiro Days ep.22-END
There has to be another season incoming down the road because they left everying inconclusive and that makes me slightly angry. These episodes were cutecand flew right by, but still, I want confirmed ships dammit!

Geist-

It was great in a bad way. It was a real painful episode to watch, but I think it's because they portrayed how pathetic he was really being. Him being a whiny/clingy person is what led to this last result. I don't know what I'd prefer at this point though, since it was a pretty brutal break-up, either Subaru killing himself to fix everything which would indicate he's a complete psychopath or just him wandering about. My real hope was that Purple Hair Knight would kill him, but alas, he did not get that escape. It even sounds like that's what Subaru was fishing for when he first woke up.

Can't wait to see where the show goes from here. Wasn't expecting this angle.
Ya, I heard the next arc was going to be brutal, but I didn't think they meant this kind of brutal.

Well thats one way to boost subs. Subscribe to binge or get spoiled.

I don't understand a concern about spoilers for an adaptation (where in this case the original manga is already on Crunchyroll for anyone who cares to read it). Unless you're worried about knowing what changes the anime may have made to the source material.

Aki-at

I will always maintain that Chuunibyou season 1 is legit good, and that season 2 is bad.

Feel exactly the same way, I honestly can't believe the direction they took season 2 in.

It's like all the stuff they pointed out that was immature in season one was suddenly fine in season two. Also changing Iishiki into a background character was a pretty bad idea.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.39
Oops, Scar wasn't being as much of a douche as I thought he was, but damn steep climb ahead of everyone here.

Feel exactly the same way, I honestly can't believe the direction they took season 2 in.

It's like all the stuff they pointed out that was immature in season one was suddenly fine in season two. Also changing Iishiki into a background character was a pretty bad idea.

The problem is that they railroaded all of the character development from S1 and tried to amplify it, but ended up trying too hard with all the misunderstandings and awkward crap. It ended up reducing the established couple back to friendzone for the most part. Because ya know, who wants to live in reality?

Yeah I agree, season 1 was really good. I was super hyped for season 2, but it was basically filler since nothing progressed overall. :/

Aki-at

The problem is that they railroaded all of the character development from S1 and tried to amplify it, but ended up trying too hard with all the misunderstandings and awkward crap. It ended up reducing the established couple back to friendzone for the most part. Because ya know, who wants to live in reality?

Yeah I agree, season 1 was really good. I was super hyped for season 2, but it was basically filler since nothing progressed overall. :/

Got to agree, nothing happened or character's regressed from their developments at the conclusion of season 1. And whilst I did like the odd few delusional fights, they really went overdrive into with it in season 2 and acted like it was acceptable rather than a way of dealing with someone's anxieties.

I assume it was already in the works to do more. That and I guess chuu2 developed from their novel contest thing or whatever.

Chuunibyou S1 was a major success in terms of disc sales, selling 15k per volume. The second season had a dropoff in sales, as is typical for sequels, selling only 7k per volume.

Of course, disc sales, while important, aren't everything when it comes to greenlighting sequels.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Knights of Sidonia - Episode 5

How can you say you love her if you won't drink her filtered pee?

Knights of Sidonia - Episode 6

The fuck was that ending lol.

Fireblend

Banned
Finished the shows I was watching this season except Kabaneri (I'm like 2 episodes behind on that one and not sure when I'll catch up. Not feeling it after the last couple or so).

Season Awards:

Best of Season: Kiznaiver
Best at replicating the feeling of taking your shoes off after work: Flying Witch
WTF that was awesome: Space Patrol Luluco
If only the pace picked up a bit it would have scored higher: My Hero Academia

Dropped hard: Mayoiga

Samurai Flamenco 6

At this point it feels like the story is rushing to hit certain narrative beats in order to evoke certain tokusatsu tropes. There's still some quirky humor I appreciate, but the whole thing is beginning to feel mechanical. I'm not really a fan of the Flamenco Girls, which puts a damper on any scene where they show up.

Still, the stationary weapon cache was amusing to see.

Samurai Flamenco 6

At this point it feels like the story is rushing to hit certain narrative beats in order to evoke certain tokusatsu tropes. There's still some quirky humor I appreciate, but the whole thing is beginning to feel mechanical. I'm not really a fan of the Flamenco Girls, which puts a damper on any scene where they show up.

Oh, don't worry. Don't worry at all

Samurai Flamenco 6

Neeeeeeext.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Samurai Flamenco 6

It will keep happening. Even when you least expect it... POW!

Samurai Flamenco 6

Oh you have NO idea of what's coming...

Top Bottom