• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Thoraxes

Man, what the fuck... Food Wars 2nd Plate will be 13 episodes...

>:T

They'd need more than another 13 episodes if they wanted to continue from where this upcoming season will end.

Cause the next arc after where this one will end is like a half-season or less worth of material, and the one after that is still on-going.

zulux21

They'd need more than another 13 episodes if they wanted to continue from where this upcoming season will end.

Cause the next arc after where this one will end is like a half-season or less worth of material, and the one after that is still on-going.

uh... there are two finished arcs after the tournament

the arc where he goes and works for french guy
then the festival arc.

though I suppose adapting the 44 or remaining tournament arc chapters to 13 eps is about right pacing wise as they were really drawn out in the manga and can be condensed to fit better via anime. but those chapters plus the other chapters from the other two finished arcs would have made a fine 24-26 episode season.

I wonder why it's only getting 13 more eps :/

perhaps it's a split cour or something as if I recall right the trailer showed off a bit of the arc after the tournament arc.

Mendrox

then the festival arc.

though I suppose adapting the 44 or remaining tournament arc chapters to 13 eps is about right pacing wise as they were really drawn out in the manga and can be condensed to fit better via anime. but those chapters plus the other chapters from the other two finished arcs would have made a fine 24-26 episode season.

perhaps it's a split cour or something as if I recall right the trailer showed off a bit of the arc after the tournament arc.

I also think that it will be split cour. Putting both arcs in one season would fuck the pacing up.

zulux21

I also think that it will be split cour. Putting both arcs in one season would fuck the pacing up.

just double checked PV2 doesn't show anything but PV1 from 54-60 seconds clearly shows the arc after the tournament.

though I suppose that could also be the very last scene from this season as a tease to go read the manga :/

Thoraxes

then the festival arc.

I know. I'm assuming this season will cover the end of the Autumn Elections and the
Stagiaire arc.

Yet again it's been a long time since I read the Autumn Election chapters that i'm probably forgetting how long that really was... My brain just kinda skipped towards the conclusion. Though the ending chapters of that arc were a little drawn out, imo.

The
festival
arc can't be that long, and then once we hit the current arc, well, it's probably going to go on for a looooong time.

Edit: Saw your other posts. Yeah, it's up in the air now. I could see it going both ways.

zulux21

I know. I'm assuming this season will cover the end of the Autumn Elections and the
Stagiaire arc.

Yet again it's been a long time since I read the Autumn Election chapters that i'm probably forgetting how long that really was... My brain just kinda skipped towards the conclusion. Though the ending chapters of that arc were a little drawn out, imo.

there is no way this season covers that much unless this is the last soma anime we are ever going to see.

even just finishing the election arc will have this season burning through the manga faster than last season, since the chapters were a bit drawn out it's doable, but some things will likely get cut doing so anyways (like megumi playing table tennis from last season :( ). doing the arc after that would likely result in horrible pacing.

I mean if it is a split cour the season could easily end in the middle of the election arc as there are plenty of stopping points you can end on if you have a split cour.

Really though I would have expected the rest of the arc to take 17-20 eps in general allowing them to do the arc after to finish off to 22-24 episodes.

given how they did the first season the whole thing just feels weird. they clearly adapted it to start with to pace well with the manga with breaks. Just like My hero academia did. it would be silly to come back with a second season and greatly increase the adaption rate.

The
festival
arc can't be that long, and then once we hit the current arc, well, it's probably going to go on for a looooong time.

Stagiaire Arc - 12 chapters
Moon Banquet Festival Arc -18 chapters.
current arc 37 chapters with at least another 20 to go if not more. though to be fair around where it currently is would be a fine stopping point for a season.

Chuunibyou S1 was a major success in terms of disc sales, selling 15k per volume. The second season had a dropoff in sales, as is typical for sequels, selling only 7k per volume.

Of course, disc sales, while important, aren't everything when it comes to greenlighting sequels.

Probably sold a lot of goods too since there's like a dozen Rikka figures.

Thoraxes

there is no way this season covers that much unless this is the last soma anime we are ever going to see.

even just finishing the election arc will have this season burning through the manga faster than last season, since the chapters were a bit drawn out it's doable, but some things will likely get cut doing so anyways (like megumi playing table tennis from last season :( ). doing the arc after that would likely result in horrible pacing.

I mean if it is a split cour the season could easily end in the middle of the election arc as there are plenty of stopping points you can end on if you have a split cour.

Really though I would have expected the rest of the arc to take 17-20 eps in general allowing them to do the arc after to finish off to 22-24 episodes.

given how they did the first season the whole thing just feels weird. they clearly adapted it to start with to pace well with the manga with breaks. Just like My hero academia did. it would be silly to come back with a second season and greatly increase the adaption rate.

Stagiaire Arc - 12 chapters
Moon Banquet Festival Arc -18 chapters.
current arc 37 chapters with at least another 20 to go if not more. though to be fair around where it currently is would be a fine stopping point for a season.

I guess it could go either way. Either this is the last season of anime they're going to do to get people to buy the manga, or there are plans in place to make it either a split-cour or to adapt the future volumes. I could see that shortest arc up there being only 3 episodes long given the content.

It'd be a lot nicer if they fleshed it out a little bit and let it all breathe though, for sure. I just have my expectations set low so I can be surprised if everything goes better than I expect it to!

zulux21

I guess it could go either way. Either this is the last season of anime they're going to do to get people to buy the manga, or there are plans in place to make it either a split-cour or to adapt the future volumes. I could see that shortest arc up there being only 3 episodes long given the content.

It'd be a lot nicer if they fleshed it out a little bit and let it all breathe though, for sure. I just have my expectations set low so I can be surprised if everything goes better than I expect it to!

they adapted 60 chapters to 24 episodes in the first season.

that is exactly 2.5 chapters per episode on average.

thus the arcs should be

election -17 to 18 episodes
Stagiaire Arc - 4 to 5 episodes
Moon Banquet Festival Arc - 7-8 episodes
current arc to a good stopping point 14-15 episodes.

If we assume a split cour of two 13 episodes we could see things sped up just a little to fit
election - 16
stagiarire - 4
festival - 6

and then the current arc could be adapted into a 13 episode cour stopping near where it is now, and then we will have to see where the next season would fit.

it's just in general the election in 13 doesn't make to much sense given the first season. but perhaps we will be shifting to a on a season off a season type deal and still get around 26 episodes a year.

no matter what though, I am sad this july season is only going to be 13 episodes.

ibyea

Banned
Mononoke: 10-12, end
Finally got around to finishing this. Bakeneko is definitely my favorite story of the show. Just wow at the well built mystery surrounding the death of the journalist and the people who screwed her over, either directly or by negligence.

ibyea

Banned
Joker Game: 5
And the show just continues its streak of being just underwhelming. Like literally nothing matters. Except for the first two episodes, each episode so far is just a vignette that says nothing about the whole spy thing except people do spy stuff. Seriously, does it get any better?

This episode is also funny because there is this guy who looks like an alien.

Moaradin

I really hope Soma doesn't feel super rushed. It's going to adapt the best material from the manga. Hopefully it's split cour or something.

Considering the teased
Azami
in the season 2 poster I have no idea how this'll work

Where is this? Haven't seen him in any of the promotional material.

Szadek

Joker Game: 5
And the show just continues its streak of being just underwhelming. Like literally nothing matters. Except for the first two episodes, each episode so far is just a vignette that says nothing about the whole spy thing except people do spy stuff. Seriously, does it get any better?

This episode is also funny because there is this guy who looks like an alien.
Not really. There are a few episodes with Yuuki that are slightly better, but it pretty much stays the same from now on.

I really hope Soma doesn't feel super rushed. It's going to adapt the best material from the manga. Hopefully it's split cour or something.

Yeh I really appreciated the pace of the first season. Hope they don't rush through the actual cooking in favor of the fairly average shounen aspects.

Busaiku

LatestBlu Ray and DVD charts.
Re:Zero, Kabaneri, and Flying Witch are doing worse than I thought.
Re:Zero's doing good, but I figured it and Konosuba would be swapped. Kananeri's still good too, but I guessed the initial volume at maybe 10k.
Thought Flying Witch would get that Aria crowd, but it looks like Aria got the Aria crowd.
Tanaka and Shonen Maid doing horribly, but I figured that'd be the case. Worse than Super Lovers is a travesty though.

Jintor

Tanaka-san -end-

Suitably listless.

Wonderful direction and gorgeous art but in line with its themes very much a slow Saturday afternoon lying on the couch listening to the crickets kind of anime (though somehow different to Flying Witch or Non Non Biyori). I liked it well enough.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ep.40
S1q4Yph.jpg
sSlGElR.jpg

OK, so there was some nice reveals in this one, but now I'm a little confused. If Edward and Al's
dad was he made into a homocculi before they were born, then how? He's a living philosopher stone? WTF!!
I guess there are some additional big things coming that will explain this more, but wow... I also wasn't expecting the meeting between him and Master, as well as his confession of that right on the spot.

Also, that conversation between Armstrong and Mustang was hilarious, I guess his wallet and nuts are tiny, lol. Good stuff that shows the gruff nature of the characters from their time in Ishbal

Zaptruder

Banned
Re:Zero episode 13:

I know a lot of people didn't like this episode and thought it didn't work with Subaru's character and that Subaru was a total dickwad, but I honestly think this episode fit. My only grip is how he acted in the hall felt a tad forced, but that ending actually made a lot of sense to me.

While I may not like it, I've lived around people who are quite emotionally impulsive and break fast when frustrated. That's what the ending of this episode felt like to me. Someone who was so frustrated and annoyed at his situation and couldn't think of a rational way out of his conversation and so impulsively hurt the person they were talking to. Considering how broken Subaru became last arc, how much work he had to do, and how little work ended up being seen by others, I fully get him being frustrated by events as they go. He had reprieve from pain for a very short time and the moment he becomes frustrated he explodes. He thinks he's better than he is, that he can out do anything because he has. He has had no long lasting effects for his actions yet. In the beginning we saw a smug Subaru taking everything way too lightly and getting fucked up back in episode 1A, and now that everything was smoothed out over the past 2 arcs, we have seen that Subaru return, but now he doesn't have any excuses to act that way, and so was punished.

This episode was all about showing that the Subaru outside of the hardworking, do it over until its right Subaru is an impulsive frustrated ass of a coward. This is particularly apparent when
he realizes he didn't die, and felt disappoint by that result.
It makes him human, but less likable.

I'm actually kind of glad they took this route. Hopefully he doesn't get off this scott-free. This way, we can see Subaru grow from the pain rather than just see him try and get though it.

In some ways, the shows quite clever, and this episode was the author making his intent clear about the underlying themes in the show.

On the other hand, it does the very dangerous thing of making the main character an unlikable asshole.

Not just a slow, overly loud and energetic bumbling goof, but just flat out moronic and weak and simpering. Gonna be hard to win us back. Is the show going to win us back? I fucking hope Emilia isn't supposed to be a symbolic surrogate for the audience - where once Subaru develops into who he wants to be, it's all forgiven and good and shit, because that would make me send razorblades to japan or something.

Russ T

Banned
yes please

let kyoani produce another entirely forgettable anime

i know they're like REALLY similar in spelling but i'd appreciate it if you gave me the benefit of the doubt

i didn't even WATCH myriad colors phantom world

i have SOME self-respect, after all

Anime gaf, is Fairy Tail any good?

Want to watch a new shounen but can't really choose. Gintama would be the natural choice but its just so damn big.

Cornbread78

Seisen Cerberus END:
owrbY4x.jpg

I still contend that this would have been one of the better shows this season if it had any kind of budget to worth with for character designs and animation. The ending was your typical hero fanfare with ass-pull happenings, but it was pretty well done even with the power of love
conquering all.
Well, Narag will be happy since his now adult looking mofu with a "smoking body" can now take on the world herself with her harem of soldiers in tow, lol.

Russ T

Banned

Want to watch a new shounen but can't really choose. Gintama would be the natural choice but its just so damn big.

if you choose fairy tail over basically any other long-running shounen series (except bleach??), you will live regret it

if you choose fairy tail over gintama you won't live long, but you'll definitely still regret it

Well, I wouldn't recommend Fairy Tail.

If you just can't stand the idea of starting Gintama, I would recommend the shorter options of Code:Breaker (13 episodes), Garo the Animation (24 episodes), or Majin Bone (52 episodes). While the latter two are not adaptations of shounen manga, they should still be appealing to people who like shounen action.

Cornbread78

I'm up to ep, 49 of Fairy Tail, but have been on hiatus for about 2 months now. I'm about to go back soon, but there are about 275 episodes to go through between Fairy Tail and Fairy Tail 2014.

I liked what I watched so far, but I can see where it can get repetitive, and yeah, Power of Friendship, blah, blah, blah...

It's harmless, but entertaining at the same time. However, complaints about it are valid; I'm just more forgiving at those shortcomings...

Szadek

That bad? Feck.

I suppose there's loads of filler that I would skip eheh. But I actually had the wrong idea that Gintama had much more eps than Fairy Tail.
Fairy Tail has 1 mini filler season (6 episodes long) and 2 normal filler season (around 24 episodes each).
If you skip them, there are still over 200 episodes left and the series isn't finished, just on a break.

Cornbread78

I forget, did you switch audios for Brotherhood?

I tried a few of the episodes dubbed and my mind was warped in mindfu(k trying to readjust what character was saying what, so I switched back....

Didn't sound bad though, jut I was in too deep to switch at that point.

It's reporting day dammit... Only a few thousand records to go through.. Ugghh

Top Bottom