• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Mailbox

Aaaaand there it is. At least it isn't the other way around but still, I knew they just had to throw something like that in there.

Its really not a negative. If you have worries, just read a few chapters of the manga.

I feel like you might be hoping for the worst with this one, when it doesn't deserve it.

Trust me, I know exactly what's coming.

Man, watching what went down in episode 7 back when the show was airing was legendary.

The show became a hilarious roller-coaster ride and I couldn't stop laughing at it.

At least when I finally watch Code Geass, it will be completely virgin territory for me..

WATCH IT ALREADY AND WITNESS THE GREAT THING THAT WOULD LATER GIVE SUNRISE TERRIBLE IDEAS.

Mokoi

Banned
Delta 13
27950437695_91709575e2_c.jpg
Well damm that was everything I wanted out of this ep and more. Delta has been a damm treat this season with all the elements of my fav shit. Mecha, idols, and some absurd shit. The vfs have been ace in designs, and the look of the protoculture ship is nice. Ragna has been an amazing location for this show. Mad props to the dude who I can't remember doing the art for it. Hayate has been a better mc for me over alto in frontier. There has not been a character even bouge who I necessarily disliked so far.

27950440325_b38b7ef28b_c.jpg
so good
I don't mind the romance aspect of macross as I am more found of the dope vfs. However, this episode was great in kind of moving it along. Hoping hayate and mirage become next Max/Milia. It's hard to deny how great of a character freyja is. Great episode with hopefully more good stuff coming. Expecting delta to team up with windermere near the end.

Its really not a negative. If you have worries, just read a few chapters of the manga.

I feel like you might be hoping for the worst with this one, when it doesn't deserve it.

Who knows, again I'll wait for reactions. I am not dying to watch this, and I have too much on my plate. Even if it does end up being a clean show, which is great, I am just not being pulled by it atm. Nothing is making me go "I MUST WATCH THIS". If people start saying positive things about it, sure I'll give it a shot!

i dont know what happens

Some things are better left unknown. In this case everyone should actually give the show a try, just to say they did at the very least.

KraytarJ

Re: Zero 13
This was probably the first episode so far that I'd say was outright bad. Subaru's actions feel almost unnecessarily stupid. I get the rewinds take a toll on him but the way he handled things in this episode seemed over the top even for him considering how badly he broke after seeming growing for the last few episodes and not having to deal with another rewind and without another one in sight (although interestingly another rewind seems like it would be of great help here even though it could have grave consequences on him psychologically).

Monogatari Second Season 01
I gotta say I wasn't expecting the series to leave Araragi's perspective seeing as how he was basically the only constant to this point with basically every other character appearing only when they were needed and after seeing her prologue arc I'm interested to see more of Hanekawa and especially her weird relationship with Senjoughara.

Sianos

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-Chan 2

Another cute episode. A bit out of season for a Christmas party right now, but I appreciate the break from the heat lately. I think there were a few awkward cuts since this episode played with chronology a bit, but it was still easy to tell the intended order of events after a moment. Definitely already a brisker pace than the first episode.

dac15_blush.gif

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
i dont know what happens

I'm not exaggerating when I say literally everything happens in SamFlam.

Don't you dare watch it before finishing SDF Macross and DYRL though.

Samurai Flamenco 7

And there it is.

You know, up until the final scene I would say this is probably my favorite episode of the show so far, because it goes back to the mundane character interactions I enjoyed in the opening couple episodes and even has some sincere low-key drama, exploring the human dimension of superheroes. The fantasy scenes featuring Masayoshi's grandfather were a good way of exploring their relationship.

Then the final scene just nonchalantly pulls that famous twist, with the hand of God reaching in and dragging the show into a new genre. Although knowing what was to come, it's easy to see how heavily the twist was foreshadowed throughout this episode - not the specific content, of course, but the fact that something had to change. When Masayoshi said "Is this the final episode?" that practically screamed something big was going to go down before the episode was over.

SamFlam has an enemy called like Domestic Violence that was like a angry house with arms and legs.

It's like they knew what type of shitty villain designs I wanted, and made exactly that lmao

Narag

Dear god, this episode was HYPE.

Hype is the only word that can describe that episode. Goddamn, that entire section where the OP was the insert song was amazing. And then when the fucking Elysion appeared.

Just wow.

woooooow the rune flash made me laugh but then it lead up to the hypest shit god damn.

Just caught up with it. That last episode was great.

Dat Macross. Dat dive. So much hype.

After that episode, no one can say it's not as good Frontier. This is better.

Delta 13

Well damm that was everything I wanted out of this ep and more. Delta has been a damm treat this season with all the elements of my fav shit. Mecha, idols, and some absurd shit. The vfs have been ace in designs, and the look of the protoculture ship is nice. Ragna has been an amazing location for this show. Mad props to the dude who I can't remember doing the art for it. Hayate has been a better mc for me over alto in frontier. There has not been a character even bouge who I necessarily disliked so far.

I don't mind the romance aspect of macross as I am more found of the dope vfs. However, this episode was great in kind of moving it along. Hoping hayate and mirage become next Max/Milia. It's hard to deny how great of a character freyja is. Great episode with hopefully more good stuff coming. Expecting delta to team up with windermere near the end.

Macross Δ 13

god bless macross

Macross Delta 13

Waited 13 episodes for the Elysion to do something. And goddamn, did it do something.

Macross Delta 13

Oh wow, all these songs. Hype

Mactoss Delta #13

Well that was awesome.

Macross Delta 13

Poor Heinz his time to shine always gets ruined.

Macross Delta 13 - What a epic midpoint episode. So Macrossy.

Macross Delta 13
Macross is still pretty great.

Macross Delta - 13

Holy shit!

Macross Delta 13

Wooooooow. That was great. Dat Macross.

The series has been really good.

Please ignore this post as I'm collecting these for an offsite project.

Samurai Flamenco 7

And there it is.

You know, up until the final scene I would say this is probably my favorite episode of the show so far, because it goes back to the mundane character interactions I enjoyed in the opening couple episodes and even has some sincere low-key drama, exploring the human dimension of superheroes. The fantasy scenes featuring Masayoshi's grandfather were a good way of exploring their relationship.

Then the final scene just nonchalantly pulls that famous twist, with the hand of God reaching in and dragging the show into a new genre. Although knowing what was to come, it's easy to see how heavily the twist was foreshadowed throughout this episode - not the specific content, of course, but the fact that something had to change. When Masayoshi said "Is this the final episode?" that practically screamed something big was going to go down before the episode was over.

And what we got was
A MAN TURNING INTO A GORILLA, COPS HEAD'S BEING CHOPPED OFF BY THE GUILLOTINE IN ITS STOMACH, BEFORE IT FALLS OFF A BUILDING ONTO A CAR, AND THEN EXPLODES.

I loved how, even though I was expecting something crazy to happen, it still managed to surprise me with just how over-the-top it was.

Narag

Cerberus 13 FIN

ugly af for the most part and kinda goofy at the beginning but it settles into a decent fantasy viewing experience. would watch again

Quasar

Delta 13

Whilst I'd still put it way down the list of my preferred Macross I am enjoying it quite a bit more lately. I still really think it suffers from having a group of singers, and not being a fan of freya hurts it for me too. Mirage needs more spotlight.

Instro

Samurai Flamenco 6

At this point it feels like the story is rushing to hit certain narrative beats in order to evoke certain tokusatsu tropes. There's still some quirky humor I appreciate, but the whole thing is beginning to feel mechanical. I'm not really a fan of the Flamenco Girls, which puts a damper on any scene where they show up.

Still, the stationary weapon cache was amusing to see.

I believe this was about where I dropped the show back when it was airing. Not necessarily intentional, I just couldn't be bothered to continue. Never really clicked with me.

netoge 12

Pretty much a sleeper hit for this season. Enjoyed it way more than what I thought I would. No time to watch flying witch and rezero, finish up concrete :'v

Mailbox

Re:Zero episode 13:

I know a lot of people didn't like this episode and thought it didn't work with Subaru's character and that Subaru was a total dickwad, but I honestly think this episode fit. My only grip is how he acted in the hall felt a tad forced, but that ending actually made a lot of sense to me.

While I may not like it, I've lived around people who are quite emotionally impulsive and break fast when frustrated. That's what the ending of this episode felt like to me. Someone who was so frustrated and annoyed at his situation and couldn't think of a rational way out of his conversation and so impulsively hurt the person they were talking to. Considering how broken Subaru became last arc, how much work he had to do, and how little work ended up being seen by others, I fully get him being frustrated by events as they go. He had reprieve from pain for a very short time and the moment he becomes frustrated he explodes. He thinks he's better than he is, that he can out do anything because he has. He has had no long lasting effects for his actions yet. In the beginning we saw a smug Subaru taking everything way too lightly and getting fucked up back in episode 1A, and now that everything was smoothed out over the past 2 arcs, we have seen that Subaru return, but now he doesn't have any excuses to act that way, and so was punished.

This episode was all about showing that the Subaru outside of the hardworking, do it over until its right Subaru is an impulsive frustrated ass of a coward. This is particularly apparent when
he realizes he didn't die, and felt disappoint by that result.
It makes him human, but less likable.

I'm actually kind of glad they took this route. Hopefully he doesn't get off this scott-free. This way, we can see Subaru grow from the pain rather than just see him try and get though it.

And what we got was
A MAN TURNING INTO A GORILLA, COPS HEAD'S BEING CHOPPED OFF BY THE GUILLOTINE IN ITS STOMACH, BEFORE IT FALLS OFF A BUILDING ONTO A CAR, AND THEN EXPLODES.

I loved how, even though I was expecting something crazy to happen, it still managed to surprise me with just how over-the-top it was.

For a series where the biggest violence up to now was a kick to the crotch,
slicing off a guy's head seems distastefully brutal.

Samurai Flamenco 7

And there it is.

I fairly liked the series up until this episode, mainly because of those mundane character interactions.

Afterwards it honestly became boring to me.

KraytarJ

I know a lot of people didn't like this episode and thought it didn't work with Subaru's character and that Subaru was a total dickwad, but I honestly think this episode fit. My only grip is how he acted in the hall felt a tad forced, but that ending actually made a lot of sense to me.

While I may not like it, I've lived around people who are quite emotionally impulsive and break fast when frustrated. That's what the ending of this episode felt like to me. Someone who was so frustrated and annoyed at his situation and couldn't think of a rational way out of his conversation and so impulsively hurt the person they were talking to. Considering how broken Subaru became last arc, how much work he had to do, and how little work ended up being seen by others, I fully get him being frustrated by events as they go. He had reprieve from pain for a very short time and the moment he becomes frustrated he explodes. He thinks he's better than he is, that he can out do anything because he has. He has had no long lasting effects for his actions yet. In the beginning we saw a smug Subaru taking everything way too lightly and getting fucked up back in episode 1A, and now that everything was smoothed out over the past 2 arcs, we have seen that Subaru return, but now he doesn't have any excuses to act that way, and so was punished.

This episode was all about showing that the Subaru outside of the hardworking, do it over until its right Subaru is an impulsive frustrated ass of a coward. This is particularly apparent when

I'm actually kind of glad they took this route. Hopefully he doesn't get off this scott-free. This way, we can see Subaru grow from the pain rather than just see him try and get though it.
I generally agree with you. The hall section is what really bugged me but how he acted toward Emilia at the end, and especially his speech at the end was perfect. It was too far, it was insanely narcissistic, but it felt perfect in that moment for a broken Subaru who was backed into a corner seeing his relationship with Emilia evaporating while he physically couldn't get out what he wanted to say to make things right to make a speech like that, decreeing his importance in the events of the current timeline. That moment gives me hope that this show still has it and this selection process arc (hopefully) won't just be a bunch of assholes and Emilia squabbling over ruling while Subaru loses it.

sonicmj1

Kiznaiver 1-4

While I'm willing to give a show's premise almost any amount of leeway, it's remarkable how much the plot of the first few episodes requires Sonozaki to babysit it in order to force the cast to stick together for more than five minutes.

The show certainly doesn't lack for style. The absolutely bizarre Gomorins, as well as liberal use of outsized cartoonish violence, feel like a Trigger hallmark, and establish a sense that anything is possible. But it's much more involved than their recent shortcut-filled wackiness. The harsh reds that pop up inside character flashbacks catch the viewer's eye, but for me, it's the high-contrast night-time lighting that gives the show more weight to me.

Kiznaiver-Season-2-Release-Date.jpg

I'm not sure if I describe it right when I say "high-contrast", but it feels like most shots in dark places have these strong light sources coming from low angles that make the characters really pop.

Anyway, I feel like Kiznaiver is starting to come into its own a bit more in the most recent episode I watched. As the cast divides into smaller conversations, they start revealing new dimensions of themselves, creating small "alliances", in a way. The second episode may be a kind of model for what's to come: despite all the animated insanity, everything is a set-up to force the cast to reveal their secrets to each other.

I feel like I can see Kanna Chidori's plot from a mile away at this point. It's rather unfair for a childhood friend to have to compete with the unbeatable forgotten childhood friend.

blurr

Has anyone watched this movie called "The Prophet"? it's a CG film mostly but it had these 2D animated sequences/shorts on various life advice that looked absolutely stunning, particularly there was one featuring a couple dancing while the choreography symbolized the highs and lows of marriage.

Re:Zero - episode 13

I like that the show doesn't usually let Subaru say "I'll be able to do this because I try my best!" and get away with it. Often he either gets ignored at or fails his first attempt(s). This time, he got insulted, and just got completely hot-headed about the whole thing. And the usual anime thing, where the respected warrior says "You think you can beat me?!", and then MC has some SSJ magic awakening pull a victory out at the last second. Instead, he gets into a fight over a stupid thing he said, fights like shit, and the entire reason he's able to take so much pain is for a stupid petty reason. Instead of rooting for the MC to overcome the odds, the entire time you're just going "No... Stop it... What are you doing?! Think of Emilia!"

So I like that twist, but I hope asshole Subaru doesn't last for too long. Hopefully he's able to fix his conversation with Emilia. I wonder when his last checkpoint was?

Yes, agree with everything you said.

Kiznaiver 1-4

While I'm willing to give a show's premise almost any amount of leeway, it's remarkable how much the plot of the first few episodes requires Sonozaki to babysit it in order to force the cast to stick together for more than five minutes.

The show certainly doesn't lack for style. The absolutely bizarre Gomorins, as well as liberal use of outsized cartoonish violence, feel like a Trigger hallmark, and establish a sense that anything is possible. But it's much more involved than their recent shortcut-filled wackiness. The harsh reds that pop up inside character flashbacks catch the viewer's eye, but for me, it's the high-contrast night-time lighting that gives the show more weight to me.

I think it's fair to say that, while regular Trigger animators such as Mai Yoneyama and Sushio give some of Kiznaiver's animation a certain quality associated with the studio, having someone outside the studio inner circle such as Hiroshi Kobayashi direct the show gives it its own visual personality that isn't really indebted to Imaishi.

Wanderer5

Lol there a light novel that is titled, "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka Isogashii desu ka Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?" that getting a anime adaption.

Holy crap that long name lol.

Mailbox

Lol there a light novel that is titled, "Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka Isogashii desu ka Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka?" that getting a anime adaption.

Holy crap that long name lol.

Kinda surprised there is a name longer than:
Yuusha ni Narenakatta Ore wa Shibushibu Shuushoku wo Ketsui Shimashita.

even if its only by 2 words

edit: just read the synopsis; its basically an all female (with a male lead) lead cast version of attack on titan.
edit2: it doesn't have an ecchi or harem tag attached to it on mal... I'll reserve judgement until further notice.

Jintor

edit: just read the synopsis; its basically an all female (with a male lead) lead cast version of attack on titan.
edit2: it doesn't have an ecchi or harem tag attached to it on mal... I'll reserve judgement until further notice.

goddamnit

soul eater is the only female lead shonen I can come up with off the top of my head and that was really more ensemble based

Mailbox

goddamnit

soul eater is the only female lead shonen I can come up with off the top of my head and that was really more ensemble based

All i can find out about it is that there is only 1 human alive (the male mc), (ignore what i said about a romance angle. still no harem funny stuff though) and its apparently quite an emotional and sad LN.

we'l really have to wait and see since we wont see shit from this until next year, probably.

Wanderer5

The group of girls are called Leprechauns lol.

So the english name is, "Do you have what THE END? Are you busy? Shall you save xxx?"

Okay sure fine whatever.

Mailbox

The group of girls are called Leprechauns lol.

So the english name is, "Do you have what THE END? Are you busy? Shall you save xxx?"

Okay sure fine whatever.

yep, sounds super dumb on its face. the name will 100% be changed to something else for english viewing.

Thoraxes

Hosanna being a pianist and Thoraxes uh, a conductor (?), they ended up appreciating the enormous attention to detail in this show so much, they almost died.

And I still have a few more writeups to go!

I have a master's in music composition, took 5 years of piano lessons, and performed solo, in orchestras, wind quintets, brass quintets, steel drum bands (on cello/tenor/double tenor/bass pans), and wind ensembles on Horn (that's French Horn) for about ~18 years now! I did study conducting for a couple years too!

I primarily just compose works for friends and ensembles at the moment. Even had an orchestra record one of my pieces!

blurr

goddamnit

that would be interesting but I don't think it will happen without diverting from a shounen demographic

Wanderer5

I need to get some impressions around still lol, but I just say that Ep 5 of Sound! Euphonium hit me so hard with nostalgia lol, since well it a marching episode.XD Remembered fondly of some of the football matches and a parade type thing for a event in my town when I was in the marching band for a year.

Also lol:

Top Bottom