• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

I saw this on twitter earlier, what exactly does it mean to be on the production committee? maybe my question ought to be more fundamental - what exactly is the production committee?

In simple terms, the production committee are the companies investing money into the creation of the anime. In return, they get a share of whatever revenue the anime makes (as well as a certain amount of creative control over the anime).

javac

Always like to read your post of anime I am interested in or already watch it. A very detail discussion. Keep doing it when you have the chance as I don't really post much when I do a quick impression now (mostly because the anime I am currently watching isn't much to discuss about except it's stupid fun).

For the discussion of this movie, like to hear about it as I did watch it this year and like it for what it's trying to do. Still a good movie to watch even with the flaws. The infamous scene have become a big discussion as whether or not it should have been use in the movie. When saw it for the 1st time watching the movie, seeing this incident feel odd to be in the movie and make the main character more as someone who somehow want to use his new power (or the power of been famous) to try to hurt other people below him. This is what it kinda feel and you can notice this feeling a bit of when the main character who become very popular just don't really know how to use it. Kinda drop into the spotlight without even getting ready for it.

It kinda sad it didn't have a proper conclusion for the female character after the incident and how it show after it like it's her fault when in reality it isn't. Need try to remember here as is been months I watch the movie, but the ending is where you see the main character ask for forgiveness for what the human society did and also for the sin he did with the female character. A ending where he meet her one last time at the same place after he come down to earth and tell he is sorry for the incident will have some ending of this odd but powerful sad scene.

Overall, you like the movie which is great as it's still one of the nice movie I have watch for a while. Might be interesting to see what other show or movie of anime you're going to watch now.

Thanks for the reply, your thoughts on the scene are very interesting and I agree with what you're saying. I actually find your comment on how the main character struggles with power to be really interesting too. Like I said in my review, the intentions of the scene are exactly what you describe, it's just the lack of following up on it that disappointed me on that front, although like you said the ending does try to bring it back around as a conclusion. I think my main issue was the scenes after the controversial scene is the huge tonal shift which makes the pacing from that scene onwards odd. Like you said, it's a great film and I did enjoy it a lot.

Good read, especially with the info concerning production.

I personally couldn't build up interest in the main character, his path and the story overall. I'm not completely sure why, as this kind of flawed character is someone I appreciate but most of his scenes, particularly the ones with Riquinni, felt too dull and drab to me. That 1-2 encounters with her would inspire him to have this major change of heart is kinda questionable, especially when all that holds up despite the continued struggles with this relation as well as his involvement with the space force. And yeh, the lack of proper followup to the
attempted rape
felt off. I didn't mid that they put that kind of scene in there to begin with and it could've been used to point out some more flawed thinking of Shirotsugh but instead they just kinda wash the issue aside.

There's much to the movie that I appreciated or could see being fond of but I was never invested and hence rather bored during most of it.

Thanks, I agree with your thoughts on the scene and how the inclusion isn't the issue but rather the lack of a follow up. The way in which it transitions from that to the next scene is really odd too but I can definitely see what they were going for. I can't find the interview right now but even the director himself stated that the scene didn't have the correct context in hindsight and as far as I'm aware the storyboards for that scene go in a different direction, not sure how different they play out for better or worse however but I'm interested in looking at more production materials and seeing early scripts and such down the road to get a better understanding. Like you said, the production was interesting to say the least as it was a very different time. I also understand your lack of empathy towards the main character. The film really throws you into the deep end at the start and kind of just flows from thereon out almost like a stream of consciousness of sorts. Things kind of just happen, not unlike the real world which is what they were going for but that does lead to cases where the audience doesn't get enough time to resonate with the cast. I get the impression that the main character wasn't made me be liked but rather to feel real if that makes sense?

JulianImp

I have to ask, I finished Big Order, which was just a big ball of insane, WTF and stupid, which is worse Big Order or Mayoiga? I have yet to watch Mayoiga and I'm asking if I should even start.

Big Order by far. Mayoiga just set us up for some horror but ended up as a whole load of nothing, while Big Order went in deep with constant edgy stuff, everybody and their mother screaming out HOSHIMIYA EIJI's name every other line, deus ex machina order fusions for stupid power-ups, Eiji getting the power to control God after getting his power limiter removed, and both Iyo and Sena (set-sister, so it's alright guys) sex scenes that weren't even there in the source material.

Basically, Mayoiga starts looking like it's going to be more Another, but then nobody freaking dies and it's all about coming to terms with your psychological scars and a huge cast that isn't developed in any meaningful way. If you've already watched Big Order then you might as well watch Mayoiga, but I'd rather not if I were you because it's a big waste of time for the most part. I'd rather recommend that you just go watch a show you know's decent from your backlog instead.

phaze

Star Driver 08
017339lbpj3.jpg
017341gdpka.jpg
017343z9py4.jpg
017336bvp94.jpg
Naruto vs Sasuke came much earlier than I was expecting.

Honestly, I'm somewhat impressed with how this show handled its story so far. More in the "i didn't expect anything so whatever I get is a bonus" but, while nothing quite extraordinary in its own right, the plot has been more edible than I expected. The concept of some of the protagonists, being, like prisoners, forever consigned to their stay on the island is fairly interesting one and I hope they can continue to exploit it. Despite that, I still can't say I care much for any of the characters yet but this latest, surprise mini arc came some way towards achieving that. On top of consistently good/great animation for the fight sequences, there exists a visible effort in breaking the monotony of the usual pattern of the duels, which I of course applaud as it makes the job of shoving MotW episodes down my throat much easier.

Peco

In sobering industry news, the animation studio Actas lost money on the Girls und Panzer film. Despite it being massively financially successful, Actas saw none of those profits due to not being on the production committee.
I don't have the evidence to back this up but I'm sure a similar scenario happened in the past as well?

Cornbread78

I have to ask, I finished Big Order, which was just a big ball of insane, WTF and stupid, which is worse Big Order or Mayoiga? I have yet to watch Mayoiga and I'm asking if I should even start.

Fu(k big order and that nasty final episode and all the other useless nonsensicle $hit that went along with that anime.... Mayoiga just ended up being $hit because it wasn;t what it appeared to be and they didn't even keep up with dark humer and pure craziness that made it interesting to start..... It just ended up being crap...

Can someone help me with a little image work I have the pieces, just need some editing/font assistance.?

Just a couple changes

Future Boy Conan 7

It does bother me a little how most of the adults in this show are varying degrees of inept goofballs, but that's to be expected from a kids' adventure cartoon.

I don't have the evidence to back this up but I'm sure a similar scenario happened in the past as well?

This is an extreme example, but sure. If an animation studio doesn't get on the production committee for a work they animate, they remove themselves from the financial risk if it bombs but also from the financial success if it succeeds. It's always a gamble.

Bakuon 12 END

in the riveting finale of bakuon, sakura bothers Jesus Christ at the checkout line for buying a motorcycle magazine with naked girls in it so Jesus has Hane live in a world without auto bikes for a day until Raimu-senpai breaks it or something. And then Jesus says that he'll let humans enjoy auto baiku for a bit longer.

TUSR

Banned
Bakuon 12 END

in the riveting finale of bakuon, sakura bothers Jesus Christ at the checkout line for buying a motorcycle magazine with naked girls in it so Jesus has Hane live in a world without auto bikes for a day until Raimu-senpai breaks it or something. And then Jesus says that he'll let humans enjoy auto baiku for a bit longer.
what

Wanderer5

Bakuon 12 END

Bakuon 12 END

List show?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How do they suffer a loss, though? Surely they break even despite not sharing in the profit? Aren't they paid for their work?

Cornbread78

No. It's just mediocre in pretty much every way. Jesus Christ was a recurring character anyway. It had weird-ass moments for sure though

So glad I skipped out on this mess alongside the pervy bear show....

I really need to watch Flying Witch and Tanaka-kun at some point in the next two weeks though.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
When Marnie Was There

Absolutely beautiful. Highly recommended. If you're in the UK and your local cinema is still showing it, you really should try and go see it.

Even though I guessed the main revelation it didn't stop the tearing from flowing when the film finally reveal it.

John Blade

Thanks for the reply, your thoughts on the scene are very interesting and I agree with what you're saying. I actually find your comment on how the main character struggles with power to be really interesting too. Like I said in my review, the intentions of the scene are exactly what you describe, it's just the lack of following up on it that disappointed me on that front, although like you said the ending does try to bring it back around as a conclusion. I think my main issue was the scenes after the controversial scene is the huge tonal shift which makes the pacing from that scene onwards odd. Like you said, it's a great film and I did enjoy it a lot.

You're right about what happen after the incident. The MC did try to inform the female character that he was sorry for what he did but the female character just say it isn't his fault because of this. Kinda how an average woman would react from this incident when they got into this which is sad.

I did say in my impression, they isn't a conclusion for the female character which is sad. Hell, they can add a very simple and easy way to conclude this arch. If they add few more scene after where the movie end which consist of the MC come down to earth, got parade by the people for the achieving the impossible in the city. The MC saw the female character in the crowd and step out of the parade route and go toward her. Then say he was sorry about it and thank her to make him a bit more religious of what life is and the mission of the human been. Then you see him hug her after the talk and then tell the other people how important life is and do the same talk he say in the space ship but much shorter. Then flash back of see him helping other people in need and also help the main female character with her trouble and get her stand up for herself with some help.

Unfortunately, what we got is an arch which didn't really finish for the main female character. She is kinda there to help push the story forward which is what I feel when watching it. Kinda sad, as she can be useful and can have a positive ending for her. We can all dream from it.

I don't know if you already watch yet but did you watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade? Would be interested to see your impression of this movie as it's one few anime movie I go back to watch it every year.

When Marnie Was There

Absolutely beautiful. Highly recommended. If you're in the UK and your local cinema is still showing it, you really should try and go see it.

Even though I guessed the main revelation it didn't stop the tearing from flowing when the film finally reveal it.

Yeh, wonderful film. Also, I hope it didn't hurt too much.

jonjonaug

How do they suffer a loss, though? Surely they break even despite not sharing in the profit? Aren't they paid for their work?
To my understanding they went over budget. It isn't the production committee's fault if the studio does a poor job of scheduling their time and money correctly.

javac

It's a damn good show. Pretty good representation of that era as well.
I've heard good things, I look forward to watching it :)

When Marnie Was There

Glad you got a chance to see it at the cinema and more importantly that you enjoyed it, I felt a little embarrassed but I cried a lot too, but to be fair everybody was. Almost a week later and I'm still reminiscing about it.

I don't know if you already watch yet but did you watch Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade? Would be interested to see your impression of this movie as it's one few anime movie I go back to watch it every year.
Yeah I agree, they could have done more afterwards to show the main character develop which would have helped the movie a lot. I haven't seen Jin-Roh, but funnily enough I'm planning on watching it sometime soon.

e_i

Biggest surprise of the season: Tanaka-Kun is Always Listless. Who thought a show about lazy boy could be so great--mainly because the supporting cast was so awesome. Flying Wtich for second place.

Biggest shitshow of the season: Infinite Stratos...I mean The Hundred.

Biggest let down: Kumamiko. Natsu was the best character of the show, but the way it ended made me feel I watched the show for nothing. Nothing at all.

Cruelest teacher award goes to the teacher from Anne Happy. WTF are doing to these poor girls, teach?

The biggest WTF show? Bakoun. Suzukiphilia. 'nuff said. Space Patrol Luluco for second place.

Most pairings in a show? High School Fleet. So.many.pairings.

Best girl? Ram/Rem, or Nico, or Makoto, or that girl from High School Fleet that watches to many period dramas.

Best guy? Ohta. Best friend? BEST friend.

Best friends? The girls from Three Leaves, Three Colors. Sonobe wins for best maid.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Bakuon fin

gbGXidsl.jpg

rmRtcG6l.jpg

At times this show was pretty stupid, but I think I'll miss it when it's gone. lol

Hundred fin
It's still art!
hs4YSaml.jpg

They blatantly stole one of the twists from Evangelion, because why the fuck not. lol

bDIhpM5l.jpg

Also, I knew this had to happen!

Line_HTX

Bakuon 12 END

They looking up to Jesus or what?

Also, LOL at the official account tweeting the eyecatch. WHEW...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal Season III Episode 12:

The award for the most suitably epic climax episode this season goes here. Fuck you shonen pacing so very god damned much.

Cornbread78

Last time I'll ask this, but does anyone know of a good 12 episode "Let's Watch" candidate that we haven't discussed? It'seems impossible for everyone to agree, but there's gotta be something that could be fun/interesting that hasn't aired recently and available via legal streaming services.

Szadek

Re:Zero - Ep. 3
Alright, that was a pretty good fight scene if a bit too long.

Shirobako - Ep. 7
Ema takes the spotlight of this episode and watching her struggle with her new job and her own metal hang ups was quite interesting.
I'm really rooting for her.

JulianImp

Last time I'll ask this, but does anyone know of a good 12 episode "Let's Watch" candidate that we haven't discussed? It'seems impossible for everyone to agree, but there's gotta be something that could be fun/interesting that hasn't aired recently and available via legal streaming services.

I'm planning to watch Aoi Hana and Usagi Drop, so maybe we could go with either of those? Hourou Musuko's also good, but I wouldn't join you guys since I just finished watching it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm planning to watch Aoi Hana and Usagi Drop, so maybe we could go with either of those? Hourou Musuko's also good, but I wouldn't join you guys since I just finished watching it.
I only mention this because it aired around the same time as Aoi Hana, but I feel like history has shown that this is the better yuri anime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispered_Words

I mean Aoi Hana has the prestige, and the anime at least tries to be more satisfying than the manga, but it just wasn't as satisfying as Sasameki Koto.

I'm also reminded of that gif meme that 7th (who dat???) posted ages ago where the Sasameki Koto girls tell the Aoi Hana girls that they are better are being lesbians. lol

Of course if you've already seen it, it's kind of moot.

It's all about Raimu-senpai IMO.

Living through the ages.
It's weird because there's a bike Jesus, but she's also a bike Jesus. Or maybe she's the Saint of Bikes.

John Blade

I would recommend trying Servant x Service as it have a legal streaming services (crunchyroll) and it's very short (13 episodes). Also, I never watch it yet but would like to go watch it as I just finish reading the manga. Would like if other people join me watching it.

LcFyAHw.gif

JulianImp

I only mention this because it aired around the same time as Aoi Hana, but I feel like history has shown that this is the better yuri anime:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whispered_Words

I mean Aoi Hana has the prestige, and the anime at least tries to be more satisfying than the manga, but it just wasn't as satisfying as Sasameki Koto.

I'm also reminded of that gif meme that 7th (who dat???) posted ages ago where the Sasameki Koto girls tell the Aoi Hana girls that they are better are being lesbians. lol

Of course if you've already seen it, it's kind of moot.

I see it on Crunchyroll, but it appears to have no episodes available for some reason. Did their streaming rights for it expire or something? If that's the case, then it probably won't be elegible for a Let's Watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I would recommend trying Servant x Service as it have a legal streaming services (crunchyroll) and it's very short (13 episodes). Also, I never watch it yet but would like to go watch it as I just finish reading the manga. Would like if other people join me watching it.

LcFyAHw.gif
It's too bad they never made that crossover where the couple from Working get their marriage certificate from that office.

I see it on Crunchyroll, but it appears to have no episodes available for some reason. Did their streaming rights for it expire or something? If that's the case, then it probably won't be elegible for a Let's Watch.
That might be the case. It's 7 years old now, so I wouldn't be surprised if they just lost it. Too bad.

Cornbread78

That sounds ds like it could be fun.

Does Kino's Journey street anywhere other than Hulu?

Sterok

Sailor Moon Crystal S3 12

This show is not good. It moves so slow with everyone giving a generic reaction to everything happening, yet they do nothing. The Inners continue to just waste space, and the Outers aren't much better at this point. We're in the home stretch, the world is about to be destroyed, and I just wanted something to actually happen for once. And why is Moon saying it's her turn to save everyone when she's the one doing the saving 90% of the time?

But this show has a saving grace. Sailor Saturn's introduction is suitably epic and ominous. She's a planet buster, and she wastes no time in doing what she does best. What little hints there are to her character are also nice, as she seems to not enjoy her role as the Messiah of Silence. Can we dump the manga adaptation and just get the wacky adventures of Hotaru and Saturn? That would be more entertaining and bring more justice to a woefully underused character.

Top Bottom