• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son Of D

Bit late to the release date talk but here are my thoughts.

FFXV - September/October 2016
KH3 - December 2016-March 2017
FFVII remake - October/November 2017

Nah it's probably when they send out the PR with the new trailer/information and whatnot. Their next broadcast for the game might be on that day too.

Ah OK, that's fine too. It's a Europe event though, so when the media gets released I 'll still be sleeping =p

Hopefully Dragon Quest fans won't be weeping again, Theatrhythm Dragon Quest would be an easy shoe-in to complement a trio of releases: Heroes, DQ 7, DQ 8, the last two still needing the official word from Square Enix the company.

XII would be bought, so hard. Not only is it one of my favourites that I'd love to revisit (my old PS2 has long since croaked), but to finally get hands on the IZJS would be great. I don't even properly know what that is in detail, just the trust that it probably makes an already great game better.

Plus I kinda neglected Balthier and Fran on my one and only playthrough, would love to prioritise them on a new run. XII is epic though, really really long, especially factoring in all hunts and such.

Bousf

It really puzzles me why they keep ignoring FF12. It also makes me very sad :(
I genuinely thought it was E3 material :(

I feel like they'll present it at TGS to release it Summer 2016. If TGS ends without it being announced, I will shake my head for the rest of this year.

Jigorath

Banned
How are we so sure FFXII HD exists anyway? I really want it, but I don't see it coming.

Verendus confirmed it a few months back.

EDIT: Here's the post.

5. On the back of that, FFXII HD on current gen is basically confirmed at this point. As is one of the older Dragon Quest titles in HD (I've genuinely forgot which number though since it's been a while). In addition to that, there is a spin-off Final Fantasy title planned for consoles. Not big budget. Not FFX or FF7 in case people take it there. Not a traditional RPG either.

Thanks...that definitely doesn't seem confirmed though, given what was written. I asked Verendus about it and he didn't seem to know anything concrete at all. That easily could be him not wanting to leak anything (understandable) or it could genuinely be that nothing is past concept stages.

Thanks for the feedback. I also found this quote from Verendus interesting back in june :
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=169289577&postcount=649

I don't know if it means he knows something more precise about a VI possible remake (or V but he never said anything about V) or he just stated his general opinion...

A bit of a tangent but can someone explain to me why Square takes so long to release games?

I haven't been following FF 15 or KH 3 for a good while and expected especially the former to make 2015, and now I see the general consensus is it will be lucky to make 2016... what the hell keeps happening?

Probably. I wonder if it's the same for Kingdom Hearts HD or if will be also on Xbox One.

I guess it won't since if SE want to promote FF on X1, they had to release FFX HD on X1 like PS4 but they didn't. I think NX is suitable (if Nintendo release it on time lol)

I doubt the effort for a PS3 version would pay off. Better invest that time in an optimized Vita version.

Hard to ignore those PS3 sales in Japan, especially they still develop DQH 2 for PS3

Sorry to speculate, but didn't they tease FF12 getting the HD treatment around the time X/X-2 was about to launch on PS4? It seems reasonable to expect them to continue the trend.

I also thought they recently praised how their HD remakes were doing and that they would continue...

I would rather have a Chrono Trigger remake, and then a sequel.

I'd rather have a sequel in spirit (same world maybe, but not surrounding the same characters and events), given that if this *did* happen, it'd be mostly with new staff. If they don't have to worry about treating the OG game's characters reverently, I think that kind of freedom would mean a better game.

There's still plenty of interesting stories you could tell in a time-traveling RPG set in the same world, but without having it chained to the whole Lavos/Schala/Magus thing.

Bousf

X/X-2's sales alone justify XII HD, it did pretty well, even on Vita. Then it got upped to PS4, which also helps in believing XII is next.

It is actually the one and only non-MMO mainline entry not playable on currently marketed Sony consoles (PS3 onwards), as we have FFI-IX as PSOne Classics, X-X-2 on PS3/PS4/Vita and the XIII series on PS3. It's about damn time, methinks.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
A bit of a tangent but can someone explain to me why Square takes so long to release games?

I haven't been following FF 15 or KH 3 for a good while and expected especially the former to make 2015, and now I see the general consensus is it will be lucky to make 2016... what the hell keeps happening?

HD games are hard :p

I think the general reason is that SE, like many Japanese companies didn't have the pipeline or experience in managing the large teams required for HD games. Coupled with the failures of Crystal Tools and XIV 1.0, the company just landed itself into the position that it is in. The problems really started with FFXII.

Thankfully things are beginning to change. KH3 was only announced two years ago or so and it's best to see 15 as a new game that started development in 2012/2013 and not as VersusXIII. They've always said that the game was still a while away.

HD games are hard :p

I think the general reason is that SE, like many Japanese companies didn't have the pipeline or experience in managing the large teams required for HD games. Coupled with the failures of Crystal Tools and XIV 1.0, the company just landed itself into the position that it is in. The problems really started with FFXII.

Thankfully things are beginning to change. KH3 was only announced two years ago or so and it's best to see 15 as a new game that started development in 2012/2013 and not as VersusXIII. They've always said that the game was still a while away.

Interesting.. So have they just been announcing games a lot earlier than other devs or has their actual production time been a lot more than average?

I wonder if there's a specific part of development that takes them more time than most other devs or if it's just a cumulative effect of the team structure etc. adding a few hours/days/weeks o each little bit?

I really hope it changes, almost nothing can live up to the kind of wait we have to endure for FF games.

Son Of D

Isn't next year the 10th anniversary?

It is. I won't be surprised if they actually announce it early 2016 for a late 2016 release.

So if FFXII HD is real, which platforms will it be released on? I guess Sony Holy Trinity platform is a must (PS4/PS3/Legacy)

Seeing that World of Final Fantasy is a PS4/Vita game does make me think that XII HD could actually miss the PS3. But since it's a remaster it's not like a PS3 version would hold the other two back. If we get a PS3 version it'll probably be digital only in the west or even Japan only. Vita version will probably be digital only as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Sorry to speculate, but didn't they tease FF12 getting the HD treatment around the time X/X-2 was about to launch on PS4? It seems reasonable to expect them to continue the trend.

I also thought they recently praised how their HD remakes were doing and that they would continue...

Just that they would consider it if people demanded it enough.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
They'll probably give us Crisis Core and Dirge of Cerberus HD rather than FFXII HD.

There's something I dont get with World of Final Fantasy.. they said First on PS4/Vita, right ?

Most likely PC in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom