• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.
final_fantasy_versus_ffv_2.png
Isn't this scene gone from the game? lol

Also, hard to say XV will be bigger than Versus when Versus was supposed to be multiple games. I wouldn't even say that XV is more ambitious since they dropped multiple characters and probably more intensive mechanics, such as the airship.

Final Fantasy XV is my most anticipated video game ever since the very day they announced it as Versus XIII back in 2006.

As you can guess from my avatar, I'm a HUGE Metal Gear fan, but Versus XIII has been my "priority", my MOST AWAITED game for almost 10 years now.

My anticipation for this game surpassed games like Metal Gear Solid 4 (Which is my favorite game of the last generation), it surpassed games like Uncharted 2, surpassed The Last of Us and many others.

During these 9 years, Versus XIII/XV has maintained its position on my list. Not even the change of director managed to take it down. Not even the change on the battle system. Not even the removal of Stella.

I expect FFXV even more than the legendary Final Fantasy VII remake. I expect FFXV even more than Kojima's last Metal Gear game (MGSV).

Every day with new info, or a new trailer for FFXV is a party day for me.

I know that, for many people, XV is "no longer the game they wanted to play". But not me. XV is still THAT game I wanted to play, and it seems like it will ACTUALLY see the light of day, unlike the original project. XV will be bigger, and most probably better than Versus was set out to be.

Still the most anticipated game of my entire life, no matter how this game evolves <3

Ishida

Banned

Also, hard to say XV will be bigger than Versus when Versus was supposed to be multiple games. I wouldn't even say that XV is more ambitious since they dropped multiple characters and probably more intensive mechanics, such as the airship.

Maybe, we don't know. But I purposely used the Versus XIII image to ilustrate for how long I've been waiting. :p

And I highly doubt XV will be less ambitious. The game was switched to a new generation and even turned into a full blown numbered entry of the franchise. They are going BIG on this one.

Tell that to the Stella fans.

But I'm with you on this. XV is going to be everything and much more than Versus. I'm ready to embrace SE again as a company I used to love and enjoy. FFXIV was the first huge stepping stone for me. I expect to see more.

The whole concept of "Stella fans" is kind of weird for me, since we knew so little of the character, or what her actual role in the story used to be.

RK128

I would argue that a great focus on core mechanics is likely the best thing to come out of the game being re-booted into FFXV.

A smaller cast will lead to a stronger story. Less mechanics to play around with leads the combat system, the warping sword system and larger open world to be stronger and more refined. The game being on PS4/X1 will lead to stronger performance then on PS3 and in turn, lets them do more creative things (larger boss fights and summons for example).

The game will be 'smaller' then the original Verses, but that will lead it to being a stronger game.

Just look at my avatar if you want a good example on focus on mechanics; Sonic Generations JUST had Modern and Classic Sonic, nothing more and nothing less. And in turn, it lead to the game into being the strongest Sonic release in decades.

wmlk

Ambition isn't connected to having these kinds of features or mechanics in the game. There have been games just as ambitious that don't boast those kind of things, and are more streamlined mechanically.

I would argue that a great focus on core mechanics is likely the best thing to come out of the game being re-booted into FFXV.

A smaller cast will lead to a stronger story. Less mechanics to play around with leads the combat system, the warping sword system and larger open world to be stronger and more refined. The game being on PS4/X1 will lead to stronger performance then on PS3 and in turn, lets them do more creative things (larger boss fights and summons for example).

The game will be 'smaller' then the original Verses, but that will lead it to being a stronger game.

Just look at my avatar if you want a good example on focus on mechanics; Sonic Generations JUST had Modern and Classic Sonic, nothing more and nothing less. And in turn, it lead to the game into being the strongest Sonic release in decades.
Smaller cast = Strong story - That is extremely debatable. And technically, we didn't see the cast actually getting smaller, just the playable characters being axed.

Less mechanics = better battle system - They had to focus test the game to be able to make anything out of it, and you still see a bunch of people unhappy with it. Hard to call it "better". It's missing magic, but it's not like the original game wasn't going to have magic. Ditto for summons

Warping system was nerfed and will most likely be extremely limited to what was originally planned (remember when Nomura said we could go on rooftops in cities? I kinda doubt that's still in there).

Moving up to the PS4 instead of the PS3 should allow them to do more, except they are putting all of the extra power in making pretty graphics and pretty animations. Big boss fights were always planned, and in the end of the day a more powerful hardware doesn't imply that the game should change along with it.

Stronger story? We'll see, but they traded an already proven writer (who, independently of your opinion, wrote the stories for the most popular FF games and also the story for the most successful new JRPG in the PS2 era) and they put in someone completely unproven in the field (and some horrible translation to help bring down the quality of everything).

Just saying, I still like XV, I'll still defend it, but I'd hardly call it something equal to what Versus was supposed to be.

RK128

Smaller cast = Strong story - That is extremely debatable. And technically, we didn't see the cast actually getting smaller, just the playable characters being axed.

Less mechanics = better battle system - They had to focus test the game to be able to make anything out of it, and you still see a bunch of people unhappy with it. Hard to call it "better". It's missing magic, but it's not like the original game wasn't going to have magic. Ditto for summons

Warping system was nerfed and will most likely be extremely limited to what was originally planned (remember when Nomura said we could go on rooftops in cities? I kinda doubt that's still in there).

Moving up to the PS4 instead of the PS3 should allow them to do more, except they are putting all of the extra power in making pretty graphics and pretty animations. Big boss fights were always planned, and in the end of the day a more powerful hardware doesn't imply that the game should change along with it.

Stronger story? We'll see, but they traded an already proven writer (who, independently of your opinion, wrote the stories for the most popular FF games and also the story for the most successful new JRPG in the PS2 era) and they put in someone completely unproven in the field (and some horrible translation to help bring down the quality of everything).

Just saying, I still like XV, I'll still defend it, but I'd hardly call it something equal to what Versus was supposed to be.

Guess I got confused or something then :l. Still, I hope the final game is great and a larger focus on things might make it an even better game :D.

wmlk

How are we even supposed to know what it was supposed to be? Bringing up things like going to rooftops and nerfed warping doesn't make sense when we didn't even see these things in trailer form in VSXIII.

Not to mention that game will exist as a concept instead of an actual product.

I think your last sentence sums it up, especially the last half, what Versus was supposed to be, I think we would have never gotten Nomura's vision anyways since in general it was way way too ambitious and the things he wanted to do, and what gaming at the time and even now can handle.

I think the original Versus especially on PS3 would have been a disappointment with Nomura promising the world and us getting so little. If this game was conceived the next gen after this one than maybe all of Nomura's dreams would come true but even for this one what he was originally planning seems like a pipe dream sadly

How are we even supposed to know what it was supposed to be?

Because people followed the game, reading the interviews and watching the trailers? lol

If you're saying that, then how are we supposed to know what any game is supposed to be?

Don't pretend we knew nothing of the game. We knew a bunch and it was enough to pinpoint how ambitious they were trying to be. People say Stella was no one and yet she had more lines in the trailers thus far than even Noctis (with an entire trailer dedicated to showing her). People say we knew nothing about the story, yet we were able to understand all the changes to the story when Tabata talked about them.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I'm actually... agreeing with threelights here.
But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if that scene is now gone along with the entire fight sequence from the E3 trailer.

Ishida

Banned
How are we even supposed to know what it was supposed to be? Bringing up things like going to rooftops and nerfed warping doesn't make sense when we didn't even see these things in trailer form in VSXIII.

Not to mention that game will exist as a concept instead of an actual product.

Pretty much this.

wmlk

Because people followed the game, reading the interviews and watching the trailers? lol

If you're saying that, then how are we supposed to know what any game is supposed to be?

Don't pretend we knew nothing of the game. We knew a bunch and it was enough to pinpoint how ambitious they were trying to be. People say Stella was no one and yet she had more lines in the trailers thus far than even Noctis (with an entire trailer dedicated to showing her). People say we knew nothing about the story, yet we were able to understand all the changes to the story when Tabata talked about them.

Interviews, trailers, and what have you are not enough as they give select information regarding the game.

Regarding interviews, it amounts to PR as the things that Versus XIII didn't have or didn't do was never brought up by Nomura. Just like with any other Director, Nomura reflected on the exciting features and the possibilities about the game. Of course, the interviewer asks the questions, but whoever is being interviewed can answer and make anything sound like a positive.

It's the exact same with trailers, too. The footage that we saw for Versus XIII was handpicked by Nomura to make us all excited and look forward to the game. We were shown that Stella was this strong female character who rivals Noctis. We were also shown character switching and that got people excited about all sorts of possibilities. But what about the things the game didn't do well? What if Stella wasn't handled all that well even if her initial impression was really strong? What if character switching is ultimately shallow since there isn't a tighter focus on any individual character? We can't tell these sorts of things with a trailer cut by Nomura. Heck, we see the exact same with FFXV. In the TGS 2014 and Jump Festa 2015 trailers, the battles seemed extremely fluid and camera didn't seem to be a problem. Then, when people actually got to play the game, the camera was easily the most problematic thing and soured people entirely on the final release. These are things that are the reality with a game like FFXV, but with Versus XIII, this was never the case since we saw the game exist in trailer form and all its flaws remained hidden.

I'm not saying what any game is supposed to be. I think that's silly since we're fed PR until the game is out on shelves. I'm also not pretending that I know nothing about Versus XIII. It's just me realizing that all the flaws and imperfections for Versus XIII were never seen by the public since we were only exposed to what they wanted us to see.

I don't think that's really true though. I think some of what people thought would happen they were projecting onto the little information they were shown. Stella was a popular character because of how she looked and her assumed personality - but did you really know much about her? Having more lines than Noctis isn't really a qualifier because those lines don't relay much in the way of information. Trailers are purposefully made to show only what they want you to see.

Edit: Beaten by wmlk

What if you bought the game and it just crashed at the title screen? What if? What if?

Damn you Nomura, I was promised a full game! Now all I have is a picture that says New Game and plays Kingdom Hearts music over it.

And interviews do talk about things that won't be in the game. An example is Tabata talking about all the things they took off from it. Interviews and PR focus mainly on talking about the things that will be in the game because they're trying to sell you a product, and they're trying to explain to you what that product is.

Using a metric that makes sense, where we compare things games have instead of not, then Versus is the clear winner here. XV doesn't have much that wasn't already in Versus. But Versus did have many things that XV won't.

wmlk

What if you bought the game and it just crashed at the title screen? What if? What if?

Damn you Nomura, I was promised a full game! Now all I have is a picture that says New Game and plays Kingdom Hearts music over it.

And interviews do talk about things that won't be in the game. An example is Tabata talking about all the things they took off from it. Interviews and PR focus mainly on talking about the things that will be in the game because they're trying to sell you a product, and they're trying to explain to you what that product is.

Using a metric that makes sense, where we compare things games have instead of not, then Versus is the clear winner here. XV doesn't have much that wasn't already in Versus. But Versus did have many things that XV won't.

If that's what you took away from what I said, then I don't know why I even bothered.

Bennettt2

Final Fantasy XV is my most anticipated video game ever since the very day they announced it as Versus XIII back in 2006.

As you can guess from my avatar, I'm a HUGE Metal Gear fan, but Versus XIII has been my "priority", my MOST AWAITED game for almost 10 years now.

My anticipation for this game surpassed games like Metal Gear Solid 4 (Which is my favorite game of the last generation), it surpassed games like Uncharted 2, surpassed The Last of Us and many others.

During these 9 years, Versus XIII/XV has maintained its position on my list. Not even the change of director managed to take it down. Not even the change on the battle system. Not even the removal of Stella.

I expect FFXV even more than the legendary Final Fantasy VII remake. I expect FFXV even more than Kojima's last Metal Gear game (MGSV).

Every day with new info, or a new trailer for FFXV is a party day for me.

I know that, for many people, XV is "no longer the game they wanted to play". But not me. XV is still THAT game I wanted to play, and it seems like it will ACTUALLY see the light of day, unlike the original project. XV will be bigger, and most probably better than Versus was set out to be.

whoa, couldn't have said it better.

I usually agree with your posts a lot but ever since the director change you seem rather skeptical/negative at times. I know you're excited and yes it's sad that's it's different game but I hope you enjoy FFXV for what it is instead of perhaps thinking in the back of your head " you know.. Versus would've done it this way"

Wasn't that scene on the TGS demo from a year ago, just in daylight? Same building and all.

Also which characters? Stella? Wasn't she pretty much renamed into the other girl from the 2013 trailer? It's not like we got to know Stella much as for other characters, the bros were always there.

Same for the airship, you might get a flying car or something, it's not like it hasn't come out.

Also, when did they mention it was going to be multiple games? It was part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis which was XIII, Agito XIII (Type 0) and VS XIII. There wasn't going to be a VS XIII prequel, sequel and the like, at least I don't remember anything being mentioned and I've followed this game since 2006.

I was dubious of XV up until the point I saw Ramuh.
My heart melted and I was convinced these guys knew exactly what this game needed to deliver. How magestic and grandiose it has to be.

I know it's a narrow minded view, but I can't help but feel confident about the project after seeing that. It just clicked with the inner Final Fantasy fan I have been for more than 20 years.

Wasn't that scene on the TGS demo from a year ago, just in daylight? Same building and all.

Also which characters? Stella? Wasn't she pretty much renamed into the other girl from the 2013 trailer? It's not like we got to know Stella much as for other characters, the bros were always there.

Same for the airship, you might get a flying car or something, it's not like it hasn't come out.

Also, when did they mention it was going to be multiple games? It was part of the Fabula Nova Crystallis which was XIII, Agito XIII (Type 0) and VS XIII. There wasn't going to be a VS XIII prequel, sequel and the like, at least I don't remember anything being mentioned and I've followed this game since 2006.

I haven't been agreeing much with threelights in this thread but Nomura did say after E3 2013 that there will most likely be sequels. i can't remember if he at that time said that sequels were for sure going to happen or seriously considering it. But now we know they changed their mind.

Also Tabata has been upfront about whether or not they could get an airship in and has said that so far it has been tough but they are still trying so there are those.

Also you are thinking of the gameplay demo from E3 2013 from the first part of your post but the TGS demo is the same area

I usually agree with your posts a lot but ever since the director change you seem rather skeptical/negative at times. I know you're excited and yes it's sad that's it's different game but I hope you enjoy FFXV for what it is instead of perhaps thinking in the back of your head " you know.. Versus would've done it this way"
I'm not really skeptical. I understand it's a different game now, and that's the thing I'm trying to say. It's a different game and this different game doesn't sound as interesting as Versus. That is a comparison, and it doesn't mean I don't like the game or I won't be able to enjoy it.
Actually, Tabata has made some of the best and most ambitious PSP titles, hands down.
I just feel the need to say that this game is not Versus whenever someone brings it up. It's not the same. And from then it just devolves into the same non-arguments about the game.
Oh, you can find that somewhere, I'm too lazy to go get a link. But Nomura said there were plans for multiple games (even in the 2013 trailer it shows the message about that being a game about the "Versus epic" or whatever...), and then Tabata said they scrapped those plans since then.

Coxy

It was pretty bad and fueled by PS3's complex architecture and bad management decisions all around.

Just think, at this point last gen SE were just about getting ready to announce Mind Jack and Front Mission Evolved as their future and refusing to localise RPGs because focus groups complained you couldnt shoot anyone

No Tsuchiya, no sale.

Toshifumi Nabeshima could be someone who'd do a good job of it if the rumours are true

If Sega is serious, then they might try to come back.

they do seem to be, they say they have stuff to announce at TGS and they have a recruitment drive for a "fresh 2016" to make a fresh start and try again

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Just think, at this point last gen SE were just about getting ready to announce Mind Jack and Front Mission Evolved as their future and refusing to localise RPGs because focus groups complained you couldnt shoot anyone

Toshifumi Nabeshima could be someone who'd do a good job of it if the rumours are true

they do seem to be, they say they have stuff to announce at TGS and they have a recruitment drive for a "fresh 2016" to make a fresh start and try again

Oh mannnnnn

I remember that. :(

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I do hope for some PC release dates for both FF type-0 HD and FF XIII: LR.

A PC announcemnt for FFXV seems like a far away dream, it will probably get there but much later than the consoles :(

Aside: Why was Versus called Versus? Who was versing who?

It was called Versus for two reasons.

One was the most literal definition which is to be against. Basically the whole Noctis vs. Stella concept is what we can assume it was about. The other however was the more obscure definition of versus which means to turn around. This can be seen in Noctis as he is thrown from royalty in a modern day city and turned into a fugitive. It can also summarize the game's main objective which is to turn around the tyranny that Lucis is under.

My bet regarding Square's release line up is this :).
-Final Fantasy XV: Summer/Fall 2016 JP, Fall 2016/Spring 2017
-Kingdom Hearts 3: World-Wide release Fall 2016/Spring 2017
-Final Fantasy VII Remake: World-Wide release Fall 2017
-Nier 2: 2016 Release (Platinum makes games fast man XD! Just look at Metal Gear Rising for example)
-RPG Studio Project: 2016 JP release/2017 Western release
-Dragon Quest XI: Spring/Summer JP 2018, Fall 2018/Summer 2019 Western Release

They have a strong line up for the next couple of years and they could use Nier 2 to space-out their JP-Developed releases if both FFXV or KH3 doesn't hit 2016 :).

My crystal ass says:

KH3 Fall 2016. Fun game but rushed and unpolished as all hell
FFXV Winter 2016. Okayish game but much more polished and ambitious.
Dragon Quest XI Summer 2016 (2017 western): Eats XV:s lunch for old school JRPG fans. And this comes from someone who liked VIII but doesn't really care about the series outside of that.

I feel like SE wants to carpet bomb their big PS4 games next year in hopes of mass fan integration to current gen. DQXI will be on PS3 or whatever but they will push that PS4 version.

One was the most literal definition which is to be against. Basically the whole Noctis vs. Stella concept is what we can assume it was about. The other however was the more obscure definition of versus which means to turn around. This can be seen in Noctis as he is thrown from royalty in a modern day city and turned into a fugitive. It can also summarize the game's main objective which is to turn around the tyranny that Lucis is under.

What?

It was meant that it was different than XIII like Kagari posted above.

If you have a link to your info I would like to see it since this is quite a lot of nonsense on why it was named Versus

Thank you for your detailed reply. Even if the conclusion that I'm drawing is that it's another Japanese title skirting normalities of the English language, I have more context to aid my understanding.

Ishida

Banned
Thank you for your detailed reply. Even if the conclusion that I'm drawing is that it's another Japanese title skirting normalities of the English language, I have more context to aid my understanding.

His reply is completely wrong, though... Kagari explained it. Versus XIII was a "counterpart" to the main FFXIII.

Sami+

I have to admit, I was more excited for Versus than I am for XV, but FF VIIR's existence and Duscae warmed me up to XV a lot more than I was a few months ago.

Was FM Evolved the one that was outsourced to Double Helix? Ugh.

Ishida

Banned
Yep, all three XIII games were meant to be a different director's vision of what a 'XIII' title could be.

Yep. I remember reading an interview with someone (Nomura?) who claimed that they didn't see Versus as a spin-off, but rather as a "counterpart main title", or something. As if they considered all 3 games to be Final Fantasy XIII.

My memory could be failing me, though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom