• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix at Gamescom '15: FFXV headlines main stage, other "reveals" teased

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now if only the other Japanese console giants like Capcom, Konami (lol!), and Namco could follow. Time to rebuild that broken console image in the Land of the Rising Sun!

If Sega is serious, then they might try to come back.
Capcom is already on the right path, specially if they show DMC5 =X
Bamco is doing some amazing work too, although most of their stuff is based off anime (doesn't stop them from being good, like the Digimon stuff though), and they're also porting everything to PS4 over here.

You just can't expect all of those companies to announce the same amount of stuff as Square. SE is a bigger company and they had a lot more success in other areas (mobile, arcade, etc.) than companies like Capcom, who lost a lot of money on that market.

RK128

The potential difference between S-E in the PS3/360 era vs the PS4/One era will probably be night and day.

We're already seeing the change... and so far it looks great.
There's a lot of good movement going on. The company is being more transparent and, most importantly, development just seems more proficient than it has for a long time. Projects are being announced and released in reasonable time frames. Troubled productions now have direction and are making progress. New IPs are being created. Dream projects are coming around.

Maybe S-E, as a company, is becoming a more broad reflection of the FFXIV project, if you see where I'm going with that. ;)

Now if only the other Japanese console giants like Capcom, Konami (lol!), and Namco could follow. Time to rebuild that broken console image in the Land of the Rising Sun!

And that is fantastic to see :').

That combined with Square also having a strong western devision thanks to their purchase of Edios and there JP projects finally coming together (FFXV looks like a real game now and KH3 is coming out within the next two years), they are doing good for themeselves :).

Capcom is slowly getting better (with them remastering their past games until they can figure out what they can do regarding future projects; RE7, DMC5 and MvC4 must be on the way or at least be in the planing stages).

Konami is.....moving away from gaming, and that's putting things lightly in that case :l. What they did to Kojima's works with P.T. and how they are handling the press of MGSV is really sad :'(.

Namco Bandi is already on top regarding game development; they are doing a great job with the licenses they have (SAO, Digimon, Naruto, J-Stars, Dragonball Z, One Piece) and are expanding older IP they have (Tales Of is coming to Next Gen soon, Pac-Man appeared in Smash, and God Eater is having a big presence across a number of their products and cross-promotion).

Sega is making efforts going forward, but we wont see anything major from them for at least another year or so from now. I feel that starting early 2016 (Sonic 25th Anniversary game), they will greatly kick-off there efforts by re-releasing classic games on current consoles (starting with Shenmue due to the Kickstarter's grand success) and doing 'dream' games with help from other publishers (maybe Sony helping fund a VC4 on PS4 and PC ala SFV) alongside continuing to let Altus do the great job they are doing. Sega is in a good spot, they just have to keep the word they stated a week or so ago about getting their fans back and making strong content again :).

That's why I hope FF VII remake is being made in UE4.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's UE4, the luminous engine just seems like SE is trying to save face or rather salvage the investment. However, I hope the luminous engine is used for other games once it's completed. Currently capcom is having trouble with their engine which I think is why SFV is on UE4.. UE4 saving Japan one game at a time.

Damn only 20 days.... I hope we get an epic trailer that shows how well the gameplay flows. I wonder what type of story trailer we will get too...

I wouldn't be surprised if it's UE4, the luminous engine just seems like SE is trying to save face or rather salvage the investment. However, I hope the luminous engine is used for other games once it's completed. Currently capcom is having trouble with their engine which I think is why SFV is on UE4.. UE4 saving Japan one game at a time.

Yeah, and the engine is capable of producing amazing graphics. The KH III trailer was really beautiful.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I think Capcom is trying to save face too, which is why they haven't canned Deep Down yet. lol

Philippo

I think XV will be used as a test to complete and let Luminous maturate, and then push heavily for it during the next gen.

If Sega is serious, then they might try to come back.
Capcom is already on the right path, specially if they show DMC5 =X
Bamco is doing some amazing work too, although most of their stuff is based off anime (doesn't stop them from being good, like the Digimon stuff though), and they're also porting everything to PS4 over here.

You just can't expect all of those companies to announce the same amount of stuff as Square. SE is a bigger company and they had a lot more success in other areas (mobile, arcade, etc.) than companies like Capcom, who lost a lot of money on that market.

And that is fantastic to see :').

That combined with Square also having a strong western devision thanks to their purchase of Edios and there JP projects finally coming together (FFXV looks like a real game now and KH3 is coming out within the next two years), they are doing good for themeselves :).

Capcom is slowly getting better (with them remastering their past games until they can figure out what they can do regarding future projects; RE7, DMC5 and MvC4 must be on the way or at least be in the planing stages).

Konami is.....moving away from gaming, and that's putting things lightly in that case :l. What they did to Kojima's works with P.T. and how they are handling the press of MGSV is really sad :'(.

Namco Bandi is already on top regarding game development; they are doing a great job with the licenses they have (SAO, Digimon, Naruto, J-Stars, Dragonball Z, One Piece) and are expanding older IP they have (Tales Of is coming to Next Gen soon, Pac-Man appeared in Smash, and God Eater is having a big presence across a number of their products and cross-promotion).

Sega is making efforts going forward, but we wont see anything major from them for at least another year or so from now. I feel that starting early 2016 (Sonic 25th Anniversary game), they will greatly kick-off there efforts by re-releasing classic games on current consoles (starting with Shenmue due to the Kickstarter's grand success) and doing 'dream' games with help from other publishers (maybe Sony helping fund a VC4 on PS4 and PC ala SFV) alongside continuing to let Altus do the great job they are doing. Sega is in a good spot, they just have to keep the word they stated a week or so ago about getting their fans back and making strong content again :).

Thanks for the comments, guys (or gals).

If you will recall, once upon a time those 'big 3' (maybe replace Namco with SEGA) eclipsed Square in development, both in sales generation and IP creation- so their struggles seem a lot more significant to me.

-Capcom is on the verge of bankruptcy (unless that has turned around the past few months) and there are still persistent rumors of their recent 'partnership' with Sony propping them up in order to get games made. We will probably know for certain if something like DMC5 goes exclusive.
-Konami is done in the console gaming landscape. They've made that abundantly clear and I, as someone who's loved their IP output since the NES days, can't express enough how sad that makes me feel.
-Yes, Namco is working with popular anime franchises and is publishing the Dark Souls series, but beyond Tekken 7 their other legacy franchises (i.e. Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, Time Crisis) have become F2P dreck, IMO. Maybe it's a little thing, but not having a Ridge Racer launch with either the PS4 or X1 was depressing to me.

A year ago I might have added S-E to that list and stated reasons why I felt they were traveling down a dark path. What a difference a year makes, right? :)

I'd also like to see the emergence of some new Japanese console game development companies this gen. Mostly I just want to see that area build back up again. If it takes a lot of mid-tier developed games (like RE:Rev2, for example) to do it, so be it.

Shahed

I hope they show more dungeons, tombs, or other areas with some intricacy in level design. It's one of my main worries of the game being more open. From my experience of open world games, they sacrifice a huge deal in having interesting areas. Duscae was pretty dull and boring to explore. I got excited about the Goblin Cave but that was bland as anything. I really hope being open world doesn't mess up the structure of the game. It's a similar worry I have about MGSV. Being open means there's less chance of having a sculpted area like Shadow Moses or Big Shell, various places like Midgar and the Floating Continent. At minimum they need something on the level of the dungeons in FFXII. Otherwise I fear the game will be a big let down

RK128

Thanks for the comments, guys (or gals).

If you will recall, once upon a time those 'big 3' (maybe replace Namco with SEGA) eclipsed Square in development, both in sales generation and IP creation- so their struggles seem a lot more significant to me.

-Capcom is on the verge of bankruptcy (unless that has turned around the past few months) and there are still persistent rumors of their recent 'partnership' with Sony propping them up in order to get games made. We will probably know for certain if something like DMC5 goes exclusive.
-Konami is done in the console gaming landscape. They've made that abundantly clear and I, as someone who's loved their IP output since the NES days, can't express enough how sad that makes me feel.
-Yes, Namco is working with popular anime franchises and is publishing the Dark Souls series, but beyond Tekken 7 their other legacy franchises (i.e. Ridge Racer, Ace Combat, Time Crisis) have become F2P dreck, IMO. Maybe it's a little thing, but not having a Ridge Racer launch with either the PS4 or X1 was depressing to me.

A year ago I might have added S-E to that list and stated reasons why I felt they were traveling down a dark path. What a difference a year makes, right? :)

I'd also like to see the emergence of some new Japanese console game development companies this gen. Mostly I just want to see that area build back up again. If it takes a lot of mid-tier developed games (like RE:Rev2, for example) to do it, so be it.

Konami is a sad topic, but they did make a lot of fantastic games in the past, so I don't feel sad about them moving on (though they could have done a MUCH better job making a final impression before leaving the industry). Just hope that they either let other work with their IP long after they leave the industry (pulling off a Kickstarter type of program but using Konami IP) or sell the IP off to people that will use it.

Capcom is in finanical trouble (as that is why big games from them recently like Dead Rising (X1/PC) and Street Fighter V (PS4/PC) get console exclusivity; Microsoft and Sony are paying for some of the development for the games. With the release of their remasters (Resident Evil Remake, RE0, DmC, DMC4), they are getting funds to make games through utilizing their extensive backlog form generations prior. Between them working with others to make games a reality, Mega Man slowly coming back (after Smash Bros. apperence and the Mega Man Legacy Collection being announced, they have something in the works for the blue bomber).

Bandi Namco uses licences they don't 'own' due to those being sure-fire successes; people will be buying CS not just because its a great game, but due to the Digimon name being attracted. Same with SAO: Lost Song. This comes into a big factor; why is Bamco making a God Eater anime? So that way people can be excited about that, then use the excitement surrounding that to sell the games. Ridge Racer, Ace Combat and other classic IP they own will come to next gen in the future, but they want to ride on the success they are currently having first before jumping back to their older IP.

Sega like I said, is in a very good spot right now; they hold the keys to tons of classic IP, have completed remasters of a few Dreamcast games in their hands (Shenmue HD and Skies of Arcadia HD), and are working hard in making Sonic great again after the train wreck Sonic Boom U game. They know what they are doing in the future and between that alongside great success in the PC market, they will be fine this coming generation :).

Shahed

What are the chances of SaGa 2015 getting a PS4 port for the west? Saying if it DOES get localized.

Well we'd have to see more of the game first. I'd personally want a PS4 port, but depending on how the game is designed it might suit handhelds better. Have we even seen anything yet?

Go_Ly_Dow

It was pretty bad and fueled by PS3's complex architecture and bad management decisions all around.

-PS3's architecutre + poor sales
-Rise of Xbox
-Lack of a competent game engine in timely fashion
-FFXIII's game design
-FFXIV's mismanagement
-Small internal team sizes to grasp the scope of HD projects (no Versus, no KH, only cheap sequels)
-Rise of mobile and shift of focus. Untested market that was too tempting to avoid

vs

-Friendly PS4 development hardware + dominance
-Decline of Xbox has kind of made a market environment akin to the PS2
-Getting to grips with next-gen before it started and making the engine choices priority
-Game design worthy of the hardware
-FFXIV's excellent management
-Bigger team sizes due to Osaka and also a ton of great outsourcing with some really quality external companies
-A better understanding of the mobile market and how it should only be one of several pillars that hold the company together

+Matsuda.

Amen.

They need to get FFXV done. It's a huge beast of burden on Square's back.

Agreed.
It's also wildly ambitious (well, that's the belief)- so there's a lot on the line. It could walk a very thin line between "Holy shit this is one of the GOAT games! Unforgettable!" and "You mean we waited 10 years for this?" No pressure, right? ;)

We can talk about S-E's recently perceived 'turn around' all day, but it's very important for their newest mainline/offline FF to knock it out of the park after the stigma of the FFXIII saga and the PS3/360 generation in general. Even with all the excitement about the FFVII Remake, S-E needs to rebuild some of that brand name strength with their numbered FFs, regardless of how well FFXIV is doing with the MMORPG crowd.

-PS3's architecutre + poor sales
-Rise of Xbox
-Lack of a competent game engine in timely fashion
-FFXIII's game design
-FFXIV's mismanagement
-Small internal team sizes to grasp the scope of HD projects (no Versus, no KH, only cheap sequels)
-Rise of mobile and shift of focus. Untested market that was too tempting to avoid

vs

-Friendly PS4 development hardware + dominance
-Decline of Xbox has kind of made a market environment akin to the PS2
-Getting to grips with next-gen before it started and making the engine choices priority
-Game design worthy of the hardware
-FFXIV's excellent management
-Bigger team sizes due to Osaka and also a ton of great outsourcing with some really quality external companies
-A better understanding of the mobile market and how it should only be one of several pillars that hold the company together

+Matsuda.

Amen.

Don't forget Nomura's burning fire.. The man is coming back with a vengeance.

Nimby

Banned
Well we'd have to see more of the game first. I'd personally want a PS4 port, but depending on how the game is designed it might suit handhelds better. Have we even seen anything yet?

It's been silent since the first trailer, but I hope the means they're upping the production value a bit. No more chibi pls, make the most of Kobayashi's designs.

I hope they show more dungeons, tombs, or other areas with some intricacy in level design. It's one of my main worries of the game being more open. From my experience of open world games, they sacrifice a huge deal in having interesting areas. Duscae was pretty dull and boring to explore. I got excited about the Goblin Cave but that was bland as anything. I really hope being open world doesn't mess up the structure of the game. It's a similar worry I have about MGSV. Being open means there's less chance of having a sculpted area like Shadow Moses or Big Shell, various places like Midgar and the Floating Continent. At minimum they need something on the level of the dungeons in FFXII. Otherwise I fear the game will be a big let down
Don't expect good level design in this game. At all.

This is the one thing I can guarantee you after spending 100 hours on Type-0 and seeing the demo from corner to corner.

Unless you're talking about a specific period, I don't really remember Konami, Bamco and Capcpom being bigger than Square. Sega sure, I mean, they had their own consoles and all. That may be because I've always played RPGs more than the rest, so I'm more familiar with Square's games than with Capcpom/Komani/Namdai. But Square put out so many games on the SNES/PS1 era, and all of them were big investments and big games...

Shahed

This is the one thing I can guarantee you after spending 100 hours on Type-0 and seeing the demo from corner to corner.

:(

The Towns, dungeons and caves in Type-0 were the worst. It made the initial novelty of having a World Map again a waste of time since that was bad by default due to having no place worthwhile to go to.

Unless you're talking about a specific period, I don't really remember Konami, Bamco and Capcpom being bigger than Square. Sega sure, I mean, they had their own consoles and all. That may be because I've always played RPGs more than the rest, so I'm more familiar with Square's games than with Capcpom/Komani/Namdai. But Square put out so many games on the SNES/PS1 era, and all of them were big investments and big games...

Square had a great run during the 16-bit era, no doubt, but they weren't a WW phenomenon until the PS1 era. Capcom, Konami, and SEGA were massive in the 8 and 16 bit eras worldwide. This simply cannot be overstated. I mean, you are talking Castlevania, Contra, Mega Man, Street Fighter 2, Sonic, major licenses (i.e. TMNT in the late 80s/early 90s, Disney properties in Capcom and SEGA's cases, etc.)- and that's just scratching the surface. We are talking legendary properties.
Even in the PS1/PS2 eras, Capcom & Konami were not just multi-platform game developers (unlike Square), but also had a massive grasp on the (at the time) successful arcade market.

That said, I feel we are going Off Topic here, so if you want to respond I respect that and will be happy to read your opinion, but I likely won't continue taking this thread OT. :)

I know lol

It seems that he was either willing to leave FFXV, or he just has eventually come to terms with getting off the project. Seems he will be at SE for a while yet.

I hope someone tells us what really happen. I think the FF7r was a way of making it up to him since he legit got kicked out and replaced in such a humiliating fashion from his dream project. I do not believe for one second he was just moved to handle KH3 and the remake that's just a convenient way of hiding the truth from the public.. Hell you thought Kojima name not being mention was a thing just watch Tabata avoiding his name.

I could see another Chrono coming since their apparent eye opening moment. In fact, I'd almost call it a likely eventuality. However I'm not entirely sure it'd be anything that we wanted anymore.

Maybe they can team up with someone to spread out the IP load. Square / Monolith Chrono Break. Or Square / Level-5 Chrono Trigger.

RK128

I could see another Chrono coming since their apparent eye opening moment. In fact, I'd almost call it a likely eventuality. However I'm not entirely sure it'd be anything that we wanted anymore.

Maybe they can team up with someone to spread out the IP load. Square / Monolith Chrono Break. Or Square / Level-5 Chrono Trigger.

We do have Sony and Level-5 working on something that was supposed to be announced this E3 but plans of that got moved. For all we know, they could be working on the next Dragon Quest game or a Chrono Trigger game.

jimmypython

I am wondering if the original VersusXIII team is behind FF7remake...and where the hell is Ito...

I will have a lot more faith in SE if they let Ito out of the dungeon, or basement...

:(

The Towns, dungeons and caves in Type-0 were the worst. It made the initial novelty of having a World Map again a waste of time since that was bad by default due to having no place worthwhile to go to.

Towns are clearly just system limitations (the game barely fits in 2 UMD discs, so they had to cut things).

I'm going to guess the caves being divided into rooms is also a system limitation.

But it's not just that. Whenever they tried making something different with the dungeons, it was just horribly executed (Silent Key, or whatever is the official translated name, for instance). Their level design is mediocre at best.

One room in KHBBS has more level design than the entirety of Type-0 (and I'm not praising BBS for some god-like level design either).

It's a bummer, but hopefully they'll put decent rewards in dungeons and stuff (that was one thing they didn't mess up in Type-0. The rewards for optional content is great).

We do have Sony and Level-5 working on something that was supposed to be announced this E3 but plans of that got moved. For all we know, they could be working on the next Dragon Quest game or a Chrono Trigger game.

How am I so dumb that I never remember Level-5 worked extensively in the Dragon Quest series......

I've always thought about how they'd nail the Toriyama look and... there it's been all this time. I should be ashamed.

Well, now I'm actually strangely confident!

RK128

I am wondering if the original VersusXIII team is behind FF7remake...and where the hell is Ito...

I will have a lot more faith in SE if they let Ito out of the dungeon, or basement...

The Versus XIII Team was spread throughout Square throughout the games development prior to it being re-booted into FFXV (I think they worked on various DS projects and at least one of the XIII games).

I wouldn't be shocked if they helped out CC2 with FFVII Remake, as they need to have a lot of people on board to get that out by 2017 (the most likely release date for the game considering its FFVII's anniversary).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

The Remake trailer at least seemed a lot more like Versus in its style.

jimmypython

Yep Type-0 has no level design...it is literally (as seen in the mini map) squares and lines connecting together...

Turin

Banned
I'm still pining for/betting Ito is the guy for FFXVI....... whenever that game happens.

The Remake trailer at least seemed a lot more like Versus in its style.

Versus had been drawing some FFVII comparisons from the beginning.

YESSS Finally!!

Seriously screw the VII Remake & all other S-E games....I can't wait to have an all new FF experience in my hands.... FFXV...come at me!!!

(pre-orders all S-E games anyway lol)

Feels good to be excited about (multiple) Square games that aren't HD ports.

Looks like they're actually getting their shit together
200x400px-LL-af4b458a_rejoice.png

Kh 2.9, FF12HD, and FFXV PC announcement please

Pretty sure KH news willl likely be contained to D23s (and maybe TGS).

Gamescom would be a great place for an XV PC announcement, though.

RK128

Don't know why but XV seens like a mix between FF VII, VIII and IX to me =P

I get that vibe too; it has VII's and VIII's look while also having that 'simpleness' that FFIX had (regarding going back to the basic's).

I guess we can also throw in FFXII, FFXIII and KH into the mix too considering the games combat system as well (FFXII started having non-turn based combat while FFXIII had a distinct action focus with the combat system).

I get that vibe too; it has VII's and VIII's look while also having that 'simpleness' that FFIX had (regarding going back to the basic's).

I guess we can also throw in FFXII, FFXIII and KH into the mix too considering the games combat system as well (FFXII started having non-turn based combat while FFXIII had a distinct action focus with the combat system).

Yeah! And the game is about kingdoms starting a war, just like what happens in FF IX.

wmlk

The staff.

A lot of the same people worked on FFVIII, too.

I think Yusuke Naora's addition made this lean more towards FFVIII. Really happy with that, though. FFVIII's architectural design and the art having influences from different genres is great.

Yeah! And the game is about kingdoms starting a war, just like what happens in FF IX.

FFII, IV, VI, VIII, X, XII are also about "kingdom's starting a war" in some fashion. Definitely don't feel like that's something unique to IX and I think people are stretching making any associations with IX in comparison to XV.

Then again, I've seen people around here claim the Holy Bible should be re-written to contain more direct FFIX references, so it doesn't surprise me. ;)

Turin

Banned
That's true.

Although I'm really excited to see what kind of new life XV's fresh team can bring to the table. A lot of young unknowns.

Yeah. I'm about as excited for XV as I've always been.

I try not to get too neurotic about the whole thing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom