• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Neiteio

Anyone else excited for the K. Rool Mii Fighter? And not ironically, I mean? I think it looks great. Dressing up as him is like dressing up as Godzilla or some other kaiju — a man in a rubber monster suit. It's just a bummer it can't be used in randoms online.

This should be good.

Expound, please.

I don't think it necessarily means anything, but he's not wrong.

Chrom - Already part of Robin's final smash
Dunban - Already part of Shulk's final smash
K.K. Slider - Background character on Smashville
Isabelle - Assist Trophy

Basically, every non third party Mii costume character already has a role in the game of some kind. K. Rool does not. This doesn't confirm anything in either direction, so wait until October, people.

Neoxon

Isabelle - Assist Trophy

Basically, every non third party Mii costume character already has a role in the game of some kind. K. Rool does not. This doesn't confirm anything in either direction, so wait until October, people.
To be fair, Duck Hunt Dog is also in the background of his own stage.

Neoxon

Here's hoping we see the Rhythm Heaven newcomer alongside a localization of the 3DS game.
I feel like we're gonna have to wait until at least Early 2016 for Rhythm Heaven Plus to come Stateside. I don't doubt that it's coming, I just doubt that it'll come this year. That being said, my gut feeling about us getting a RH rep in Smash as DLC has been growing.

Neoxon

People need to stop making up imaginary rules, there's no consistent pattern in character decisions lmao.
I honestly don't think the Mii Costumes have any bearing on who's next. Otherwise their options would be a bit limited (not empty).

Azuran

Banned
People need to stop making up imaginary rules, there's no consistent pattern in character decisions lmao.

This is the same OCD fanbase that loves to complain about the placement of characters in the select screen. Just let them have their fun.

Yoshi is a Mario character

For DLC stages at least, it seems the "stages won't re-use music already used" community rule is in full effect if the Doc stage is real. Otherwise there would be little reason not to throw in the three Doc songs that already exist onto the stage.

Clefargle

Comments above, removed characters that are already in the game (assist trophies/bosses) or in past games.

So that brings it down to the following characters being a possibility:
Inkling
Dixie Kong
K Rool
Wonder-Red
Isaac
Zelda Character like Ghirahim
Balloon Fighter (a stretch)

Slim pickings.

I like how you moved the goalpost to disclude characters that were in previous titles. I think anyone but Pichu deserves to get back in before K. Rool. Also, don't count Daisy or anyone else in an alt costume, we got Wario after having a Mario with Wario alt costume colors. It means nothing, you are making up Rools.

Liking some of those picks though the lack of Ashley makes me sadface :(
I'm biased to liking what you post just because you have a mawile avatar though :3

Thanks, I forgot Ashley. I'm editing her back in if you like. :)

There's room for everyone here.

Good to be home.

Zubz

Banned
Okay, I'm definitely convinced that this leak is real. I mean, look at this:

6AoevqdoxWUtb1aVD1g5dE6RphNz7.jpg

Nobody bothers with Time Mode except for Nintendo themselves, man. Unless they picked it by accident, why would the game be set to Time?

Ryce

I'd love for a unique victory song to get patched in for Dr. Mario. He deserves one more than Dark Pit since he doesn't even appear in the main Super Mario series. Whoever handled the remixes for the "rumored" Dr. Mario stage could've easily made a quick victory flourish.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"

Exactly. Remember Neoxon kept telling us that we are wasting our votes for second third party members from Capcom, Sega and Namco. When he kept plushing the imaginary rules right on our faces that we only get one character per company.

See what happened? He was so wrong and we got Ryu.

My point is Anything can happens. You may voice your opinions but don't push your agency and imaginary rules on us.

if the leak is true its probably safe to say that we should be getting a direct tomorrow... or atleast some kind of video update.

Well, the screenshots of the stage we have right now look like Press Release material, which might be how they leaked.

I think they might just say "hey, new stage too!" although a quick video starring Doc would be appreciated.

I'm actually a little sad Great Bay was debunked. It would've been a great way to tie into MM3D.

Although if the 4chan guy didn't debunk it, I'm certain the weird scale would've been confirmation enough it was bogus.

Nobody bothers with Time Mode except for Nintendo themselves, man. Unless they picked it by accident, why would the game be set to Time?

Haha, oh man, great catch. I didn't really doubt before but now it's definitely real.

I'd love for a unique victory song to get patched in for Dr. Mario. He deserves one more than Dark Pit since he doesn't even appear in the main Super Mario series. Whoever handled the remixes for the "rumored" Dr. Mario stage could've easily made a quick victory flourish.

Excluding Bowser, I want new victory themes for the veterans period.

RomanceDawn

If your character's name begins with "R" and ends with "idley" you can't be a playable character

If several years ago someone gave me a cryptic hint at 5 characters to come who's names started with the letter R but said none of them are Ridley I would think they were just yankin' my chain.

Character 1 - Starts with R, has an I in the name = Rosalina
Character 2 - Starts with R, has an I in the name = Robin
Character 3 - Starts with R, has a letter Y in the name = Ryu
Character 4 - Starts with R, ends with letter Y = Roy(Koopa)
Character 5 - For real though! Another character(DLC!)that starts with R, ends with letter Y = another Roy!

Neoxon

So that brings it down to the following characters being a possibility:
Inkling
Dixie Kong
K Rool
Wonder-Red
Isaac
Zelda Character like Ghirahim
Balloon Fighter (a stretch)

Slim pickings.
The issue is that Sakurai has gone on record saying that he's less inclined to add a character from franchises with no future, which is unfortunately the case for The Wonderful 101 & Golden Sun.

PSqueak

Banned

Can't tell if this is a joke.

I play time mode almost exclusively, only play stocks on request of friends.

Time mode encourage engaging, as opposed to playing cowardly.

Can't tell if this is a joke.

I play time mode almost exclusively, only play stocks on request of friends.

Time mode encourage engaging, as opposed to playing cowardly.
I'm sure you can agree the reverse is true as well, right? As in timed matches promote camping because you gain a lead, then play safe/defensively, especially if the timer is close to ending.

PSqueak

Banned
I'm sure you can agree the reverse is true as well, right? As in timed matches promote camping because you gain a lead, then play safe/defensively, especially if the timer is close to ending.

This is true, but i find that the cowardly playing is reduced on time significantly even if not completely erradicated, the thing is, one of my main friends who play smash actually plays cowardly (for every game, that's just how he is), when we started playing time he was forced to engage much more than stocks because he can't win by doing nothing, as opposed to "outliving" everybody else in stocks.

So the real kicker for the Doc stage for me is not the stage itself being great looking.

It's a very minor detail not many people noticed about Peach's Castle. The stage itself in the image is at a very slightly different angle than the only other full screenshot we have of it.

Now you might say "well, he just took an upressed shot of the N64 stage" and I would say that's quite impossible. The smoking gun is the skybox. The Smash 4 version is completely different, there's way more clouds in the back of the castle that aren't there on the 64, but are clearly present on the Stage Select Screen image from the leak.

So a faker would have had to notice the new skybox. Recreate the new skybox (perfectly). And hack it into a Smash 64 ROM that had the resolution and texture filtering modified and take a screenshot only for it to be a very slightly different angle than an already existing screenshot of the stage.

Any details on Tournament Mode and if we can play with friends online against randoms with settings we prefer?
This is true, but i find that the cowardly playing is reduced on time significantly even if not completely erradicated, the thing is, one of my main friends who play smash actually plays cowardly (for every game, that's just how he is), when we started playing time he was forced to engage much more than stocks because he can't win by doing nothing, as opposed to "outliving" everybody else in stocks.
Yeah, I hate when people play like that too lol. It brings down the overall quality of a match, but I think I've grown numb to it after so long of playing so many different styles.

I wish they had more modes too, like Smash Soccer. Just imagine that soccer ball item that spawns and you have to hit it into a goal. First to ___ wins. Or a mode that lets you choose a different character per stock, max 5 stock matches or something. So much potential outside of just Stock & Time.

I am so looking forward to the Tournament Mode, as well as the N64 stages and YouTube Replay Uploads. Hopefully, we will get more surprises on Friday.

Neoxon

Little known fact: Nirvana is transcending all of sakurai's "rules"

At this point im gunning for Wonder Red, Isaac and Wolf
One of Sakurai's recent comments kinda throws a shade on the likes of Wonder Red & Isaac, unfortunately. Wolf on the other hand is so safe of a bet that his inclusion is assumed at this point.

KingBroly

Banned
One of Sakurai's recent comments kinda throws a shade on the likes of Wonder Red & Isaac, unfortunately. Wolf on the other hand is so safe of a bet that his inclusion is assumed at this point.

Sakurai has no rules. He only does things to drink the tears of others, which keeps him young.

If wolf wins the fan ballet I'll consider the polls rigged x people have no common sense

It was a given wolf would return since he's already in a smash game

Let's go bomberman :(

Neoxon

If wolf wins the fan ballet I'll consider the polls rigged x people have no common sense

It was a given wolf would return since he's already in a smash game

Let's go bomberman :(
The ballot isn't a "winner gets in the game" thing, it's a suggestion box.

As for the fate of Wonder Red & Isaac, this was the quote that I was referring to.
Masahiro Sakurai said:
Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen.
Unfortunately, The Wonderful 101 & Golden Sun fit that bill. Which is a shame, considering that I was pushing for Wonder Red to be in the game.

kirby_fox

Banned

Isabelle - Assist Trophy

Inklings don't count?

JazzmanZ

For DLC stages at least, it seems the "stages won't re-use music already used" community rule is in full effect if the Doc stage is real. Otherwise there would be little reason not to throw in the three Doc songs that already exist onto the stage.
This pretty much means the only melee stages that can still return are Mushroom kingdom I and II, and Fourside, everything else has their music somewhere else.

Thanks, I forgot Ashley. I'm editing her back in if you like. :)
I was only teasing, no need to change your lists for me :3
I would totally main Ashley though XD

Heh, I had a friend who used to be huuuugely irritated that I play conservatively like that. Used to accuse me of being a 'vulture' XD
I always preferred to set it to time for casual play because I don't like the idea of others sitting out. 1v1 though? I'll just stock it.

This pretty much means the only melee stages that can still return are Mushroom kingdom I and II, and Fourside, everything else has their music somewhere else.

No. The "DLC stages cannot re-use music" rule doesn't exclude classic stages if their music is used already.

Jungle Japes on the 3DS is missing any music that's ever played on the stage. It has Kongo Jungle 64 and the Rocket Barrel remix. In fact Jungle Japes Melee doesn't appear in any version of Smash 4 at all, the song was completely cut. It's the first and only classic stage to ever not have its original theme. But one exception means there's no pattern and they're comfortable releasing retro stages without their original music.

Top Bottom