• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

I should clarify, after everything im STILL gunning for Wonder Red, Isaac and Wolf.

Ryu destroyed any concept I had left of Sakurai's rules.

I see no reason to see why anything Sakurai says has any more weight than a passing gas cloud of indigestion. As far as Im concerned everything he says is nothing more than passive musings.

At this point getting into Smash is seriously just a case of right time/right place. (which has always been in effect to some degree)

52IifMy.jpg

Felt the need to post this lol

Neoxon

52IifMy.jpg

Felt the need to post this lol
He has access to the Fountain of Youth.
Why didn't he share it with Iwata? ;_;

I should clarify, after everything im STILL gunning for Wonder Red, Isaac and Wolf.

I see no reason to see why anything Sakurai says has any more weight than a passing gas cloud of indigestion. As far as Im concerned everything he says is nothing more than passive musings.

At this point getting into Smash is seriously just a case of right time/right place. (which has always been in effect to some degree)
The point is that he wouldn't be saying it now unless it held true for the DLC characters. And his "I'm not gonna just let any third party into Smash" thing kinda rings true for Ryu, who's literally the face of fighting games & the only Capcom character who's as big as Mega Man (if not bigger). This is why I think he indirectly killed any hopes for Wonder Red & Isaac, & why I've stopped actively pushing for Wonder Red (even though I do still want him in the game).

As for Wolf, is there really any doubt that he'll get in the game?

Well if we're playing loose and people are even saying that 'winning' the poll isn't a thing then I'm all for Ashley, Viridi, Inkling, Lip, Chibi Hatsune Miku, Goombella and Marina Lightyear :p

Neoxon

Well if we're playing loose and people are even saying that 'winning' the poll isn't a thing then I'm all for Ashley, Viridi, Inkling, Lip, Chibi Hatsune Miku, Goombella and Marina Lightyear :p
The way I see it is that it's basically a glorified suggestion box, but they'll likely seriously consider the Top 10 or so. So while it isn't a guarantee that the winner will get in, they'll at least try to think of something cool for the character & see where it goes.

Ryce

If I could dream…

Tomorrow at 3:00 AM ET (4:00 PM in Japan) — a few more Mii costumes revealed, “tune in to smashbros.com tomorrow morning for a special announcement”
Tomorrow at 9:45 PM ET (10:45 AM in Japan) — video uploaded to the official site showing off the Dr. Mario stage and a new character, released immediately afterwards

If I could dream…

Tomorrow at 3:00 AM ET (4:00 PM in Japan) — a few more Mii costumes revealed, “tune in to smashbros.com tomorrow morning for a special announcement”
Tomorrow at 9:45 PM ET (10:45 AM in Japan) — video uploaded to the official site showing off the Dr. Mario stage and a new character, released immediately afterwards

Since the Doctor Mario screenshots appear to be press pieces from NoE, there's still a possibility for a character, I guess. If they decided not to put
Wolf
into the screenshots for the stage, we won't know.

Although wherever the leaker got the screenshots from, you'd think he'd grab the Mii costumes and whatever else was there, but he didn't. So there's a very slight possibility for more.

Can't tell if this is a joke.

I play time mode almost exclusively, only play stocks on request of friends.

Time mode encourage engaging, as opposed to playing cowardly.
Whaaaaaaaaat

Time mode encourages camping with fox's blaster for kill stealing lol. You're honestly the first person I've met who preferred it.

On Wii U, please. It still baffles me that one stage that has been in every smash game, besides final destination maybe, is locked to the 3ds version and not the superior console version...

agreed

they could even trade a Wii U level and send it to the 3DS version as DLC.

Here's my formula for charactership in Smash.

1. Get noticed by Sakurai
2. Be liked enough by Sakurai
3. Become a character in Smash

Steps 1 and 2 are where all the debate are for most people, things like sakurai quotes and arguments of relevance are thrown around.

In reality I think we are for more concerned with what Sakurai says/thinks than Sakurai himself does, which is where the whole "I cant believe Sakurai put that character in!" comes from

The NA Press actually notes that more than just Mii Costumes will be announced tomorrow, from Facebook
We’ll be releasing an update for Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and Nintendo 3DS on July 31st! This update will add Tourney mode and the option to post Replays on YouTube to the Wii U version. There will also be paid DLC of new Mii Fighter costumes and new stages for both versions. Stay tuned for more details!

Also it confirms the update is Friday in NA, which means no late night Thursday update I guess.

Oh yea, and the DLC stages are confirmed for both versions, if anyone doubted they were.

I'd be up if Dixie doesn't happen now for a 4th-wall breaking Cranky Kong who simultaneously does old man kung fu and spawns old arcade shit to fight.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
So the real kicker for the Doc stage for me is not the stage itself being great looking.

It's a very minor detail not many people noticed about Peach's Castle. The stage itself in the image is at a very slightly different angle than the only other full screenshot we have of it.

Now you might say "well, he just took an upressed shot of the N64 stage" and I would say that's quite impossible. The smoking gun is the skybox. The Smash 4 version is completely different, there's way more clouds in the back of the castle that aren't there on the 64, but are clearly present on the Stage Select Screen image from the leak.

So a faker would have had to notice the new skybox. Recreate the new skybox (perfectly). And hack it into a Smash 64 ROM that had the resolution and texture filtering modified and take a screenshot only for it to be a very slightly different angle than an already existing screenshot of the stage.

CLEErI4UcAAtFus.jpg

CLEEq8RUcAAZ8e3.jpg

JoeM86

How will that work? The Japanese Twitter says Friday morning, and Friday morning in Japan is Thursday night in America.

It won't be simultaneous launch as that broke the eShop last month. They'll stagger it like they did with Mewtwo.

Zubz

Banned
Can't tell if this is a joke.

I play time mode almost exclusively, only play stocks on request of friends.

Time mode encourage engaging, as opposed to playing cowardly.

That's true, but on top of Time Mode encouraging the person in the lead to just lame it out unless someone else can catch up, there's always the option to put a timer on a stock match. 2 minutes just feels too short, because a lot of my matches with friends tend to get intense at around the 4 minute mark. By 10 minutes, matches do get too long, so when we use the timer, that's how long it goes for.

90% of the timed matches I've accidentally played ended in a stalemate.

I love that you added "accidentally." But yeah; for awhile, my friends and I were cool playing a Time Match if we forgot to set the fight to Stock for awhile, and we almost always had a 3-4 way stalemate at the end of the match because everyone usually got 1 kill, and got killed once. The winner of those fights boiled down to who remembered that Bob-Ombs start dropping in Sudden Death first; at least half the players per Sudden Death round would forget about that and would get hit before they realized what was going on.

Nowadays, if we accidentally leave Time Mode on, two of the guys I usually play Smash make a game out of seeing who can ragequit first.

pizzacat

Banned
Hey guys, I just found some pretty legit screens from 4chan that indicate that cut Dr. Mario stage is coming. Here are the screenshots.

Here are the rest: http://imgur.com/a/Q0b47
If it is fake, then it's probably done by that Rayman guy.

Can't wait till he rolls his chair again

that chair thing didn't even work since no one knew who he was so it wasn't like the "oh shit it's you" moment the guy was hoping for.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
As for Wolf, is there really any doubt that he'll get in the game?

You are right. There is no doubt that wolf would be in the game. Unless I would be surprised that he didn't make in the game.

Already turned into a DLC baloot thread ?

Sorta, but better than bitchfest.

Oh, the only screenshot for Peach's Castle I found was

those two pictures were released last night on the twitter.

It won't be simultaneous launch as that broke the eShop last month. They'll stagger it like they did with Mewtwo.

Source?

Zubz

Banned
that chair thing didn't even work since no one knew who he was so it wasn't like the "oh shit it's you" moment the guy was hoping for.

I mean, at this point, Omni could totally pull that off, but I think he just wanted to have some fun with it when he did the Rayman hoax.

What are all the "rules" or "predictions" that have been broken so far? Or just things you wouldnt have expected. A few I can think of..

Only one third party character per company (Ryu)

Has a trophy in game so can't be in (Mewtwo, Lucas)

Music in the game means there won't be a new stage for that franchise (Dr. Mario stage)

A character can't get in because he's "redundant" (Roy, 5th FE character and Marth had a new clone)

Characters can't get in because their moves are used as someone else's custom moves (Lucas)

Other interesting things...

A new playable character was indirectly revealed in a previous trailer (Dark Pit)

Playable characters can also be on stage backgrounds (Toon Link, Dedede)

Playable characters can get Mii costumes (Link)

But of course, K.Rool deconfirmed.

javadoze

Here we go again.

That said, I really love the Great Bay stage in Melee and the Dr.Mario stage is also pretty neat-looking. I'm pretty surprised how quick the turnaround was for these stages. Sakurai's team is fast.

Zubz

Banned

I think that was just his assumption.

He knew what smash does to people. What's fun in the body count going up?

:(

Well, as an artist, it gave him attention. I mean, I'm assuming that the series he started after the Rayman hoax isn't paying for his rent, but it's earning him a decent bit of money on the side. The fact that he fooled so many people would definitely be a good conversation point if an actual company wanted him to do art for them. Plus, people like the series, and a lot of the designs are cool. I really like how they looked at Smash playing-up the "Mega Man's a robot" angle and applied it to their Bomberman render, for example. He said he didn't expect the backlash to be so strong, but in all, he said it was a blast.

Ahnez

What are all the "rules" or "predictions" that have been broken so far? Or just things you wouldnt have expected. A few I can think of..

Only one third party character per company (Ryu)

Has a trophy in game so can't be in (Mewtwo, Lucas)

Music in the game means there won't be a new stage for that franchise (Dr. Mario stage)

A character can't get in because he's "redundant" (Roy, 5th FE character and Marth had a new clone)

Characters can't get in because their moves are used as someone else's custom moves (Lucas)

Other interesting things...

A new playable character was indirectly revealed in a previous trailer (Dark Pit)

Playable characters can also be on stage backgrounds (Toon Link, Dedede)

Playable characters can get Mii costumes (Link)

But of course, K.Rool deconfirmed.

Sakurai said so (Villager)

The doctor mario stage looks incredibly unfun to fight on due to its small size and how big the pills and viruses are, so its probably real

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I think that was just his assumption.

I know it was his assumption but he just need to be careful with his words because we know that some people would take Serebii's words as gossips.

Well them doing it in the morning in Japan and still listed as Friday in the US & Europe for a start :p

But you're right. I probably should have said that it'll probably be the case. My apologies.

That's fine. You don't need to apologized for that! I just want to make sure that people know that it's your assumption rather than your opinions as facts.

The doctor mario stage looks incredibly unfun to fight on due to its small size and how big the pills and viruses are, so its probably real

LMFAOOO RIGHT!? i just saw it and was like man that looks so boring i can totally see it being real. for all of smash bro's strengths, their stages aren't one of them. i wish someone else would do the stages cause whoever is in charge of them now isn't that good, theres only a handful of good stages.

Neiteio

I can totally picture Sakurai thinking, "If people are paying money for it, they'll want lots of crazy whacky bullshit," so yeah, makes me think the Dr. Mario stage is real.

Ryce

I can totally picture Sakurai thinking, "If people are paying money for it, they'll want lots of crazy whacky bullshit," so yeah, makes me think the Dr. Mario stage is real.
To be fair, a Dr. Mario stage is inherently going to be whacky. A safe, static stage wouldn't suit the series.

JoeM86

I know it was his assumption but he just need to be careful with his words because we know that some people would take Serebii's words as gossips.

That's fine. You don't need to apologized for that! I just want to make sure that people know that it's your assumption rather than your opinions as facts.

Yeah, I've neglected the tagline a few times lately. My apologies.

Top Bottom