• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

gtj1092

I'm not really worried about Japanese games being cross gen. It's not as if though if it was Ps4 only they would push graphics that hard.

jman2050

Didn't Star Ocean 3 piss a lot of people off as well?

They cried about anime cliches (understandable) and MP death (cause they're crybabies)

SO4 was terrible but SO3 was good enough that I can't help but maintain some semblance of optimism here.

Tsunamo

Well colour me surprised, not only did we get something good out of a Square-Enix teaser site but we've got Tri-Ace working on a console title again. Maybe one day we'll get Valkyrie Profile 3 afterall.
I hope they hire a decent writer.
SO4's story was garbage.
That's basically my one wish for this game.

Philippo

Knew it was for PS4 but the addition of a PS3 version is surprising.

I just hope the focus is more on the next-gen version so that it won't be held back too much.

Also, is it me or between this and Dissidia, SE is slowly moving back to PS exclusives?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Must be great for publishers to be so easily rewarded by lowered expectations. I guess this is also how Ubisoft keeps making billions. "I don't care if it's crap, I'm just glad they're making more Assassin's Creed!" :D

Because come on dude, a console JRPG that is not named Final Fantasy, from Square Enix of all companies, and especially Tri Ace, a company that last we heard of them was changing direction to focus more on mobile?--not to mention how much mobile heavy Square is now..... against all odds, against all odds, we have a new console JRPG... for PS4!

It'll all seem so unbelievable that the fact it exists in the first place is a miracle in itself.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Must be great for publishers to be so easily rewarded by lowered expectations. I guess this is also how Ubisoft keeps making billions. "I don't care if it's crap, I'm just glad they're making more Assassin's Creed!" :D

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

KainXVIII

I only played first two games and finished only second one (it was mediocre at best), but still it is new tri-Ace game for home consoles!

Crocodile

Did Japan hate the story/characters of SO4 as much as the West did? I need to know that some sort of feedback akin to "the story/characters are ASSSSSSSS" made it to the eyes/ears of the developers and they took the correct steps to fix them.

ViciousDS

Banned
I don't believe it........this truly is going to be a hell of amazing future for gaming. So excited!

michigan-state-bro-smacks-his-buddy-in-the-face.gif

Estellise

This is exciting! I didn't expect it at all honestly. Though I hope it isn't like SO4 at all. I want a story that's good like SO1 and SO2. I personally didn't enjoy SO3's story much either.
That whole "plot twist" was weird.
I'm hoping for better voice acting as well (in regards to SO4 mostly).

Arthea

Maybe there is a chance for valkyrie profile 3?
This announcment proves that Tri-Ace and SE can work together

Don't do this to me, pretty please
Even if we'll get SO5 (can the SE survey have something to do with it, btw?), that doesn't mean anything for VP, unfortunately.

Did Japan hate the story/characters of SO4 as much as the West did? I need to know that some sort of feedback akin to "the story/characters are ASSSSSSSS" made it to the eyes/ears of the developers and they took the correct steps to fix them.

I don't know about hate, but suffice to say they didn't love it.

I'll admit I've never really liked or cared about any of the SO games, but the fact it is a real game unlike BoF6 makes me extremely happy.

-Oath

Didn't Star Ocean 3 piss a lot of people off as well?
Did it? I mean I dont remember it being a universal hit but I dont remember it being torn apart either. I remember it pretty fondly.

I couldve worded that better. Its more like Im glad theyre getting another shot at the series and Im down for it even if its SO4 all over again as this may be the last one if what Ive heard about Tri Ace as of recent is accurate. It would be great if we got a SO2 calibur game but as of now Im just glad the series has another breath. Its not like this is some annual installment.

batbeg

So I guess the SO1+2 PSP remasters aren't on PSN? I'll have to hunt down some physical copies though I would've loved to play them on my PSTV. Making SO3 a Playstation Classic would be cool too. tri-Ace have long been considered one of my favorite developers ever for the Valkyrie Profile games, Infinite Undiscovery, and Resonance of Fate, but I've just never really thought to try out their main series.

Because come on dude, a console JRPG that is not named Final Fantasy, from Square Enix of all companies, and especially Tri Ace, a company that last we heard of them was changing direction to focus more on mobile?--not to mention how much mobile heavy Square is now..... against all odds, against all odds, we have a new console JRPG... for PS4!

It'll all seem so unbelievable that the fact it exists in the first place is a miracle in itself.

tri-Ace weren't moving to a mobile focus, they were bought by a mobile-centric publisher. It was pretty obvious though that they would still be able to be contracted by other companies so long as their publisher would agree to it.

It's tri-Ace so I don't even care about that, just let Takayuki Suguro direct it if he's not going to get any more VP or RoF to direct. Then maybe I'll care about SO again. :p

I almost hope he isn't so I can hold onto hope they're making the most amazing VP3 ever.

SkylineRKR

Unexpected that its even console exclusive, but SO4 did fairly well on Ps3 for such a late port.

Cross-gen is sort of eh but expected.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I just hope the focus is more on the next-gen version so that it won't be held back too much.

Also, is it me or between this and Dissidia, SE is slowly moving back to PS exclusives?
They're getting assistance from SCEJ this time around so yes.

Kouriozan

Or it's just that Xbox One manage to sell even less that Xbox 360 in Japan.

Top Bottom