• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

Akira Yasuda? Well maybe there is a chance that this -

"There’s also another character named Lilia, a girl who has lost her memories"

... and there it is.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I remember how hyped I was for Star Ocean 4 when those first screens came out:

vDkFJp9.jpg

odEJ4uU.jpg

Then they filled it with the worst characters and story ever and I completely avoided. SE going to have to show a hell of a lot of good and essentially reboot the entire direction to gain attention again.

Qvoth

if i'm reading correctly, seems like battles can seamlessly occur during events and depending on the outcomes you can have branching results?

Yeah according to the Famitsu leaks, Akiman is doing the character designs. That's pretty interesting. The battle system is a seamless real time battle system, you mash buttons to do combos, and the attacks you do are based on how far you are from an enemy. Apparently it's quite a substantial feature, showing the main characters, combat, event scenes, etc.
Good good

OmegaDL50

Okay this fantastic news. tri-Ace is developing it. Even better. I am pratically overjoyed right now. Let me emphasis that tri-Ace are one of my favorite developers of all time, so I am understating how pleased I am with this news.

Now the biggest issue though is the original battle programmer Yuichiro Kitao recently left the company.

One of the biggest aspects of tri-Ace games was their interesting action oriented combat systems, and Yuichiro Kitao was the man who did the main programming for them.

Now with the possibility that tri-Ace had to hire an entirely new lead battle programmer, does this mean that the combat system of Star Ocean 5 won't have the same feel or mechanics that was represented in games like Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean 3, 4, or Resonance of Fate.

There was always some similarities share between each tri-Ace games in their combat systems, and my issue is because of their being a new programmer involved, that this similar feel in terms of mechanics will not be the same and Star Ocean 5 will be feel remarkably different then it's predecessors.

I say this with no ego, that I am a HUGE tri-Ace fanboy, so I am extremely elated that Star Ocean 5 is announced, but I am also cautiously optimistic despite Yuichiro Kitao leaving the company.

I'll admit it, I never played a Star Ocean game longer than a few hours, bhut I'm cautiously optimistic for this. I'll take any new gen JRPG I can get.

duckroll

Akira Yasuda? Well maybe there is a chance that this -

"There’s also another character named Lilia, a girl who has lost her memories"

... and there it is.

Not just her memories, but her emotions too! Imagine the tri-Ace gold standard of a creepy doll like little girl with no memories or emotions with huge eyes and a terrible dub! I can't wait! :p

benzy

Doesn't look that different from Mass Effect 3 on PS3, which I am currently playing:

227199-mass_effect_3_multiplayer.jpeg

Small pic but you get the idea. I would not be worried about PS3 holding it back. It probably was never meant to look extremely next-gen.

Outside of a similar color tone it's a pretty big difference. Shadows and lighting are real-time (if it's like SO4 we'll probably have a day-night cycle), brokeh blur, high poly models, physical-based rendering, they have a model to mimmick indirect illumination, they basically gave us a glimpse of stuff we're seeing on current-gen.

tech_comp_3_s.jpg

mp__4__bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

wapplew

Yeah according to the Famitsu leaks, Akiman is doing the character designs. That's pretty interesting. The battle system is a seamless real time battle system, you mash buttons to do combos, and the attacks you do are based on how far you are from an enemy. Apparently it's quite a substantial feature, showing the main characters, combat, event scenes, etc.

Akiman as in Street fighter's Akiman? I love his work!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Well, surprising to see Tri-Ace working on a console game so soon. And very surprising to see a PS3 version for a game that will release in...2016! Of course, it won't come out in the West on PS3, but still quite surprised.

And yes, it seems that, this gen, Sony is getting more exclusive support from Square compared to the past gen, when the majority of their console games were PS3/360

redcrayon

I really want to be excited about this, I loved the battle engine of SOIV, but the cast and dialogue were mindnumbingly awful. Like FF, I'm not going to expect much from this until I see some impressions from a finsihed build.

Kudo

Not just her memories, but her emotions too! Imagine the tri-Ace gold standard of a creepy doll like little girl with no memories or emotions with huge eyes and a terrible dub! I can't wait! :p

Count me in too, it's been too long and I'd take Lymle any day over Lightning in my game.

Hurried shit translation:

地球から6000光年離れた未開の惑星フェイクリードが舞台。

Setting: 6000 lightyears from earth, the uncharted land "fakeleed ???"

フェデル・カミューズ(CV:石川界人)
主人公。剣術が得意で、村の治安を守っている

Fedel* Camuze - Main Character. Sword Wielding. Protector of his village.

ミキ・ソーヴェスタ(CV:東山奈央)
ヒロイン。主人公の幼馴染で、兄のように慕っている

Miki Sovesta - Main character's childhood friends. Seems him as an older brother.

リリア(CV:?)
記憶と感情を失った少女。

Lilia - A girl who has lost both her memories and ... emotions?

スクリーンショットには金髪剣士や青髪の魔女が戦闘に参加している。

In a screenshot there is a blond haired swordsman and blue haired witch in battle.

戦闘はシームレスリアルタイムバトル。
敵との距離によって攻撃方法が変化し、連続で押すことによりコンボが発動。

Combat are "seamless realtime battle."
Your combat options change based on the distance between you and your enemies. Combos arise from button mashing? I can't have read this right.

従来のイベントシーンに加え、イベント中に敵が襲ってくるなどのシームレスイベントも登場。
このイベントで仲間が敵に捕縛されたりすると、展開の分岐や異なる結末になることも

Some sort of "seamless event" system is being enacted. So this means that a cutscene will seamlessly transition into a battle. It also appears to mean that what happens in a battle, for example in once instance where your party members are "captured/apprehended" by the enemy, it will somehow affect how the story/cutscenes play out.

開発:トライエース
キャラデザ:あきまん
プロデューサー:小林秀一
ディレクター:小川浩
リードプログラマー:五反田義治

Tri-Ace
Blah blah blah

*I misread it, oops lol.

Shahed

Well this is a surprisingly welcome announcement! Love the Star Ocean games. Even SO4 played really well in general even if the characters and narrative held it back a lot. Slightly disappointing that there's a PS3 version. Not that I was expecting a technical masterpiece, but it'll always be in the back of my mind when playing it. Still at least it's releasing!

Have we any news on the timeframe expected?

Outside of a similar color tone it's a pretty big difference. Shadows and lighting are real-time (if it's like SO4 we'll probably have a day-night cycle), brokeh blur, high poly models, physical-based rendering, they have a model to mimmick indirect illumination, they basically gave us a glimpse of stuff we're seeing on current-gen.

tech_comp_3_s.jpg

mp__4__bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

Correct points but please remember even Dragon Age 3 is on PS3. On freaking PS3. And it does not look terribad! And it did not stop the PS4 version to look incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTBLTuGQdXI

I have hope in Square/ Tri-Ace to deliver a good-to-great looking SO5 on the PS4 and a passable-to-good looking SO5 on the PS3.

Soriku

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/14/star-ocean-5-details-main-characters-battle-system/

Star Ocean 5 takes place on a planet called Feycreed, which is 6,000 light-years away from the planet Earth. The full title is Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness.

Fedel Camus: The protagonist. He specializes in swordsmanship, and maintains the peace and order of the town.

Miki Sorvesta: The heroine. She’s a childhood friend of the protagonist, and loves Fedel like an older brother.

Lilia: A young girl who has lost her feelings and memories.

The screenshots for the game show a blonde swordsman and a blue-haired witch or magic girl fighting in combat. Battles take place in real-time seamless fashion, and attacking methods change according to the distance between you and the enemy. You can perform combos by inputting multiple button presses.

In addition to having plenty of event scenes like in past Star Ocean titles, there will be seamless events where enemies will attack you in the middle of some events. If party members get captured by enemies in these events, it can change the story and ending of the game.

Characters are designed by Akiman, while Shuichi Kobayashi is the producer. Meanwhile, Hiro Ogawa is the director, and Yoshiharu Gotanda is the lead programmer for Star Ocean 5.

OmegaDL50

Who is the battle programmer? that is what I want to know.

Does anyone know or have a list of recent hires from tri-Ace or confirmed active developers.

My previous post in this topic explains my concern.

@gkTH

So, from now Japanese developers are avoiding releasing their title on XB1 ?
Is this a trend for this generation? HOLY YES !!

Hurried shit translation:

地球から6000光年離れた未開の惑星フェイクリードが舞台。

Setting: 6000 lightyears from earth, the uncharted land "fakeleed ???"

フェデル・カミューズ(CV:石川界人)
主人公。剣術が得意で、村の治安を守っている

Fidel Camuze - Main Character. Sword Wielding. Protector of his village.

ミキ・ソーヴェスタ(CV:東山奈央)
ヒロイン。主人公の幼馴染で、兄のように慕っている

Miki Sovesta - Main character's childhood friends. Seems him as an older brother.

リリア(CV:?)
記憶と感情を失った少女。

Lilia - A girl who has lost both her memories and ... emotions?

I hope Amamiya Sora or Kana Hanazawa won't have any voice role, i'm sick of these 2 VAs.

Squire

Banned

tech_comp_3_s.jpg

mp__4__bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

The first footage will be interesting.

I imagine they pitched this and were turned down, but Masuda was interested where Wada was not and he signed it.

It definitely hasn't been in the works since 2011. SO isn't anywhere near worth that kind of time/money investment. SE isn't that stupid.

Top Bottom