• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness announced (PS3/PS4, tri-Ace)

I'm liking what I hear about the combat.

I enjoyed SO 4 the same way I enjoyed the Room. If they decide to go and make the story good I feel like it would lose something important.

duckroll

Akiman as in Street fighter's Akiman? I love his work!

Yeah but I expect his work for this to be more like what he did for Gundam True Odyssey (MS Saga):

lCw2fhp.jpg

開発:トライエース
キャラデザ:あきまん
プロデューサー:小林秀一
ディレクター:小川浩
リードプログラマー:五反田義治

Damn, Hiroshi Ogawa is directing. Well, he's done good design work before, but Infinite Undiscovery was the last project he led and that turned out to be dogshit. Hope it turns out better this time. :p

Where is Suguro... :(

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Main character Fidel C. in a Star Ocean game.
Now I've seen it all.

glaurung

Incredible... For once, those silly countdown pages do not disappoint.

But why oh why do they want to do this a cross-generation game? I know that PS3s are as common as coffee mugs nowadays, but why not focus on a proper PS4 engine?

I've never played a Star Ocean game before. Is it similar to Final Fantasy in that each game is seperate? There aren't exactly a lot JRPGs on PS4 right now so think I want to check this out.

Negator

I've never played a Star Ocean game before. Is it similar to Final Fantasy in that each game is seperate? There aren't exactly a lot JRPGs on PS4 right now so think I want to check this out.

They're all in the same universe but do not require previous knowledge of past games.

Can someone explain to me how SO4's cast was worse than FFX's? I'm not seeing it. Both had like 2 interesting characters and a handful of other losers who ranged from boring to aggravating.

I think we'll probably get Kayano Ai lol
She's alright, i like her voice.

Yeah but I expect his work for this to be more like what he did for Gundam True Odyssey (MS Saga):

Damn, Hiroshi Ogawa is directing. Well, he's done good design work before, but Infinite Undiscovery was the last project he led and that turned out to be dogshit. Hope it turns out better this time. :p

I think IU suffered to limited develop time, the game had potential.

Crocodile

Fedel Camus: The protagonist. He specializes in swordsmanship, and maintains the peace and order of the town.

Miki Sorvesta: The heroine. She’s a childhood friend of the protagonist, and loves Fedel like an older brother.

Lilia: A young girl who has lost her feelings and memories.

Not that these can't be good/fun characters since even the oldest of tropes/cliches can be executed well but talk about starting on a bad foot LOL. While its true there isn't much to work with here, the start isn't optimistic.

SgtCobra

Yeah but XV and T0 releasing for XBO too, i thought that would be SE approach for the whole gen.
Next gen development started in 2011 or something like that right?
Nobody would've predicted this generation to pan out like it is right now, most people expected close battle between the two consoles (I'm not including the Wii U for obvious reasons). Also, FFT-0 sales were abysmal on the XB1 so it wouldn't surprise me if Square Enix got a wake up call on what they can and can't release for the Xbox One.
They can't afford to cancel their biggest Japanese games (FFXV & KH3) for one console which already has their respective versions of said games announced for years.

Rather than a "wait and see if it turns out okay," let's go with "wait and see if it's salvageable."

LuuKyK

WHEN I AM ALONE I FEEL SO LONELY, NEVER FORGET KAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!?

lol No, but seriously, what kind of bizarro reality we live in that Square Enix is back to teasing something worth waiting for (first Deus Ex, now this). Wow, and tri-ace too. I need some time to let the news sink in.

Story sounds... well, it's a generic start, but that doesn't mean it's bad. Maybe you play as the 'medieval fantasy' kid for once, while the 'sci-fi crash-lander' is the one with amnesia.

Not that these can't be good/fun characters since even the oldest of tropes/cliches can be executed well but talk about starting on a bad foot LOL. While its true there isn't much to work with here, the start isn't optimistic.

Most recent anime-style story always start like that, childhood friend vs mystery girl lol.

duckroll

Preparing Valkyrie Profile: Hrist, of course.

Believe

Don't say "for iOS"

I don't care what he does, I just want him to be making something. He has really good ideas when it comes to combat, customization, and general game design. Hope he hasn't left tri-Ace, or if he has, hope he joined another developer who makes stuff on a regular basis! :( :( :(

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Oh no kidding he did the artwork for that game? I actually enjoyed it for what it was back then.

Infinite Undiscovery director?

Fuck.

Oh god what?!

...Sweet mother, we might actually get good looking art and character designs if the 3D modelers don't screw up.

tumblr_m0nvip54Ce1rr769xo1_500.jpg

chunli-spinningbird-akiman.jpg

Considering the previous game had nice 2d character design and horrible 3d models will not really be too optimistic until we actually see proof that its not going to be a train wreck again with the 3d model side of things lol

Tesseract

Banned
the setting and characters sounds like typical jrpg shit

should've given it to a western team, japan se is dead to me

as a so fiend, i am already despairs

aravuus

Wait wait wait, IU director, peace-keeping swordsman protagonist accompanied by childhood friend and a little girl that has lost her memories/feelings/HUMANITY??

Fucking lol this is going to be great

Still nice to get JRPGs on the consoles tho haha

DOWN

Banned
Guess their next-gen engine that they started building after SO4 won't go to waste. It'd be a shame if the ps3 version is gonna hold them back.

NCloudTriAce09.jpg
Of course it is going to hold them back. Can't make a core feature in current gen if it won't run on last gen.

-Oath

well, cliche or no, we all have our childhood friends, that's simply how it is.

Lets be honest here, not everyone has or keeps friends from their childhood. A break from that trope wouldve been nice but Id rather have childhood friends in this game than an emotionless doll like little girl character.

Anyone who didn't care for SO4's cast and is interested in this game by the description of the new cast already that should be alarm bells for you to bail out.

Top Bottom