• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I've got a bad feeling about this.

harrison-ford-plane-crash-memes-were-fine.gif

Werd

Nice. 100% obviously won't hold up, just from the premiere people alone, but 37:0 with an 8.7 average is a good indicator that it will be mid 80s or higher. Not going to read any full reviews unless I see them posted in the OT as reasonably spoiler-free though.

Tons of movies that get 80% or higher start this way. Still excited though.

I was just posting the current score. I didn't say it would stay anywhere near 100 - that would be crazy

Edit: May have misread your post. Yeah it's definitely a strong start but I expect it to drop at least 10% once more top critics weigh in

Peru

Everything is pretty much pointless.

RT has been particularly damaging to film criticism, though. People now think generally acceptable but unexciting movies are the best-reviewed ever because of it. And they don't need to actually read the reviews when they can see the binary average and a blurb.

I'm excited this movie's getting good reviews but not keen on following the fresh percentage obsession.

CassSept

42/42 fresh, still going strong.

I mean, hell, Avengers got 92% on RT. It's just an aggregate of positive reviews, there is no reason why this couldn't stay at around 95% if TFA is exactly what everyone's been asking for all this time.

Here is ours! (Hint: we liked it.)

[Review] Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is not a great film, but it flirts with that designation far more often than this lapsed fan could have ever expected. If what we’re seeing herein is the planting of new seeds that will pay off two, four, or forty years down the line, I suspect this franchise is in its best-ever state; how fortunate that this also, more simply, makes for a good time at the movies.

It's halfway from being "Certified Fresh" eligible on Rotten Tomatoes. To be "Certified Fresh", a movie needs to be 75% or higher consistently, have 80 reviews (5 from "Top Critics"). After it stays above 75% for enough time it keeps its "Certified Fresh" status unless it falls under 70%.

Joeytj

Banned
Oh wow, it's staying at 100% with 40 fresh, 0 rotten...

10 Top Critics, all fresh too.

Still think it'll stay at just above 90% maybe even lower, but damn, didn't expect these much reviews at once and all fresh.

I realized reviews were hitting when I got a (very exciting) Guardian alert, of all things.

Damn, less than 36 hours to go. I regret not buying day one tickets now.

K.Sabot

I just want this to spawn a new extended universe.

or more old republic games

There's never enough red meat sci-fi in the movies themselves.

UberTag

Mad Max: Fury Road isn't going to win GAF's Movie of the Year award any more now, is it? :(

Don't fret... I'm excited for Star Wars. Have tickets to two screenings this weekend.

Mad Max: Fury Road isn't going to win GAF's Movie of the Year award any more now, is it? :(

Don't fret... I'm excited for Star Wars. Have tickets to two screenings this weekend.

The ability to blow up cars in the desert is insignificant next to the power of The Force

Oersted

RT has been particularly damaging to film criticism, though. People now think generally acceptable but unexciting movies are the best-reviewed ever because of it. And they don't need to actually read the reviews when they can see the binary average and a blurb.

I'm excited this movie's getting good reviews but not keen on following the fresh percentage obsession.

Rotten Romatoes is fed by/feeding of the fanboys desire for societal acceptance and reconformation, thus pushing critical thinking/analysis out of the mainstream. Reviewers instead of critics. Its sad, but I guess it can't be helped.

Holy shit, Peru. You actually knocked it out of the park with this post.

I'll tip my hat to you this time.

I'm not a person to defend the integrity of RT, but I see it as mostly light hearted fun (yes, there can be an element of entertainment in these things). Obviously, it's not a fully accurate measure of quality (like I've said before, the grey area where a movie can be either good or bad in the RT% is pretty wide), and it's specially bad with movies that came out before RT was a thing, but these threads and discussions are fun. Plus, only dumb dumbs would take it that seriously.

I don't know, I'm still pretty confident it will. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom