• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who says this?

It's been happening roughly twice a month, every month, for the past SIX MONTHS, here on Movie-GAF alone, dude. And that's just this one forum.

I'm fairly certain I can find your posts in those threads, too.

Someone else on facebook tried to be like "Is this really a thing? Because I haven't noticed it and if I don't notice something it probably doesn't exist at all." And I'm starting to think that if people read that and seem befuddled at the very idea of the premise, they might be the fans I'm discussing in the article itself.

Tobor

It's been happening roughly twice a month, every month, for the past SIX MONTHS, here on Movie-GAF alone, dude. And that's just this one forum.

I'm fairly certain I can find your posts in those threads, too.

Someone else on facebook tried to be like "Is this really a thing? Because I haven't noticed it and if I don't notice something it probably doesn't exist at all." And I'm starting to think that if people read that and seem befuddled at the very idea of the premise, they might be the fans I'm discussing in the article itself.

I know it happens here, it's nerds talking to nerds. I just haven't heard this line of thinking amongst normals.

That said, I'm old. Maybe it's the millennials. I can't imagine anyone in my age bracket worrying about this.

What an awful review: http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...an-imax-3d-experience/MovieTimes?oid=19583944

Somehow they are considered a top critic by Rotten Tomatoes. I don't care if someone doesn't like the movie, but the review is ridiculously short (like a paragraph or two) and makes mistakes about the cast.

Edit- I don't know if this is looked down upon, but I will quote the review because it is that short:

The franchise that wrecked American cinema is back, with fanboy auteur J.J. Abrams (Star Trek, Mission: Impossible III) taking the reins from series creator George Lucas. I'll spare you the scrolling yellow text, but suffice it to say that this brings back the coed trio of the original trilogy 30 years after their previous exploits (Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill) while prepping a new trio of young bucks to replicate the seniors' chemistry (Oscar Isaac, Billie Lourd, John Boyega). As with other installments, this is less a movie than an exercise in massaging a juvenile-minded audience that wants the experience to be new and familiar at the same time. With Adam Driver and Domhnall Gleeson.

That's the entirety of the review. Like I said, I don't care if someone doesn't like the movie, but don't tell me this is a review. It reads like one of those blurbs in a movie theater brochures that tells theater patrons what movies are coming out in the following months.

What an awful review: http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...an-imax-3d-experience/MovieTimes?oid=19583944

Somehow they are considered a top critic by Rotten Tomatoes. I don't care if someone doesn't like the movie, but the review is ridiculously short (like a paragraph or two) and makes mistakes about the cast.

Edit- I don't know if this is looked down upon, but I will quote the review because it is that short:

That's the entirety of the review.

lmao. I mean, is there even a quality check at rottentomatoes? Can you report this stuff?

Syf

Banned

Somehow they are considered a top critic by Rotten Tomatoes. I don't care if someone doesn't like the movie, but the review is ridiculously short (like a paragraph or two) and makes mistakes about the cast..
"The franchise that wrecked American cinema is back, with fanboy auteur J.J. Abrams"

Yeah that tells you all you need to know about the reviewer. Brutal that this is considered a top critic.

4-5-6 1-2-3 (or skip that shit entirely) is the only order.
Yup.

I mean, once you've seen the movies marathon them in any order you want, whatever, but good luck selling a newbie on that machete shit. Especially given how the OT and supposedly VII works independently of the prequels, they're hardly essential as you don't learn much about the relevant characters that wasn't summed up by a few lines of exposition in the original films.

I dunno about wrecked American cinema but uh, fanboy auteur doesn't sound that off to me. JJ is a self admitted Spielberg and Star Wars stan and he's also an auteur.

Blader

"The franchise that wrecked American cinema" :lol

The 70s era ended because the filmmakers lost their minds and became hugely financially irresponsible and started bombing badly with other people's money. Its been over 30 years now, time to get over it.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

That's the entirety of the review.

Movie critics are like wine critics. Full of shit.

Nodnol

I saw it twice in the space of 14 or so hours. Second time I liked it even more.

Despite its flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Star Wars is back. The characters, and the actors betraying them are the most exciting thing about the film, and the ones that will follow.

I'd say it's more entertaining than ANH, but not as tidy.

That's the entirety of the review. Like I said, I don't care if someone doesn't like the movie, but don't tell me this is a review. It reads like one of those blurbs in a movie theater brochures that tells theater patrons what movies are coming out in the following months.

He didn't seem to care about the things he's complaining about in 2009

He also didn't seem to have a problem with Star Wars in 2005

People change their opinions over time? These are different movies?
There's nothing wrong with opinions changing over time. That's still no excuse to write a review like the movie kicked your ass in middle school and you still hold a grudge against it. Don't like the movie, whatever, opinions and all, but come on.

Top critic isn't really assigned by critic, but by outlet. Whoever submits the review for said outlet becomes the "top critic" for that outlet.

That is some bullshit.

maxcriden

I still cringe thinking of Leia and the ROTJ stuff. Ugh. Man. That slave Leia outfit really set back female characters in sci-fi for years.

Does the new movie have anything like that? :/ I'd think not because I want to think times have changed, but then I think of the ridiculous Into Darkness sequence....

I still cringe thinking of Leia and the ROTJ stuff. Ugh. Man. That slave Leia outfit really set back female characters in sci-fi for years.

Does the new movie have anything like that? :/ I'd think not because I want to think times have changed, but then I think of the ridiculous Into Darkness sequence....
Nah, not that I remember

Lego Boss

The last time I went to the cinema was for Genisys.

I liked it.

As you can probably guess I don't get out much, so I'm pretty excited that I've booked tickets to go and see this with my wife on Saturday night.

As long as it's substantially above Ep 1 then that's fine with me (it doesn't have to be V, IV or even VI standard), but I seriously can't see how it can be as good as it is reviewing, it's gotta just be the hype muthaship.

Remember The Matrix sequels? They were well reviewed and the reality is that they were poor films (not saying this will be, Abrams never really makes a bad film/TV series).

Here's to going out again!

No. At one point, it feels like the move is playing into a (extremely minor spoilers)
"damsel in distress"
meme but there is eventually a nice reversal.

The last time I went to the cinema was for Genisys.

I liked it.

As you can probably guess I don't get out much, so I'm pretty excited that I've booked tickets to go and see this with my wife on Saturday night.

As long as it's substantially above Ep 1 then that's fine with me (it doesn't have to be V, IV or even VI standard), but I seriously can't see how it can be as good as it is reviewing, it's gotta just be the hype muthaship.

Remember The Matrix sequels? They were well reviewed and the reality is that they were poor films (not saying this will be, Abrams never really makes a bad film/TV series).

Here's to going out again!
It's definitely better than IV and VI.
IV has pacing issues, VI has ewoks. VII has neither of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom