• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

guek

Banned
Star Wars has a great minimalist plot. Why do you think they retreaded it here?

There's nothing wrong witha minimalist plot, it just shouldn't be one we've already seen in a previous entry.

I haven't actually watched the movie though so maybe I'm talking out of my ass! That's what the majority of the sparse negative criticism seems to point to though.

Too many people care about plot. Fury Road barely had one....

I often wonder if people actually have a decent grasp on what a "plot" actually is when they say stuff like this.
:/

Edit: On the topic of the Rotten score, I was honestly expecting something pretty dang good (J.J. is a very good director, and all of the media has been really great) but I didn't expect it to be in the 90s. I'm gettin' pretty hyped.

Too many people care about plot. Fury Road barely had one. What's the point of a great plot if you don't care about who it's happening to?

Character > plot always.

The paper-thin characters in Fury Road are nothing special at all. I swear, apart from the great action and music, everything else in Fury Road is just bad to average.

In other news, The Force Awakens is down to 94% at the moment.

The paper-thin characters in Fury Road are nothing special at all. I swear, apart from the great action and music, everything else in Fury Road is just bad to average.

In other news, The Force Awakens is down to 94% at the moment.

What a horrible opinion

Anyways, this thread is about Star Wars

Furiosa and Nux are special, well-developed, and interesting characters. There is great cinematography, too. Keep on swearing, though.

inm8num2

Abrams has now made two really good Star Wars movies. It's just the first was called Star Trek. And it was honestly, just a tiny bit better than this one is
hQuVMhY.png

cC71hJY.jpg

Furiosa and Nux are special, well-developed, and interesting characters. There is great cinematography, too. Keep on swearing, though.

But there's no blatant exposition, so that must mean there's no story and characters.

It's funny how Fury Road treated its audience like intelligent people for once and the result is certain groups calling the movie ,,thin" or lacking a story, lol.

Disxo

What was this thread about?

Seems that the movie is fine Im glad this turned up this way, will share my thoughts on monday when I watch it.

Didn't Phantom Menace have great reviews upon release?

I mean I haven't seen the movie yet and I'm sure it's gonna be decent, just tememing that TPM reviewed pretty well.

Shane86

Well the reviews about it being similar to Episode IV certainly weren't lying, the one thing that did surprise me was how funny it was. Kids will love it, although there is one scary scene that is straight out of a horror movie.

guek

Banned
JJ will remake Matrix next. It's the next big franchise that needs a reboot.

Ugh, no. JJ needs to go make his own stuff again (and make sure it's better than Super 8).

He's such a derivative director already, he'd benefit from working on projects that don't already have a lot of history

Tobor

So now people are asking, "What do I need to know? What books do I need to read? What TV shows do I need to binge? What movies do I have to rewatch—and I heard there was a special order I have to watch them in, too? Can some nerd help me out with, like, a three-step plan on how to jump on this stupid bandwagon?"

Who says this? What? Maybe I'm out of touch, but is this a real thing?

Tobor

Lots of people. I've been hearing about the 'right way' to watch Star Wars ever since we entered critical mass on Force Awakens. Like that goddamn Machete Cut

Oh, that crap? It's hardly unusual for a long running series.

I guess I don't get how this is unique or deserves to be the focus of the review.

I loved this film. I can see where the criticisms are coming from; they echo some of the minor (and they are VERY minor) gripes I had...there are a few plotting and pacing issues, and some heavy reliances on nostalgia/callbacks.

Overall, though, this movie is why we go to the theatre.

Yeah, about those mentioning the rebooted Star Trek, I agree that it was absolutely fantastic. It's the only Trek I liked, but I like it even more than any Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom