• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront gameplay

Afrocious

I hope I can use X-Wings and Tie-Figthers similarly to jets in BF3 and 4. I want legit dogfights in the sky and in space.

I played Battlefront 2 on a friend's PC before. It seemed every battle took place on or close to the ground. Were there any battles in space?

What I'm asking is that will I be able to blow up the Death Star like the nerd I am?

I hope I can use X-Wings and Tie-Figthers similarly to jets in BF3 and 4. I want legit dogfights in the sky and in space.

I played Battlefront 2 on a friend's PC before. It seemed every battle took place on or close to the ground. Were there any battles in space?

What I'm asking is that will I be able to blow up the Death Star like the nerd I am?

Battlefront 2 had space maps iirc where you could use fighters and bombers, and board enemy capital vessels that served as the ground combat there.

But while you will be able to use at least X-Wings and Tie Fighters (Y-Wings look like an objective triggered action in Walker Assault) to dog fight, it's all in-atmosphere. No space maps or ground-to-space transitions in this installment, at least in the base game. DLC could possibly add the former. Sequel would be the latter, as I'm sure starting from scratch and visual/content expectations will make the latter difficult (if not impossible) to execute.

MADGAME

Wah-wah: You can harpoon w/tow cable only after the AT-AT's defenses are downed by Y-Wings. Unfortunately, after you launch the tow cable, you basically enter a mini-game where your speeder flies around the AT-AT automatically and you just have to keep an icon "balanced" in the middle of that gauge at the middle of the screen. DICE said they want to keep the game accessible :-|

I wonder if the Snow Speeder can be shot down/destroyed while harpooning.

Listening to LevelCap now--sounds like the UI, or at least the UI concept, is pretty final. DICE talked about loadouts as a "hand", like a hand of cards, which is why the icons look like cards. You have complete freedom to choose what you want in a loadout, it sounds like (he used the example of two grenades + one primary).

Vehicle battle pickup lets you get into ships and ground vehicles (he doesn't say this is the ONLY way). You have to activate it, where you're vulnerable for a few seconds as you "call in" the vehicle, then you basically "spawn into" the vehicle. As far as he could tell, you can't hop out of the vehicle--you stay in it until you're dead. Again, he emphasizes that he doesn't know if this is the only way you can interact with vehicles, but this is how battle pickups for vehicles work.

Vehicles do not recharge health on their own (thank god). DICE is thinking about repair battle pickups.

Maneuverability of vehicles is very arcadey (disappointingly so), but DICE said they're far from done tweaking the vehicle flight model.

Wah-wah: You can harpoon w/tow cable only after the AT-AT's defenses are downed by Y-Wings. Unfortunately, after you launch the tow cable, you basically enter a mini-game where your speeder flies around the AT-AT automatically and you just have to keep an icon "balanced" in the middle of that gauge at the middle of the screen. DICE said they want to keep the game accessible :-|

TTK is longer than BF4, but not much longer.

AT-ATs, in Walker Assault, are a constant threat and always looming, even if players aren't in them. AI takes over and will shoot at enemies.

Frequency and type of battle pickups change as the battle progresses across the map: some may be vehicle focused, some are infantry focused.

"Buddy" system much like MOH games--no squad system. Can always spawn on your buddy.

He said he had a lot of fun overall, but I'm still on the fence. I don't like some of these accessibility compromises they're making. Level said he's worried that the skill ceiling will be very low.

I can possibly see it for the snow speeder bit, but I really don't see how pick ups and such increase accessibility and better the gameplay. Given the nature of how the rest of the game is, it wouldn't surprise me if this was the primary, if not sole, way of interacting with the vehicle roster. Probably done this way to prevent people sitting at the hanger, waiting and fighting over their preferred tin can.

To be honest, the more I look at the footage, the more unimpressed I am. It really still looks like BF4 with better explosions..

Skyzard

Banned
Snow video had normal explosions.

Brown rock video had crazy impressive graphics - including better explosions :S ! Photogemamotery is back on the table...

But the snow video looked just like bf4, maybe a tad better, maybe that's sfx, maybe it's photogeermanonitry.

The trees place wasn't that good (graphically, not artistically) but it was splitscreen.

Snow video had normal explosions.

Brown rock video had crazy impressive graphics - including better explosions :S ! Photogemamotery is back on the table...

But the snow video looked just like bf4, maybe a tad better, maybe that's sfx, maybe it's photogeermanonitry.

The trees place wasn't that good (graphically, not artistically) but it was splitscreen.

This. The level of graphics is so inconsistent. That bothers me.

Yoday

Although i agree with being leery about the "compromises" i also totally get why'd they go in that direction. This can potentially be their biggest game ever at Dice. They want it to be as accessible as possible.
Indeed, and I think they are just going for a different kind of shooter. The way I see it is Battlefield is the sim shooter with Battlefront being an arcade shooter. Battlefront is to Battlefield what Forza Horizon is to Forza Motorsport.

Tablo

Not sold on the compromises for accessibility, I don't like the HUD it is too intrusive/odd in my opinion, on the plus side it does look fun in the way that I remember Battlefront 2 being.

HUD really needs to have an option to be way more minimalist.

J-Rzez

I don't give a single shit about Star Wars.

Not one

With that said this looks so fucking good, I'm hyped

I don't hate Star Wars, I like it, but I'm not a crazy for it. But it's BF with Star Wars visuals and killer sound, and should be fun to play. It's the game I'm most excited for this year.

I'm more interest in hearing the X-wings/Tie fighters/various laser sounds etc going around my head with a full 5.1 surround sound system (or 7.1 if i have it by release) - this is going to sound fantastic with proper surround sound.

I can't get confirmation but I believe one of the trailers or something from the Star Wars festival they said the game supports Dolby Atmos. If that's true, it is going to be out of this world for sound. DICE always had incredible sound design, now i'm imaging their game in Atmos's 3D sound space... It would be the best demonstration of Atmos/DTS:X staging.

If someone else has confirmation on this, PM me please so I don't miss the response in the thread.

I'm still going to say this is going to be the biggest game this year sales wise. Hell, i'm getting PC and PS4 copies.

I can't get confirmation but I believe one of the trailers or something from the Star Wars festival they said the game supports Dolby Atmos. If that's true, it is going to be out of this world for sound. DICE always had incredible sound design, now i'm imaging their game in Atmos's 3D sound space... It would be the best demonstration of Atmos/DTS:X staging.

If someone else has confirmation on this, PM me please so I don't miss the response in the thread.

I'm still going to say this is going to be the biggest game this year sales wise. Hell, i'm getting PC and PS4 copies.

Everything I've seen shows that XBO doesn't have Atmos compatibility. Besides, that would mean the game needs to have uncompressed audio which would make it a monster size. Sounds like a BS rumor.

Sal Ami

Banned
Is there a video showing off the customization yet? I want to see how this three ability thing or whatever it is works.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I don't hate Star Wars, I like it, but I'm not a crazy for it. But it's BF with Star Wars visuals and killer sound, and should be fun to play. It's the game I'm most excited for this year.

Apparently Dolby Atmos is exclusive to the PC version: http://m.highdefdigest.com/news/sho...ront-will-support-dolby-atmos-on-the-pc/22535

Derp

Why is DICE so good with sound? I've always wanted to know. Is it their thing? I'm assuming they focus a lot on sound design and quality? It's really awesome to see a company catering for people with good sound systems.

J-Rzez

Sweet, one of the versions I'm buying. Means i'm going to have to drag the rig downstairs though. :)

Why is DICE so good with sound? I've always wanted to know. Is it their thing? I'm assuming they focus a lot on sound design and quality? It's really awesome to see a company catering for people with good sound systems.

They realize that great visuals deserves great audio, a total package. Sucks because audio is an afterthought to many devs, outside of maybe music.

Gastone

This game is looking stellar. Never been a huge fan of the BF series post BF1942, but this...thiiiiis fucking game.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Agreed, and having access directly to the LucasArts archives for sound and music is a big plus.

Someone got to play as Luke, and posted his comments on reddit

LT was for an underhead saber attack and RT was for overhead. when i saw vader i tried to force push him but he blocked then charged me and we both did overhead attacks and we clashed for a second and it was like a parry. at this point my health was low since he had a supporting cast of stormtroppers bombarding me with lasers and grenades so we did one more clash and i died due to the gunfire. It seems that in the fighting you need to try to guess if theyre doing over/underhead and press the button at the right time and it opens up a strike window.

HOLY SHIT. Hyyyyyype

ICPEE

OH COME ON, I'M HYPING SO HARD MY DICK IS STARTING TO HURT

4TfeeGW.png
4TfeeGW.png

These posts just happen to be in the perfect order, fucking hell. LMFAO !!!

Ashe Nei

I don't know if it's because the textures of the terrain, or because de lighning, but i find Tattoine gameplay much better looking than the Hoth one.

Also, fuck the jedi-sith characters...the best thing about Battlefront (for me at the very least) s the battles between squads of "normal" soldiers, not with some overpowered characters that kill everything on sight...

Either way, the game looks marvelous.

Nemic77

werent the heroes disabled in the e3 build?

No. This was taken from someone who was at E3:

Speaking to one of the EA staff, she said that Luke was in fact playable for the demo but that most of the Rebel teams never got ahead enough to access the power up (I'm not sure what is required) and that she had only seen one to two games where Luke entered the battlefield.

Any updates on the single player campaign? I know it's missions based, but how long or how many missions?

The multiplayer looks......okay, which is surprising to me, but I'm not sure if this game is worth paying $60 for :(

oneils

This morning, I'm catching up with everything I missed during the week. Was a pretty busy week at work so I didn't watch much other than the Bethesda show last Sunday.

Just finished the Sony and ea shows this morning and have to say that the battlefront game looks epic. Left the best impression besides fallout 4.

Nipo

I'm cautiously optimistic but how can so many people already be declaring "day one" or that they're in after the mess that was BF4? That game looked great in previews too and was horribly broken for nearly year.

I"m looking forward to battlefront but i'll wait a few months for the first decent sale after getting burned last time.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Any updates on the single player campaign? I know it's missions based, but how long or how many missions?

The multiplayer looks......okay, which is surprising to me, but I'm not sure if this game is worth paying $60 for :(

They didn't give out much info outside of the survival mode video they showed off. From my understanding they will be similar to Spec Ops mode from MW2, so maybe we can expect 30-something missions.

I would prefer if the single player was similar to the previous BF games but it seems that DICE cannot develop proper AI to offer such an option.

Foxix Von

I still can't believe how good this game looks. Here's hoping it doesn't have the same issues at launch that have plagued prior battlefield releases.

It's been so damn long since I've played a battlefront game. That and halo 2 were my drugs back in high school.

ironcreed

Banned
This game really shows just how dated COD is. Seeing it next to Black Ops III is actually embarrassing. Not trying to compare, either. I am just saying.

Woorloog

Banned
This game really shows just how dated COD is. Seeing it next to Black Ops III is actually embarrassing. Not trying to compare, either. I am just saying.

Was it just me or did Blops III have really bad sound effects?

Most other games had relatively good sounds but not quite as good as Battlefront.

Top Bottom