• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront is going to be giving out new maps for free

bombshell

I wish people would stop referring to the game not meeting Gamestop's (US) own expectations as evidence of underwhelming sales.

UK, first week sales, physical only, 95% market tracking.

01 (NE) STAR WARS BATTLEFRONT (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 325,000 / NEW

"Underwhelming"...

Boke1879

And if it was like Battlefield people would yell it was a battlefield reskin.
Sometimes i am glad i am not a dev.

It's amazing to me I can't go into a thread and discuss them giving out free maps without a brigade of people yelling "no content", "shallow gameplay" "they didn't meet sales expectations".

Iced

Did anyone have an issue with how Splatoon handled its content? This seems somewhat similar. Trickle out content and keep interest going.

Boke1879

I wish people would stop referring to the game not meeting Gamestop's (US) own expectations as evidence of underwhelming sales.

UK, first week sales, physical only, 95% market tracking.

"Underwhelming"...

It did well first week in the UK yet no one mentions it. I don't know what expectations Gamestop had but I'll wait for NPD where we'll get software count and bundle leaks to make any sort of comment.

The game will get a surge this weekend no doubt and then when the movie and on Christmas.

People act like "underperform" means GS is saying the game bombed.

Did anyone have an issue with how Splatoon handled its content? This seems somewhat similar. Trickle out content and keep interest going.

Well, all we have is this single statement--we have no idea what this "free content" initiative will actually look like. Plus, there is still a Season Pass. I don't think it can be compared to Splatoon without more information.

Dartastic

Not with you, nope. This is exactly how Battlefront games have always been. Thank goodness this is not like Battlefield. That would alienate the average Star Wars fan who likes video games.

I want Battlefield, I will go play Battlefield.
Yep. This is exactly why I like this game so much. It's not overly complicated, it's simple, does a great job of evoking the Star Wars universe, and it's just... fun. Simple and fun.

Well, all we have is this single statement--we have no idea what this "free content" initiative will actually look like. Plus, there is still a Season Pass. I don't think it can be compared to Splatoon without more information.
Well if its anything like Battlefield 4 the four packs in the Season Pass will be themed. The free content will be single maps at a time with no connecting theme.

Kas

Good. I'm pretty disappointed there's no CIS or prequel maps. Free maps make me a bit more tempted to buy the game.

Ferrio

Banned
Splatoon had way less content on release compared to Battlefront. Was still a lot of fun. I guess it had the single player stuff, but I didn't enjoy it much. Last boss was neat I guess.

That is good always nice to see free maps even if it's just some. Hopefully they tie more of their new game modes to free updates as well so they don't split up the community as much.

The problem with this game imo isn't the lack of maps, it's the incredibly shallow shooting mechanics. :(

Ya the simple shooting mechanics on top of a lot of the weapons feeling really similar. Which makes the shooting feel almost exactly the same across a lot of the weapons. Battlefront 1 and 2 had simple shooting mechanics but the weapon of each class was unique in how it performed.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Hahaha, no wait hang on, yep, hahaha.

Only 1 week. Fuck how is this a hardcore gamer site? Shit is starting to read like n4g and the like.

Oh god, did you really just say "hardcore gamer site"? At least you put it in some cool spoiler tags!

EA makes some vague comments about free maps at some point in the future and everyone acts like "they've learned their lesson! Hurray! Free content!" There is just no way they are going to release a significant amount of content for free while also giving adequate value to the stupid season pass. I hope I am wrong and we have free maps for years to come. But I doubt it.

Fbh

Good to hear, lack of content is the one thing keeping me away from this game for now.
Though how substantial and frequent these free content updates will be is yet to be seen

Some liked it, others didn't.
I personally am not a fan of the format. Supporting your game with free content is great, but if your core $60 game is severely lacking content to me it feels like "meh, here is what we have now. We'll finish it later".

Still better than a $50 season pack but still far worse than releasing a game that feels complete from the start.

Ferrio

Banned
People complaining about the shooting mechanics are just wasting your breath. It's like complaining that Daytona doesn't have as much depth as Gran Turismo. In the sea of realistic military type shooters it's nice to finally have a nice AAA arcade shooter in a long while.

Theorry

I think the new free maps are going to be linked more to the new movie and the season pass maps and locations more to the old ones.

ShutterMunster

This definitely looks to me like they're trying to regain control of their narrative. They want to keep the talk around Battlefront positive.

2thepoint

Bombafront.

tumblr_inline_mi32zuHWHh1qz4rgp.gif

People complaining about the shooting mechanics are just wasting your breath. It's like complaining that Daytona doesn't have as much depth as Gran Turismo. In the sea of realistic military type shooters it's nice to finally have a nice AAA arcade shooter in a long while.

Preach on my brother! I think a lot of people try to demean Battlefront by calling it "casual" while that is something the space of FPS shooters has sorely needed for a very long time. The fact that it is the Star Wars IP is just icing on the cake.

Cool. I'll take it.

People saying small maps are just parts of the big maps taken out to make a small map clearly never played the game. It's in the same planet but very different maps, but it's cooler to hate even when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Wow, that's awesome. As time goes on, between the free dlc and the paid dlc, this game is going to go from low content to lots of content. 31 total maps was the previous solid number after season pass but I wonder if that will go even higher now.

too much content

lol

I just want a Fighter Squadron map in space. Then the Star Wars Fantasy will be complete.

Come on, DICE.

Should be easy to do. Easier than a regular fighter squadron map if they want to cheap out and just throw a space background on. I see no reason for them not to make a couple.

It's not like they have to worry about losing orientation in space, there are solutions to that. They could just have Endor below, the death star and a bunch of star destroyers on one side, and the rebel fleet on the other side. Then it would be easy enough to know where you're at.

If they really wanted to go the extra mile then they could actually add a couple of those star destroyers and rebel cruisers into the action area engaged with each other with the crossfire as a battle hazard. Then youd really feel part of the battle, getting to skim across the hull of a ship like that. Their ship models look so fantastic, it's sort of a waste that they're usually seen from far away.

Cool. I'll take it.

People saying small maps are just parts of the big maps taken out to make a small map clearly never played the game. It's in the same planet but very different maps, but it's cooler to hate even when you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

Yes these people are clearly wrong, though I wouldnt mind some extra effort to make the maps a little more distinct from each other. A few of them sort of blend together and lack their own distinctly identifiable features.

CHANC3

Neo Member
That is good always nice to see free maps even if it's just some. Hopefully they tie more of their new game modes to free updates as well so they don't split up the community as much.

Ya the simple shooting mechanics on top of a lot of the weapons feeling really similar. Which makes the shooting feel almost exactly the same across a lot of the weapons. Battlefront 1 and 2 had simple shooting mechanics but the weapon of each class was unique in how it performed.

Actually you're right! It isn't the simplicity per se...it is the fact that all the guns just feel the same. I know I know..."becuz lazers, brah". That doesn't mean I have like it from a gameplay perspective though. I'm just sad that the game I was so hyped for didn't turn out to be my cup of tea, that's all. I completely understand that some people like or even prefer it this way. I'm just not one of them. :(

Cool. I'll take it.

Almost positive half of the small maps are cut from the larger maps with some modifications. The other half of the small maps are new/different. I've played the game, btw.

I think that

Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Are cut out of the larger maps, while

Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Are unique?

Almost positive half of the small maps are cut from the larger maps with some modifications. The other half of the small maps are new/different. I've played the game, btw.
None of the Drop Zone maps are cutouts. I haven't played the other small modes enough to tell otherwise with them.

Vire

Hmm, the game really must have not sold as well as they were hoping if they already getting out in front and saying their will be free maps.

Blitzhex

Great, love this game so much. Now, can we have more backlash about server browser and private servers for pc so we can get that fixed?

Hmm, the game really must have not sold as well as they were hoping if they already getting out in front and saying their will be free maps.

Or maybe they realize they need to give back to the community since this is an entirely community driven game. I don't think the game sold badly by any stretch..

Vire

Or maybe they realize they need to give back to the community since this is an entirely community driven game. I don't think the game sold badly by any stretch..
I dunno about badly, but there was that thread yesterday about how GameStop was saying it underperformed. Whatever that means.

I dunno about badly, but there was that thread yesterday about how GameStop was saying it underperformed. Whatever that means.
While at the same time it sold gangbusters physically in the UK and is EA's best selling game digitally ever. I think the problem lies with GameStop more than Battlefront.

hamchan

It's vague. I'm not going to assume anything like the free maps will be substantial. Especially when they want to sell an expensive $50 season pass.

None of the Drop Zone maps are cutouts. I haven't played the other small modes enough to tell otherwise with them.

Don't worry. NONE of the smaller maps are cut-outs. Similar, sure, but straight cut-outs. No.

And I'm sure this is a reaction from poor reviews/sales. Because clearly, THIS...

Took only weeks to make. So they can just pump out new planets to make it all up to "us."

/sarcasm

Its similar to the end stage Rebel side of Judland Wastes in that it's a spaceport, but beyond that it is completely different.

Damn, hard as hell to find any video of that map, actually. I would assume its out in the open somewhere, given how drop pods work...but the Cargo version of Rebel Base absolutely reuses the hangar area from the larger map.

Always happy for some new maps. The season pass seemed a bit....thin to me and I'm still on the fence for that. If this helps to flesh out the game more, I'm all for it.

Crackbone

Even though I am 100% buying this game, I think that publishers need to realize that this bullshit about multiplayer only focused titles with a big middle finger to anyone wanting a campaign is rubbished soon - I'm looking at you....Battlefront, Rainbow Six, Evolve, Titanfall.

What a just asinine practice and one that hopefully gets buried faster than online passes.

I honestly couldn't disagree with this more.

I have zero interest in fps/tps campaigns especially in IPs that are largely multiplayer focused. I've never touched one and have no interest in doing so. I'd rather have more effort put into the multiplayer side and forgo the campaigns completely.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion around here but I don't care. Give me more multiplayer content and I'll drop 60$ each time.

Ferrio

Banned
I honestly couldn't disagree with this more.

I have zero interest in fps/tps campaigns especially in IPs that are largely multiplayer focused. I've never touched one and have no interest in doing so. I'd rather have more effort put into the multiplayer side and forgo the campaigns completely.

I realize this isn't a popular opinion around here but I don't care. Give me more multiplayer content and I'll drop 60$ each time.

If I was Disney I wouldn't trust Dice one bit to be able to pull off a good Star Wars single player game.

It is not only about battlefront selling well, I am sure it is selling enough for them to make money off it. The game lacks content and I'm sure there is a lot of people that feel the game doesn't pack enough content for the price. Battlefield hardline was a dud, and now battlefront is another dud in terms of content.

I think EA is starting to worry about people thinking EA battlewhatever games are a bad investment and damaging the franchise irreversibly.

Top Bottom