• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Battlefront is going to be giving out new maps for free

Xav

After Splatoon & Halo 5, paying for map packs just seems backwards. Even greedy Capcom is doing it right with Street Fighter V.

The odd map here and there isn't winning me over EA.

B-Dex

Almost positive half of the small maps are cut from the larger maps with some modifications. The other half of the small maps are new/different. I've played the game, btw.

I think that

Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Are cut out of the larger maps, while

Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Are unique?

I wouldn't say they are cut out. They just reuse a lot of assets.

Also most of the battle and survival maps are different as well. The Hoth one is for sure. I thought it was Ice Caves but it wasn't. Totally different layout and everything.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that was the case, wouldn't they be making a huge deal out of it instead of announcing it briefly in an article. I think they had always planned to do this.

Stop making sense. You are not internetting very well.

Lol, at the responses that this is a response to sales after only a week, when they have had pre-order data for months, set record digital sales, Black Friday as well as the holidays have not hit yet let alone the movie.

Gun Animal

This is great news, and honestly as long as the Jakku DLC has one Supremacy/Walker map I'll be more than happy with how much base content there is.

What I really want Dice to do is tell us what planets/locales the season pass will contain. As soon as I know we're getting four new planets (and one of them is Bespin) I'll buy it. As it is, "16 maps" doesn't necessarily mean new planets, which has me a little concerned.

Aww yes! More content we know we can look forward to. Makes me wonder if this is because they saw that people wanted more content or if it was planned from the beginning like what they did for Battlefield 4.

Then again, they probably waited to announce this now because saying it before the release would make people upset about how the DLC should be in the game to begin with, so maybe this was the smartest move.

MiguelItUp

Do you really think they could make the decision to create new content in the what, week since they realized that their sales were coming in lower then forecasted? Do you think they're going to push back the season pass content and make them start from scratch on entirely new free maps? This was almost certainly the plan since before the game launched.

Precisely. This is clearly a part of their development timeline. I doubt the game "bombed so hard" that in one week they needed to muster up free content. People are being silly.

After Splatoon & Halo 5, paying for map packs just seems backwards. Even greedy Capcom is doing it right with Street Fighter V.

The odd map here and there isn't winning me over EA.

Didnt Splatoon ship with 5 maps and 1 game mode? If anybody is obliged to give out free DLC, its the Splatoon devs.

Yeah, they listen to criticism so well they keep making the same mistakes. Men, hope there games keep under performing if they keep this shit up.

Bf isn't worth 60 and to ask for this price again is a joke. We want a deep and lush star wars world for a good price. Work on that and you'll get your money.

If they want to submit a real apology and offer the game for 40 and the season pass for 20 then I'm ready to buy.

That's funny. I've been playing a game like this the past week.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, they listen to criticism so well they keep making the same mistakes. Men, hope there games keep under performing if they keep this shit up.

Bf isn't worth 60 and to ask for this price again is a joke. We want a deep and lush star wars world for a good price. Work on that and you'll get your money.

If they want to submit a real apology and offer the game for 40 and the season pass for 20 then I'm ready to buy.
Meh, honestly to me it's worth it, it's all an opinion. But I also bought BF 1942, Vietnam, Battlefield 2, and 2142 at launch at full price and had no regrets. I played them for an extremely long period of time and none had a "single player component". They have absolutely no reason to apologize, they've made an excellent game that isn't for everyone. It happens.

krang

Do you really think they could make the decision to create new content in the what, week since they realized that their sales were coming in lower then forecasted? Do you think they're going to push back the season pass content and make them start from scratch on entirely new free maps? This was almost certainly the plan since before the game launched.

We don't yet know what the planned season pass maps were. It's not inconceivable that they could steal some of the paid ones to give out for free in the short term to give them plenty more time to make additional maps that will end up as the season pass later on.

If free maps were planned at launch, what reason would they have for keeping it secret?

Mik2121

We don't yet know what the planned season pass maps were. It's not inconceivable that they could steal some of the paid ones to give out for free in the short term to give them plenty more time to make additional maps that will end up as the season pass later on.

If free maps were planned at launch, what reason would they have for keeping it secret?
Get extra sales. If you announce that before launch, most people will still claim the game has few maps, and now they don't have anything to announce to let people think otherwise. If they announce them afterwards, when most people stopped whining, they can get extra sales, plus the game gets talked about again.

"New maps"

"Here's a sectioned off piece of Sullust for another round of Heroes vs Villains"

Cool, can you show us all this maps you obviously already seen?

Just sad that a topic with great news for everyone turns into shit because some people really wanna hate on the game. And the people claiming that the game sold bad are the worst.

Just let it go and ignore Battlefront topics if you really dont care about the game.

People complaining about the shooting mechanics are just wasting your breath. It's like complaining that Daytona doesn't have as much depth as Gran Turismo. In the sea of realistic military type shooters it's nice to finally have a nice AAA arcade shooter in a long while.

Let them complain, most people that scream that Battlefront is shallow cant even describe why its shallow to them... so yeah.

dumbo

Sounds like more free maps are coming in addition to Jakku and the season pass stuff. Good. :)

The new game mode will launch with a map cycle of Jakku, Jakku, Jakku followed by Jakku.

It seems that DICE will need to create/repurpose maps on the current planets for the new game mode - and those maps will obviously be free.

It will be interesting to see what this mode is like, but I can't help thinking that "more game modes" isn't really a solution to anyone's problem.

krang

Cool, can you show us all this maps you obviously already seen?

Just sad that a topic with great news for everyone turns into shit because some people really wanna hate on the game. And the people claiming that the game sold bad are the worst.

Just let it go and ignore Battlefront topics if you really dont care about the game.

This sentence is incredible.

BokehKing

Banned
How come I feel like the only people complaining are the one's that ....8 months later still can't accept its a multiplayer only title and that does not entitle them to cheaper prices??

I hear 'lack of depth' but every game mode is fun? Well except dog fighting but I suck at flying

Hero Hunt, is awesome, just discovered that mode last night, droid hunt or whatever is also fun, that's another mode I did not discover until yesterday.

It's a fun arcade shooter, why does everyone need it to be something it's not?

All this bad word of mouth when we have seen other FPS come out this gen that shipped with less pvp content at their vanilla launches (titanfall, halo, Destiny...all 3 had minimal game types)

rafaelr

nice gesture, but as long as the maps that are in the 4 DLCs are not free there´s still gonna be a split userbase.

This sentence is incredible.

So? Thats how it is. I dont see why more Free Content is a bad thing. But some people are never happy it seems like

How come I feel like the only people complaining are the one's that ....8 months later still can't accept its a multiplayer only title and that does not entitle them to cheaper prices??

I hear 'lack of depth' but every game mode is fun? Well except dog fighting but I suck at flying

Hero Hunt, is awesome, just discovered that mode last night, droid hunt or whatever is also fun, that's another mode I did not discover until yesterday.

All this bad word of mouth when we have seen other FPS come out this gen that shipped with less pvp content at their vanilla launches (titanfall, halo, Destiny...all 3 had minimal game types)

Also this^^

This is fantastic news! The game has been amazing since launch and my router being screwed up this week is exasperating my withdrawals from the game.

Considering the Jakku DLC sounds promising I'm excited:

Star Wars Battlefront is getting free DLC themed after the upcoming film “The Force Awakens”, known as The Battle of Jakku. The content will be available for all those who pre-ordered the game on December 1, and to all other players on December 8. We have known for a while that the DLC would feature two new maps, but today a brand new gameplay mode was revealed as well.

Turning Point, the latest game mode, fits into the Star Wars lore as a look at what followed the battle of Endor. A lead level designer described the mode as following:

“At the edge of the map, the Empire has constructed a make-shift base as well as smaller fortifications strewn across the landscape. Following an emergency landing, the Rebels need to locate the enemy bases to attack and take control of them all. Rebels need to locate and capture one of the three control points in Imperial control. The clock is ticking, but if the Rebel team succeeds with a capture additional time will be added and new control points will be available for capture. Moving through these increasingly challenging checkpoints, the ultimate goal is the Empire’s base where the final stand will take place.”
One of The Battle of Jakku’s maps, called Graveyard of the Giants, features dynamic visual spectacles like the crashing star destroyer seen in a recent trailer. An official livestream will be held on November 30, revealing more gameplay from the upcoming DLC. The official site has also been updated with more details on the new content, including the maps and compatible game modes:

Graveyard of Giants
Fight on the Graveyard of Giants in Turning Point, Supremacy, Walker Assault, and Fighter Squadron.
Goazan Badalands
Experience the badlands of Goazan in Blast, Drop Zone, Droid Run, Cargo, Hero Hunt, and Heroes vs. Villains.

Sorry if this was posted earlier.

DavidDesu

Right, if anyone's listening I want a speeder bike chase oriented map. That speeder bike training mission is too good to be a one time only thing. Give us a map that's expansive, that has multiple criss crossing paths and some open areas to turn around in.

Maybe make it something like you have to get from point A to point B but you can use any path you want, Imperials hunt you down. I couldn't believe how well realised the speeder bike mission was, how well the controls worked and how authentic it felt.

I WANT MORE

EDIT: I'm very glad I bought this. The game isn't perfect, and some genuine complaints have surfaced. Fighter Squadron could be longer and more interesting than just defending/attacking transports. Spawn points can be an issue, too many grenades getting thrown around etc. I'm sure in time many of these problems will be dealt with... that plus all the extra maps coming, free and season pass, means I'm in this for the long haul.

You can go into the Battlefront OT, which is largely positive, and find plenty of critiques for the shittier game modes. Ironically, Hero Hunt is almost unanimously singled out as a shit game mode, as is Droid Hunt. They're poorly designed.

Uh, Destiny and Titanfall both got shit, from media and players, for not having content at launch. I know you are aware of how much shit Destiny got, because you were one of the staunch defenders.

Considering that the free BF4 content was an apology for the horrible launch and that the launch of Battlefront was near-flawless (best DICE launch in 10 years) this content was likely planned before release.

Sakujou

Banned
i hope so, because selling a season pass for 50euro at once at the beginning when the game launched was the biggest fuck up i have ever came across.

THIS SHOULD NOT BECOME INDUSTRY STANDARDS.

selling a "full" game for 120 bucks is simply insane.

you already have awesome numbers from the launch, where is the problem to give out a few things out for free?

monster hunter 4 did quite a nice job.

kgb_abc

Neo Member
^ This....

I can't believe how solid the launch has been. It's the first MP experience I've had in the last few years with NO issues. (Connection/Lag issues)

Considering that the free BF4 content was an apology for the horrible launch and that the launch of Battlefront was near-flawless (best DICE launch in 10 years) this content was likely planned before release.

Pretty strange to not announce something that might net you more preorders/sales.

How can you say it was near-flawless when just about every review complained about lack of content? The fact that all reviews complained about the content makes it very likely that this was a reaction to that. They are most likely taking one of the maps from each of the Season Pass DLC planets and making it available for free, so that way it doesn't take any extra work, plus acts as an advertisement for the full DLC while solving the problem of "it's not worth $60 because not enough maps" complaints.

nOoblet16

i hope so, because selling a season pass for 50euro at once at the beginning when the game launched was the biggest fuck up i have ever came across.

you already have awesome numbers from the launch, where is the problem to give out a few things out for free?

Hownis selling a season pass a "fuck up" ?

Why is there still a lingering mentality that DLC = cut content. Because that's what you are hinting at when you say full game is $120. Battlefront launched with less maps than it should have but by no means do evidence suggest that the game would have had more maps if there was no season pass. There is no evidence that suggests that these Mao's that will come with season pass would have made it in the game and they decided to cut it out for season pass. The logical scenario is that DICE finished these 8 maps and then moved on to work on the other maps which didn't get finished in time...some of these maps will be free and some of these will be part of the season pass. I see nothing wrong with it as I see it as giving developers the opportunity to continue working on content that never saw completion (and believe me when I say that there is a lot of it in every game).

I will never understand why people rage over season pass, all it is doing is bundling all the future DLCs together for those who want to buy it..and sometimes this bundling means there is a small discount. But if you are against DLC practice in the first place then I don't know what to say other than point out how post game content support in majority of the games was non existent in the past...and that didn't really meant every game launched with tons of content from the get go and had free DLCs.

You know what's the biggest irony here? That DICE sort of working on post release content gets the same sort of "This industry is fucked" responses as Bethesda not working on any post release content prior to release as was evident with the blowout during Fallout 4.

How can you say it was near-flawless when just about every review complained about lack of content? The fact that all reviews complained about the content makes it very likely that this was a reaction to that. They are most likely taking one of the maps from each of the Season Pass DLC planets and making it available for free, so that way it doesn't take any extra work, plus acts as an advertisement for the full DLC.

I think he's saying that it was a stable launch. Though I understand PC, in particular, has some server/matchmaking issues.

He's right, though. It was a remarkably smooth launch.

This is unprecedented. I guess EA REALLY wants to cash in on the Star Wars license and current hype. For any other game such a model wouldn't fly.

Yes, I meant technically (though I disagree with most of the criticism of the quantity of content, except needing more maps for 40 player modes).

Also, there is no way that they will take maps from the season pass to release free. It's going to be additional content (like the press release said) on top of the 16 maps, 4 modes, and 20 weapons/Star Cards in the season pass.

They did the same thing for the last two Battlefields....

Of the 4 Season Passes I have ever bought two of them were from Dice (BF3 and 4) and both were well worth the price when you look at how much content they include.

They did the same thing for the last two Battlefields....

Of the 4 Season Passes I have ever bought two of them were from Dice (BF3 and 4) and both were well worth the price when you look at how much content they include.

I agree--DICE has been one of the best when it comes to season pass content/quality, but the Battlefront Season Pass also doesn't match the amount of content in Battlefield Premium, plus it has less content than a Battlefield game. I think that's where the "incomplete game" complaints come from.

Sulik2

Well that will help with the lack of content. Now lets fix match timers being way too long in the most of the play modes, the guns being way too similar, the broken spawn locations, the bad games modes and weird shooting mechanics.

Almost positive half of the small maps are cut from the larger maps with some modifications. The other half of the small maps are new/different. I've played the game, btw.

I think that

Rebel Base (Hoth)
Rebel Depot (Tattooine)
Imperial Station (Endor)
Imperial Hangar (Sullust)

Are cut out of the larger maps, while

Ice Caves (Hoth)
Jawa Refuge (Tattooine)
Swamp Crash Site (Endor)
Sulfur Fields (Sullust)
Dune Sea Exchange (Tattooine)

Are unique?
Every single one of these maps is unique. They may share some assets but also have unique assets and completely different lay outs.

Top Bottom