• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

-griffy-

Banned
So, if I buy the blu-ray, do I get an iTunes copy as well?

If it is like other Disney releases, then not only do you get an iTunes copy but once you connect it to your Disney Movies Anywhere account you get an iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, Google Play and Microsoft version.

I actually bought the iTunes releases of the OT and got Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on the other services too (A New Hope isn't part of the deal since the distribution rights are wonky).

EDIT: They just put a trailer for the home video release up on Twitter, probably hit YouTube momentarily.

YouTube

And article on StarWars.com
As announced this morning by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert A. Iger at The Walt Disney Company’s Annual Meeting of Shareholders, the epic movie will be available to own early on Digital HD and Disney Movies Anywhere on April 1, and is coming home on Blu-ray Combo Pack and DVD on April 5.

Digital: April 1
Blu-ray/DVD: April 5

forceawakens-bluray-combo.jpg
forceawakens-dvd.jpg
Packaged with the film is a galaxy of bonus content that will take fans inside the making of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, including an in-depth documentary, featurettes, and more. Secrets will be revealed through extensive footage, never-before-seen deleted scenes, and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers. Bonus features include*:

Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey – For the first time, discover the complete story behind the making of The Force Awakens, revealed through in-depth footage and exclusive interviews with the actors and filmmakers in this feature documentary
The Story Awakens: The Table Read – Cast members familiar and new reflect on the memorable day they all first came together to read the movie’s script
Building BB-8 – See how the filmmakers brought the newest droid to the screen, creating an instant fan favorite in the Star Wars
Crafting Creatures – Watch movie magic as the filmmakers bring a cast of new creatures to life
Blueprint of a Battle: The Snow Fight – Go deeper into the epic, climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren
John Williams: The Seventh Symphony – The legendary composer shares personal insights of his work on Star Wars and The Force Awakens
ILM: The Visual Magic of The Force – An insider’s look into the remarkable digital artistry of the movie’s visual effects.
Force For Change – Heroes come in all shapes and sizes. See how the Star Wars: Force for Change initiative has united Star Wars fans all over the globe to help others
Plus Deleted Scenes
* Digital bonus offerings may vary by retailer

Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year.

TARGET – The Target Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive packaging and an added 20 minutes of bonus content, including never-before-seen interviews with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega and a deeper look at the movie’s costumes and weaponry
WALMART – The Walmart Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack comes with exclusive BB-8 packaging and an exclusive Star Wars Galactic Connexions trading disc
BEST BUY – The Best Buy Star Wars: The Force Awakens Blu-ray Combo Pack features exclusive SteelBook Packaging

If it is like other Disney releases, then not only do you get an iTunes copy but once you connect it to your Disney Movies Anywhere account you get an iTunes, Amazon, VUDU, Google Play and Microsoft version.

I actually bought the iTunes releases of the OT and got Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi on the other services too (A New Hope isn't part of the deal since the distribution rights are wonky).

EDIT: They just put a trailer for the home video release up on Twitter, probably hit YouTube momentarily.

YouTube

I wish we had a commentary track with the new trio.

mcfrank

YouTube

That is good to know. Not sure if I will be able to hold out the 4 days to keep from just pulling the trigger on iTunes though.

I wish we had a commentary track with the new trio.

Agreed, but at least the documentary is long.

Anth0ny

christ, that box with the art making up the star wars logo wasn't placeholder? yikes

I love how children's books get better art than the actual blu ray of the film lol:

iFKOK2j.jpg

Cool to see that we're finally getting that 'Kylo on the Falcon' scene. Descriptions of it have been floating around the leak sites for what seems like forever.

Meh, DVD has the best cover art. Best Buy has the best physical style case. Target has the best content with the worst physical style case.

Guess I'm going with Target since they're the cheapest and has the best content. I hope the content is physically included and not a digital download like The Good Dinosaur. I feel ripped off about that.

Note: The 3D version of Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be available later this year.

Motherfuckers want me to buy this twice! Lord give me strength to endure haha
Will try to wait for that version.

I know Target has has special extras for previous releases, but I don't know how they work. Are they actually on disc or are they just a download?

-griffy-

Banned
So what is the release date? Don't see it anywhere.

April 1 digital. April 5 BR/DVD. Should be in the OP somewhere.

Added to the OP now that it became its own thread.

Split bump. Decidedly new news, new thread.

I want the steelbook. But not a fan of the cover art. Sigh.

I'll probably get the Steelbook just because I like those (unless it's a whole ordeal trying to actually track one down like Mad Max). Though I do like how the Target version folds out with the added art, even if the cover itself is kind of uninspired:

Matticers

That's so lame that they delayed the 3D version. I always like getting the most complete version of my favorite movies but they know they'll get people to double dip on a movie like this if they release it later.

Hopefully some store releases a lenticular cover for this version. I love me some lenticulars.

I know Target has has special extras for previous releases, but I don't know how they work. Are they actually on disc or are they just a download?

They usually are physically included, however The Good Dinosaur was digital only so now I can no longer rely on that. I feel burned without them telling me it was digital only.

jackdoe

That's so lame that they delayed the 3D version. I always like getting the most complete version of my favorite movies but they know they'll get people to double dip on a movie like this if they release it later.

Hopefully some store releases a lenticular cover for this version. I love me some lenticulars.
If I knew for a fact that the 3D version wouldn't come with extra features, I'd jump on the 2D release. But I have the sinking feeling that it will be an "Ultimate Edition" release with more special features.

So what is the release date? Don't see it anywhere.

April 1 digital. April 5 BR/DVD. Should be in the OP somewhere.

Why do they release the digital versions before? You'd think they'd wanna drive the higher priced Blu-ray sales up instead they cannibalize them by releasing the digital version first. Why?

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Even though BB-8 sucks, that cover looks sick. The only movies I own are IV-VI and I-III, so this will be a day 1 buy.

Vashetti

Banned
Any word on tech specs?

Video is obviously 1080p
Audio is DTS-HD MA 7.1

Out in 4K?

A Disney employee said a week or so ago at some conference that they're not interested in putting out 2K upscales on 4K UHD Blu-ray, and The Force Awakens was finished in 2K.

Disney haven't announced any other titles for a 4K UHD Blu-ray release either. They're taking a wait and see approach, seeing if the format takes off enough to support it.

Looks like the DVD and Blu-ray won't feature the IMAX footage in full:
DISC SPECIFICATIONS:
FEATURE RUN TIME: Approximately 136 min.
RATING: PG-13 in U.S.; PG in CE; G in CF
ASPECT RATIO: Blu-ray Feature Film = 2.40:1
DVD Feature Film = 2.40:1

AUDIO: Blu-ray = English 7.1 DTS-HDMA, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital Language Tracks
DVD = English, French and Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, English 2.0 Descriptive Audio Language Tracks
LANGUAGES: English, French & Spanish
SUBTITLES: English SDH, French & Spanish
Hoping the 3D version at least correct this later. Hate it when they leave out the IMAX footage.

haikira

Any word on UK dates?

I see it's April 18th on Amazon in the UK, though I'm not sure if that's an old placeholder.

So the physical copies with included digital copies, will any retailer email a code on April 1 or is the only way to watch on April 1 a straight up digital only purchase?

With Mad Max, I received a digital code via email from best buy but I can't remember if there was a staggered physical/digital release like here.

BFIB

Man, this hasn't even hit my 2nd run theaters yet, and its out in early April on Blu-Ray.

RPGCrazied

Can you preorder any of this anywhere?

I'm shocked at still not going to see this in the theater. And managed to not spoil the plot for myself.

mattp

man, what an (unsurprisingly) underwhelming bunch of releases
stupid retailer exclusives. boring covers

i'm curious what the running time is on the main documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom