• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
No 3D version
No Atmos
No UHD

That film really has a hard on for retro, it's like 2006 all over again!

Cunts

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
this bugs me the most.

They want you to rebuy it lol ;p

I would have bought every release anyway, I'm just annoyed that I have to wait for features that should be there at launch. I don't mind waiting for a UHD disc, but it should have had Atmos and 3D. SW home releases have usually been pretty good for this historically. IIRC even the DVDs had 6.1 soundtracks which were pretty rare back then.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Ron-Burgundy-What-Did-You-Say-Anchorman.gif

LOL, damn didn't know people liked that droid like that.

Mindwipe

I'd be surprised if it hits Netflix Canada day and date with the home video release though, rather than a couple months later.

It's first pay window, so that's generally 90 days after home video release.

Edit: Also I really hope this release is enough to kick Disney UK up the arse about getting digital codes since DMA is US only.

Lgndryhr

So sick of movie companies doing this with major releases. Gaming industry already tries this bs with preorder DLC. I'll end up going with either the standard or steelbook.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Pretty sure some bloke is gonna put up the Target stuff on Dailymotion so Best Buy edition it is for me

No 3D version
No Atmos
No UHD

That film really has a hard on for retro, it's like 2006 all over again!

Cunts

I hear you on the first two, but I can understand no UHD. There's no reason for Disney to do that now with such a small install base. It doesn't make sense for them to put a huge release like that on there when it just launched. It'll come I'm sure, but I can't hold UHD against Disney. Disney isn't even releasing anything anytime soon on that format if I'm not mistaken.

DVD gets the poster art and the BD gets the leftover marketing materials someone dug out of the recycling bin.

I had the BD preordered when Amazon put it up and it was $20 so I'll just go with that one.

Futureman

I'm guessing they won't let you rent this on the digital services right away? That's the only way I'll see this. I don't care about Star Wars enough to own a digital version or pay more than $6 or so.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'm guessing they won't let you rent this on the digital services right away? That's the only way I'll see this. I don't care about Star Wars enough to own a digital version or pay more than $6 or so.

You're usually allowed to rent digitally on the BR release date.

Also, the digital release is only a few days apart, so it's not like you'll have to wait that longer than others.

Dead

well not really...yet
Want it in 4K HDR

Don't particularly care about 3D for this movie but if they are holding it back for later in the year then I assume a double dip special edition with more special features is a guarantee.

Interesting, though: They could have used Rey's Theme, or the Jedi Steps, or March of the Resistance (which is what they used at the Oscars, I believe), but instead, this trailer basically just reprises the trailer music again.

To be fair, it's really fucking good.

I kinda hope those pieces are easter eggs or something. Not that people really do easter eggs anymore (they're kind of a waste of time, and always were)

JB1981

Maybe I saw it one too many times in theaters so that's why this announcement doesn't have me very excited?

I don't know what it is but I just feel like there isn't all that much to revisit or look forward to because the story was so thin. It's a fun flick but just kinda not satisfying on a narrative level

And this exemplifies why I'm not investing in 4K for at least two more years, perhaps much longer. The amount of real native 4K content is going to be absolutely tiny.

Futureman

You're usually allowed to rent digitally on the BR release date.

Also, the digital release is only a few days apart, so it's not like you'll have to wait that longer than others.

I've noticed that movies sometimes on Google Play only have a buy option and no rental version. I just assumed this was for big movies that want to try to milk purchases initially.

3D is dead in the US. Maybe foreign releases?

it still does rather well. Disney has been shitty about it though, I've been forced to buy several region free UK 3D blu rays because they wont release Disney Animated Films in 3d in the states.

Which they're also super inconsistent about because they DO release Marvel and Pixar 3D blu rays. So it's just plain fuckery coming from them

Davey Cakes

The posters used for the Target cover are BAD and thus the Target cover itself is BAD.

Garbage tier packaging.

The main poster may be a bit played out but it's still probably the best this movie will get.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom