• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I order it now, and it does get discounted, do I get the discounted price?

I almost missed out on the Mad Max steelbook cause of getting it the day of release.

Best Buy does price matching, so you'll be guaranteed the price. I'm just not sure if it's automatic when you do a preorder. At worst, you'll just shoot them an e-mail and they'll refund the difference.

Looks like the DVD and Blu-ray won't feature the IMAX footage in full:

Hoping the 3D version at least correct this later. Hate it when they leave out the IMAX footage.

I actually prefer the uniformity of the presentation at home. Even with a front projector, I find the effect as intended for theatrical viewing just doesn't work for home. Nothing feels like it opened up, and nothing's quite big enough to allow for the pop you get when that aspect ratio switches at the IMAX (or even the LieMax).

So I'd rather they just stick with the 35mm presentation consistently. Makes it slightly more immersive, I find.

RPGCrazied

Best Buy does price matching, so you'll be guaranteed the price. I'm just not sure if it's automatic when you do a preorder. At worst, you'll just shoot them an e-mail and they'll refund the difference.

Thanks man, went ahead and ordered it. I love steelbooks! I wish the cover art had the characters on it like the DVD version, oh well.

Damn. I thought they'd do it in 4K, especially with the way that Disney preserves and rereleases things in high quality. Thought that would carry over to LF.

The cost of doing vfx in 4k is still pretty fucking high, from what I understand, and the post-production pipelines (I keep using that term even though I have no clue if it's all that appropriate) at 2k are apparently just easier to work with for all involved.

Mairu

I'm a little surprised it's already coming out so soon considering it's still playing on 1400 screens! Not sure if I'm going to get it from Best Buy or Target yet.

SeanC

In for the steelbooks I guess. I like those packaging and it's the only cover I kind of dig. I might buy a regular blu as well if the price is right.

Really enjoyed the movie. If I love a movie I buy it a few times if there's various packaging. Did it for Mad Max and Guardians of the Galaxy as well. Has to be cool alt packaging, though.

The cost of doing vfx in 4k is still pretty fucking high, from what I understand, and the post-production pipelines (I keep using that term even though I have no clue if it's all that appropriate) at 2k are apparently just easier to work with for all involved.
Cost is actually not the issue, but time for the most part. 4K VFX are pretty rare, even for 4K mastered films, where they usually upscale the VFX work. 4K VFX are very time consuming, and films like The Force Awakens are often only finished a few weeks in advance, where they cut it close working at 2K even.

I'm a little surprised it's already coming out so soon considering it's still playing on 1400 screens! Not sure if I'm going to get it from Best Buy or Target yet.

Don't worry. They will release a version with extra footage in theaters later this year, and then sell you a second blu-ray. ;)

_woLf

It bothers the hell out of me that this will look out of place next to other movies due to the formatting of the spine being completely different.

Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

Cost is actually not the issue, but time for the most part. 4K VFX are pretty rare, even for 4K mastered films, where they usually upscale the VFX work. 4K VFX are very time consuming, and films like The Force Awakens are often only finished a few weeks in advance, where they cut it close working at 2K even.
Ah. Honestly, I think upscaled VFX would probably be fine for me if they do it well. I don't think I'm enough of a videophile to notice.

entremet

That's pretty awesome! I am speaking about NetFlix Canada, which from what I read a while ago was able to secure the rights to stream it.

Sorry should have been more clear, see above.

Is this true?

Streaming tends to be limited during the release windows of big Blockbusters on video. They want people to buy the discs/digital copy.

Well yeah, but I mean - time is money, too, right?

Eh?
It is, but it's not as bad as doubling or quadrupling the budget because of it :)
Ah. Honestly, I think upscaled VFX would probably be fine for me if they do it well. I don't think I'm enough of a videophile to notice.
The handy thing is that VFX are generally a lot more viable for upscaling than actual footage (I have no idea what the actual reason was, but there is a technical explanation for it.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom