• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hex

Banned
Man as soon as everything is quiet and you see *A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...*
Misty chills.
Every time.

Surfinn

I'm loving this movie more every single time I see it.

I'm finally starting to accept that this is, indeed, another SW film. It's sinking in, and it feels good.

Tansut

Can someone help an old man who is scared by technology?

I just got the Target version and I redeemed my digital code and picked the Amazon Video version, which basically gave me $20 credit to buy the Force Awakens with bonus features on Prime.

My question is this. Is the 20 minute Target exclusive bonus feature somewhere in this giant ass 4+ hour video I can watch or somewhere else?

Edit: Nevermind. Finally found the answer. That was not really clear at all, Disney.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The documentary was pretty lame, really. It's interesting in the sense that getting any look behind the scenes at all is going to be inherently fascinating, but this was a pretty troubled production all things considered and the doc doesn't touch upon any of it. I think they mentioned and showed Michael Arndt for three-quarters of a second. And while there may be legal reasons not to get too chatty about Ford's accident, it doesn't even exist in this.

The story of this movie has a lot of ups and downs, and it's a shame they don't want to talk about the difficulties because they pulled it off in the end! I mean, the Phantom Menace doc was much more informative and honest and thorough and at the end they were still stuck with The Phantom Menace.

I enjoyed the documentary (just ripped and watched - stupid PC won't actually play blurays). I think its optimistic to expect a 'warts and all' documentary on the first release, and I don't even think it was that troubled.

I even teared up a little when they show Harrison Ford's exit and Chewie gives him a hug before he leaves

It sort of loses any credibility when the documentaries treat Abrams like he was their first choice. Almost makes you long for the gritty in-depth focus of the prequel trilogy extras.

It sort of loses any credibility when the documentaries treat Abrams like he was their first choice. Almost makes you long for the gritty in-depth focus of the prequel trilogy extras.

He was specifically recommended by both Lucas and Spielberg and was considered from very early on. Brad Bird, Fincher, and Del Toro may have also been considered for the job, but it's not like JJ was some last ditch pick they were forced with by any means. I don't think not going through every single consideration diminishes anything.

It's not like the TPM documentary talks about how Spielberg, Zemeckis, Ron Howard, and Kasdan all passed on the movie either. I don't think that's overly important information all things considered.

BowieZ

Banned
Probably already discussed, but did anyone's appreciation for the music go up or down upon rewatching?

... considering the lukewarm reception upon theatrical release.

Most people seem to enjoy it more when they realise what Rey's Theme is and notice it actually being used throughout the score.

it's still at the bottom of the list for Williams' Star Wars (all 7) work but I did have a greater appreciation for Rey's theme and the track that plays when the X-Wings are coming in on the water.

As always though Jedi Steps was definitely the best new track that he composed for it. Dat buildup, dat ominous sound when luke is finally discovered...

XAL

Would have been nice if the movie explained some of that

It's funny I kind of wish the film had like 20 mins of exposition for context on things.

Like how the fuck that Starkiller weapon actually works.

I think the book version of the film said it was a hyperspace weapon.

Hex

Banned
It's funny I kind of wish the film had like 20 mins of exposition for context on things.

Do you want a component breakdown or something? It is a weapon of doom in a Sci Fi movie.
Drain energy from sun to turn into crazy powerful beams. Do they really need to explain it more than that?
There is wookipedia for things like that.

Zabka

They called it a hyper-lightspeed weapon in the movie.

Probably already discussed, but did anyone's appreciation for the music go up or down upon rewatching?

Most people seem to enjoy it more when they realise what Rey's Theme is and notice it actually being used throughout the score.
I liked it a lot from the start and I'm still listening to it now. The people suggesing Williams should walk away are crazy.

Hex

Banned

Definitely liked it more upon home watch

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
What really doesn't make sense about the Starkiller weapon is that the entire planet wasn't vaporized the instant that the containment field failed.

It sort of loses any credibility when the documentaries treat Abrams like he was their first choice.

He was, I believe. Bouzereau's documentary omits the fact he turned them down once. They went to him first, he said no, and then they started going down the line. At some point Kennedy was like "Fuck this, I'm not taking the no from this guy" and went back to him and got him to agree.

Anth0ny

it's still at the bottom of the list for Williams' Star Wars (all 7) work but I did have a greater appreciation for Rey's theme and the track that plays when the X-Wings are coming in on the water.

As always though Jedi Steps was definitely the best new track that he composed for it. Dat buildup, dat ominous sound when luke is finally discovered...

Jedi Steps and Rey's theme alone have me considering ranking TFA above the prequels when it comes to music. While there can be no doubt that listening to the music from, like, a CD... the prequels just have better music. Williams brought his A game.

But watching the actual film, NOTHING made me feel feels in the prequels like Jedi Steps. I watched TFA four times in theatres and got goosebumps every time at that scene, and it was all thanks to that score.

tomtom94

What really doesn't make sense about the Starkiller weapon is that the entire planet wasn't vaporized the instant that the containment field failed.

It's rather like the science behind the ending of Dark Knight Rises in that respect.

http://www.slashfilm.com/anakin-skywalker-force-awakens-reference/

Abrams, fresh from his speech about the importance of details, sits at the center of the editing room…They begin by reviewing a shot shown in the trailer, where dozens of flags appear on a castle that belongs to Maz Kanata, a mysterious little goggle-wearing creature, played by Lupita Nyong’o (12 Years a Slave) via motion-capture and CGI. The flags are designed to drive superfans nuts with references to the earlier movies, but Abrams tells Guyett that too many of them allude to the first of Lucas’ prequels: “I don’t want to be too about podracers,” he says. “I’d rather come up with our stuff.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom