• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiken

Banned
Was about to grab the target version but thanks to some of the reactions here I went with the Best Buy steel book. Waiting for my pick-up confirmation.

Edit: It's ready, took them 16 minutes to pull it for me.

mjc

Picked up some copies for my family of the regular edition, are some of your guys' copies riddled with wrinkled plastic too? (On the blu-ray case) Not the end of the world, I imagine they were pumping out millions of these things in preparation for release. Not much time for QC.

Rootbeer

Banned
Just picked up my SteelBook! If only the SteelBooks for the earlier films were worth buying to match it. Sticking with my first bluray release set until 4K editions

gwailo

Banned
Thanks for the replies about the Target bad quality packaging. I have this complete saga set so I'll probably just replace one of the bonus discs in it with force awakens.

I go to the Target in downtown Minneapolis next to their corporate HQ. When I picked up my Bluray, there were several suits around (I'm assuming product managers, they tour the store all the time) and they were not happy about the packaging. Some one will probably lose their job over this. One of the major video releases of the year and the packaging looks less sturdy than the mailers AOL discs used to come in.

Snaku

Banned
Just picked up my SteelBook! If only the SteelBooks for the earlier films were worth buying to match it. Sticking with my first bluray release set until 4K editions

We might be waiting a while, Disney says they have no plans to support UHD Blu-Ray.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I picked up the Steelbook.
I haven't paid any attention to bundled DVDs lately but this one looks like a second-rate knockoff. Looks like it was printed on an early-'90s consumer inkjet.

Piggus

UnzmsPe.png

Thanks a lot, pricks!

Looks like I'll be looking for a copy in-store.

GeeDuhb

It's pretty bad. I asked the clerk where the full movie was because I honestly thought it was a cheap cardboard sleeve to hold a separate extras disc that you got if you bought the movie.

Yeah, I was shocked...confused...unsure of what to even do when I saw it, and then realized the regular edition was $5 LESS! I bought it because I had to get to work and I didnt know what to do, but after thinking about it more, I am returning it. I don't want some shitty paper sleeve. I would much rather have the black bluray case.

Can anyone who got the Walmart one possibly post a picture? Is the inner case the same as the standard (the movie poster?) Is the only difference the slip cover?

Thinner packaging is a plus for me. Is it standard height?

I think it is a little shorter than standard height.

Kadin

Any initial impressions of the quality of the film as of yet? Is it a good and accurate BluRay release?

VanWinkle

Can anyone who got the Walmart one possibly post a picture? Is the inner case the same as the standard (the movie poster?) Is the only difference the slip cover?

The cover under the slipcase is the same as the normal movie poster cover, yeah.

Anth0ny

"This is a marvelous presentation from Disney and the best any Star Wars movie has ever looked on home video."

That says enough for me. Thanks!

That's actually not saying much. Pretty sure every Star Wars has looked like shit on blu ray with perhaps the exception of episode 3?

Nonetheless, TFA looks fantastic. Must own blu ray.

Redeemed my uv code in Disney movies anywhere. Vudu version didn't get the special features but Amazon did. Is there anyway to fix that? I primarily use vudu and don't want to pay another $20 just to have the special features there

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Why isn't this out in the UK. Why do we have to wait until the 18th? WTF.

Has anyone heard a review about the 4k/UHD version from Vudu? I am debating which digital version to buy. if it is not a step up, I'll just get it through Google Play.

LosDaddie

Banned
My wife picked up the Target version today. I just have to study for my PE after work and then head home to watch the movie by 8pm

That's actually not saying much. Pretty sure every Star Wars has looked like shit on blu ray with perhaps the exception of episode 3?

Nonetheless, TFA looks fantastic. Must own blu ray.

Huh? I've thought all SW movies looked great on bluray.

pompidu

WTF best buy. Don't buy online and pick-up at store, they throw massive stickers on the fucking slip cover. Who does that.

Ughh. Not that big of a deal but y do that.

Dave_6

WTF best buy. Don't buy online and pick-up at store, they throw massive stickers on the fucking slip cover. Who does that.

Ughh. Not that big of a deal but y do that.

If you like slipcovers then buy some Goo Gone. Works wonders on removing sticker residue and BB's are some of the hardest to remove.

Hex

Banned
Just curious for those who have redeemed the digi copy.
I know with a few movies recently, Fury Road was one, and Conjuring the Vudu also unlocked the 4k version.
Which versions do the TFA unlock?

If you like slipcovers then buy some Goo Gone. Works wonders on removing sticker residue and BB's are some of the hardest to remove.

He's talking about the pickup sticker, not the price tag. I agree the price tag sticker kind of blows, but the pick up sticker is more or less a non issue.

pompidu

He's talking about the pickup sticker, not the price tag. I agree the price tag sticker kind of blows, but the pick up sticker is more or less a non issue.

There was 4 stickers on there, 3 of them best buy. 2 came off easily the other two were a struggle, not a big deal just a stupid decision that could ruin items with stickers.

D23

Returning the target version and just going to get the regular.

that case sucks! and plus the bonus content is not even on the disc. wtf

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Just curious for those who have redeemed the digi copy.
I know with a few movies recently, Fury Road was one, and Conjuring the Vudu also unlocked the 4k version.
Which versions do the TFA unlock?

What? I redeemed Fury Road on Vudu and it didn't give me UHD.
TFA doesn't even currently show up as available in UHD at all.

Not a fan of the stacked BluRay discs. Will probably toss the DVD into a sleeve and move the Bonus disc over to that peg, although since the right peg is made for two discs it means the movie will be kind of loose... Damn. :\

TAJ

HDX movies are 1080p, but just encoded at a higher bitrate.

It's the only 1080p they have. Their "HD" is 720p, or at least was last I checked.
You're probably thinking of "SuperHD" on Netflix.

Gravidee

Huh? I've thought all SW movies looked great on bluray.

TPM experienced some DNR and sharpening filters in its picture. AOTC looks too soft. ROTS is considered perfect. And although the OT generally has good picture quality, people were expecting a new remaster treatment similar to what Alien and Aliens got for their BD releases. Instead they reused the 2K transfers from the 2004 DVD releases as a base. So, not to say any of them looked looked bad on blu-ray, it's just that with the exception of Episode III, they should have all looked as good as they possibly could, with no expense spared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom