• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens video release date, editions announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

God damn, the music queue that hits when Rey force-pulls the lightsaber out of the snow is just perfect. I'm not even a big Star Wars guy, but that moment hit me just as much watching the blu-ray as it did in the theater.

Also, I still like the film overall, but it's borderline religious adherence to the OT really stuck out this time around. I completely understand why they felt they needed to do that given the response to the prequels, but I'm really hoping Ep. 8 and 9 aren't as afraid to stray away from the OT and this trilogy can have an identity of it's own.

I can see that despite thinking the actual elements that make up the film being different enough. I mean, it's like this is movie 7, and by this point people crave a lot of change. It's understandable and I get it. I still think it did plenty enough new to be its own thing, but after a while people want something WILD.

Cue Episode VIII.

Watching the blu right now. I really do love this movie. Kylo is such a great villain imo. I hope he stays evil.

SoGood.gif

I think there are two ways they could go. Kylo is a redemption character. OR we see a legitimate story arc for a villain which would be incredibly rare.
As in:
part 1: lose
part 2: train
part 3: full on Sith lord badass confronting Rey (or whoever) again.

Which I think could be incredible, the only issue is that Rey would be doing the same thing, and we all know what the outcome would be.

Really curious what they do with his character, but if he dominates Rey next movie and then has a redemption in IX basically parallel to Vader I'll be a little disappointed.

Slixshot

Banned
I think there are two ways they could go. Kylo is a redemption character. OR we see a legitimate story arc for a villain which would be incredibly rare.
As in:
part 1: lose
part 2: train
part 3: full on Sith lord badass confronting Rey (or whoever) again.

Which I think could be incredible, the only issue is that Rey would be doing the same thing, and we all know what the outcome would be.

Really curious what they do with his character, but if he dominates Rey next movie and then has a redemption in IX basically parallel to Vader I'll be a little disappointed.

She ded?

Just finished watching this. This really could've used a Dolby Atmos mix. homerdrool.gif

I was wondering why my home audio wasn't so great. Granted I have a cheap sound bar, sub and back L/R speakers (something I'm rectifying by year's end) BUT I feel like with Star Wars and the quality that surrounds it and its studio that it shouldn't have been so bare-bones in terms of audio quality. It still sounds GOOD on my setup, but I'm gonna be pumping green into a hardcore setup later in the year, and I want this movie to blow my dick off.

TheXbox

Is there a goof in the menu audio for the bonus features or what? It starts the rebel fanfare, then immediately cuts back and starts again. I can't tell if they fucked up or if it's just terrible editing. Jank is the last thing I expected on my Star Wars Blu ray.

I was wondering why my home audio wasn't so great. Granted I have a cheap sound bar, sub and back L/R speakers (something I'm rectifying by year's end) BUT I feel like with Star Wars and the quality that surrounds it and its studio that it shouldn't have been so bare-bones in terms of audio quality.

The DTS soundtrack on this disc isn't bare-bones. Or bad.

It's a really fucking good sound mix. Like, really good.

Granted, I don't have an ATMOS setup (which I've come to understand is to actual Atmos as LieMAX is to IMAX) so I can't speak to how much better it might have sounded, but I do have a 7.1 system and it sure as shit sounds clean to me.

I was wondering why my home audio wasn't so great. Granted I have a cheap sound bar, sub and back L/R speakers (something I'm rectifying by year's end) BUT I feel like with Star Wars and the quality that surrounds it and its studio that it shouldn't have been so bare-bones in terms of audio quality. It still sounds GOOD on my setup, but I'm gonna be pumping green into a hardcore setup later in the year, and I want this movie to blow my dick off.

What? The audio mix is really well done. The surrounds are very active and well done with what's going on in the scene. The Falcon chase on Jakku sounds amazing.

Granted, I don't have an ATMOS setup (which I've come to understand is to actual Atmos as LieMAX is to IMAX) so I can't speak to how much better it might have sounded, but I do have a 7.1 system and it sure as shit sounds clean to me.

Okay so, I have a 5.1 Vizio sound bar, with a wireless sub and back channel speakers. I watch Blu-rays through my PS4. It sounds good enough, and perhaps it's just my sound setup. Any idea how I should have my settings? In my PS4 audio settings, it is set to Bitstream Mix (DTS) and in the Bluray menu, the same. I've read that Linear PCM is uncompressed audio but I don't know how that applies to my settings in particular.

What? The audio mix is really well done. The surrounds are very active and well done with what's going on in the scene. The Falcon chase on Jakku sounds amazing.

Nah I'm not saying it sounds bad, I guess I should have been more particular in my post, concerning my own sound system which obviously is a problem on my end and not on the disc's end.

Okay so, I have a 5.1 Vizio sound bar, with a wireless sub and back channel speakers. I watch Blu-rays through my PS4. It sounds good enough, and perhaps it's just my sound setup. Any idea how I should have my settings? In my PS4 audio settings, it is set to Bitstream Mix (DTS) and in the Bluray menu, the same. I've read that Linear PCM is uncompressed audio but I don't know how that applies to my settings in particular.

Which model Vizio sound bar? How are you connecting it to your setup?

Okay so, I have a 5.1 Vizio sound bar, with a wireless sub and back channel speakers.

I know you're likely limited in what you can and can't have based on your living situation - tons of people are, it's why sound bars are such an attractive option.

But the bolded is probably the main problem. But again, I'm not super familiar with soundbars outside of watching a few movies here & there at friends' houses, but in my experiences, some of them are better at faking a soundstage than others, and some home theater mixes are better at facilitating that auditory trickery.

-griffy-

Banned
Honestly not sure, I'm looking online and it seems to have been replaced recently by a new model so I have no idea specifically what model it is. BUT, it looks identical to this http://www.walmart.com/ip/VIZIO-SB3851-C0-38-5.1-Sound-Bar-System/43737419

I have an optical cable running from my PS4 to the sound bar, directly, and my PS4 set to Bitstream Mix DTS.
If you're using optical that means you aren't getting the full DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix, just regular DTS, as HD audio can't run through optical. Need to run HDMI through a receiver that supports HD audio formats (or LPCM) to get them. Also the soundbar is hurting you compared to a proper 5.1 setup.

I know you're likely limited in what you can and can't have based on your living situation - tons of people are, it's why sound bars are such an attractive option.

But the bolded is probably the main problem. But again, I'm not super familiar with soundbars outside of watching a few movies here & there at friends' houses, but in my experiences, some of them are better at faking a soundstage than others, and some home theater mixes are better at facilitating that auditory trickery.

Yeah, honestly not really-- we can afford better. We just rented into a new house and finances were being treated with a level of respect but I couldn't wait, I had to have something other than TV audio so for now I settled with that.

Later in the year we're planning on getting our own house, not renting, so we've been cheap with what we buy, sound bar included. It still sounds AWESOME compared to TV audio but it is by no means some high end equipment

If you're using optical that means you aren't getting the full DTS-HD Master Audio sound mix, just regular DTS, as HD audio can't run through optical. Need to run HDMI through a receiver that supports HD audio formats (or LPCM) to get them. Also the soundbar is hurting you compared to a proper 5.1 setup.

Yeah, no HDMI receiver, the sound bar only does optical and AV.

Yeah, honestly not really-- we can afford better. We just rented into a new house and finances were being treated with a level of respect but I couldn't wait, I had to have something other than TV audio so for now I settled with that.

Later in the year we're planning on getting our own house, not renting, so we've been cheap with what we buy, sound bar included. It still sounds AWESOME compared to TV audio but it is by no means some high end equipment.

Hah, understood. Later down the line, when shit's all in order, you can get really decent 7.1 sound for not much cash (although obviously, spending more will likely get you better results, so long as you're being careful about what you're buying). My own set-up is strictly mid-tier at the highest, but every new piece of the chain that I've replaced over the last 10+ years has been a significant upgrade even within the same price range.

But yeah, you're gonna need HDMI capable receiver, fronts, surrounds & a center to get where you wanna go, eventually. Griff already pointed out the problem w/ still using optical.

Hah, understood. Later down the line, when shit's all in order, you can get really decent 7.1 sound for not much cash (although obviously, spending more will likely get you better results, so long as you're being careful about what you're buying). My own set-up is strictly mid-tier at the highest, but every new piece of the chain that I've replaced over the last 10+ years has been a significant upgrade even within the same price range.

But yeah, you're gonna need HDMI capable receiver, fronts, surrounds & a center to get where you wanna go, eventually. Griff already pointed out the problem w/ still using optical.

It's just fucked up that optical is now obsolete lol. I mean, damn.

Yeah, the mix was very, very good. I don't have Atmos at all, and am still on 5.1 due to space. But the mix on this was incredibly active and balanced. I am glad that one of the parts of the sound that I loved in theaters still shone through on the home version, which is the lightsabers. They just sound deeper and more aggressive than ever. I especially love how the place seems to shake after the saber is lit up after "the catch" in the final battle. Such a hype moment.

-griffy-

Banned
The nice thing is you can get a decent receiver and inexpensive speakers to start, and then upgrade to nicer speakers over time. Then you'll have nice speakers, and when Super Ultra 6k HDMIv8.1 for 4D Smell-o-Vision® becomes standard, you'll just need to get a new receiver rather than all new speakers.

The nice thing is you can get a decent receiver and inexpensive speakers to start, and then upgrade to nicer speakers over time. Then you'll have nice speakers, and when Super Ultra 6k HDMIv8.1 for 4D Smell-o-Vision® becomes standard, you'll just need to get a new receiver rather than all new speakers.

I plan on going all-in on the receiver at first, I want top of the line shit without the need to upgrade for a long time.

Yup. I am still using cheaper speakers, but upgraded the receiver twice in the last 16 years. I did two subwoofer upgrades though. The first one was cheap, and then my big JBL one got fried so I replaced that in late 2014.

I will probably upgrade the receiver again in the next year so I can get more HDMI inputs as well as Atmos and DTS X capabilities, and then upgrade speakers after that.

I plan on going all-in on the receiver at first, I want top of the line shit without the need to upgrade for a long time.

Don't need to go too crazy with that at first, but don't go cheap on it. It will be the heart of your HT for a long, long time. Look at getting one that has more inputs than you need right now though, so it is easy to keep adding new stuff.

And this seems like a good time to pimp Harmony remotes again. Those things are life changing.

mattp

unless you need the extra features/ports of a higher end receiver, it's not really worth the money. because the sound quality doesn't change all that much til you start spending WAY more money

get nice speakers

It's just fucked up that optical is now obsolete lol. I mean, damn.

Yeah, I hit that wall about 4 years ago when I finally made the jump to blu (late bloomer) and was all confused like Donnie telling Rocky about the cloud.

"What you mean I can't use this?"

Still works on w/ my LASERDISCS, THO.

edit: Griff, Matt & Phonciple's got the right idea w/r/t building/upgrading your home theater.

God damn, the music queue that hits when Rey force-pulls the lightsaber out of the snow is just perfect. I'm not even a big Star Wars guy, but that moment hit me just as much watching the blu-ray as it did in the theater..
that moment also totally gives me the feelz too

Sephzilla

God damn, the music queue that hits when Rey force-pulls the lightsaber out of the snow is just perfect. I'm not even a big Star Wars guy, but that moment hit me just as much watching the blu-ray as it did in the theater.

Yeah, the music really makes that a great moment.

mattp

This is what I have on my Amazon Wishlist as a reminder for when I eventually get a new/larger TV that's inevitably 4K.

yep
you can spend between 250-500 and get a great receiver, depending on how many ports or fluffy extra features you need

"top of the line" is gonna be a waste of money, if you have cheap speakers
good speakers will go a MUCH longer way in giving you great sound quality

edit: example
i have this receiver, currently http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V5VJ3TM/?tag=neogaf0e-20
but with a pair of these speakers(they were a gift, heh) http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RTQL8M/?tag=neogaf0e-20

and it sounds fucking incredible

yep
you can spend between 250-500 and get a great receiver, depending on how many ports or fluffy extra features you need

"top of the line" is gonna be a waste of money, if you have cheap speakers
good speakers will go a MUCH longer way in giving you great sound quality

haha, by top of the line this is pretty much what I meant lol

yeah been looking at Denon and Onkyo.

thanks for the suggestions to everyone, it's all in line with the details I've been getting about good sound setups online.

mattp

haha, by top of the line this is pretty much what I meant lol

yeah been looking at Denon and Onkyo.

thanks for the suggestions to everyone, it's all in line with the details I've been getting about good sound setups online.

ah ok haha
so ignore me!

the wire cutter has great receiver recommendations

Yeah, no HDMI receiver, the sound bar only does optical and AV.

I just got the new Vizio 40 inch sounds bar which is an improved version of what you have and it has HDMI plus optical etc. it sounds great and the wireless surround and sub are very good. It is an improvement from my Yamaha/Kenwood 5.1 setup. I love that it is all clean with no visible wires. It was surprised by the sound quality, so don't rule out soundbars totally, if you like the look.

I am glad that one of the parts of the sound that I loved in theaters still shone through on the home version, which is the lightsabers. They just sound deeper and more aggressive than ever. I especially love how the place seems to shake after the saber is lit up after "the catch" in the final battle. Such a hype moment.

I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like how they changed the audio for Anakin/Luke's lightsaber ignition. They made it way more bass heavy than it ever was in the last six movies and it just sounded different. I never got that feeling from any of the other movies. I don't mind Kylo Ren's sounding different because it's a different saber, but it was odd to me that a saber we've seen in three previous movies sounding different.

I just got the new Vizio 40 inch sounds bar which is an improved version of what you have and it has HDMI plus optical etc. it sounds great and the wireless surround and sub are very good. It is an improvement from my Yamaha/Kenwood 5.1 setup. I love that it is all clean with no visible wires. It was surprised by the sound quality, so don't rule out soundbars totally, if you like the look.

I've read a lot of discussion that the HDMI is neutered on that sound bar though. It can do DD and DTS over optical, but it can only do PCM over HDMI from what I've read. I was on the cusp of picking up that sound bar for an outdoor setup until I read that problem. Can you confirm if you've experienced the same thing?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Back to BB8. What is the best toy version of him to get? I don't think getting a real one is in the cards so I will have to settle for something cool to stick on my desk next to my R2.

For likeness?
1. Hot Toys, but it's almost $300 because it's bundled with Rey.
2. Bandai 1/12-scale snap kit with paint ($20-30, but comes with a great R2-D2)
3. Bandai 1/12-scale snap kit without paint.
4. 6" Black Series, bundled with Rey. (6" in this case just means a 6' character in this line would be 6". In other words, 1/12-scale.)

The Bandai one has a lighter accessory. (and a couple others)

http://postimage.org/

There's also an ArtFx one coming next month.

kris.

Banned
i guess my mom picked up a blu-ray copy last night and she's giving me the digital download copy that it came with and i know what i'm doing tonight

hansolosmile-165194.jpg

I might be in the minority here, but I didn't like how they changed the audio for Anakin/Luke's lightsaber ignition. They made it way more bass heavy than it ever was in the last six movies and it just sounded different. I never got that feeling from any of the other movies. I don't mind Kylo Ren's sounding different because it's a different saber, but it was odd to me that a saber we've seen in three previous movies sounding different.
the audio being different did throw me a bit, but the three times it gets ignited are so awesome that I feel the bass heavy sound amplifies the scene. Particularly when Finn first lights it up, ("You already have a weapon!") and especially when Rey lights it up. You just know shit got very real at that point.

I think I have watched the lightsaber duel about ten times in the last day.

I've read a lot of discussion that the HDMI is neutered on that sound bar though. It can do DD and DTS over optical, but it can only do PCM over HDMI from what I've read. I was on the cusp of picking up that sound bar for an outdoor setup until I read that problem. Can you confirm if you've experienced the same thing?

I have it connected via HDMI and it does DD when my tv is set to bitstream. No problems, but I will say I got a Vizio TV and soundbar so they could be as compatible as possible. I know that sometimes components from different manufacturers don't play together nicely. I think it did DTS too but I have not checked that in a while.

Effect

So I forgot I had preordered a copy from Amazon back in December. I had planned on getting the Target version though due to the extra content. Well the regular blu-ray arrived today and family member picked up the Target version for me. Looking at both and the Target version and really annoyed case isn't better. I do like it's the same size, for the most part, as the regular version. I've watching an unboxing of it and I do like the artwork they decided to use. I'm sort of pissed though the extra content isn't even on the damn disc though. That's some BS.

I could return both and just buy the regular blu-ray but I already them and don't want to wait even longer to see the movie again. The art work at the very least is making the extra cost for the Target version somewhat worth along with the extra footage. So I'm leaning more towards keep the Target version. Which was a position I didn't have an hour ago after looking at both for the first time.

Anyone decided to keep the Target version upon getting it?

Apparently I got mine like right when it was about to be discountinued, but I paid very little for it and get very good sound out of it so it's okay for now. I guess just my first moment of distress was trying to get great audio out of the TFA Blu-ray and failing, and then foolishly blaming it on the disc.

-griffy-

Banned
the audio being different did throw me a bit, but the three times it gets ignited are so awesome that I feel the bass heavy sound amplifies the scene. Particularly when Finn first lights it up, ("You already have a weapon!") and especially when Rey lights it up. You just know shit got very real at that point.

I think I have watched the lightsaber duel about ten times in the last day.

It's so good. The sound design on Kylo's saber is phenomenal.

Raine

Nah I'm not saying it sounds bad, I guess I should have been more particular in my post, concerning my own sound system which obviously is a problem on my end and not on the disc's end.

I have the same sound system as you for one of my rooms. This isn't a high-end sound system by any means...but I'm getting exceptional sound out of this. I think you need to adjust your settings (soundbar). I had to tinker with the settings a bit to get this where I want it when I first bought it. I'm testing Force Awakens out right now just because of your post and this is definitely one of the best sounding blu-rays I have alongside Pacific Rim.

You should change your sound setting to Bitstream Direct in the audio settings on the PS4, by the way. I'm curious at what level you have your rear speakers at too.

I have the same sound system as you for one of my rooms. This isn't a high-end sound system by any means...but I'm getting exceptional sound out of this. I think you need to adjust your settings (soundbar). I had to tinker with the settings a bit to get this where I want it when I first bought it. I'm testing Force Awakens out right now just because of your post and this is definitely one of the best sounding blu-rays I have alongside Pacific Rim.

You should change your sound setting to Bitstream Direct in the audio settings on the PS4, by the way. I'm curious at what level you have your rear speakers at too.

So direct then? Thanks. The thing now is that we just switched living rooms and our current setup won't really allow the rear channel speakers, so I just have the actual soundbar and sub for now. Reason being it's temporary so I don't really care that much, but when I got the Bluray a few days ago I had the rears set up.

Settings wise, I had everything all the way up: center, surround, surround balance in the center, sub settings were around the middle because of a rattling sound rather than a level bass sound, truvolume was off, eco was off.

So I forgot I had preordered a copy from Amazon back in December. I had planned on getting the Target version though due to the extra content. Well the regular blu-ray arrived today and family member picked up the Target version for me. Looking at both and the Target version and really annoyed case isn't better. I do like it's the same size, for the most part, as the regular version. I've watching an unboxing of it and I do like the artwork they decided to use. I'm sort of pissed though the extra content isn't even on the damn disc though. That's some BS.

I could return both and just buy the regular blu-ray but I already them and don't want to wait even longer to see the movie again. The art work at the very least is making the extra cost for the Target version somewhat worth along with the extra footage. So I'm leaning more towards keep the Target version. Which was a position I didn't have an hour ago after looking at both for the first time.

Anyone decided to keep the Target version upon getting it?

I got the Target version but upon realizing how crappy it is, I've decided to make my own case for it rather than take it back. From the pictures I thought they had some sort of diamond-luxe style case rather than cheap cardboard shit.
I'm not really a fan of any of the retail cases. Mine is going to match my existing white case art.

I've already finished on the artwork, though my printer doesn't work so it may be a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom